IGNORED

Section 82 ?

Just now, Wedontplayinblue said:

Where do you watch the game from Mr P? 

From the singing section I rarely/never hear the rest of the ground , if it was noisier in other parts then that’s positive. 

Usually the block of the Dolman nearest the Safe Standing area. 

I'm going to watch the game back in the next day or 2..may be it was a bit better than I remember but do think the atmosphere helped us over the line.

• Like 2

The singing section is quiet because there are to many people interested in what’s on their phones instead of singing. 

Majority of the young lads who should be singing are to busy snapchatting they are in the singing section and looking the part with all their designer gear on. 

Put the phones away for 90 minutes, support the team. Don’t be afraid to sing, stand up and be counted!

• Like 1

I don’t think it helps that our songs and chance are awful. Been going for 30 years and these are terrible. You hardly hear any of the old songs they got the crowd going. Went to Coventry in the week and they had loads of great songs, compare to the rubbish, we sing nowadays, unfortunately.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tommycider said:

I don’t think it helps that our songs and chance are awful. Been going for 30 years and these are terrible. You hardly hear any of the old songs they got the crowd going. Went to Coventry in the week and they had loads of great songs, compare to the rubbish, we sing nowadays, unfortunately.

Coventry sing an awful lot of what would be classed as “ultra, modern and generic songs” . 

Their away fans are very good but wouldn’t say their set of songs are different to other clubs, just the normal songs with the “insert name here”. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tommycider said:

Try and start an older song in the singing section and no one knows it.

End up getting about 10 blokes singing one older song and that’s it. All the younger lads are afraid to sing along in the fear of getting embarrassed by their mates. 

Out of interest what older songs do you feel really get the crowd going? 

6 minutes ago, Red94 said:

End up getting about 10 blokes singing one older song and that’s it. All the younger lads are afraid to sing along in the fear of getting embarrassed by their mates. 

There was one in the early 70s sounded and sang out load in the mid section of the east end, crackers corner in the open end and the end block of the grandstand and the enclosure in front out. It had “ promotion” in it. Sorry mate your not going to hear it this season 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, phantom said:

@marmite  As already pointed out by a number of people (including someone leading the National safe standing campaign) talks have already started

The next thing is to liaise with supporters 

Interesting to hear this. I've always believed that moving the away fans from the Atyeo had been dismissed on grounds of segregation and H&S but above all, costs involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, marmite said:

Interesting to hear this. I've always believed that moving the away fans from the Atyeo had been dismissed on grounds of segregation and H&S but above all, costs involved.

I can't speak for the relevant parties but I assume that it will still be a factor.

One thing to discuss at club level even to aspire, another to get full clearance or Approval by the Safety Advisory Group etc.

Then cost as you say..may need further reworking of the ground, or a higher permanent Security and Police presence and the latter can be especially expensive.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

Atmosphere is not really about people singing specific songs, it's more to do with them just making a bloody racket in response to lively events on the pitch, encouraging the team forward, encouraging the team to attack, putting pressure on the officials, hounding an opponent. Just shouting come on or even something more guttural and primal. Just making some noise. Rrrrraaaaggghhh!!

Unfortunately, the limp style of modern football mostly centred around the halfway line going sideways and back between central defenders and wing/full backs and the keeper sends many to their phones, their daydreams or the concourse. 

What we need to get an atmosphere at AG is not more or different or old songs, what we need is action in the final third and a busy visiting goalkeeper and a visibly up for it and energised team putting the opposition on the back foot for sustained periods, their woodwork rattling as the ball pings about their penalty area.

But we don't see anything of the sort at AG for anywhere near long enough in any game, and so for long long periods of time we sit and stare as we pass it about just inside our half across the halfway line (with a bloke three rows behind you bellowing into the silence: "Get it forward!") or we watch the opposition with their £83m squad dominating the ball and bearing down on our back five and Max time and again. 

There's just not enough of the sort of football at the right end of the pitch that might wake us from our West Country slumber and get us out of our seats to make the sort of atmosphere that Leeds fans will make at Elland Road (like when they came back from 2 down to draw 2:2 with us a few years ago; when do we ever bombard the opposition like that at AG? Not even the time we came back from 2 down to Leeds to draw 2:2 at home but then we had "atmosphere" that night, as Leeds "f*cked it up") Because Leeds have £83m of players, and they have the ball; we have £8.3m of players, and we keep giving them the ball.

It's partly the modern style of overly coached "idealogical" halfway-line-and-back-to-the-keeper (then hoof!) football, partly having poorer players than the opposition and so not having the ball and so unable to pin them in and put them under pressure, and three parts Bristolian/West Country indifference. Plus smart phones. 

And the lack of belief that there's really anything going on here at the moment, the sense of going around in circles, and the sense of aimless drift.

• Like 9
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

16 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Atmosphere is not really about people singing specific songs, it's more to do with them just making a bloody racket in response to lively events on the pitch, encouraging the team forward, encouraging the team to attack, putting pressure on the officials, hounding an opponent. Just shouting come on or even something more guttural and primal. Just making some noise. Rrrrraaaaggghhh!!

Unfortunately, the limp style of modern football mostly centred around the halfway line going sideways and back between central defenders and wing/full backs and the keeper sends many to their phones, their daydreams or the concourse. 

What we need to get an atmosphere at AG is not more or different or old songs, what we need is action in the final third and a busy visiting goalkeeper and a visibly up for it and energised team putting the opposition on the back foot for sustained periods, their woodwork rattling as the ball pings about their penalty area.

But we don't see anything of the sort at AG for anywhere near long enough in any game, and so for long long periods of time we sit and stare as we pass it about just inside our half across the halfway line (with a bloke three rows behind you bellowing into the silence: "Get it forward!") or we watch the opposition with their £83m squad dominating the ball and bearing down on our back five and Max time and again. 

There's just not enough of the sort of football at the right end of the pitch that might wake us from our West Country slumber and get us out of our seats to make the sort of atmosphere that Leeds fans will make at Elland Road (like when they came back from 2 down to draw 2:2 with us a few years ago; when do we ever bombard the opposition like that at AG? Not even the time we came back from 2 down to Leeds to draw 2:2 at home but then we had "atmosphere" that night, as Leeds "f*cked it up") Because Leeds have £83m of players, and they have the ball; we have £8.3m of players, and we keep giving them the ball.

It's partly the modern style of overly coached "idealogical" halfway-line-and-back-to-the-keeper (then hoof!) football, partly having poorer players than the opposition and so not having the ball and so unable to pin them in and put them under pressure, and three parts Bristolian/West Country indifference. Plus smart phones. 

And the lack of belief that there's really anything going on here at the moment, the sense of going around in circles, and the sense of aimless drift.

Good post.

I really hope the club can address this problem for the 24/25 season.

There must be a way to shuffle the fans that are current season ticket holders to both sides. It wont really affest their views ans perhaps a little "dangle of a carrot" will help.

Then offer all thos in section 82 yhe oppertunity to take up this area.

When they start singing its bound to get fans joining in on each side and then creating a much better atmosphere.

44 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Good post.

There must be a way to shuffle the fans that are current season ticket holders to both sides. It wont really affest their views ans perhaps a little "dangle of a carrot" will help.

When they start singing its bound to get fans joining in on each side and then creating a much better atmosphere.

If that "dangle of a carrot" was funded by those moving across do you think it would be welcomed? Pay more to be in the new singing section to offset cheaper seats either side in the stand. Bit of 'give and take' that wouldn't cost the club.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Dolman Block B said:

Good post.

One thing that I can add from speaking to the club, any potential moves wont happen before the 24/25 season at the earliest

• Flames 1

It may sound academic but do we have a list of songs. There’s many sat around us that don’t know the songs, can’t hear the words so just end up humming it to no benefit of anyone. Can we publish them somewhere. Even in the young reds book they give out. The only atmosphere that we’ve really generated is east end bounce around as that’s the easiest to understand 😁

On 02/02/2024 at 23:54, Leabrook said:

How did he get chucked out for trying to start an atmosphere? Must have done something quite bad 

Exactly this. The more people that sing the better the atmosphere. Pretty simple. 

If we could only get a bit of excitement from time to time on the field it would help.. a lot

Move the singing section right behind the goal in the south stand, then it can naturally spread as far about that stand as people want, hidden away in that corner is doing nobody any favours. 

Logistically the Atyeo is the easiest to segregate and house the away fans, that won’t change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phantom said:

One thing that I can add from speaking to the club, any potential moves wont happen before the 24/25 season at the earliest

So the club are at least considering potentially moving people around in the South Stand then?

On 04/02/2024 at 09:14, Red94 said:

I’m a bow legged chicken 

im a knock kneed hen 

I ain’t been so happy since I don’t know when 

I walk with a wiggle and a wiggle and a walk

doing the east end ( south stand) boot walk 

A lah lah lah lah lah

lah lah lah lah lah lah lah

doing The east end boot walk 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CityReds said:

It may sound academic but do we have a list of songs. There’s many sat around us that don’t know the songs, can’t hear the words so just end up humming it to no benefit of anyone. Can we publish them somewhere. Even in the young reds book they give out. The only atmosphere that we’ve really generated is east end bounce around as that’s the easiest to understand 😁

I can’t see them printing ‘you’re not singing over there , you c***s in that young reds mag! 
To be honest , even though I don’t mind a bit of swearing myself being in the building trade, do people really need to sing that in a stadium with lots of young kids present? If you’ve got young kids with you I can assure you it’s an uncomfortable experience . The usual effing and jeffing I think most people accept that if you bring kids into a stadium you have to live with it but the ‘C’ word is a bit extreme. 
just my own personal opinion and I don’t expect things to change . It could well be putting off people bringing young un’s and future reds lost.

• Like 2

On 03/02/2024 at 17:18, Puckle_red said:

And some were responding by singing an even worse song about Ross McCrorie...classic Bristol City all of this.

Within a small section of 1100 people, there are multiple distinctive groups all with different ideas. 

Just like it was 10+ years ago, with netters, older lot, middle group. Then later the drummer lads.

Not at all different times. Most of us came from the same parts of the ground. Knew each other and things were very much about traditions and chucking a few flags in. Now? All this euro ultra stuff. Cringey as to some a turn off..  

• Like 2

On 04/02/2024 at 17:03, Bristol Oil Services said:

This is spot on.

What I will say though - as someone in their late 40s whose first season was the 89/90 promotion - is that in comparison to then, our songs seem few in number, fairly sanitised and stuff that when I can make out the words doesn't get my juices flowing (Forza stuff is lost on me). Times and songs change and better football/consistent team formations like the old days help build songs for each player (things were a lot better under the Double side than now); standing on the terrace helped also as you were energised and primed to sing more. 

Counter to this, is that when I was in the Atyeo stand against Swindon under Cotterill or away recently at West Ham I sung relentlessly any new song that was trawled out, so it's a mixture of things.  Sitting at home and watching the mostly boring football of the present day is key over song choices but I do miss:

Bob Bob Super Bob (change for any new player)

If you see Him on the corner.....

One man went to burn....

Lets go ******* mental...(more thrilling when stood for the first time behind the goal in the East End next to a 20 stone shirtless bloke who would terrify teenage you if you weren't a red)

Pyscho's gonna get you...

You can stick your ******* flag....

So many of these are never getting sung again ha but one can reminisce.  Is there anywhere here that lists the words of the current round? I'd join in more if my rubbish ears could make out more of the lyrics.

Ultimately, the Man Utd victory proves that if we are given good football, we can still create an atmosphere.

Edited by Yozzarian
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Not at all different times. Most of us came from the same parts of the ground. Knew each other and things were very much about traditions and chucking a few flags in. Now? All this euro ultra stuff. Cringey as to some a turn off..  

I'm not a fan of the Euro Ultra stuff either, but different ideas and groups are nothing new, as per my previous post.

As one of the 247(ish?) season ticket holders when the EE re-opened, I didnt know anyone other than the 2 mates I went with.

Respectfully, I think people are just trying to enjoy themselves. I'd prefer a more traditional support but there is room for both.

5 hours ago, Yozzarian said:

This is spot on.

What I will say though - as someone in their late 40s whose first season was the 89/90 promotion - is that in comparison to then, our songs seem few in number, fairly sanitised and stuff that when I can make out the words doesn't get my juices flowing (Forza stuff is lost on me). Times and songs change and better football/consistent team formations like the old days help build songs for each player (things were a lot better under the Double side than now); standing on the terrace helped also as you were energised and primed to sing more. 

Counter to this, is that when I was in the Atyeo stand against Swindon under Cotterill or away recently at West Ham I sung relentlessly any new song that was trawled out, so it's a mixture of things.  Sitting at home and watching the mostly boring football of the present day is key over song choices but I do miss:

Bob Bob Super Bob (change for any new player)

If you see Him on the corner.....

One man went to burn....

Lets go ******* mental...(more thrilling when stood for the first time behind the goal in the East End next to a 20 stone shirtless bloke who would terrify teenage you if you weren't a red)

Pyscho's gonna get you...

You can stick your ******* flag....

So many of these are never getting sung again ha but one can reminisce.  Is there anywhere here that lists the words of the current round? I'd join in more if my rubbish ears could make out more of the lyrics.

Ultimately, the Man Utd victory proves that if we are given good football, we can still create an atmosphere.

The Tom Thumb’s Song is from that era I think.  Always remember that being sung around that time.  People have tried singing it in recent years but the younger fans don’t know it unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, The Wild Bunch said:

The Tom Thumb’s Song is from that era I think.  Always remember that being sung around that time.  People have tried singing it in recent years but the younger fans don’t know it unfortunately.

That's not one I remember by name actually. There are many I've probably forgotten.

What happened with proper loud voices and fans wanting to sing their lungs out? Coming back home after games hoarse of voice was a right of passage back in the day. Leading your first song and then the 1-2 sec wait when/whilst others joined in. Bending the back and mammoth exhale from the lungs. Joyous.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yozzarian said:

That's not one I remember by name actually. There are many I've probably forgotten.

Tom Thumb didn't have words, you probably remember it as the dooby dooby doo song with the extended woooooaaaaaaaaahhhhh intro.

My favourite football song ever, though completely nonsensical.

Was it unique to us or a more general thing around the grounds?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

What happened with proper loud voices and fans wanting to sing their lungs out? Coming back home after games hoarse of voice was a right of passage back in the day. Leading your first song and then the 1-2 sec wait when/whilst others joined in. Bending the back and mammoth exhale from the lungs. Joyous.

Im afraid that type of so called “toxic masculinity” has been forced out the game over the years. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2