IGNORED

Torquay United Enter Administration

RedRock

9 hours ago, RedRock said:

Having lived in South Devon for 35+ years, I think you will find Newton Abbot is very much a Torquay Utd town.  

Genuinely feel for their supporters as they are amongst the most passionate about their Club as any fans I’ve met. Hope they can find a way back to regain Football League status sooner rather than later. 

Yeah should have said outside of Torbay really I know NA is not really part of Torbay but it's where the railway diverges and is very close to Torquay.

Lets hope that they get a new owner soon but if they get a -10 deduction they could be dragged into the relegation fight with Truro and Taunton.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2024 at 14:23, downendcity said:

Listened to Talksport briefly today and they were discussing that Torquay have gone into administration.

The journalist they had on was talking about their owner, and he ( the journalist) commented that what fans want from an owner is that they leave the club in a better situation than it was when they took it on.

Given all the negativity surrounding SL and recent events, allied to many fans apparently wanting SL to sell the club and make way for a new owner it got me thinking.

If SL sold up tomorrow do you think that he would be leaving the club in a better situation than when he became the owner?

Yes

On 22/02/2024 at 14:32, glynriley said:

Unquestionably. Better facilities and continued second tier football show that.

I think the problem for the Lansdowns is their continued inability to find the right formula. Flip flopping all over the place and getting nowhere fast.

He'd leave us in a better place, but it could have been so much better if he'd have stuck to a plan.

Their issue is talk about PL ambitions. Our transfer strategy has to improve. Look at who Hull invested in. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Yeah should have said outside of Torbay really I know NA is not really part of Torbay but it's where the railway diverges and is very close to Torquay.

Lets hope that they get a new owner soon but if they get a -10 deduction they could be dragged into the relegation fight with Truro and Taunton.

It has always baffled me that Taunton Town FC has never risen to a better level.

Taunton is a big place with no local rivals and keen on sport as the support for Somerset Cricket Club shows.

I used to live there as a kid and still faintly know a small number of people there. Whilst the cricket was a big deal I never had one conversation about TTFC and the only connection was one of my parents' friends had a season ticket as his birthday present each year.

Now there is a sleeping giant, albeit a non-league one.

On 23/02/2024 at 09:49, ralphindevon said:

I must have been stood no more than 10 meters from that police van when it went over, also remember the city fans in a boat on the harbour.

Sadly I missed the Nolan sisters

I can still hear the tremendous crash as the police van went over,I know you shouldn't laugh but 😂😂😂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 22A said:

Yeovil?

It's nearly thirty miles driving or 2hrs 16min by train accordng to The Trainline, I lived in Taunton for maybe six years and went to many places but never Yeovil.

I have nothing against Yeovil but it's one of those places where it is hard to discern a reason for visiting them, like Ilminster or Chard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It's nearly thirty miles driving or 2hrs 16min by train accordng to The Trainline, I lived in Taunton for maybe six years and went to many places but never Yeovil.

I have nothing against Yeovil but it's one of those places where it is hard to discern a reason for visiting them, like Ilminster or Chard.

Better bands than Taunton, that's for sure. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm not about to take up verbal arms in a Taunton vs Yeovil rivalry given that it is decades since I lived there! I haven't been back for years and wouldn't have a clue about bands.

All I'll say is that 'have the NME ever done a one-page special on the Taunton music scene?'  No - I rest my case. 🤣

These days, Taunton is a soulless dump and Yeovil is a depressing dump. In my opinion. Yeovil's still got a better music/art/nightlife scene though. As long as you avoid its remaining pubs. 😬

Edit: Jenny Agutter and both my daughters were born in Taunton though, so that earns it some plus points.

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

All I'll say is that 'have the NME ever done a one-page special on the Taunton music scene?'  No - I rest my case. 🤣

These days, Taunton is a soulless dump and Yeovil is a depressing dump. In my opinion. Yeovil's still got a better music/art/nightlife scene though. As long as you avoid its remaining pubs. 😬

Edit: Jenny Agutter and both my daughters were born in Taunton though, so that earns it some plus points.

And of course Arthur Dent / Bridey actor Simon Jones who went to King's, though Wikipedia doesn't seem to be aware of that.

• Thanks 1

More about this Clarke Osborne, who is involved at Torquay and as I have said, closed down many stadiums for housing.

On A swindon Motor sports website, he lists this as his bio

https://swindonmotorsports.co.uk/team-%26-partners

Clarke is Chairman of Gaming International the owners of the Swindon Stadium at Abbeymeads. Not known by many, Clarke has a long history in Speedway and motorsport, including the creation and operation of the most successful Speedway venue of the modern era in Bristol. 

Clarke has been actively involved in the promotion of speedway in Oxford. Poole, Swindon, Reading, White City and Wembley. He has completed in Hot Rod racing, Karting and Stage Rallying.

Now excuse me, and I have been involved in the sport of speedway for over 20 years, but Bristol?

I fear the worse for Torquay..

Edited by M.D
  • Like 1
  • Flames 2

19 hours ago, M.D said:

More about this Clarke Osborne, who is involved at Torquay and as I have said, closed down many stadiums for housing.

On A swindon Motor sports website, he lists this as his bio

https://swindonmotorsports.co.uk/team-%26-partners

Now excuse me, and I have been involved in the sport of speedway for over 20 years, but Bristol?

I fear the worse for Torquay..

Bristol was a top speedway team in the 70ss; Phil Crump, Tormod Langli, Neil Boocock etc. Then they had to close; officially due to noise complaints by people living next to the M32. Swindon face housing going up on their track just as happened at Oxford & Reading.

• Thanks 1

On 24/02/2024 at 09:35, Eddie Hitler said:

It has always baffled me that Taunton Town FC has never risen to a better level.

Taunton is a big place with no local rivals and keen on sport as the support for Somerset Cricket Club shows.

I used to live there as a kid and still faintly know a small number of people there. Whilst the cricket was a big deal I never had one conversation about TTFC and the only connection was one of my parents' friends had a season ticket as his birthday present each year.

Now there is a sleeping giant, albeit a non-league one.

Finally playing at the highest level they ever have though.

I think it's just not a football town, for whatever reason. Cricket obsessed and a lot of rugby too. There's a lot of City fans in Taunton too tbf.

I went to the FA Vase final with Taunton in 1996 and we took about 7k to the old Wembley, so I agree there is some potential there if TTFC sustained themselves consistently at a good level. Realistically though, that's no higher than the National League unless a proper wealthy benefactor came along.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I went to the FA Vase final with Taunton in 1996 and we took about 7k to the old Wembley, so I agree there is some potential there if TTFC sustained themselves consistently at a good level. Realistically though, that's no higher than the National League unless a proper wealthy benefactor came along.

Me too.  Andy Perrott wasn’t fit, should’ve never played!

On 12/03/2024 at 13:18, 22A said:

Bristol was a top speedway team in the 70ss; Phil Crump, Tormod Langli, Neil Boocock etc. Then they had to close; officially due to noise complaints by people living next to the M32. Swindon face housing going up on their track just as happened at Oxford & Reading.

Don't forget Steve Gresham, Tommy Leadbitter and Neil Farnish (or nail Varnish, as we called him) .