IGNORED

Torquay United Enter Administration

RedRock

A sad day for SW football. 

Think Gary Johnson stayed in post because they couldn’t afford to sack him. Clearly, we saw peak GJ. He’s sounded a broken man in recent interviews. Best for him and his health to walk away now. Cheers Gary and thanks for our journey. 

Edited by RedRock
  • Sad 6

Listened to Talksport briefly today and they were discussing that Torquay have gone into administration.

The journalist they had on was talking about their owner, and he ( the journalist) commented that what fans want from an owner is that they leave the club in a better situation than it was when they took it on.

Given all the negativity surrounding SL and recent events, allied to many fans apparently wanting SL to sell the club and make way for a new owner it got me thinking.

If SL sold up tomorrow do you think that he would be leaving the club in a better situation than when he became the owner?

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Listened to Talksport briefly today and they were discussing that Torquay have gone into administration.

The journalist they had on was talking about their owner, and he ( the journalist) commented that what fans want from an owner is that they leave the club in a better situation than it was when they took it on.

Given all the negativity surrounding SL and recent events, allied to many fans apparently wanting SL to sell the club and make way for a new owner it got me thinking.

If SL sold up tomorrow do you think that he would be leaving the club in a better situation than when he became the owner?

Depends. Who knows how he will leave it. Lots of variables to go yet.  Taking it that he sells us fairly (which he will I think) then the infrastructure is better than he inherited but for me that’s about it (and I’ve gripes about how he’s done that also).  Given the money he’s spent his tenure has been an abject failure on the pitch. Just my opinion.   

• Like 1

2 steps forward, two steps back, same div going around and around. Yes could be in the div below and also yes could be in the div above with a bit more belief.

Ground is better, according to reports but its not ours and we have been made part of something else and now more difficult to sell off just our bit of the cake.

With the new sporting quarter about to rise thats great, but for who? will it put millions more into B.C.F.C ?

I.M.O the club is left going around in circles while the Lansdown dream/empire continues to grow

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I wonder if they have calculated that they have no real chance in playoffs or of relegation so a good opportunity to get points deducted this season and go again next year?

Good luck to them though especially whilst GJ is the manager still, went there for a pre season friendly about 12 years ago where looking at an old photo the likes of Ryan Taylor, Martyn Woolford and David James were playing for City. Hope they get back into the FL at some stage.

• Like 1

City - yes undoubtedly better.  Anyone who disagrees tends to either come down on "we should have been better" or "we don't own the ground", but we do.  BCFC Holdings owns the club and the ground in separate subsidiary companies and anyone who still has shares has them in BCFC holdings, so owns part of the ground.

Torquay - wasn't this the mob who left Swindon is such a state and then moved on to Torquay in the hope of persuading the council to sell them the leased ground, which they would then have presumably sold for development and then put the club up for sale.  The council wasn't so daft after all.

I grew up with the three Devon clubs almost always in Division 4 and Yeovil in the Conference but with regular cup runs.  It's a shame how far Torquay and Yeovil have fallen.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mason said:

With the new sporting quarter about to rise thats great, but for who? will it put millions more into B.C.F.C ?

I'd say, it depends.

It could do but the Devil will be in the Detail..Hotel, Car Parking, Events yeah. Other bits? Maybe.

Could put one or two other bits under ownership of the club and rent to the Basketball e.g., would have to see what exactly it encompasses and how it is split.

Bigger Sports, bigger Group Namimg Rights potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Definitely. We are an established Championship team with an excellent stadium and training facilities with multiple revenue streams. 

Chuck in the planning permission The Bears and the money that has brought to the area I don’t see anyway you can’t say things are better. 

The yearning for Premier League football before many of us turn our toes up does skew people opinions somewhat. Including me!

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Absolutely

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

A sad day for SW football. 

Think Gary Johnson stayed in post because they couldn’t afford to sack him. Clearly, we saw peak GJ. He’s sounded a broken man in recent interviews. Best for him and his health to walk away now. Cheers Gary and thanks for our journey. 

I heard that about Johnson who I imagine is a wealthy man, and by all accounts a real football man.

If true why be part of the reason your club went under?

Clearly more to it than that and the owners sound rotten, but if they couldnt afford to sack him in the hopes of turning things around on the pitch then why not walk and give them the chance?

1 minute ago, Natchfever said:

I heard that about Johnson who I imagine is a wealthy man, and by all accounts a real football man.

If true why be part of the reason your club went under?

Clearly more to it than that and the owners sound rotten, but if they couldnt afford to sack him in the hopes of turning things around on the pitch then why not walk and give them the chance?

Agree, I’m surprised that considering his age, past health problems and the fact he rarely has a plan b, that after missing out so closely in the playoffs a few years ago that he didn’t quit then. Though Torquay themselves must take some blame for giving him a contract that long that they couldn’t afford if promotion didn’t happen.

Really hope they survive this without dropping too much, they still average over 2000 stuck in mid table in the sixth tier, so there’s an appetite for football in the town. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve always had soft spot for Torquay Utd - been to Plainmoor several times over the years and it’s a real shame that the club has fallen so far.

It’s financially very tough in the lower leagues especially as the low attendances does not provide much income, no TV income either

Because of the league position it’s difficult to recruit decent players and managers - it’s a vicious circle.

Anthony Osborne still involved?

He has a habit of running sports clubs into the ground and then selling the stadium for housing, he did it with Swindon speedway recently, their stadium is now pretty much Taylor Wimpey houses now..

• Like 2

I'm not the least surprised at TUFC's administration. I had the misfortune of being in the same form as the owner (Clarke Osbourne) at Sodbury Crammer in the 60's. He was a total jerk, an inveterate liar even then, and guess what, his father was on the board of one Bristol Rovers and greyhound stadium, also commercial director. Got his money from his old man after selling Eastville  (thereby hangs a tale), gone on to many shady business deals and looks like not finished yet !

1 minute ago, M.D said:

He has a habit of running sports clubs into the ground and then selling the stadium for housing, he did it with Swindon speedway recently, their stadium is now pretty much Taylor Wimpey houses now..

Clarke 

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

37 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I'm not the least surprised at TUFC's administration. I had the misfortune of being in the same form as the owner (Clarke Osbourne) at Sodbury Crammer in the 60's. He was a total jerk, an inveterate liar even then, and guess what, his father was on the board of one Bristol Rovers and greyhound stadium, also commercial director. Got his money from his old man after selling Eastville  (thereby hangs a tale), gone on to many shady business deals and looks like not finished yet !

Clarke 

I used to work with his wife….she was ruthless as well.

• Haha 1

Torquay have not yet entered Administration.

However the shareholder has issued a formal notice stating that it has the intention to appoint an Administrator.

I have heard that if that happens the club will be unable to meet the remaining fixtures, and will therefore be expelled from the Conference mid-season.

Time for someone else to fund the £1 million a year cash deficit of running a Conference club.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Torquay have not yet entered Administration.

However the shareholder has issued a formal notice stating that it has the intention to appoint an Administrator.

I have heard that if that happens the club will be unable to meet the remaining fixtures, and will therefore be expelled from the Conference mid-season.

Time for someone else to fund the £1 million a year cash deficit of running a Conference club.

Is that right? Fans I’ve spoken to are expecting a 10 point deduction, leaving them just above the relegation zone.

2 hours ago, M.D said:

Clarke Osborne - that's him , he was involved with the Gas & instrumental in selling Eastville to IKEA, tried it on at Swindon, and has been trying to buy Plainmoor ( it's council owned) so he can use it to " fund a new stadium" yeah right. Apparently he never attended Torquay games.

A parasite who sees a club in need of financial help as a way to acquire cheap real estate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

13 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Clarke Osborne - that's him , he was involved with the Gas & instrumental in selling Eastville to IKEA, tried it on at Swindon, and has been trying to buy Plainmoor ( it's council owned) so he can use it to " fund a new stadium" yeah right. Apparently he never attended Torquay games.

A parasite who sees a club in need of financial help as a way to acquire cheap real estate.

He has been instrumental in the closing of many speedway/greyhound stadia, all gone for housing.

Has fingers in many pies, look at him on companies house to see how many companies he was/is involved in.

• Like 1