IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday away match thread

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

I can't get my head around how we were so up for Southampton and so opposite for QPR and Weds. Fair enough we raised our game for the cup games but to go from Southampton to this is a shambles.

Because we'd have less of the ball against the bigger teams and our players work better on instinct and a more counter attacking style.

Then we revert to manningball possession against the teams who don't want to dominate the ball and we get found out. 

Same old. So predictable.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, RedM said:

I can't get my head around how we were so up for Southampton and so opposite for QPR and Weds. Fair enough we raised our game for the cup games but to go from Southampton to this is a shambles.

This is it..I'd say v QPR after the triple substitution especially fell apart, we were never fantastic but it played into their hands when they were a goal up and on the break.

Sykes, Dire, Cornick, Conway, Wells on the pitch at once is absurdly imbalanced.

Today was mostly inept throughout though.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3
5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Put bluntly, Manning has lost the team and the fans, or at least a match or two at the most from doing so.

Manning may have lost the team but it's more JL & BT who have lost the fans, and I expect the club to get a big shock when it comes to ST renewal.

• Like 1

Just watched the highlights. It looked to me that Vyner should have done better on both goals - he certainly gave the guy acres of room for the first one - and he was fortunate that a mistake didn’t result in a third. 

Edited by eardun

Under LJ I complained about being having less possession against sides that didn't play that way , Manning has taken us back there. Not just that but he seems to having removed any good bits from this side and made us punchless.
After the Cardiff game with 12 players out and having lost 2-0 I was still enjoying the season and looking forward to having players back and fit. Now with a fully fit squad (almost) we look devoid of ideas and look very second best to the worst teams in the division . Playing well against good sides with room to play is one thing, but we are so easy to play against . Once one team does it the others learn and we have no answer , that is down to the Manager/Coach. 
I felt we were building something, improving , all be it very slowly , but now I have nothing to cling to to make me think we will progress any time soon. 

Manning seems to like playing players who are not fit, who can't manage 90 minutes or even have them on the bench . The constant rotation is baffling , I get it if we are in a run of games but they have just had a week without a game and Roberts is dropped ( or "rested") for a clearly not fit Pring . We have pre planned substitutions because player aren't able to last and favourites who seem to play , or stay on however they are performing .  
These are not great ways to run a team IMO.

At the moment I am pissed off after another dismal display , after Ipswich it will be 3 months Manning has been in charge . If we lose at Ipswich (likely) and before that Cardiff ( equally likely) thing could get toxic for Manning. He will be here for the season, and most likely start next season but I would hope that the Lansdown's mark his card , because what I'm seeing isn't nearly good enough . 

That said I don't lump all the blame on LM , there are a few that are culpable . 
I think all we as fans can do is hope that something clicks soon , however unlikely that is there is no chance of a sacking this year , so I believe it's all we have.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

Kal Naismith was spot-on with his observations.  I think he'll make a very good manager after retirement.   Just a pity he's not available as I always think we play better with him in the side. He may make the occasional mistake but never shies away from having the ball and trying something positive.  As he said today, aside from being slow to react, it looked like players didn't show for the ball or want the ball.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Kal Naismith was spot-on with his observations.  I think he'll make a very good manager after retirement.   Just a pity he's not available as I always think we play better with him in the side. He may make the occasional mistake but never shies away from having the ball and trying something positive.  As he said today, aside from being slow to react, it looked like players didn't show for the ball or want the ball.  

Naismith and King caretaker management duo???

6 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

I picked up on that, referenced learning 3 times…need to learn, want to learn, capable of learning. Nothing like assessing whether your teaching skills are up to it or whether you totally know what you want to teach….

Yes but when your coach also seems clueless then you might suggest that’s the root of the problem. Always easier to blame others…

• Like 1
Just now, JP Hampton said:

It is often comments about players performance very little about his own part in it. 

Doesn’t that remind you of another young manager who has achieved nothing really of note before he came here but was massively indulged by the owners getting us into a right financial mess in the process? I really hate to say it, but even under LJ it was frequently better than this. Playing players who aren’t fully fit  to “rest” players who haven’t played for a well? Even the LJ selection tombola had more sense than that!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

His analysis was the only decent thing about the game today. Naismith’s honesty was refreshing. He seemed as bemused by the lacklustre display as us fans and he didn’t hold back from criticising Memheti 

• Like 2

I think the most frustrating thing for me is that the fan base and club are back to being divided. Under the previous regime, expectations were managed well, we were gradually progressing and seeing an influx of youngsters come through. It felt relatively solid. Pretty much as solid since Cotterills league winning season. The owners and that tosser Tinnion have ripped it up and that is unforgivable. We are a mess again (already!). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2