IGNORED

3 goals in 7 games…

BCFCGav

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I enjoyed last night, but I think in some respects that was because we didn’t give the ball away unnecessarily against PL opponents, nor did they knock it about without us getting a kick either, so I had different expectations last night.  That’s no bad thing against better opposition, but you can argue the way we play allowed for quite a structured passing game….and it was the non-structured stuff that brought the real excitement - Vyner’s run, Cornick’s break and shot from Pring.

I want to see us take this into league games, BUT…take more chances with those passes into the attack minded players.  I’m hard to please because I thought we tried to force things too quickly against Watford, but in my defence I think we did it from a position of poor possession too often.  Last night we had good possesion.

Oh I totally agree Dave...and I've noted how structured we are, which I hope isn't detriment to when we go ' unstructured '. 

I mentioned last week that we seem to become clueless when Dickie advances and breaks the lines. What fractionally becomes an advantage turns to a disadvantage when he has to stop, with no option to pass in front of him, and has to go sideways or backwards, to start again in the very structured manner. 

I'd love to know why Vyner chose to pass to Tommy last night. Tommy's run wider, took a defender with him, to open up a shooting opportunity for Vyner. One step left, shot on left foot to a less gaurded goal. He didn't do it, when it was the obvious action. 

I'm hoping instinct and the chances that come from actions outside of the structure, don't get stifeld for fear of retribution for going outside the remit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Oh I totally agree Dave...and I've noted how structured we are, which I hope isn't detriment to when we go ' unstructured '. 

I mentioned last week that we seem to become clueless when Dickie advances and breaks the lines. What fractionally becomes an advantage turns to a disadvantage when he has to stop, with no option to pass in front of him, and has to go sideways or backwards, to start again in the very structured manner. 

I'd love to know why Vyner chose to pass to Tommy last night. Tommy's run wider, took a defender with him, to open up a shooting opportunity for Vyner. One step left, shot on left foot to a less gaurded goal. He didn't do it, when it was the obvious action. 

I'm hoping instinct and the chances that come from actions outside of the structure, don't get stifeld for fear of retribution for going outside the remit. 

True, it’s the “unstructured” passage of play that often makes the difference. That’s why I like McCrorie, always has options and if a player commits will do him on the inside rather than play an easy ball backwards. Those little breaks can unhinge the opposition structure.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Generally I agree with you. The big difference for me last night was a lot more FORWARD passing was evident. Reset has been overdone in a number of recent games, I think that’s been obvious. We all know we have an issue in the final third but there was a lot less “unnecessary” backwards and sideways last night imo.

Agree 100%.

For a long time we've been a team that could barely string a few passes together.

Now Tinnion has decided to appoint a possession heart coach - despite us having few players suited to that style.

To change tack so drastically will take time and new/better players. Manning has had neither, imo.

Yet last night there was clear evidence that the players we have are slowly adapting - especially the defenders.

If we're now building from the Back much more, it's the defenders who need to be a heck of a lot more technical and a heck of a lot more braver than they used to be. Without the defenders getting up to speed the whole system falls flat on its arse. But last night showed our defenders can play that way and do it well, against an above Championship standard team.

So step 1 achieved, base camp established.

Of course the final third needs improving but that won't happen over night. I'd argue there hasn't been time yet to either tweak our tactics, improve our current attacking players or upgrade with new ones. Again, time and money needed for that - ie the summer.

But if we can play like we did against Champ teams between now and the end of the season, add Twine and maybe one more new attacker, I reckon we'll create plenty in the meantime. Forest defender no.40 played well last night - and at times had to.

Last night was a step forward for me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I'd love to know why Vyner chose to pass to Tommy last night.

Me too.....he did all the work excellently......making Prem defenders look like the were stood still.........I was willing him to shoot.....could have been a FA Cup goal shown on the reel of memories going forward.

Alas, he opted to pass to his right....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Agree 100%.

For a long time we've been a team that could barely string a few passes together.

Now Tinnion has decided to appoint a possession heart coach - despite us having few players suited to that style.

To change tack so drastically will take time and new/better players. Manning has had neither, imo.

Yet last night there was clear evidence that the players we have are slowly adapting - especially the defenders.

If we're now building from the Back much more, it's the defenders who need to be a heck of a lot more technical and a heck of a lot more braver than they used to be. Without the defenders getting up to speed the whole system falls flat on its arse. But last night showed our defenders can play that way and do it well, against an above Championship standard team.

So step 1 achieved, base camp established.

Of course the final third needs improving but that won't happen over night. I'd argue there hasn't been time yet to either tweak our tactics, improve our current attacking players or upgrade with new ones. Again, time and money needed for that - ie the summer.

But if we can play like we did against Champ teams between now and the end of the season, add Twine and maybe one more new attacker, I reckon we'll create plenty in the meantime. Forest defender no.40 played well last night - and at times had to.

Last night was a step forward for me.

This time next year Rodney we'll be millionaires. 

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

At what point do our fans realise we're once again playing 3 at the back and then start to call for Manning to change it? Feels like we've been down this road before...

As soon as he did it, I was like FFS 🙄🤷🙈

McCrorie became available, Sykes  out. 

If he continues with it when Sykes is available I'll definitely question it more. 

Hopefully he isn't thinking Tanner is playing well and shouldn't be dropped, but he wants to fit McCrorie in as well. 

So changing structure to fit players. 

LJ did this. 

• Like 2

On 27/01/2024 at 19:39, W-S-M Seagull said:

At what point do our fans realise we're once again playing 3 at the back and then start to call for Manning to change it? Feels like we've been down this road before...

On 27/01/2024 at 19:50, spudski said:

As soon as he did it, I was like FFS 🙄🤷🙈

McCrorie became available, Sykes  out. 

If he continues with it when Sykes is available I'll definitely question it more. 

Hopefully he isn't thinking Tanner is playing well and shouldn't be dropped, but he wants to fit McCrorie in as well. 

So changing structure to fit players. 

LJ did this. 

Agree with you both.

I have misgivings about the back 3, especially with e.g. no Naismith or Atkinson to improve the balance but more generally I don't think it suits us.

McCrorie/Tanner-Sykes right side seems the way to go there and that tends to be best in a back 4.

Maybe a back 3 if you expressly pair Conway with a striker but overall it feels imbalanced to me.

• Thanks 1