IGNORED

Great result, but…

Davefevs

At last. 
A SQUAD!!!

It don’t seem to matter who we start with then take off we have the replacements who give their all. 

Still think we will fall short of a playoff place but the momentum is as good as I’ve seen. 

And that smirk on LM face at the final whistle said it all. 

Well done lads. 🔴⚪🔴

• Like 5

The only “but” I can think of is that our inconsistency is such that we could well go and have a stinker against QPR! That’s nothing but speculation though, I really cannot fault anything about tonight. Every single fan on this forum has earned the right to enjoy this result. We’ve been through some hard times and this is what keeps us smiling !

• Flames 1

Just now, Crimson Crayola said:

I wasnt overly enthusiastic with the line-up of James and Williams but tonight proved they can play together without sacrificing impetus. Both of them immense.

That's the weird thing, we look at the line up and it doesn't look right, but it works. Most City fans would say that Bell and Mehmeti aren't the best options for the wide forwards, but they combined for the first goal, and we won at a canter, so I guess they can be the answer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crimson Crayola said:

I wasnt overly enthusiastic with the line-up of James and Williams but tonight proved they can play together without sacrificing impetus. Both of them immense.

Both deserve new contracts imo. 

• Like 4

Outstanding win & performance. Chalk n cheese compared to Leeds game. Thought LM gambled with 4 subs in a short period and with a fair bit of time left but it looked seamless! 👍

Still think we're lacking that bit of quality in the final third which could be the difference come May but the new guy looked tidy in the short time he was on.

39 minutes ago, redkev said:

Russel Martin being interviewed, what a big headed cock 

I liked his interview tbh. I was just looking at his back story- abusive father, who was in and out of jail. Cleaning toilets, Set up a foundation in Brighton etc etc. admittedly I went to hot yoga tonight so I might be in the wrong mindset but I concluded he is a decent man. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

That's the weird thing, we look at the line up and it doesn't look right, but it works. Most City fans would say that Bell and Mehmeti aren't the best options for the wide forwards, but they combined for the first goal, and we won at a canter, so I guess they can be the answer.

Mehmeti is too frustrating and inconsistent for my liking. Did well for the goal but after that was wasteful and a bit headless including a needless foul when their player was deep in their own half near the corner flag. He's still young and clearly has talent but has a way to go to be in a promotion pushing side

54 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

I laughed as soon as I saw the thread title. 

Superb to a man today. And as was just alluded to buy Jamo, Manning set the team up with precisely the right plan.

The only blip being Leeds but aside from that, LM has got us set up well to win games. What happens on the pitch is down to the players and showing they are capable of implementing what they are coached to do

The squad now looks far stronger and the depth has helped LM to rotate and keep the players as fresh as possible

The next 2 games will be tough against teams fighting for their lives but with the likes of Twine, Sykes & Dire available to provide that goal threat and creativity there is no reason not to be positive, thereafter Ipswich & WBA aren’t teams we should be fearful of providing we reach the levels that we achieved this evening

Tonights game and performance has set the bar, the challenge is to maintain that to the end of the season 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Mehmeti is too frustrating and inconsistent for my liking. Did well for the goal but after that was wasteful and a bit headless including a needless foul when their player was deep in their own half near the corner flag. He's still young and clearly has talent but has a way to go to be in a promotion pushing side

I fear Mehmeti will fall down the pecking order if McCrorie, Twine, Bell, Sykes & Dire get opportunity’s and perform well. I appreciate he’s still young but this is a results business and performance is everything 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Outstanding win & performance. Chalk n cheese compared to Leeds game. Thought LM gambled with 4 subs in a short period and with a fair bit of time left but it looked seamless! 👍

Still think we're lacking that bit of quality in the final third which could be the difference come May but the new guy looked tidy in the short time he was on.

I was thinking he needed more legs on the pitch at 60 mins and he did exactly that and also again 10-15 mins later. Good call and did the right thing at the right time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

You were bang on right that I shouldn't have written off this game :worship2: 

Bazunu was 30 minutes late charging out of his area….thought he was gonna hack Mehmeti down!  That would’ve been funny!

58 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

In terms of performance , the opponents a pp club , on their run , the way LM set us up and the individual and collective performances , and the result to round it off ,that’s about as good as it’s come for a few years probably

Well done LM and every player who executed the game plan so well - that’s the standard we should be aspiring to now 💪🏻💪🏻

🔴🔥⚪🔥🔴

Yep.  Near flawless.

Dont want to call any player out tonight, but Matty James was top, top-drawer tonight.  Strong as an Ox too.

54 minutes ago, redkev said:

Russel Martin being interviewed, what a big headed cock 

Can’t wait to watch that later.

+++++

Sorry everyone for the thread, I hit submit on the final whistle, and legged it to the car to listen to BBCRB.

• Robin 1

26 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

We can ignore that, and the number of passes they completed.

It's the goals that count.

Martin-Ball - 68% possession of which 60% of it was in their own third. 🤣🤣🤣

Don't ever play like that LM.

The press / block of Knight and Conway backed up by Mehmeti on Manning and Bell on KWP was near-faultless, allowed Jamo and Williams to play high.  Beautiful.

• Like 3

After tough home games against West Ham, Forest and Leeds, in a way Southampton were the perfect opposition. They want all the possession but struggled against a high press and over-committed when coming forward with a defence and keeper for whom defending wasn’t their strongest attribute. Plus a great performance by so many players, but a special shout out for Hayden Roberts, who had a stormer to the extent we didn’t miss Pring at all. That’s saying something!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

After tough home games against West Ham, Forest and Leeds, in a way Southampton were the perfect opposition. They want all the possession but struggled against a high press and over-committed when coming forward with a defence and keeper for whom defending wasn’t their strongest attribute. Plus a great performance by so many players, but a special shout out for Hayden Roberts, who had a stormer to the extent we didn’t miss Pring at all. That’s saying something!

Definitely. A less physical player than Pring but a really great performance and more than deserves his place. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Martin-Ball - 68% possession of which 60% of it was in their own third. 🤣🤣🤣

Don't ever play like that LM.

The press / block of Knight and Conway backed up by Mehmeti on Manning and Bell on KWP was near-faultless, allowed Jamo and Williams to play high.  Beautiful.

Thought we pressed well on triggers 

Not pressing constantly burning energy but when we did we pressed as a unit

And James and Williams bossed it in the heart

• Like 3

That was enjoyable. We have had spells, minutes even halves where we have been good and it looked like the sort of football Manning wants, tonight was pretty much 90 minutes. Yes even those spells where they had the ball , yes they created a couple of chances & hit the top of the bar, but to a man we defended with calmness and quality. I thought the press worked well , let them play but when we went we went as a team. How many times did Williams nick it , or James come stealing in. Dickie oozes class and I thought Tanner stood up to a stern test really well. I still get annoyed with Mehmeti , but credit where it's due , he had much more impact tonight  . Special mention for Haydon Roberts, thought he was excellent tonight. From the first few games he looked like he carried more threat than Pring , and some of the link up play was very promising . 

You have to praise Manning too, the Subs did exactly what he would have wanted, each one having a positive impact and keeping us on the front foot  © .
The one poor game was the officials . The Lino on the Lansdown side could not spot an offside all first half and the Ref thought there was a rule where you couldn't book a Southampton player. 4 separate shirt pulls and they got away with them all. Still I won't let it upset me tonight. Just need to do something very Un City like and beat QPR Saturday. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bazunu was 30 minutes late charging out of his area….thought he was gonna hack Mehmeti down!  That would’ve been funny!

Yep.  Near flawless.

Dont want to call any player out tonight, but Matty James was top, top-drawer tonight.  Strong as an Ox too.

Can’t wait to watch that later.

+++++

Sorry everyone for the thread, I hit submit on the final whistle, and legged it to the car to listen to BBCRB.

James is such a clever player. Not the quickest but has an extra yard in his head. Every team needs one like him. I really hope we see sense and sign him up along with Williams now they are both proving their fitness. Just shows how much fitness does to bring the best out of a player. It took a while for both of them but they are purring at the moment 👌

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I reckon tonight’s bench is amongst the best we’ve had at Championship level and will only get stronger with the return of Pring, Twine and Atkinson. 

It’s the hope that kills you!

Midfield is best I can remember in a long long time