IGNORED

Atkinson and Sykes

Port Said Red

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Non-medical logic - over-compensation on the other leg???

Slightly different with my ACL.  I’m sure before I did mine, I never worried about which leg I landed on, but afterwards, I always tried to land on the other…and I knackered the cartilage in the other.

Quite common to injure the opposite leg as it’s making up for the deficiencies or slight weakness in the other, we’re talking such tight margins it doesn’t take much after long layoffs.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

You make it sound as if he’s in a retirement home. He should be in the best shape of his life at 30!

Especially these days when fitness/gym is massive.

Better shape than he was in his 20’s? Every day past 26/27 is downhill for athletes. 

2 hours ago, George Rs said:

In a lot of surgery’s to fix key ligaments in the leg (ACL, MPFL etc) the surgery takes part of the hamstring tendon to make a graft to reconstruct the ligament. ( I’ve had one myself 😉

This process will tend to temporarily weaken the hamstring itself post surgery. About 1/8 patients suffer at least a mild hamstring strain after an ACL repair. That’s just with your regular patient as well id assume that number would be higher with athletes as they evidently have to put more strain on the legs then most. 

Is it common problem post ACLR? To a degree 

Is it a coincidence that it happened to both Ayman and Rob? Most likely 

Is it specific to BCFC? No 

Is it just Bristol City rotten luck striking again? Oh of course 

The type of injury Rob has is in a place that wouldn't be affected by the operation to remove the tendon and use it in the knee. 

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Believe someone said the hamstring he’s torn isn’t the one they took muscle from to reform the acl. So it’s unrelated. 

This is correct

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Non-medical logic - over-compensation on the other leg???

Slightly different with my ACL.  I’m sure before I did mine, I never worried about which leg I landed on, but afterwards, I always tried to land on the other…and I knackered the cartilage in the other.

It could be I suppose, as Manning says they are currently working out if there is a specific cause but it seems unlikely to me. Maybe it's a balance issue? Rob did say that the surgeon said he will always have less power in the hamstring that was operated on?

The operation for the ACL is a common one these days, Weimann had a similar one and recovered well, I believe I am right in saying it was the same surgeon as well. I think from what Rob has said it's just one of those things.

I don't think he/the club/we will know anymore until he sees the consultant, waiting for that must be very hard.

As far as Naismith is concerned @Mr Popodopolous and @Lew - T should know that the two previous occasions he had problems with his calf he reported stiffness and was told to work through it, maybe a more circumspect approach should be applauded, rather than criticised?

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It could be I suppose, as Manning says they are currently working out if there is a specific cause but it seems unlikely to me. Maybe it's a balance issue? Rob did say that the surgeon said he will always have less power in the hamstring that was operated on?

The only reason I mentioned it was because at least 3 players (non-pros) I know who had ACLs, had issues in the other hamstring.  Not saying it is the reason though.

All the best to Rob, though, what a bummer (worse words are an available).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The only reason I mentioned it was because at least 3 players (non-pros) I know who had ACLs, had issues in the other hamstring.  Not saying it is the reason though.

All the best to Rob, though, what a bummer (worse words are an available).

It could be Dave, it might not be, I think the point I was trying make was that why it is a problem with some and not others seems to be a mystery to even the experts.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It could be Dave, it might not be, I think the point I was trying make was that why it is a problem with some and not others seems to be a mystery to even the experts.

Yep, never one-size fits all.

I did read some stuff about recurring ACL injuries being more linked to cartilage damage in the original rupture, meaning that although they got the tension of the new ligament correct, the knee was changed, causing imbalance.  That’s obviously nothing to do with Hamstrings though!!!