IGNORED

Take a bow Liam Manning

JBFC II

Just now, David Brent said:

Ooh Betty..the cat’s just shat out the worst post ever made. 

Come off it now. It's not that bad.

Posters say more petty stuff on here daily. He's had about 20 replies where he's been called a ****, bell end ect and even calling for a ban!

Many of those replies haven't even contributed to what the OP has said i.e credit to Manning.

Let's move past this now.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I would say that Nigel and Liam were both responsible for this excellent performance.

"We're both good in our own fields. I'm sure Nige couldn't run and manage a successful counter attacking team, and I couldn't do what he..., well, I could do what he did and I think he knew that, even back then. Probably what spurred him on'

bbc GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Finally using the squad to do what it can do, and not go in a direction where its limitations are exposed. Back to aggressive, rapid, committed organised and attacking at pace, This is by far the best Manning has got from them and is a welcome development. Well done that man and long may it continue. Nothing better than wiping that smug smile off of Martin's face. You should get an extra point for that. That was up there with beating Luton 2-0 in their promotion season and upsetting that other tiresome bloke Nathan Jones. 

Keep this up, Manning. 

• Like 4

Absolutely take a bow LM. Very positive signs now appearing - the thing for me is I think he is learning and adapting, which is absolutely key.

You got a sense he came into the club with his idea of how he wanted to play already and didn’t deviate from it. 

But recently performances show he has taken a step away from that and adjusted the approach. That’s two big wins in a row with 30%-40% odd possession…perhaps a realisation….

Building on some of the style and foundations already in place in the squad and giving us another gear - 4 at the back, pressing at the right time, counter attacking football, excellent organised defence.

Always felt to me under previous manager were weren’t miles off that kind of performance, 1 or 2 players off - if LM has been able to unlock it and can find consistency then we’re onto something IMO. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Absolutely take a bow LM. Very positive signs now appearing - the thing for me is I think he is learning and adapting, which is absolutely key.

You got a sense he came into the club with his idea of how he wanted to play already and didn’t deviate from it. 

But recently performances show he has taken a step away from that and adjusted the approach. That’s two big wins in a row with 30%-40% odd possession…perhaps a realisation….

Building on some of the style and foundations already in place in the squad and giving us another gear - 4 at the back, pressing at the right time, counter attacking football, excellent organised defence.

Always felt to me under previous manager were weren’t miles off that kind of performance, 1 or 2 players off - if LM has been able to unlock it and can find consistency then we’re onto something IMO. 

I do think 30% possession against Southampton can be a bit misleading. It would be interesting to see the possession comparison "where it counts"...............that's why Leeds were so different and so impressive compared to pretty much every other team we've played (and us being passive and giving them a leg-up didn't help), the possession was positive, always looking to go forwards and the ball moved at very high speed.

I think a few on here have commented that it needs to be evolution not revolution with us and it seems that Manning is perhaps taking a more  pragmatic approach and adapting our style to suit when it is needed. It's obvious what he wants in the end, he just doesn't have the players to achieve it every week against every type of opposition.

Looking forward to Saturday......it's always the acid test to see how you go after such a great result and performance as last night. If we can replicate that we go to Sheffield Wednesday with a lot of confidence...........

• Like 5

Bristol City fans after Leeds : worst team ever, Manning hasn’t a clue.

Bristol City fans after Southampton: absolute world beaters, Manning is god.

:laugh:.

The truth lies somewhere in between. Until we can consistently compete and beat teams then we will always be mid table.

This is the nut that needs cracking.

Kudos for tonight. But can we string an unbeaten run of 8/9 games together. That would be progress for me.

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Bristol City fans after Leeds : worst team ever, Manning hasn’t a clue.

Bristol City fans after Southampton: absolute world beaters, Manning is god.

:laugh:.

The truth lies somewhere in between. Until we can consistently compete and beat teams then we will always be mid table.

This is the nut that needs cracking.

Kudos for tonight. But can we string an unbeaten run of 8/9 games together. That would be progress for me.

Yeah, the reality is that we don't know yet how good or bad a head coach he will be. That's why you have to be patient. He's no mug though, clearly. If we beat QPR, that'll be his second run of 3 consecutive wins in his short reign. Add the FA Cup efforts to that, and you can see that he's worth at least giving time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

"We're both good in our own fields. I'm sure Nige couldn't run and manage a successful counter attacking team, and I couldn't do what he..., well, I could do what he did and I think he knew that, even back then. Probably what spurred him on'

bbc GIF

Texas 😂😅

• Flames 1

9 hours ago, maxjak said:

I note the "Cult of Nige" are quiet tonight?  Ha!     PS.Not that i have anything against Uncle Nigel.

Don't be silly!

LM last night set us up in the same way as NP was developing without all the sideways at the back when we got the ball.

LM may get the glory but hasn't he realised that he must use the players in a way that they are used to. Defend sensibly and hit the other defence early before they have chance to get their defence en masse to keep us out.

• Like 1

Cider, it really is futile trying to defend the indefensible. Anis had all his confidence and skills banged out of him under the previous coach and just look at his assist for Bell's goal. Tanner was like a reluctant rabbit in the headlights under Pearson and Williams could never play consecutive games. Cornick couldn't trap a ball in a barnyard but can now score crackers and make good runs, Max is playing the best of his career; these are not co-incidences and from my view every game, the players seem on a different level of camaraderie

I am not anti-Pearson but my observation is you are very 'abroad' not to see the size and scale of improvement under Manning. He could be another Klopp or he could disappoint us like so many others have! Let's hope its the former and stay behind the team. Win v QPR and we could get back to big away support at the Leppings Lane

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

To have gone through a relentless run of games against prem and top half championship teams and to come out tonight looking much fitter than a team unbeaten since September it's a big credit to the players, think Manning has done well with the subs and rotating but must be doing other things right too between games and also fitness going back to pre season paying off now too? Hope it can continue going into next batch of games.

• Like 3

Life must be looking and tasting pretty good for Liam this morning.  What a performance last night.

I think he's a fantastic young coach, cutting his cloth at this level, and improving City each week.

The future is exciting.

It's also fair to credit the board and owners for the progress the club are making.

Life feels good for all of us this morning!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Superjack said:

And here is the rub. 

All of us in the 'Nigel Fan Club' recognise that Manning has been left a very good hand due to his predecessor's hard work. 

If Manning had taken over from Holden, we would be bang in trouble. 

The 'Fan Club' realises this.

So do the a***holes in charge. They just can't bear to acknowledge it. 

Anyway, fantastic performance and result tonight. Credit to the players, and Manning for not trying to throw it away like he did at the weekend. 

I've said before that the opinions lot of the so called "pro Pearson" and/or " anti Manning" posters are perhaps more reflective of their feelings towards the ownership than they are of the respective manager or coach.

Pearson's attributes made him the right man for the job at the time he came here and for the same reasons, agree with you that Manning would not have been. There are things that Pearson was able to do that Manning could not have done, but I also think and hope that there will be things that Manning will go on to do and achieve that perhaps Pearson could not have.

However, I can also understand that for an owner ( and SL wasn't the first in NP's career) there might be a limit to how much bloody minded cussedness you can take and continue to work with.  Because of his age, and also that there was uncertainty as to whether Pearson would stay beyond his initial contract ( before things obviously blew up towards the end) I wonder whether the club had earmarked Manning as a successor. There is little doubt in my mind that Pearson was backing the club into a corner and, as it seems that Manning was being closely looked at by a number of championship clubs at that time according to a lot of press comment, perhaps they made the decision to move before they were left with the worst of all worlds i.e. Pearson going and Manning already snapped up by a rival. 

The shambles around Pearson's departure was terribly handled by the club - of that there is no doubt. However, I wonder whether if, in the not too distant future, we will look back on Pearson's sacking and Manning's appointment as perhaps SL's best decision among numerous bad ones, and will recognise the excellent job both Pearson and Manning did at the times both came to the club.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Don't be silly!

LM last night set us up in the same way as NP was developing without all the sideways at the back when we got the ball.

LM may get the glory but hasn't he realised that he must use the players in a way that they are used to. Defend sensibly and hit the other defence early before they have chance to get their defence en masse to keep us out.

I think there's a myth that Manning initially wanted us to endlessly pass the ball.

Some games will involve more possession (QPR on Saturday, Id imagine), and you have to use that possession wisely.

Alternatively, games like last night, there will be more of a counter attack style. 

You can even have examples of both within the same game.

Manning will have his own principles about how to play in both of those types of game, some of which will match up with Nige and some won't. 

The good thing is that Manning has inherited a good honest bunch of lads who work hard and listen to their gaffer.

There was one amazing move last night where we went from defence to attack, starting with James in a tight area outside our box he threaded it to Williams I think, who knew that Bell had pulled wide for the out ball, and shortly after we had a shot on goal. I doubt it was a coincidence that we knew how to play our way out so effectively. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I do think 30% possession against Southampton can be a bit misleading. It would be interesting to see the possession comparison "where it counts"...............that's why Leeds were so different and so impressive compared to pretty much every other team we've played (and us being passive and giving them a leg-up didn't help), the possession was positive, always looking to go forwards and the ball moved at very high speed.

I think a few on here have commented that it needs to be evolution not revolution with us and it seems that Manning is perhaps taking a more  pragmatic approach and adapting our style to suit when it is needed. It's obvious what he wants in the end, he just doesn't have the players to achieve it every week against every type of opposition.

Looking forward to Saturday......it's always the acid test to see how you go after such a great result and performance as last night. If we can replicate that we go to Sheffield Wednesday with a lot of confidence...........

Not quite what you're after, but the attacking momentum one.Screenshot_20240214_082624_Sofascore.jpg.b6b6821ee1533e548776aaef68170a1c.jpg

So while we weren't on the ball that often, we were getting it into dangerous areas quickly and consistently when we did have it.

Edited by transfer reader
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Worth mentioning that when we win, things are all excellent and we’re on a playoff push. 

When we don’t win, we’re stagnating mid table and the season’s over. 

The truth is probably somewhere in between. 

But no one wants sensible. We’re ******* going up!

Equally Fordy, we won last night but once the round of matches is over tonight we could, with a hefty Boro win at PNE, be back in 12th.

So perhaps it's actually the case that when we win we stagnate in mid-table.

10 hours ago, maxjak said:

I note the "Cult of Nige" are quiet tonight?  Ha!     PS.Not that i have anything against Uncle Nigel.

I was one of the biggest voices in wanting and agreeing that NP should of gone but i have stopped trying to justify my opinion in any posts in the last month or so and have decided to not mention him as it causes too much division, might be wise for others to do the same and just get behind the new manager and leave out the snidey comments  ? 

• Like 3
  • Robin 2

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

But can we string an unbeaten run of 8/9 games together. That would be progress for me.

Next season mate. Next season.

I'm excited for 24/25. I've been waiting a long time for a season where the stars of the finances, squad age and profile, coaching team, and style all align. We need some luck, we need a good kit (come on Jon do your bit), and we need some other clubs to slip a bit...but I'm excited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The difference last night was the choices Manning had from the bench.  Getting nearer to having a full Championship squad.

Plus, Manning used those choices with precision and success.

Well done all.

That was my conclusion, and how we got out first 90 minute performance in a good while. So refreshing to have options off the bench that can maintain and even up the intensity.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

IMG_9819.thumb.jpeg.e67d4ce88591bf6082efeb512f90c0ab.jpeg

For me, at a very basic level, they don’t create enough ball into the final third for the possession they have.

Saints 154 / 705 (21.8%)

City 111 / 323 (34.4%)

They allow teams to “get set”.

1 hour ago, transfer reader said:

Not quite what you're after, but the attacking momentum one.Screenshot_20240214_082624_Sofascore.jpg.b6b6821ee1533e548776aaef68170a1c.jpg

So while we weren't on the ball that often, we were getting it into dangerous areas quickly and consistently when we did have it.

Yeah, we attacked with pace and verve (is that the right word).  I thought we battered them second half.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me, at a very basic level, they don’t create enough ball into the final third for the possession they have.

Saints 154 / 705 (21.8%)

City 111 / 323 (34.4%)

Yeah, we attacked with pace and verve (is that the right word).  I thought we battered them second half.

Not sure if you'd have it, and it's a very basic one, but do you have the pure possession for each third of the pitch?

Doesn't even have to be split by team, just how much of the time the ball was in our defensive third/middle of the pitch/Soton defensive third.

1 hour ago, transfer reader said:

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Saints 154 / 705 (21.8%)

City 111 / 323 (34.4%)

Anyone else feeling that they need a course of evening classes to keep up and understand all these graphs, charts, xgs and the like?

I'm still getting to grips with half backs, inside forwards, Ramsey's wingless wonders and 4-2-4!

Edited by downendcity
  • Haha 6

30 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Anyone else feeling that they need a course of evening classes to keep up and understand all these graphs, charts, xgs and the like?

I'm still getting to grips with half backs, inside forwards, Ramsey's wingless wonders and 4-2-4!

It’s become a different world 

Twenty years ago ‘data’ (If manager was lucky enough to have any) would have consisted of some basic diagrams with a few arrows in biro on some pieces of paper drawn by a coffee sipping scout sat in the cold.

Data & analysis has to be one of the biggest changes in the game in recent decades 

Its fascinating as a fan to see some of this data a totally different angle and insight into what’s actually happening 👍🏻

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1