IGNORED

Section 82 ?

1 hour ago, Red94 said:

I’ve tried to start these ‘older’ songs so many times in S26 but no one knows them so they don’t pick up. In the end I just give up trying 🤷‍♂️

Anything that dosent have a ‘tune’ that everyone bounces to is basically dismissed. Imagine how loud it would be if we get the whole section to shout the 1,2,3,4,5, if you want to stay alive

9 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Anything that dosent have a ‘tune’ that everyone bounces to is basically dismissed. Imagine how loud it would be if we get the whole section to shout the 1,2,3,4,5, if you want to stay alive

See, this is a bit daft,

When in the last 20 years has that happened at Ashton gate? 

17 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

‘You’re going in the river’

😙

One for the old uns and a few would have a breakdown if that was ever sung , probably make the nationals 🙄

When an opponent goes down ‘ hit him on the head , hit him on the head , hit him on the head with a baseball bat , on the head’ . Moderately aggressive wouldn’t you say? 
And the beautifully melodic ‘you’re gonna get your freaking heads kicked in’ .

The generous deep harmonies of ‘ you’ll be dead by five o’clock’ 

Ah we loved a sing song back in the day. 

For me a killer for singing is being sat down , mingled into a crowd on the terrace you became part of one unit and were carried along ( sometimes literally) by the singing and would join in without being  self conscious. 
I think we are also generally quieter by nature than those loud Northern monkeys . 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

When an opponent goes down ‘ hit him on the head , hit him on the head , hit him on the head with a baseball bat , on the head’ . Moderately aggressive wouldn’t you say? 

For me a killer for singing is being sat down , mingled into a crowd on the terrace you became part of one unit and were carried along ( sometimes literally) by the singing and would join in without being  self conscious. 
I think we are also generally quieter by nature than those loud Northern monkeys . 

There she goes, expanding singing section please

• Admin
3 hours ago, Redshorts said:

Instead of doing huddle in the centre of pitch just before kick off, they have it by corner flag where section 82 is. I've seen other teams, get closer to sections in ground to show they are all together. 

Thank you for clearing that up, but how does doing the huddle near the corner make all supporters feel more together

Surely this would just alienate every other supporter?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Thank you for clearing that up, but how does doing the huddle near the corner make all supporters feel more together

Surely this would just alienate every other supporter?

It already annoys me that they make a beeline to S82 to applaud them but then after that forget about the rest of the ground really. 

3 hours ago, OliOTIB said:

So to stay alive they need to be able to count ?

A few assorted thoughts on all of this:

• The reason why Ashton Gate is often quiet is because not enough fans are singing. We have 20k fans in the stadium - it's not the case that we're all singing but we magically produce no noise due to acoustics.

• The above being said, it doesn't help that our 'singing section' is crammed into a small corner of the stadium. Especially when you compare it to away fans having the full Atyeo end.

• As much as I'd love the atmosphere to improve at AG, I acknowledge that I have no right to tell others how they should go about enjoying the game. Provided someone has paid for a ticket, they're allowed to give more attention to their phone than the match, spend half the game in the concourse, and leave 10 minutes early should they wish to.

• There are no "right songs" or "wrong songs". It's like music. The older fans will likely think that football chants peaked in the 1980s, the younger fans will probably prefer some of the more modern stuff. That's just how it goes.

• Our club's situation doesn't help with the atmosphere. We've been very midtable with little concern of promotion/relegation for quite a while now. In recent years we've been conducting some very necessary, but not very exciting, cost cutting. We're also a side who have been relatively poor in terms of both home performances and results. This, coupled with growing dissatisfaction with the board, is a perfect recipe for a flat atmosphere.

• I think there's a difference between what we may want and what the club (JL) may want in terms of an atmosphere at AG. My impression is that the club don't want Ashton Gate to have a raucous or hostile atmosphere, their dream is for AG to be a fun, warm, family friendly day out - more akin to an Olympic event or a School Sports Day than a traditional English football match. It's not that the club "haven't thought about it" re the atmosphere, it's that they have thought about it but are aiming for something different to what most of the fans want.
  • Like 6

On 03/02/2024 at 15:18, Riaz said:

If you support city, you can’t really be a plastic fan. I’m talking more about so called fans of top 6 clubs 

Yea of course, but you see where I'm coming from - the intial decision to go watch City was based on them being the most successful side locally, even if that "success" is simply in relative terms to other options.

Similarly, growing up a lot of the kids my age went to watch Swindon - why? Because they were the better local team in the early 90s, and made it to the Prem. Some have still abandoned that for top 6 clubs or see Swindon as their "second" team though.

Just like I'm sure if we made the Prem and somehow stayed up, we'd see a huge influx of kids (and parents) more publically supporting City over the top 6 clubs.

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It already annoys me that they make a beeline to S82 to applaud them but then after that forget about the rest of the ground really. 

See but naturally the players will do that, it's where 90% of the songs in the ground are generated from and arguably where the players get the most adulation 

happens at most grounds 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

You often say this, and whilst the larger clubs have great away support.. there are also the numerous Northern clubs who have an even more tepid atmosphere than AG does.

Most people only see a club's away following - West Ham fans would have come away from the first leg thinking we create great noise, which we can do. Usually a very different experience watching at their home ground.

I wonder how many people contributing to this thread,complaining about the lack of atmosphere at AG,actually make any noise themselves,and I don’t just mean singing,that’s a personal choice.I mean things like shouting for free kicks,actually getting to their feet and roaring when we attack(I know,I know),getting on the other teams backs,basically making a right racket.Ask not what the atmosphere can do for you,but what you can do for the atmosphere.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

I wonder how many people contributing to this thread,complaining about the lack of atmosphere at AG,actually make any noise themselves,and I don’t just mean singing,that’s a personal choice.I mean things like shouting for free kicks,actually getting to their feet and roaring when we attack(I know,I know),getting on the other teams backs,basically making a right racket.Ask not what the atmosphere can do for you,but what you can do for the atmosphere.

Fair and valid points.

It is a bit of a copout but I would also suggest that the majority being all-seater and it is a product of the times doesn't help with it.

If seated people are more passive. Often. We are almost conditioned to be so..

*Majority all-seater.

*The loud music stifling potential for a more partisan atmosphere

*The slightly unsuited pre game music as we get closer to kick off.

*Downsy.

A bigger or 2nd Safe Standing area perhaps a 2nd one closer to away fans may set the tone.

Some of this is modern game related, some is City specific.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair and valid points.

It is a bit of a copout but I would also suggest that the majority being all-seater and it is a product of the times doesn't help with it.

*Majority all-seater.

*Downsy.

A bigger or 2nd Safe Standing area perhaps a 2nd one closer to away fans may set the tone.

Fair enough,but if my grass needs cutting,I do myself or it won’t get cut.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair and valid points.

*Majority all-seater.

*Downsy.

I’d agree to all of this 

Quite frankly i can’t see what Downsy brings to the show (not being rude to him)

It saddens me to know and have been at Ashton Gate when the noise and atmosphere has been unreal. 

Even when the old East End was sort half and half with away fans our lot could create a din. 

It really needs to be sorted by the club. 

Hopefully they have employees who read things like this and pass it on. 

Edited by Dolman Block B
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

"Show they're all together" by moving away from other fans?

Why not rename the club Section 82 FC while we're at it?

Aye, some fans do get a little carried away with their feeling of self importance over others. What complete and utter bollox.

7 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

A few assorted thoughts on all of this:

• The reason why Ashton Gate is often quiet is because not enough fans are singing. We have 20k fans in the stadium - it's not the case that we're all singing but we magically produce no noise due to acoustics.

• The above being said, it doesn't help that our 'singing section' is crammed into a small corner of the stadium. Especially when you compare it to away fans having the full Atyeo end.

• As much as I'd love the atmosphere to improve at AG, I acknowledge that I have no right to tell others how they should go about enjoying the game. Provided someone has paid for a ticket, they're allowed to give more attention to their phone than the match, spend half the game in the concourse, and leave 10 minutes early should they wish to.

• There are no "right songs" or "wrong songs". It's like music. The older fans will likely think that football chants peaked in the 1980s, the younger fans will probably prefer some of the more modern stuff. That's just how it goes.

• Our club's situation doesn't help with the atmosphere. We've been very midtable with little concern of promotion/relegation for quite a while now. In recent years we've been conducting some very necessary, but not very exciting, cost cutting. We're also a side who have been relatively poor in terms of both home performances and results. This, coupled with growing dissatisfaction with the board, is a perfect recipe for a flat atmosphere.

• I think there's a difference between what we may want and what the club (JL) may want in terms of an atmosphere at AG. My impression is that the club don't want Ashton Gate to have a raucous or hostile atmosphere, their dream is for AG to be a fun, warm, family friendly day out - more akin to an Olympic event or a School Sports Day than a traditional English football match. It's not that the club "haven't thought about it" re the atmosphere, it's that they have thought about it but are aiming for something different to what most of the fans want.

My god, what a sensible well informed post on where we currently are in modern day football.

Great post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/02/2024 at 20:47, Puckle_red said:

I'm not a fan of the Euro Ultra stuff either, but different ideas and groups are nothing new, as per my previous post.

As one of the 247(ish?) season ticket holders when the EE re-opened, I didnt know anyone other than the 2 mates I went with.

Respectfully, I think people are just trying to enjoy themselves. I'd prefer a more traditional support but there is room for both.

Many of that came from three areas of the ground and many knew each other was in a big group who moved together as it was a lads thing and not all about atmosphere either a traditional end with pay on the day. It wasnt new it was old traditions even being able to have a fag stood up was part of it as ashton gate was virtually all non smoking apart from one block in the williams.  

The singing section is the singing section a different thing with this ultra vibe. 

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Gotta say, I really enjoyed Forest last night without all that ultra garbage. 

Proper Bristol City songs being belted out without being drowned out by the dirge ultra songs. 

That’s the annoying thing 

Most away games our lot can create some serious noise 

Home 🙄🙄🙄🙄

I think s82 and that corner section in general do a lot to try and get and atmosphere despite being hamstrung by being stuck in that area.

However, I  also think that the crowd should mirror what is happening on the pitch. It’s no good trying to be clever trying to get a chant going that only a handful know the words to when we are chasing a game. There is a time and a place for trialling new songs and in my opinion that’s when we are well in control of the game, much like you’d expect your flair players to do the same.

When we’re behind or if the game is tight, get back to basics, sing the songs that everyone knows even if they are generic. Give everyone the chance to get involved. 

• Like 1