IGNORED

Torquay United Enter Administration

RedRock

23 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Clarke Osborne - that's him , he was involved with the Gas & instrumental in selling Eastville to IKEA, tried it on at Swindon, and has been trying to buy Plainmoor ( it's council owned) so he can use it to " fund a new stadium" yeah right. Apparently he never attended Torquay games.

A parasite who sees a club in need of financial help as a way to acquire cheap real estate.

Fit and proper person then doesnt apply in the National Leagues ?

Shocking.

21 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

That they’ll be unable to fulfill their fixtures 

Somebody has to fund the generously low say £250,000 to get them to the end of the season.

The shareholders might, but then why would you threaten administration in the middle of a season and not wait until 31 May? 

16 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Somebody has to fund the generously low say £250,000 to get them to the end of the season.

The shareholders might, but then why would you threaten administration in the middle of a season and not wait until 31 May? 

Interesting but difficult times ahead.

I’m working on Saturday but might buy a ticket for the match anyway. It really would be grim if they drop even further……or worse! 

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Interesting but difficult times ahead.

I’m working on Saturday but might buy a ticket for the match anyway. It really would be grim if they drop even further……or worse! 

Will Exeter (or to a lesser extent ,Plymouth) fans be acting like we would if the same thing was happening to the gash, as I believe there was no love lost between them ?

39 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Will Exeter (or to a lesser extent ,Plymouth) fans be acting like we would if the same thing was happening to the gash, as I believe there was no love lost between them ?

I did see a post from a Plymouth supporters club asking for fans to attend Torquay matches when possible to offer support. Torquay have fallen so far plus there’s room for more than the two league clubs Devon currently has.

As for our situation, same city rivalries are a quite different and you could argue there’s not room for two clubs in the city, so………….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Not to the same extent. The main rivalry is Plymouth and Exeter. I would place Torquay to them in a similar way that Yeovil used to be for us. Close, but not the main rivals and animosity has never really built up.

Edited by The Nest Egg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I did see a post from a Plymouth supporters club asking for fans to attend Torquay matches when possible to offer support. Torquay have fallen so far plus there’s room for more than the two league clubs Devon currently has.

As for our situation, same city rivalries are a quite different and you could argue there’s not room for two clubs in the city, so………….

Yes having lived in Devon for 3 years, no one outside of Torquay has much interest in Torquay! Plymouth v Exeter is a pretty fierce rivalry though.

I think Torquay stayed full-time in National League South which would be insane if true.

I was at Plainmoor for the infamous Torquay v Bristol City game in 83/84. 

• Like 2

As a boy who was born in Paignton, my first experience of league football was a Torquay game vs Southport in the FA Cup (I think) back in '78 or so.  May have been '77 but I do remember it was a birthday party!  And then I was an unused substitute 2 seasons on the trot for Oldway in the Beulieu Cup Final at Plainmoor.  I think that might be a record.

Anyway, I always have a soft spot for Torquay as a club.

I did a recent contract with B&NES Council and worked with a guy called Tim who saw them home and away every game.  Spent many a happy hour distracting ourselves from work with TUFC v City discussions.

Edited by Vespa Red
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Yes having lived in Devon for 3 years, no one outside of Torquay has much interest in Torquay! Plymouth v Exeter is a pretty fierce rivalry though.

I think Torquay stayed full-time in National League South which would be insane if true.

Yes Torquay and Yeovil are full time and I think Worthing and Maidstone are pretty much full time. Eastbourne were considering it but are third bottom so that’s not going well.

I was at that Torquay game too, great memories. In fact Torquay were the first league team I saw whilst on holiday when they played Saturday evenings. I still go at least once a year now.

10 hours ago, The Nest Egg said:

Not to the same extent. The main rivalry is Plymouth and Exeter. I would place Torquay to them in a similar way that Yeovil used to be for us. Close, but not the main rivals and animosity has never really built up.

Went to an Exeter Torquay game years ago and the home fans response to Torquay was effectively we don’t care enough to hate you! Defo Argyle Exeter over everything.

9 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

When I think of Torquay I think of over-turned police-cars, the Nolan sisters and boats !!!!

I must have been stood no more than 10 meters from that police van when it went over, also remember the city fans in a boat on the harbour.

Sadly I missed the Nolan sisters

9 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I must have been stood no more than 10 meters from that police van when it went over, also remember the city fans in a boat on the harbour.

Sadly I missed the Nolan sisters

To be fair there was only one sister there but it always brings a smile to my face when I hear ‘I’m in the mood for dancing’ on the radio 😄

• Like 1

Torquay used to play their games on Saturday nights. The reason being people arrive on holiday o a Saturday and might be looking for entertainment and attend the match. That increased he gate receipts. I went a couple of times; there were special busses laid on from Brixham as well as Paignton. Ironically the first game I saw at Plainmoor, they were home to.....Rochdale.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Having lived in South Devon for 35+ years, I think you will find Newton Abbot is very much a Torquay Utd town.  

Genuinely feel for their supporters as they are amongst the most passionate about their Club as any fans I’ve met. Hope they can find a way back to regain Football League status sooner rather than later. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Went to an Exeter Torquay game years ago and the home fans response to Torquay was effectively we don’t care enough to hate you! Defo Argyle Exeter over everything.

"We only laugh at the Torquay" is what Argyle fans used to sing. I've been to Exeter vs Torquay and Exeter vs Plymouth games and there is simply no comparison. As previous posters have mentioned its like us and yeovil, not much in it.

Exeter vs Argyle though... now that is tasty. Must be the second biggest derby in these parts after us against the blue few

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

Having lived in South Devon for 35+ years, I think you will find Newton Abbot is very much a Torquay Utd town.  

Genuinely feel for their supporters as they are amongst the most passionate about their Club as any fans I’ve met. Hope they can find a way back to regain Football League status sooner rather than later. 

In the late 60s Torquay had crowds of 10,000 on a lot of occasions in the third tier, went to a lot of there Saturday night gams, they were nearly promoted a couple of times.

The big Derby at the time was Torquay v Argyle, Exeter were not in the equation as they spent at least 10 years in the bottom tier.

South Devon was very much Torquay you had to reach Totnes,Ashburton Buckfastleigh before Argyle support became prominent.

21 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Clarke Osborne - that's him , he was involved with the Gas & instrumental in selling Eastville to IKEA, tried it on at Swindon, and has been trying to buy Plainmoor ( it's council owned) so he can use it to " fund a new stadium" yeah right. Apparently he never attended Torquay games.

A parasite who sees a club in need of financial help as a way to acquire cheap real estate.

Your post summed up pretty much everything I wanted to say.  Gulls fans knew this chancer was running them into the ground. I'm afraid GJ has significantly tarnished his legacy as well by staying on, earning reputedly the biggest managerial salary in National South but grinding out terrible results. I mean, how can a team of full-time professionals (with half decent training facilities as well) manage to lose 0-4 at home to part-time St Albans City?

There are said to be some wealthy fans looking to potentially buy the club, without its debts, but the points deduction leaves it 18th and without a win since January 20th and managerless, relegation to the Southern League is entirely possible, which would mean the end of the club as a full-time outfit. 

Yeovil, by contrast, are quids in bounce back to Tier 5 on their first attempt. 

• Like 2