IGNORED

Conway and Wells must start together!

BCFCOFSWEDEN

On 15/01/2024 at 13:33, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I hope we aren’t being lured in to overpaying here out of desperation. 

Of course, I want the board to back the manager but I don’t want to see us back where we were. All previous work could be undone here so quickly out of JL/BT vanity. 

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

How do you fit them together as a 

Edited by Bristolisredd
  • Like 1

Conway does play 10, I’m sure I’ve heard that. He could be one of the split 10’s with Nahki as the 9. No harm in giving it a few games, there were signs of link-up tonight in the minimal minutes they shared. 

For Leeds, maybe a 3-4-3 of:

Max: Tanner, Vyner, Dickie: McCrorie, Williams, Knight, Pring: Conway, Wells, Mehmeti.

Assuming all the injured lot still are come Friday. 

Naismith in for Tanner and Twine in for Anis when all fit. Could be nice.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

O'Leary

Tanner Vyner Dickie

Mccrorie Williams TGH Pring

Conway Twine

Wells

Is one version and looks brilliant to me. 

Conway further forward in a more traditional 3-5-2 is another 

What are you confused about @petehinton?

The top formation is what we are playing at the moment and what we played for the last 20 mins tonight.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

What are you confused about @petehinton?

The top formation is what we are playing at the moment and what we played for the last 20 mins tonight.

Conway in a 10 is a monumental waste imo. Cant sacrifice playing him out of position, especially when we are struggling for goals and he has a foot out the door. Playing him out of position harms on both fronts. 

We played it last 20, but we’d be insane to start like it, we are so open and went gung ho last 20 likely due to LM’s desperation to get a win under the belt. Would be very surprised if it ends up being ‘us’ next season, though wouldn’t shock me as you can’t leave any of Dickie Vyner or Atkinson out with their quality, and that’s without Naismith in the conversation too. 

Still a lot of ‘need time to figure it out’ about us at the minute, which is the total opposite of what we were told to expect. 

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Conway in a 10 is a monumental waste imo. Cant sacrifice playing him out of position, especially when we are struggling for goals and he has a foot out the door. Playing him out of position harms on both fronts. 

We played it last 20, but we’d be insane to start like it, we are so open and went gung ho last 20 likely due to LM’s desperation to get a win under the belt. Would be very surprised if it ends up being ‘us’ next season, though wouldn’t shock me as you can’t leave any of Dickie Vyner or Atkinson out with their quality, and that’s without Naismith in the conversation too. 

Still a lot of ‘need time to figure it out’ about us at the minute, which is the total opposite of what we were told to expect. 

We'll have to disagree about Conways best position then as I certainly don't think it's being alone up front as a 9. He is a beautiful 10 to me, linking the play, scoring goals.

As for the formation it's basically Conway instead of Mehmeti which is hardly going to break us defensively

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

We'll have to disagree about Conways best position then as I certainly don't think it's being alone up front as a 9. He is a beautiful 10 to me, linking the play, scoring goals.

As for the formation it's basically Conway instead of Mehmeti which is hardly going to break us defensively

I agree he’s not a sole 9, he needs to play in a two man strike partnership. 

5 minutes ago, Cannybluff said:

Feels a bit like formation is being used as an excuse. One can drop deeper, they can be fluid, one can drift wide to create space... etc. Formations are overrated. Players don't stand in their tactics board positions all game no? 

To a degree but a base shape can cause notable differences in tactics and approach.

There is a reason a lot of top top sides here and abroad lean towards 4-3-3.

40 minutes ago, Better Red said:

With Sykes as a front 3

Bell and Mehmeti not at the same level at the moment

Mehmeti is a league one player, another one to move on in summer.

10 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Agree totally. Play Conway as a 10, he’s not a number 9. Wells currently is our best striker. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Well….few, if any of us fully understand what method/shape and style of play that Manning is trying to implement but it’s been pretty obvious so far that he doesn’t like playing two up top and tonight was no exception only Wells instead of Conway being the isolated striker - sure Knight, Bell and Mehmeti were trying supporting him but nevertheless it was still one up top.

Others have described how it would be possible to accommodate two strikers despite that none of us can work out what Manning is trying to do…………:dunno:

59 minutes ago, BCFCOFSWEDEN said:

It is misconduct of Maning to have Wells or Conway on the bench and let Mehmeti and Bell start ahead of them!
They can play together and have done so before!
Conway created more than Bell and Mehmeti in the few minutes he played!

Agreed those two were poor quicker sykes is back the better 

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just pick them both and any other 8 outfield players.  Wells and Conway are clever enough to know where to position themselves.

I've heard we need a new keeper, I'm sure if someone left a pair of gloves knocking around either one of the pair would pick them up.

1 hour ago, Cannybluff said:

Feels a bit like formation is being used as an excuse. One can drop deeper, they can be fluid, one can drift wide to create space... etc. Formations are overrated. Players don't stand in their tactics board positions all game no? 

Kind of my point above….and boy do I get a bit aroused when I read someone else say “formations are overrated” 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Just pick them both and any other 8 outfield players.  Wells and Conway are clever enough to know where to position themselves.

Pretty much this 😂

When Conway came on it kinda felt like it did when we switched to the 433 under Nige. In the sense that it just felt more natural. They just instantly knew what to do. 

Ive seen a lot of people writing Wells off but I felt he was fantastic tonight and his goal was real class. 

If we can somehow find a way to play Twine, Conway, Wells and Sykes together then that would really excite me. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Pretty much this 😂

When Conway came on it kinda felt like it did when we switched to the 433 under Nige. In the sense that it just felt more natural. They just instantly knew what to do. 

Ive seen a lot of people writing Wells off but I felt he was fantastic tonight and his goal was real class. 

If we can somehow find a way to play Twine, Conway, Wells and Sykes together then that would really excite me. 

it felt like was more interplay between them tonight in 25 mins than Tommy has had with anyone else for several games.

I think you could get those 4 into a starting eleven.

I honestly don’t see why you couldn’t play something like:

BACK FOUR

TWO OF Knight TGH James Williams

Twine

Sykes Wells Conway

I’m sure Tommy and Nahki would be fluid around each other, and Sykes probably be more disciplined.  It’s no different to Semenyo playing closer to Conway or Wells last season.

Those 4x CMs can rotate to stay fresh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

it felt like was more interplay between them tonight in 25 mins than Tommy has had with anyone else for several games.

I think you could get those 4 into a starting eleven.

I honestly don’t see why you couldn’t play something like:

BACK FOUR

TWO OF Knight TGH James Williams

Twine

Sykes Wells Conway

I’m sure Tommy and Nahki would be fluid around each other, and Sykes probably be more disciplined.  It’s no different to Semenyo playing closer to Conway or Wells last season.

Those 4x CMs can rotate to stay fresh.

That could work Dave. Twine and Conway could interchange to offer up a bit of unpredictability which we lack. 

How does this new stacking signing we are after fit into this tho? 

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

That could work Dave. Twine and Conway could interchange to offer up a bit of unpredictability which we lack. 

How does this new stacking signing we are after fit into this tho? 

Got no idea.  Preparing to be surprised, hopefully in a good way.