IGNORED

Take a bow Liam Manning

JBFC II

In this league I’m sure we will have many frustrating days still to come, but for a while now Ive been liking lots of bits of what I see, and thinking if the good things could all be strung together it could be pretty good. Turns out it is pretty good! 

Credit to Manning and his team for what they are doing since they came in has to be given. 

Here we are, up till Saturday no wins since Boxing Day and now 4pts of 6th. 

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Worth mentioning that when we win, things are all excellent and we’re on a playoff push. 

When we don’t win, we’re stagnating mid table and the season’s over. 

The truth is probably somewhere in between. 

But no one wants sensible. We’re ******* going up!

We are mid table. 

• Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

There is no cult other than in your head. Being pro Nigel doesn't mean being anti Liam. What happened was nothing to do with Liam so most of us can judge him on his merits without comparing him to anybody.

Our performance in the first half on Saturday and the whole game tonight makes me wonder if he's concluded that our players' strengths lie in being energetic and aggressive rather than playing a possession game. If so it's beginning to pay off perhaps. Long may it last.

It’s a good point. Without getting hung up on formations(!) that was a 4-2-1-3 (or 4-2-1-2-1) at base and the main strength was in the double pivot of Williams and James at the 2 in midfield . It’s how we’ve played best for a fair while now, and if LM is in the position where he refines as opposed to redesigns, then I think we’re in a far better place. If that means Twine (when back) is forced wider then probably so be it as I think Knight is so integral to an aggressive press.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 2

What I really, really enjoyed tonight was our challenges.

So long we’ve been powder-puff. Physically and mentally weak.

How many of the 50/50’s did we win tonight! Virtually all of them.

Lovely jubbly. Now, get rid of our other albatross - inconsistency - and we just might become a real threat in this division.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

I note the "Cult of Nige" are quiet tonight?  Ha!     PS.Not that i have anything against Uncle Nigel.

I think the forum needs a new rule and this sort of shite should be an instant ban 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

He's come under some stick in recent weeks, but that's the best performance I've seen from us since the Lee Johnson days. Brilliant from Manning and co.

Played a game plan to perfection, kept our shape and discipline brilliantly, counter attacked with pace and took our chances superbly.

Southampton hadn't lost since September and we took them apart, what a performance. Superb from all involved.

I’ve not been 100% sold on him so far, but if we can keep these levels up I’ll be more than happy. Probably the best performance and result against a top side, in the league for 5 or 6 years. 

As for the t wat going on about the “cult of Nige”, well I’m one of them if you want to put a label on me, but as long as City are winning, I'm as happy as he next man. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, RedRock said:

What I really, really enjoyed tonight was our challenges.

So long we’ve been powder-puff. Physically and mentally weak.

How many of the 50/50’s did we win tonight! Virtually all of them.

Lovely jubbly. Now, get rid of our other albatross - inconsistency - and we just might become a real threat in this division.

Absolutely this. We have a real physical edge, the like of which I haven’t seen in a long time. It’s old fashioned but an absolute joy to watch. Combined with the modern approach to when we are in possession and we look a real force. Unfortunately the Championship doesn’t allow consistency! But that’s for another day, up the bloody City!!!

Fair ******* play to the Guy. It wasn't his fault he was offered the job and i've always said that. As much as I liked Nige he has improved us in different aspects.

We looked excellent tonight and his assistant Chris Hogg need to take full credit for this. Fair play to them.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

I note the "Cult of Nige" are quiet tonight?  Ha!     PS.Not that i have anything against Uncle Nigel.

What a pointless comment.

I was a big Nige fan, and I’ve just got in from the game, and that’s as good a league performance as I’ve ever seen from City. As per OP up there with the LJ days when he had us playing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hantsred said:

what's really impressive is our energy and desire across the pitch to a man. We seem keener and leaner and yet a team that has predominantly been built by others and that has had to develop and learn . If Manning and the rest of the coaching staff has got this out of the existing group it bodes well when you recruit in specific players to play this system. 

Well perhaps true on one level but a squad with an exemplary attitude, professionalism and spirit was left and this feeds into it very well too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s a good point. Without getting hung up on formations(!) that was a 4-2-1-3 (or 4-2-1-2-1) at base and the main strength was in the double pivot of Williams and James at the 2 in midfield . It’s how we’ve played best for a fair while now, and if LM is in the position where he refines as opposed to redesigns, then I think we’re in a far better place. If that means Twine (when back) is forced wider then probably so be it as I think Knight is so integral to an aggressive press.

Think I’m in the situation that I now look at LM’s formations from the opposite perspective….and it’s what is it w/o the ball. I posted some stuff at the weekend about pressing / blocking with one CF or two CFs…and LM kinda said something along these lines of this in his presser on Monday.

So, I’m calling tonight a 442, because that’s what it was w/o the ball, in Saints early build-up phase.

It will take some getting used to, but it’s the only way I can sensibly describe it.

+++++

As for some posters being quiet, sometimes there are good reasons why.  I’ll leave it at that!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Let's hope Liam can also work out how to beat teams that sit back and let us have the ball. If he can then that would be a clear improvement on what NP left him.

And here is the rub. 

All of us in the 'Nigel Fan Club' recognise that Manning has been left a very good hand due to his predecessor's hard work. 

If Manning had taken over from Holden, we would be bang in trouble. 

The 'Fan Club' realises this.

So do the a***holes in charge. They just can't bear to acknowledge it. 

Anyway, fantastic performance and result tonight. Credit to the players, and Manning for not trying to throw it away like he did at the weekend. 

Edited by Superjack
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, maxjak said:

Can't speak for anyone else but I left Ashton Gate at 22:52, drove back to Weston-super-Mare and arrived home at 23:31. I then posted on here very shortly after that. 

I don't read or write on otib whilst driving unsurprisingly!

• Like 4
  • Flames 1