IGNORED

No new contract for King??

Was never going to get another playing contract, but pretty sure he would have moved seamlessly into the coaching set up under Pearson. 

Don't know how good he was coaching, but it does seem like all the previous coaches are being moved on. Guess that comes with a new Boss moving in.

The question with King is a real binary one - I don’t think anyone believes he’s good enough as a player at this level any longer so is he good enough as a coach. Nobody can be definite there but any reports from younger players say how good he is so I’m inclined to say with his experience and that in mind he’s worth keeping around as long as it works financially.

However, two things.

- We have to assume the person who questioned him as a player is still at the club. That may make for a difficult working relationship

- If he’s been told now, then I don’t think it’s end of season. I think he may be released this month, particularly as injuries return.

Seems a bit of a shame overall.

• Like 7

• Admin
5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Was never going to get another playing contract, but pretty sure he would have moved seamlessly into the coaching set up under Pearson. 

Not sure he was, I believe there was serious talk of him moving out of the area last summer 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Unless he is moving to a club a long way away, there's nothing stopping them staying in Bristol 

Weren't they  settled in Leicester , guess that's what she means by home ?

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Well that’s a real bummer.  In my heart of hearts, I’d hoped LM would keep him around.  His exoerience, guidance of young players will be a big loss.

It will be. However I feel the club (JL and BT) see King as part of the Pearson setup.

I think we all know they would like all traces of Pearson removed.

• Like 5
  • Flames 3

5 minutes ago, The Coach said:

It will be. However I feel the club (JL and BT) see King as part of the Pearson setup.

Just like how in their 2023 recap, no pictures of Pearson were shown. But pictures of Manning was. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Well that’s a real bummer.  In my heart of hearts, I’d hoped LM would keep him around.  His exoerience, guidance of young players will be a big loss.

Think once Cisse got elevated to the first team pool with Manning bringing in Hogg & that other bloke whose name escapes me, then it was fairly likely.

Think he’s known for a while that he wouldn’t be kept on this summer, be very interesting to see if anyone else who is rumoured to be in the same boat also goes next summer.

Can’t see his early departure would exactly free up much room to add another so presumably we go with what we have & hope Sykes is back soon.

• Like 1

King re-signed under Nige as player/coach. Unfortunately he’s been injured but I imagine he’s been involved at Failand.

Iirc Manning mentioned how important it is to have senior players like King around the group so he maybe wants King to stay on as a coach?

As a lifelong City fan I’m sure he’d love to stay at the club.

Edited by Robbored
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

King re-signed under Nige as player/coach. Unfortunately he’s been injured but I imagine he’s been involved at Failand.

Iirc Manning mentioned how important it is to have senior players like King around the group so he maybe wants to King as a coach.

As a lifelong City fan I’m sure he’d love to stay at the club.

So how does that fit with his wife saying they'll be sad to leave Bristol ? Obviously LM/BT/JL - take your pick - has indicated he won't be offered anything after this season. It's not that difficult to understand.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Or they just don't want wages being spent on players who'll barely get on the pitch, experience is great, but its better when its spent on people who'll play

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Wasn't going to be retained on the playing side, even under Nige. 

I've heard he doesn't want to retire from playing so will presumably be in talks with other Championship/L1 clubs. 

That would make sense.  He was available pretty much all of last season and still 'only' 35.  He hasn't played load in recent years so maybe his legs are a bit younger! 

From the interviews, it seems he's been a massively positive influence on all the young lads so hopefully he will have a coaching role with us in the future. 

7 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Or they just don't want wages being spent on players who'll barely get on the pitch, experience is great, but its better when its spent on people who'll play

Not always. Experienced players set standards to the younger players. Something we never had under DH or LJ.

King was brought in for this number one reason in my view. It’s helped rid laziness and players who hide in changing rooms at the training ground.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

So how does that fit with his wife saying they'll be sad to leave Bristol ? Obviously LM/BT/JL - take your pick - has indicated he won't be offered anything after this season. It's not that difficult to understand.

It probably hasn’t occurred to you CR but a wife going public could be a double bluff - it’s not that difficult to understand…………:cool2:

• Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Wasn't going to be retained on the playing side, even under Nige. 

I've heard he doesn't want to retire from playing so will presumably be in talks with other Championship/L1 clubs. 

Well if his mrs wants to stay in Bristol, I guess a reunion with our old boys over at the mem could be an option? Not a good one, but an option..

• Sad 1