IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday away match thread

Back in November at home Curtis Fleming, in his solitary game in charge, steered us to a 1-0 victory, Rob Dickie got the goal, they were down to ten men for an hour after Barry Bannan saw red, the Owls successfully appealed the decision, highlights: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/highlights/highlights-bristol-city-1-0-sheffield-wednesday/

LM presser: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/home-top-featured/manning-on-training-injuries-and-more/ and https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/manning-on-owls-test/

They boast one of the most unusual names in English football, thanks to their Wednesday. Quite simply, the name goes back to when it was originally a cricket club that used to play their games on that day of the week.

Manager Danny Röhl began coaching at RB Leipzig, later working at SouthamptonBayern Munich and as assistant manager of the German national team.

In October 2023, he was appointed manager becoming the youngest manager in the EFL. He said he was looking forward to the challenge of his first managerial position.

Dominic Lorfa maybe poised for his return he has been missing since December owing to a muscle injury.

In January the Owls completed the loan signing of goalkeeper James Beadle from Brighton and Hove Albion. The 19-year-old spent the first half of the season on loan with Oxford United, where the young shot-stopper became a key member of the U’s side.

They also signed Troyes striker Ike Ugbo on loan until the end of the season. The 25-year-old Canada international was recalled from his season-long loan with Cardiff in order to join the Owls.

They pretty much universally dislike owner Dejphon Chansiri who appears to be something of a basket-case, https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday-dejphon-chansiri-news-b2439892.html and https://youtu.be/aUmg16npkOA

Players who have played for them and us include Jack Hunt, Carl Shutt, Lee Peacock, Richard O'Donnell and Tyreeq Bakinson.

Our head-to-head record, isn’t good!

Won: 19

Lost: 30

Drawn: 16

They currently occupy 23rd place with 29 points. Ashley Fletcher will be missing having got a red card last weekend when they beat Millwall away 2-0 from two shots on target.

Officials

Referee: Thomas Kirk

Assistants: Matthew Jones and Robert Hyde

Fourth official: James Linington

Here’s a good insight from one of their fans:

Ignore our season form. The only form of relevance is from our home game against Leicester on 29th Nov. Until then we’d had:- 

10 games under Xisco Munoz (2 points!!!)

1 draw under caretaker

6 games under Röhl but players were a car-crash and unfit. 

Since Leicester

P15. W6. D2. L7. 

20 points from 15 games. Hardly brilliant but certainly not a relegation team form. It’s just the huge ‘points penalty’ we incurred by having a total imposter ruining moral and fitness for 10 games. 

Best players by far, Bannan and Johnson. Bannan doesn’t get the plaudits he deserves from SW fans. He’s light-years better than the rest but if he dips slightly below HIS best we criticise. He’ll be the best player in the park v you; he always is. 

Johnson is playing LB and he’s superb. 3 goals and 3 assists from full-back in 12 starts and 2 half games since he came back from the naughty step under Munoz (seeing the common link here?). Sweetest left foot, crosses are a joy, drives forward. Oh, and he’s defending well.

We’ve two lightning wide forwards, Gassama and Musaba. Pigeon catchers and skilful. Their end-product is very poor. Terrible decision making. Gassama is 19. He really has the tools to be something special. If he’s on it he could destroy you. But 1 goal and 2 assists in 1000 league minutes tells you it’s rare his end product is there.

Pitch is shocking.

Röhl has the support of 95% of us. We really want him to do well. Breath of fresh air. He has come under criticism for recently adopting a 2-man midfield. Leaves us porous. 

19 year old loan keeper. Jury out. Personally, I think he’ll be great, but right now slightly struggling with the transition from playing L1 for Oxford in front of 8000 and Champs for Owls in front of 26000, and the pressure of a relegation fight.

We try to play football. Bit heart in mouth, but generally works. 

Thanks to Holmowl.

Sheffield stuff

Sheffield has a national park: Almost one-third of the city sits inside Peak District national Park. This is a distinction not held by any other city in the UK. This area, also called the Peak District, was given national park status in 1951; in fact, this was the first such designated area in the country. Today, the national park also includes Derbyshire, Cheshire, Greater Manchester, Yorkshire, and Staffordshire.

Sheffield’s trees outnumber the resident humans: the city has more than two million trees, which means there are more trees than humans. This is more than trees per humans than any other city in Europe. Where are all these trees living? You’ll find many of them in and around the city’s 240 parks, woodlands, and gardens.

Sheffield as been inhabited for ages: the area has been inhabited by humans since about 9,000 BC!

Sheffield once had the longest rainbow: back in March 1994, Sheffield was home to a record-breaking rainbow that lasted for six hours.

You’ll find phlegm all over: OK, you’re probably shuddering at the thought of mucus all over the city. However, we don’t mean mucus. We’re referring to one of our local artists who is called Phlegm. His works are literally found all over the city in graffiti types of art; however, his pieces are found all over the world. Back in Sheffield, Phlegm also paints murals that tell stories and more.

Sheffield runs on recycled energy: the city uses a district energy system, which turns domestic waste into thermal energy, which is then used to produce electricity and hot water! It takes over 225,000 tons of garbage a year to produce 19 megawatts of electricity and 60 megawatts of thermal energy. The hot water produced by this system flows through 25 miles of underground pipes to points all around the city.

Steel for the Brooklyn Bridge was created in Sheffield: who would have thought that that Sheffield and the Brooklyn Bridge, which is situated in New York City in the US, would have anything in common! But it does make sense when you consider that the city was once home to great steel mills.

About half the surgical blades in the world are made in Sheffield: that’s amazing, especially when you consider the number of surgical blades in the world. However, as a steel city, it does make sense that Sheffield is home to the factories that produce these much-needed blades that work to save lives.

Sheffield has a walk of fame: just outside the city’s Town Hall, you’ll find several star-shaped plaques that are engraved with the names of famous people who come from Sheffield. And they’re quite famous. The names include Jessica Ennis, Sebastian Coe, Sean Bean the actor, and more.

The Crucible Theatre: the theatre, for about 40 years, has been home to the World Snooker Championship.

Sheffield was the last gig for Tina Turner: for her 50th anniversary tour, the famous American singer had her last show at the FlyDSA Arena on May 5, 2009. This was her last live concert, after which she went into retirement.

Sir Arthur Conana Doyle lived in Sheffield: the creator of Sherlock Holmes was once a resident of Sheffield. In fact, he was a medic when he came to the city in 1878. He worked as an assistant to Dr. Charles Sydney Richard on Spital Hill, Burngreave.

Sheffield is the fourth largest city in England and the greenest city in the UK: While the city was once an industrial centre, today, the city features large numbers of trees and parks in the country. The city also features urban forests, earning the city the name “Tree City of the World.”

Famous people from Sheffield: the city has also been home to some pretty famous people, including Harry Maguire, the English professional footballer. Jarvis Branson Cocker, an English musician and radio presenter, is also from Sheffield—he was also the founder and frontman for the rock band Pulp. Dominic West, an English actor, director, and musician, also comes from Sheffield. He is most famous for his role as Jimmy McNulty in the TV show The Wire.

Pubs

The Railway https://railwaysheff.com accepts visiting supporters. It's located on Penniston Road and it isn't just a good place to drink, you can play retro arcade games and pool there too.

The Norfolk Arms https://www.norfolkarms.com

The Red Lion, 95 Penistone Road, Sheffield, S35 8QH

https://www.facebook.com/TheRedLion.SHF/?locale2=en_GB&paipv=0&eav=AfZECf7P5ND-1o233YirOf2oYwGwjjWzF67mq94nlZL-vkqrAGM_IkthwYO_coA9B_w&_rdr

New Barrack Tavern https://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk/pubs/new-barrack-tavern/

The Banker's Draft, 1-3 Market Place, Sheffield, S1 2GH (Spoons) https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/south-yorkshire/the-bankers-draft-sheffield

The Globe, 54 Howard Street, Sheffield, S1 2LX, https://www.craftunionpubs.com/globe-sheffield?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=homepage

The Howard, Howard Street, Sheffield, S1 2LW, https://www.howardsheffield.co.uk/?y_source=1_MTAxNTA3ODktNzE1LWxvY2F0aW9uLndlYnNpdGU= it’s near the train station

The Good Pub Guide suggests the following are worth a visit https://thegoodpubguide.co.uk/?s=&gpg=Sheffield&pub_category=2-worth-a-visit

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5
43 minutes ago, Super said:

Sadly for a few on here reckon we'll nick this by the odd goal.

I always want us to win games no matter what so I can speak for myself. Having said that I don't see us winning this game. I'm more confident in getting a results against Ipswich and WBA over the likes of Weds Cardiff and Swansea. 

Edited by StefanDimz
  • Like 1

Well, barring an extremely unlikely set of events I won’t be watching Saturday. The season is done and dusted and we’re not out of February so my motivation is minimal to fire up VPN airlines when Yate are at home and I could earn Husband points as two alternatives. 

I have no doubt that if it’s pissing it down I will change my mind and hand over my tenner, but it’s thoroughly depressing to feel this way and be in this position at this stage of the season, and it’s not even as if we can fall back on entertaining football as a reason to tune in.

Hopefully we win and I can watch the game on delay in that knowledge. But I’m not holding my breath.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Well, barring an extremely unlikely set of events I won’t be watching Saturday. The season is done and dusted and we’re not out of February so my motivation is minimal to fire up VPN airlines when Yate are at home and I could earn Husband points as two alternatives. 

I have no doubt that if it’s pissing it down I will change my mind and hand over my tenner, but it’s thoroughly depressing to feel this way and be in this position at this stage of the season, and it’s not even as if we can fall back on entertaining football as a reason to tune in.

Hopefully we win and I can watch the game on delay in that knowledge. But I’m not holding my breath.

So you say it’s extremely unlikely that you will watch and then you say you will probably watch if it’s raining. Seen the weather recently?!

3 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

So you say it’s extremely unlikely that you will watch and then you say you will probably watch if it’s raining. Seen the weather recently?!

If it’s pissing it down. Biblical, like. Spot of drizzle - lodge road. Mild shower - out with wife. Noah’s ark - sofa and robins tv and depression.

I was going to go, but last week and the £100 train fare put me off. 

Manning has had a full (ish) week to work on beating just this type of team, that should fill us full of confidence , and yet ...

I look forward to see Twine and Sykes , I think that could add some threat/penetration to the team . I expect TGH to add some energy to MF and I expect TC to be back in . 

I predict Conway to score twice, but no idea what the outcome will be. 

Anyway, back to the Cricket for now. 🏏

10 hours ago, Lewisdabaron said:

Getting earlier & earlier….

Cant we save these posts until matchday? Just like they used to be & should be….?

A bit earlier than usual as I’m away. When last asked about timing of the thread the majority of respondents on here requested a day or two before the game. As always can’t please everyone.

• Thanks 2
11 hours ago, Midred said:

And Robert Palmer.

Heaven 17 & ABC too.

Interested in tomorrow’s line up, if Twine & Sykes are both fit we suddenly have far more options & with Knight, James, Williams & TGH are decently stocked in centre mid too.

Tanner definitely deserves to return at RB & Pring hopefully is available too, though won’t be surprised if he’s a sub as he only appears to have started training again yesterday.

• Like 1

They are hoping for a sell out at Hillsborough; https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/328701-lets-get-bristol-city-sold-out/ 

Don't think Bristol have sold too many, they were allocated 1000 and hadn't sold them last night, 

Over 1000 now, so probably 1200 tops

and then a comment heard at sooo many clubs;  in absolutely gagging to go and watch my Wednesday but I refuse to go while they’re run like they are. 

Hope you have a good weekend in the old Steel City. 

Not sure what to expect as usual. After your win against West Ham I seemed to have got the impression you had some positive and forward momentum regarding the football you play and the manager but reading on here it seems more apathetic than I expected!

We are definitely a better team than what we look like mainly due to the manager but we aren't world beaters and I'm sure even if it decends into a scrap we will try and play a bit if we can. The manager is well liked but the owner is hated. It's just another season of us not being able to compete at this level due to Chansiri's ineptitude. 

Maybe this will be a classic game for all eternity though....

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Heaven 17 & ABC too.

Interested in tomorrow’s line up, if Twine & Sykes are both fit we suddenly have far more options & with Knight, James, Williams & TGH are decently stocked in centre mid too.

Tanner definitely deserves to return at RB & Pring hopefully is available too, though won’t be surprised if he’s a sub as he only appears to have started training again yesterday.

Most interesting part of the weekend lately , seeing who's fit and who starts .

My guess is ;
Twine starts , Manning praised Sykes finishing  so him too .
If that's right I think we may go back to Tanner, but in a 4 . 
Conway comes back in , normal rotation . 
Roberts has done nothing wrong and I think Pring may well be brought in from the bench. 

Where it gets difficult is MF. 

You'd think TGH would come back in , but I want to see Knight deeper and Williams and James have been good but one will probably drop out. 
To get the players in that I want to , would mean a change of shape which may be a step too far for LM.

If we go 4-2-3-1 then there will be some juggling with Knight and Twine . 
I wonder if it might be something like ....

Screenshot2024-02-23at13_14_30.png.4b22544b4978659737eab7eb9040b267.png

I've tried to 2nd guess LM Sykes was poor on the left, Knight IMO wouldn't be a natural that leaves Twine for LMF. 
This is the only way to fit in players, not the best way to go about things I guess, but it is a way. 

Another would be how I'd prefer. 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-1-2 , which we know he wont . 

• Robin 1
16 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Back in November at home Curtis Fleming, in his solitary game in charge, steered us to a 1-0 victory, Rob Dickie got the goal, they were down to ten men for an hour after Barry Bannan saw red, the Owls successfully appealed the decision, highlights: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/highlights/highlights-bristol-city-1-0-sheffield-wednesday/

LM presser: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/home-top-featured/manning-on-training-injuries-and-more/ and https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/manning-on-owls-test/

They boast one of the most unusual names in English football, thanks to their Wednesday. Quite simply, the name goes back to when it was originally a cricket club that used to play their games on that day of the week.

Manager Danny Röhl began coaching at RB Leipzig, later working at SouthamptonBayern Munich and as assistant manager of the German national team.

In October 2023, he was appointed manager becoming the youngest manager in the EFL. He said he was looking forward to the challenge of his first managerial position.

Dominic Lorfa maybe poised for his return he has been missing since December owing to a muscle injury.

In January the Owls completed the loan signing of goalkeeper James Beadle from Brighton and Hove Albion. The 19-year-old spent the first half of the season on loan with Oxford United, where the young shot-stopper became a key member of the U’s side.

They also signed Troyes striker Ike Ugbo on loan until the end of the season. The 25-year-old Canada international was recalled from his season-long loan with Cardiff in order to join the Owls.

They pretty much universally dislike owner Dejphon Chansiri who appears to be something of a basket-case, https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday-dejphon-chansiri-news-b2439892.html and https://youtu.be/aUmg16npkOA

Players who have played for them and us include Jack Hunt, Carl Shutt, Lee Peacock, Richard O'Donnell and Tyreeq Bakinson.

Our head-to-head record, isn’t good!

Won: 19

Lost: 30

Drawn: 16

They currently occupy 23rd place with 29 points. Ashley Fletcher will be missing having got a red card last weekend when they beat Millwall away 2-0 from two shots on target.

Officials

Referee: Thomas Kirk

Assistants: Matthew Jones and Robert Hyde

Fourth official: James Linington

Here’s a good insight from one of their fans:

Ignore our season form. The only form of relevance is from our home game against Leicester on 29th Nov. Until then we’d had:- 

10 games under Xisco Munoz (2 points!!!)

1 draw under caretaker

6 games under Röhl but players were a car-crash and unfit. 

Since Leicester

P15. W6. D2. L7. 

20 points from 15 games. Hardly brilliant but certainly not a relegation team form. It’s just the huge ‘points penalty’ we incurred by having a total imposter ruining moral and fitness for 10 games. 

Best players by far, Bannan and Johnson. Bannan doesn’t get the plaudits he deserves from SW fans. He’s light-years better than the rest but if he dips slightly below HIS best we criticise. He’ll be the best player in the park v you; he always is. 

Johnson is playing LB and he’s superb. 3 goals and 3 assists from full-back in 12 starts and 2 half games since he came back from the naughty step under Munoz (seeing the common link here?). Sweetest left foot, crosses are a joy, drives forward. Oh, and he’s defending well.

We’ve two lightning wide forwards, Gassama and Musaba. Pigeon catchers and skilful. Their end-product is very poor. Terrible decision making. Gassama is 19. He really has the tools to be something special. If he’s on it he could destroy you. But 1 goal and 2 assists in 1000 league minutes tells you it’s rare his end product is there.

Pitch is shocking.

Röhl has the support of 95% of us. We really want him to do well. Breath of fresh air. He has come under criticism for recently adopting a 2-man midfield. Leaves us porous. 

19 year old loan keeper. Jury out. Personally, I think he’ll be great, but right now slightly struggling with the transition from playing L1 for Oxford in front of 8000 and Champs for Owls in front of 26000, and the pressure of a relegation fight.

We try to play football. Bit heart in mouth, but generally works. 

Thanks to Holmowl.

Sheffield stuff

Sheffield has a national park: Almost one-third of the city sits inside Peak District national Park. This is a distinction not held by any other city in the UK. This area, also called the Peak District, was given national park status in 1951; in fact, this was the first such designated area in the country. Today, the national park also includes Derbyshire, Cheshire, Greater Manchester, Yorkshire, and Staffordshire.

Sheffield’s trees outnumber the resident humans: the city has more than two million trees, which means there are more trees than humans. This is more than trees per humans than any other city in Europe. Where are all these trees living? You’ll find many of them in and around the city’s 240 parks, woodlands, and gardens.

Sheffield as been inhabited for ages: the area has been inhabited by humans since about 9,000 BC!

Sheffield once had the longest rainbow: back in March 1994, Sheffield was home to a record-breaking rainbow that lasted for six hours.

You’ll find phlegm all over: OK, you’re probably shuddering at the thought of mucus all over the city. However, we don’t mean mucus. We’re referring to one of our local artists who is called Phlegm. His works are literally found all over the city in graffiti types of art; however, his pieces are found all over the world. Back in Sheffield, Phlegm also paints murals that tell stories and more.

Sheffield runs on recycled energy: the city uses a district energy system, which turns domestic waste into thermal energy, which is then used to produce electricity and hot water! It takes over 225,000 tons of garbage a year to produce 19 megawatts of electricity and 60 megawatts of thermal energy. The hot water produced by this system flows through 25 miles of underground pipes to points all around the city.

Steel for the Brooklyn Bridge was created in Sheffield: who would have thought that that Sheffield and the Brooklyn Bridge, which is situated in New York City in the US, would have anything in common! But it does make sense when you consider that the city was once home to great steel mills.

About half the surgical blades in the world are made in Sheffield: that’s amazing, especially when you consider the number of surgical blades in the world. However, as a steel city, it does make sense that Sheffield is home to the factories that produce these much-needed blades that work to save lives.

Sheffield has a walk of fame: just outside the city’s Town Hall, you’ll find several star-shaped plaques that are engraved with the names of famous people who come from Sheffield. And they’re quite famous. The names include Jessica Ennis, Sebastian Coe, Sean Bean the actor, and more.

The Crucible Theatre: the theatre, for about 40 years, has been home to the World Snooker Championship.

Sheffield was the last gig for Tina Turner: for her 50th anniversary tour, the famous American singer had her last show at the FlyDSA Arena on May 5, 2009. This was her last live concert, after which she went into retirement.

Sir Arthur Conana Doyle lived in Sheffield: the creator of Sherlock Holmes was once a resident of Sheffield. In fact, he was a medic when he came to the city in 1878. He worked as an assistant to Dr. Charles Sydney Richard on Spital Hill, Burngreave.

Sheffield is the fourth largest city in England and the greenest city in the UK: While the city was once an industrial centre, today, the city features large numbers of trees and parks in the country. The city also features urban forests, earning the city the name “Tree City of the World.”

Famous people from Sheffield: the city has also been home to some pretty famous people, including Harry Maguire, the English professional footballer. Jarvis Branson Cocker, an English musician and radio presenter, is also from Sheffield—he was also the founder and frontman for the rock band Pulp. Dominic West, an English actor, director, and musician, also comes from Sheffield. He is most famous for his role as Jimmy McNulty in the TV show The Wire.

Pubs

The Railway https://railwaysheff.com accepts visiting supporters. It's located on Penniston Road and it isn't just a good place to drink, you can play retro arcade games and pool there too.

The Norfolk Arms https://www.norfolkarms.com

The Red Lion, 95 Penistone Road, Sheffield, S35 8QH

https://www.facebook.com/TheRedLion.SHF/?locale2=en_GB&paipv=0&eav=AfZECf7P5ND-1o233YirOf2oYwGwjjWzF67mq94nlZL-vkqrAGM_IkthwYO_coA9B_w&_rdr

New Barrack Tavern https://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk/pubs/new-barrack-tavern/

The Banker's Draft, 1-3 Market Place, Sheffield, S1 2GH (Spoons) https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/south-yorkshire/the-bankers-draft-sheffield

The Globe, 54 Howard Street, Sheffield, S1 2LX, https://www.craftunionpubs.com/globe-sheffield?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=homepage

The Howard, Howard Street, Sheffield, S1 2LW, https://www.howardsheffield.co.uk/?y_source=1_MTAxNTA3ODktNzE1LWxvY2F0aW9uLndlYnNpdGU= it’s near the train station

The Good Pub Guide suggests the following are worth a visit https://thegoodpubguide.co.uk/?s=&gpg=Sheffield&pub_category=2-worth-a-visit

Condensed Version

Sheffield Wednesday:

1 all draw

COYR

• Like 2
4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Anyway, back to the Cricket for now. 🏏

A glutton for punishment.

I think in this game the head says it's going to be more like QPR than Southampton. Looking at stats Sheff Wednesday are in the top 3 for number of fouls, yellows, and reds. That doesn't suggest a beautiful game that's easy on the eye. Most of the tackles that lead to these errors are happening in their third. 

They sit deep, and they hit hard.

• Like 1