IGNORED

Dis-engaged

97Robin

Saw an interesting interview with Neil Warnock this week .Said that the best team he’d ever seen was the Man City side of approx 2 years or so ago when David Silva was there . Said that so many young Managers think they’re Pep , playing possession football and getting nowhere ! said that only the very best teams in their Divisions can play that way and that all the others HAVE to play a system that fits their personnel to have any chance at all . Our squad was assembled as a counter attacking side NOT a possession side . Change the style over time Manning , not overnight !!! 

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

On 03/02/2024 at 09:33, pj76 said:

Sell out, singing, vibes, classic deflation at the sense of an unavoidable loss coming, not boring, just a symptom of a poor run.

I prefer a ground women can go to, gets away from the juvenile tribal masculinity. Prefer not having to explain another obnoxious, vile chant to my kids. It's this that makes me feel uneasy, that as fans at the moment we're never far away from a West Brom moment. 

Very subjective, and not everything is audible from all areas of the ground, but I'm not sure there are many 'obnoxious, vile chants'?

The experience of attending matches at AG is as sanitised as I can ever remember.

Don't know the figures now but a few years ago our ST base was said to be about 1 in 4 females, so clearly many enjoy a traditional football atmosphere.

• Like 4

Point taken, I guess typically from the away fans; although the Jimmy Saville chant on Friday was pretty grim. 

And you're right, Ashton Gate is a nice place, it is sanitised in comparison. I prefer it that way. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

I just still wake up every morning incredulous at the complete and utter ****wittery of the three egos, even after the years of it occurring.

The stunts of this season are the final straw for me. They all have to go if this club is to ever realise its potential.

• Like 5
  • Flames 3

On 03/02/2024 at 09:33, pj76 said:

Sell out, singing, vibes, classic deflation at the sense of an unavoidable loss coming, not boring, just a symptom of a poor run.

I prefer a ground women can go to, gets away from the juvenile tribal masculinity. Prefer not having to explain another obnoxious, vile chant to my kids. It's this that makes me feel uneasy, that as fans at the moment we're never far away from a West Brom moment. 

Unsure what this means.

Ground is fairly sanitised these days..a lot of grounds are.

Signs asking not to swear FFS.

People can debate whether it is good or bad but it isn't a description I recognise at all.

Could get toxic if things continue to go South but that's the same anywhere pretty much.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

44 minutes ago, pj76 said:

Point taken, I guess typically from the away fans; although the Jimmy Saville chant on Friday was pretty grim. 

And you're right, Ashton Gate is a nice place, it is sanitised in comparison. I prefer it that way. 

Some parts of sanitisation are good and necessary, some are too far. All IMO.

The Good:

*No racism.

*No homophobia.

*No sexism.

*No chants that cross the outermost limit of the line.

Etc.

The Bad:

*Too small or only one Safe Standing area.

*Messages asking not to swear.

*Music played too loud too close to kick off..drowns out a chance to build natural atmosphere.

*Seeking to clamp down on standing in the top couple of rows. Seems pointless.

*Downsy- Need I say more!

*Probably could do a bit better than the Liquidator too.

National Legislation:

*Alcohol in view of pitch.

There are probably multiple others across the 2 categories I've forgotten about but that's a start.

The club almost seem to work against or have done in recent times, a positive and partisan atmosphere being generated. It varies of course but there is probably a lot more that could be done.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pj76 said:

I hate it, it's crap and adds to the non atmosphere, sanitised football and everything it entails is crap.

Sorry if your woman doesn't like it, don't bring her!

• Sad 1
  • Flames 1

On 03/02/2024 at 08:00, Bedminster said:

This weird notion that the football was brilliant under NP needs to end. It was dreadful at times. This time last year, everyone wanted him out.

He was sacked as he had poor health and he’s slagging his employers off in the press  

Right call for him to go, possibly wrong man to replace him. 

I can't agree with this at all and can't work out where you've based your post on. 

Actually most wanted him to stay and carry on what he started. He was very popular. He is a proper experienced Premier League manager who was able to bring in backroom staff of the calibre of Dave Rennie who is highly respected in his field. He was brought in to clear up a complete shambles of a club that had spiralled FFP financially out of control through previous mismanagement. His no nonsense approach brought him respect from the playing staff and fanbase. He never let his ongoing health issues get in the way and certainly never used it as an excuse.

He was asked to come up with a plan with and without Scott which he did and the general feeling was that we were on the cusp of something very exciting by reinvesting that money into quality signings and be able to compete better with the parachute payment clubs but the board baulked and changed their mind, he had little investment to work with which in turn affected the team on the pitch and they wouldn't offer him an extension of his contract.

This gradual fallout culminated on him being asked for a debrief on the Cardiff away defeat and him telling the club's hierarchy where to stick their job. Hence the shambolic and undercooked presser the following day which just underlined how amateurish it made the club's hierarchy looked. No one knows this for sure but it certainly points that way.

We've reset once again and "top six squad" comments by JL & "I'll be back when we're in the Premier League" comments by BT were ill thought out & just underlines how out of depth and out of touch with the fanbase the board really are.

It wasn't the right call for him to go, certainly not mid season, and to change playing direction and replace him with a complete novice at this level as well shows a complete lack of understanding and shows us in a poor light.

It is thanks to Pearson, not Manning that we are comfortably mid table this season. 

Such is the man, I don't recall anywhere where I've seen him slagging off his employers.

This is where we are at the moment.

A still popular ex manager with a still largely counter attacking under invested based squad having to change to a possession based style mid season coached by an unknown novice who now is being funded with some sort of investment, playing a style which the fanbase can't really identify with. Already the club are backtracking on statements made and of course Manning has to get used to coaching at this level, hence the generally mediocre results.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4
  • Robin 1

On 03/02/2024 at 09:15, Bedminster said:

I mean most of the ground were hounding him out at that West Brom (?) game. Not the echo chamber of OTIB. 

He repeatedly made reference in his sarcastic manner about his contract and future, pointing fingers at the board. He made his own position untenable.

As soon as he left the club he went and got his health issues sorted (I’m glad of this!).

Surely you can’t be that dense to not see he wasn’t healthy? He was barely at the training ground in his final weeks with us. That’s a cold hard fact. 

To take your first point, look what happened after that game though, fans slowly but surely got on board, appreciating his aims and ethos for the club and was a well respected member of the City family. 

Second point.  Put yourself in the shoes of someone wondering about the future of their job, their livelihood. Why do you think he repeatedly made reference to his contract? There was nothing sarcastic about it. He told us in no uncertain terms “ask the board cos they’re not talking to me” was what he said.  Perfectly legitimate statement, if that was the case and given that the board weren’t talking to fans either I know who I believe. 

His position was untenable because he spoke the truth and at one time was the only mouthpiece for fans. 

We don’t know what impact his health had unless you have actual evidence of it and if he wasn’t at the training ground well he had surgery that we do know. But we also know in this modern set up, he can get all the info about players he needs. Do you honestly think he’s the only manager to have ever been unwell whilst managing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

On 03/02/2024 at 09:48, Bedminster said:

I’ve stated I’m not sure manning is the right person to take this club forward. This romanticism about NP is super weird though. 

Thank you Mr OTIB. Sorry for contributing on your forum 🙄

Funny isn’t it when people have an appreciation for a manager, it equates to a cult, a romance, anti manning.

There’s nothing weird about making comparisons and recognising that whilst NP didn’t have all the answers, he’d made huge headway in playing a style of football with the players he had and had to make do with, instead of trying to shoehorn players into the current mold.  

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Swede said:

I can't agree with this at all and can't work out where you've based your post on. 

Actually most wanted him to stay and carry on what he started. He was very popular. He is a proper experienced Premier League manager who was able to bring in backroom staff of the calibre of Dave Rennie who is highly respected in his field. He was brought in to clear up a complete shambles of a club that had spiralled FFP financially out of control through previous mismanagement. His no nonsense approach brought him respect from the playing staff and fanbase. He never let his ongoing health issues get in the way and certainly never used it as an excuse.

He was asked to come up with a plan with and without Scott which he did and the general feeling was that we were on the cusp of something very exciting by reinvesting that money into quality signings and be able to compete better with the parachute payment clubs but the board baulked and changed their mind, he had little investment to work with which in turn affected the team on the pitch and they wouldn't offer him an extension of his contract.

This gradual fallout culminated on him being asked for a debrief on the Cardiff away defeat and him telling the club's hierarchy where to stick their job. Hence the shambolic and undercooked presser the following day which just underlined how amateurish it made the club's hierarchy looked. No one knows this for sure but it certainly points that way.

We've reset once again and "top six squad" comments by JL & "I'll be back when we're in the Premier League" comments by BT were ill thought out & just underlines how out of depth and out of touch with the fanbase the board really are.

It wasn't the right call for him to go, certainly not mid season, and to change playing direction and replace him with a complete novice at this level as well shows a complete lack of understanding and shows us in a poor light.

It is thanks to Pearson, not Manning that we are comfortably mid table this season. 

Such is the man, I don't recall anywhere where I've seen him slagging off his employers.

This is where we are at the moment.

A still popular ex manager with a still largely counter attacking under invested based squad having to change to a possession based style mid season coached by an unknown novice who now is being funded with some sort of investment, playing a style which the fanbase can't really identify with. Already the club are backtracking on statements made and of course Manning has to get used to coaching at this level, hence the generally mediocre results.

Bingo!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

Does anyone know where our identity has gone? I’m sure there was one beginning to form before Johnny boys revelation that we were in fact a top end Championship club in decline?

In Jon's defense that's not just something you can level at this club,

But fans all over the country can level at there individual club,

The problem with that is generally a modern football problem,  and it's over exposure,

People see how arsenal or man City play and every other club go on toe replicate it,

Like the mass adoption of the 4-2-3-1 formation,

I wonder in 10 years time and teams start playing 4-4-2 would they be called innovators?

11 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Saw an interesting interview with Neil Warnock this week .Said that the best team he’d ever seen was the Man City side of approx 2 years or so ago when David Silva was there . Said that so many young Managers think they’re Pep , playing possession football and getting nowhere ! said that only the very best teams in their Divisions can play that way and that all the others HAVE to play a system that fits their personnel to have any chance at all . Our squad was assembled as a counter attacking side NOT a possession side . Change the style over time Manning , not overnight !!! 

Whether you liked him or not Warnock has  excellent insight. 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

People see how arsenal or man City play and every other club go on toe replicate it,

The City Group is to blame for a lot of this. They are a business, whose business is to hoover up all manner of young playing talent through their academies, then make money by selling them.

They teach this talent how to play the City way, and pump a tonne of cash into Man City to show that it works.

The managers/coaches who go through the City Group are taught the same City way, before going out into the world and using their City Group connections to buy players who have been taught the City way, thus ensuring that the group keeps making money by selling young talent.

It will be interesting to see what happens if/when Man City aren’t the success story they currently are.

• Like 1

My "day at the footie" ceased when "the Lansdowns" rolled in with his dream, wish they would hurry up and pass on through so I can return before its too late for me to do so.

A laugh and a joke a drink and a smoke, where the hell have they gone? sit down shut up and get your wallets out now......well NO THANKS

The highlight of my week was the day at the footie home and away win or lose didnt seem to matter that much, what ever div we were in, (and have visited all 4 many times) oh for some life and ambition to return....wont hold my breath.

Thanks for the memories I`ll live with them, for now, hate what we`ve become Tired Season 1 GIF by BET Plus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCity said:

The City Group is to blame for a lot of this. They are a business, whose business is to hoover up all manner of young playing talent through their academies, then make money by selling them.

They teach this talent how to play the City way, and pump a tonne of cash into Man City to show that it works.

The managers/coaches who go through the City Group are taught the same City way, before going out into the world and using their City Group connections to buy players who have been taught the City way, thus ensuring that the group keeps making money by selling young talent.

It will be interesting to see what happens if/when Man City aren’t the success story they currently are.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, etc etc.

You won't allow reserve sides? NO problem, operation infiltration it is. We'll do our work in your building in the exact way you described.

• Like 2