IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday away match thread

15 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

That's why Man U stopped wearing black at away games some seasons ago. it was because they said it was difficult for the players to see each other clearly.

They had that with grey kit.

They wore grey at Southampton and were getting battered in the first half and IIRC they came out in different kit for the second half. Post match Fergie said that players Found it difficult to pick out teammates because of the colour.

A shame really that we lost last week as I noticed the fixtures.

Hull v WBA, Coventry v Preston

Next week, Preston v Hull, WBA v Coventry.

Norwich v Sunderland even, not sure who either have today mind you.

Had we won last week we could have built a bit of momentum and seen where it took us. May also have put added pressure on Hull at Southampton and maybe even West Brom at Plymouth.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
1 hour ago, downendcity said:

They had that with grey kit.

They wore grey at Southampton and were getting battered in the first half and IIRC they came out in different kit for the second half. Post match Fergie said that players Found it difficult to pick out teammates because of the colour.

Wonder what he would have said if the other team had done this?

15 hours ago, Red from afar said:

A bit of an exaggeration. It's a small corner of the city this happens in and most people in Sheffield are totally unaware it happens there.

It happens here everywhere, it's called district heating and the bills for heating are based on the sq metres of the apartment, the hot water is metered.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A shame really that we lost last week as I noticed the fixtures.

Hull v WBA, Coventry v Preston

Next week, Preston v Hull, WBA v Coventry.

Norwich v Sunderland even, not sure who either have today mind you.

Had we won last week we could have built a bit of momentum and seen where it took us. May also have put added pressure on Hull at Southampton and maybe even West Brom at Plymouth.

And yet as it stands right now at HT in the Hull v WBA game we'd still be 5 off 6th place even if we'd won last week, and win today, ie even if we'd put together a 4 game winning run, 12 from 12.

Norwich are away to Blackburn and Sunderland at home to Millwall. One of them will win, quite possibly both will win today.

This is why it was wrong to talk of the play offs even after Southampton. At this stage it's not in our hands and is so unlikely that we make up those points.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
Just now, ExiledAjax said:

And yet as it stands right now at HT in the Hull v WBA game we'd still be 5 off 6th place even if we'd won last week, and win today, ie even if we'd put together a 4 game winning run, 12 from 12.

Norwich are away to Blackburn and Sunderland at home to Millwall. One of them will win, quite possibly both will win today.

This is why it was wrong to talk of the play offs even after Southampton. At this stage it's not in our hands and is so unlikely that we make up those points.

I get it and I like the stats and analysis but gaps can close, leads can crumble.

Football has that glorious element of unpredictably still...the more sides in the hunt, the more pressure. Which can put doubts in the mind for the side(s) seemingly in the box seat.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Not what we were told though is it? Competing top end THIS SEASON!

Apparently we are not allowed to hold them to account for this because we knew they were talking bs and telling lies.

The fact we're supposed to over look the fact they lied to us is bizarre in itself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Red from afar said:

Not that I'm aware of, but ABC and Reverend and the Makers are. A bit of trivia, the guy on the Arctic Monkeys first studio album cover is the brother of Reverend and the Makers lead singer. 

Human League too IIRC..

1 hour ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

For any City in Lanzarote ATM, Justin will be showing the game live at the Owl and Pussycat in PDC this afternoon. Take a phrasebook as it'll be full of Northerners, mind!

Good that, although I think The Dolphin Inn in Costa Teguise is the best football bar in Lanzarote, guy who runs it is superb! 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Red from afar said:

Not that I'm aware of, but ABC and Reverend and the Makers are. A bit of trivia, the guy on the Arctic Monkeys first studio album cover is the brother of Reverend and the Makers lead singer. 

Slash is originally from Stoke

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I get it and I like the stats and analysis but gaps can close, leads can crumble.

Football has that glorious element of unpredictably still...the more sides in the hunt, the more pressure. Which can put doubts in the mind for the side(s) seemingly in the box seat.

I understand the pleasure of dreaming.

I think it's an interesting demonstration of the maths of a league table though. It shows that when asking the question "can we close this gap" it's just as, if not more, important to consider the number of teams between you and the spot you want to be in, rather than just how many points away you are.

That we could have gone on a 4 game winning run and barely closed the gap at all. It's a useful reminder of the harshness of the system.

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think it's an interesting demonstration of the maths of a league table though. It shows that when asking the question "can we close this gap" it's just as, if not more, important to consider the number of teams between you and the spot you want to be in, rather than just how many points away you are.

That we could have gone on a 4 game winning run and barely closed the gap at all. It's a useful reminder of the harshness of the system.

Otoh Leeds have cut the gap by 11 points on Leicester in a mere 9 games.

It could yet be a 4 way scrap for 2 places..was this deemed plausible on December 31st?

Let alone mid December when the top 2 were not just well ahead but setting records.

I should caveat my original post with it needs 5 wins,6 in a row to enter the picture..maybe 5 and a draw. The QPR loss broke that.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

We’ve dropped 13pts so far this season against bottom 6 sides… no point in worrying too much about getting in the top 6.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Otoh Leeds have cut the gap by 11 points on Leicester in a mere 9 games.

It could yet be a 4 way scrap for 2 places..was this deemed plausible on December 31st?

Let alone mid December when the top 2 were not just well ahead but setting records.

I should caveat my original post with it needs 5 wins,6 in a row to enter the picture..maybe 5 and a draw. The QPR loss broke that.

Just demonstrates my point though. Leeds are chasing one team. We're chasing about 7. Much easier to hunt one target down than cope with 7 others all collecting points.

Anyway, team news is out so let's make way for the no doubt incredibly positive and optimistic discussions of 5 changes and Twine's absence.

Edited by ExiledAjax