IGNORED

Great result, but…

Davefevs

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

In terms of performance , the opponents a pp club , on their run , the way LM set us up and the individual and collective performances , and the result to round it off ,that’s about as good as it’s come for a few years probably

Well done LM and every player who executed the game plan so well - that’s the standard we should be aspiring to now 💪🏻💪🏻

🔴🔥⚪🔥🔴

Fully agree, I said similar tonight in the context of the opponent (and they were above Leeds at the start who battered us last week) their run etc that’s one of the best home wins I’ve seen from us.

Southampton weren’t even that bad tonight, they had a couple of chances. We were just that good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Effing outstanding performance!!!

😉😉😉😉😉

Great result but what? Well, normally I give you a free pass but tonight you join the clickbateable society along with countless others that I follow on YouTube, please don't stoop to their level; it's not big and it's not clever.

Edited by pillred
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

After tough home games against West Ham, Forest and Leeds, in a way Southampton were the perfect opposition. They want all the possession but struggled against a high press and over-committed when coming forward with a defence and keeper for whom defending wasn’t their strongest attribute. Plus a great performance by so many players, but a special shout out for Hayden Roberts, who had a stormer to the extent we didn’t miss Pring at all. That’s saying something!

I was ever so pleased he had a good game against Forest for his first real mind back in the team.  I really liked him preseason but sometimes it’s hard to handle being second fiddle to a player like Pring, then he got injured.  And it becomes easy as a fanbase to pigeon hole him as a poor signing.

So well played Haydon.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Great result but what? Well, normally I give you a free pass but tonight you join the clickbateable society along with countless others that I follow on YouTube, please don't stoop to their level; it's not big and it's not clever.

Great result, but…an effing outstanding performance.  It was all there in my OP. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, pillred said:

Did you miss the pelters Dave took for posting a “Great Result but…” thread after the Boro win as he wanted to discuss the reasons for our backs to the wall second half performance?

This was Dave giving credit where it’s due with a bit of self-deprecation thrown in. Not sure I’d call it clickbait.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Just like the youtubers, he craves attention for cyber “likes”

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 3

9 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

31% possession ...💘

The amount of possession really is the most useless data in any team sport. It's like leading on a grand Prix for 99% of the time and being overtaken with half a lap to go.

Southampton were a typical lower Premier league side, full of good technical players, keeping possession without making any real inroads into the opponents defence.

We've seen this so many times this season that it's completely boring to watch. 

Have City reverted to the game plan that was being built by NP and which LM has possibly realised is the way to win games?

Stop going sideways and backwards all the time to keep possession and hitting to other side with real pace - not only on both touchlines but also through the middle. Attacking the opponents straight through what has been forbidden territory for too long.

I walked out of Ashton Gate last evening buzzing with excitement just like I did when I was a six year old after my first City match. I wanted to go in Ashton Park and kick a tennis ball like I did then! This old man hasn't grown up. COYREDS!!!!

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 3
  • Robin 3

7 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Fully agree, I said similar tonight in the context of the opponent (and they were above Leeds at the start who battered us last week) their run etc that’s one of the best home wins I’ve seen from us.

Southampton weren’t even that bad tonight, they had a couple of chances. We were just that good.

I didn’t think that the Saints were anywhere near as impressive as Leeds.They’re  the best team I’ve seen at AG this season. 

City were on top form last night and Mannings tactics and set up were spot on.

Watching all lonely from a Wigan hotel room I was delighted with what I saw tonight. 

There is an air of caution to be mindful of though, and that is that we played the same way in the first half on Saturday and the same way as we did against Watford. That, last night, was absolutely not Manning-ball and showed that our strengths lie in other tactics. My worry is that against a struggling side like QPR we revert back to MB and try and bore the opposition into submission.

I just hope he finally realises that taking the game to the opposition and quick counter attacks is when we look at our best. 

Keep up with that style towards the end of the season and a little glimmer of hope starts to spark.

In terms of players, is anyone else getting bored of saying "Joe Williams was outstanding today"? The man is possessed and needs to be signed up immediately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The amount of possession really is the most useless data in any team sport. It's like leading on a grand Prix for 99% of the time and being overtaken with half a lap to go.

Southampton were a typical lower Premier league side, full of good technical players, keeping possession without making any real inroads into the opponents defence.

Have City reverted to the game plan that was being built by NP and which LM has possibly realised is the way to win games?

Stop going sideways and backwards all the time to keep possession and hitting to other side with real pace - not only on both touchlines but also through the middle. Attacking the opponents straight through what has been forbidden territory for too long.

I walked out of Ashton Gate last evening buzzing with excitement just like I did when I was a six year old after my first City match. I wanted to go in Ashton Park and kick a tennis ball like I did then! This old man hasn't grown up. COYREDS!!!!

Exactly my point, obsession in some quarters, fine if you have elite footballers. Often boring to behold either way if largely at the back.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pillred said:

I'd hardly call it clickbait when 90% of posters would have known instantly from the thread title that he was taking the piss out of himself... Cheer up and enjoy the excellent win :winner_third_h4h:

• Like 4

10 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

31% possession ...💘

That sums up my hatred for the type of football that Russell Martin likes to play. The vast majority of their possession was passes between their defenders and goalkeeper in their defensive third.

Bored me to death at times last night 😴

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

It’s the Russell Martin way . His Swansea team was boring as **** . Amassing about 600 passes in their own half. He’s obviously got much better players to execute it at Southampton . That’s why I take possession stats with a pitch of salt . With all the ball they had they didn’t hurt us . 

10 hours ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

No back 3/5… didn't invite pressure. Kept at it the whole 100+ minutes.

All the subs did their bit. Great performance from the whole team.

Have that Russell Martin you whinging tosspot.

COYR.

4.2.1.3, it’s what we should have been doing and what the squad was developed to play this season. No more narrow number 10s please, width and pace is what BS3 orders! 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MarcusX said:

It's funny that Southampton fans are saying precisely the opposite.

"Bristol City weren't even that good tonight. We were just that bad."

8 hours ago, Ian M said:

Did you miss the pelters Dave took for posting a “Great Result but…” thread after the Boro win as he wanted to discuss the reasons for our backs to the wall second half performance?

This was Dave giving credit where it’s due with a bit of self-deprecation thrown in. Not sure I’d call it clickbait.

Nothing wrong with the post at all I just don't like clickbait headlines, the Macmaster does it on Youtube and I have had a go at him for it as well.

• Facepalm 1

35 minutes ago, real_bristol said:

Great result but means nothing if we get nothing from QPR on Saturday. As our main man Manning has already identified, consistency is key.

I agree with the sentiment. There is a bit of me though that is excited by seeing how we CAN play, the potential, so last night still means something to me. Apart from the Leeds game, the boss now has something to point at in training, a short collection of good performances, the hint of a blueprint, not just results. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Martin-Ball - 68% possession of which 60% of it was in their own third. 🤣🤣🤣

Don't ever play like that LM.

Wasn‘t it Russell Martin’s Swansea side that went to Forest the other year, had 70% possession yet got pummelled 5-0.

Massive difference between possession and good possession. 

• Like 2