IGNORED

Charlton fa cup 94 open end picture

sticks 1969

5 hours ago, Red Homer said:

I was at this game, had a trip to Halfords at Cribbs in the morning to pick up my new air horn, turned up to the game with my binbag full of ripped paper for the ticker-tape. Sat behind the goal in the East End and have a vague memory of Tins scoring a beauty direct from a free-kick in the first half, only for it to be disallowed. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes you definitely had a binbag full of ripped paper

Edited by southside
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Tight git 🤑

was way too skint back then to have the choice of being tight or not.

How things change, on my last visit to London to watch City, West Ham, I probably spent more on trains, food & drink, hotel etc, than I’d spend in a couple of months back then.

Of course there’s one thing that’ll always be consistent in our lives, our football club. Still in the same two divisions we’ve been in for 40 years, still losing cup games we should have won, still beating some real good teams followed very quickly by losing to relegation threatened teams…… rich or poor you’ve got to love our club! 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

47 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I remember turning up at Charlton without a ticket hoping to get one on the day. I remember I was skint and got a cheap bus up from Bristol earlier in the day and hoped I could get a ticket at face value as I didn’t have a penny more.

Waiting near the main entrance I recognised one of our directors, can’t remember his name but he wore quite big glasses. Anyway I asked him if he had any spare tickets and he produced one from his pocket and gave it to me for nothing.

I have no doubt Steve Lansdown would do the same today, although there would, of course, be a booking fee to pay ....

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

On a side note, Charlton are one of those movable trips. Saw us lose 2-1 at Palace when they were there, 2-1 at WHU when they were there and 2-0 at the Valley.

Yep. I would guess that you and I are amongst a very small number of City fans who have seen us play Charlton at 4 different grounds. Ashton Gate, Selhurst Park, Upton Park & The Valley. 
I can’t remember there being very many of us at Selhurst and probably only 1,000 or so at Upton Park, so there won’t be many fans who can say they were at all 4 grounds. 
I always fancied playing Charlton in the playoff final as it would then be 5 different grounds, which I’m sure would be a very unique phenomenon. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harry said:

I always fancied playing Charlton in the playoff final as it would then be 5 different grounds, which I’m sure would be a very unique phenomenon. 

Coventry in a play off final would be a 7th different ground in living memory for older fans (Ashton Gate, Highfield Road, Ricoh / Coventry Building Society Arena, Sixfields, St Andrews and Burton), although I think the game at St Andrews was behind closed doors due to covid restrictions. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

was way too skint back then to have the choice of being tight or not.

How things change, on my last visit to London to watch City, West Ham, I probably spent more on trains, food & drink, hotel etc, than I’d spend in a couple of months back then.

Of course there’s one thing that’ll always be consistent in our lives, our football club. Still in the same two divisions we’ve been in for 40 years, still losing cup games we should have won, still beating some real good teams followed very quickly by losing to relegation threatened teams…… rich or poor you’ve got to love our club! 

I remember what it was like to be skint following the City Ralph, I remember going to an away game on CATS back in the late 70s and opening up my fish paste sandwiches, that didn’t go down well !!!

• Haha 2

Over 25 arrests at that game, always stuck in my mind because the atmosphere and amount of trouble was completely unexpected.

Millwall, and apparently others turned up, but no idea why this game was chosen, it's not exactly a common event for fans of different clubs to mix like that, especially with Charlton and Millwall being less than 5 miles apart and rivals themselves presumably.

Remember watching the replay from the East End on a big screen, another grim evening at the Gate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TV Tom said:

I remember what it was like to be skint following the City Ralph, I remember going to an away game on CATS back in the late 70s and opening up my fish paste sandwiches, that didn’t go down well !!!

Could have been worse could have been egg and cress :laugh:.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Over 25 arrests at that game, always stuck in my mind because the atmosphere and amount of trouble was completely unexpected.

Millwall, and apparently others turned up, but no idea why this game was chosen, it's not exactly a common event for fans of different clubs to mix like that, especially with Charlton and Millwall being less than 5 miles apart and rivals themselves presumably.

Remember watching the replay from the East End on a big screen, another grim evening at the Gate.

The Millwall turnout at the Charlton game at AG was part of a long running feud between “certain” City fans and Millwall at the time. There were several clashes away from AG with Millwall that went unreported by the press at the time which I am not going to disclose on here, but those ITK will know.

• Like 3

Yes, a really odd day. Sat in the old grandstand in the seating nearest to the Open End which was a first for me. Bizarrely, a chap a few rows away just stood up early on in the match and nutted a lad full in the face who had criticised a passage of play. The crack of breaking his nose reverberated around the stand. Awful. 

Rumour I heard was it wasn’t just Millwall who had turned out from London to bolster Charlton’s support for the match. 

Funny how things stick with you, even though most of the time I have no idea even what day it is 😀

16 hours ago, BS30 City said:

I chatted to some spurs lads years ago who said a few of them joined the show as well! I think it was a london day out! Said city were absolutely crazy that day and was one of the most scary away games. Slightly different now

I didn't go to this game but knew a few lads that went and said it kicked right off.

Also remember reading in one of Eddy Brimsons books (either "Everywhere we go" or "Capital Punishment") that there were Chelsea, Tottenham and Millwall there which i thought sounded like bollocks at the time (these books must be 20 - 25 years old.) 

Book said the Charlton b mob (and co) lot were let out and had to face hundreds of City who were going effing mental!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Brimsons full of it, he wrote once Watford turned city over at the hole in the wall, in the late 90s, laughable, you know what he does now? Chip shop reviews on youtube, I kid you not,

Agree , lots of BS in those books.

Chip shop reviews? - hope he gets battered.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Brimsons full of it, he wrote once Watford turned city over at the hole in the wall, in the late 90s, laughable, you know what he does now? Chip shop reviews on youtube, I kid you not,

In fairness, my recollection of that incident was that Watford did actually give it a bloody good go. 
I think it went on for quite a while, no old bill arrived for a long time, and there were bodies strewn everywhere. 
City certainly came out on top, but Watford were ‘game’ as they say, on that day. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

In fairness, my recollection of that incident was that Watford did actually give it a bloody good go. 
I think it went on for quite a while, no old bill arrived for a long time, and there were bodies strewn everywhere. 
City certainly came out on top, but Watford were ‘game’ as they say, on that day. 

If my memory is right, Watford had a few black guys in there lot who could look after themselves. As stated, they gave it a good go, but that was a good mob of City that day.
One black Watford lad was a massive lump of a geezer IIRC. Great days watching football.

2 hours ago, City37 said:

Agree , lots of BS in those books.

Chip shop reviews? - hope he gets battered.

Agreed, always amazes me exactly how accurate some of these "stories" are when written 20 years or more after the event, i can barely remember what happened last week

20 hours ago, fisherrich said:

The Millwall turnout at the Charlton game at AG was part of a long running feud between “certain” City fans and Millwall at the time. 

Yep, I was at Corinthian Casuals in '83 when Millwall turned up.

Was this the start of the long running feud you talk of?

There had always been an air of trouble when City played Millwall, I remember it in the 70's and I've heard stories going right back to the mid 60's, but this was on match days and Millwall's yob element had stronger rivalries with other clubs, so why did it become a long running feud with City in particular?

At the time of the Corinthian Casuals match we'd only played Millwall in 1 season - 81/82 - since '75, so did something notable happen at one of those games in 81/82 to start it off?

• Like 1