IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday away match thread

Not encouraging. We haven’t won away at Wednesday since the end of 2012 when we came from behind to win 3-2. We have won just two of our last nine trips to Sheffield Wednesday.

However, I’m in Rotterdam at the moment where they have put up this little symbol of hope.

IMG_4481.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 7
3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Am I right in thinking Sheffield Wednesday haven't yet had a penalty this year?

Nailed on tomorrow..

I once lived in Sheffield and I don't recall ever seeing a tree...

Given the wild range of results we've had recently, I think we're now due either a boring goal-less draw or a 3-3 wide open goalfest. 

No other results are possible according to my analysis. 

• Haha 3
6 hours ago, JP Hampton said:

Sheffield runs on recycled energy: the city uses a district energy system, which turns domestic waste into thermal energy, which is then used to produce electricity and hot water! It takes over 225,000 tons of garbage a year to produce 19 megawatts of electricity and 60 megawatts of thermal energy. The hot water produced by this system flows through 25 miles of underground pipes to points all around the city.

Not exactly football related but if they can why aren’t we?

A bit of an exaggeration. It's a small corner of the city this happens in and most people in Sheffield are totally unaware it happens there.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, JP Hampton said:

Sheffield runs on recycled energy: the city uses a district energy system, which turns domestic waste into thermal energy, which is then used to produce electricity and hot water! It takes over 225,000 tons of garbage a year to produce 19 megawatts of electricity and 60 megawatts of thermal energy. The hot water produced by this system flows through 25 miles of underground pipes to points all around the city.

Not exactly football related but if they can why aren’t we?

3 hours ago, Red from afar said:

A bit of an exaggeration. It's a small corner of the city this happens in and most people in Sheffield are totally unaware it happens there.

Yep, news to me that!

Safe trip up for all those travelling in the morning.

In all honesty this is a game on our list of must wins if we're going to have a chance of staying up. Several times already this season we've looked dead and buried, even as recently as the disastrous 4-0 defeat to Huddersfield a couple of weeks ago, but then we get a decent win, results go our way and suddenly we all start believing again.

Personally I'm still not quite convinced as we've got to catch 2 sides above us, and almost all of them (QPR aside) are unexpectedly under performing this season, and I feel are probably more likely to put a string of results together than we are. Not even sure what to think about the managerial changes effecting it though, as the entire bottom 10 have changed manager this season.

Very difficult to predict both of us really, was really impressed you ended Southampton's run the other week, but you didn't do us any favours against QPR. Typical of a mid-table side I suppose. 

Going to be an optimist for once and say 1-0 Wednesday. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Red Army 79 said:

Looking at the form guide from both of our last six games we have taken the same amount of points. 

We are going to need to be at our best to win this one. 

It's a sad state of affairs when we're saying we have to be at our best to beat a newly promoted team thats in a relegation battle. 

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

If we play anything like we did against QPR then we're not going to come away with anything. That being said, as others have mentioned, Wednesday will need to go for it today, which will hopefully play into our style of play. 1-2 city

You're right we need the points so we won't sit back.

Conway looks some player for you, hopefully Bernard keeps him quiet, if Poveda or Musaba are on form we have half a chance.

Mental to realise its nigh on 20 years since you had 4.5k up here in League One.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1
20 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Will be my first visit to Hillsborough this weekend. For games in Yorkshire, I usually go up the day/night before & stay with a City exile who now lives in Leeds & would come along.

Unfortunately he's busy this weekend & so I'm doing the coach travel!

Having this song in my head while travelling up...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, P'head Red said:

If we play anything like we did against QPR then we're not going to come away with anything. That being said, as others have mentioned, Wednesday will need to go for it today, which will hopefully play into our style of play. 1-2 city

Agree with this, also thinking the game might suit us more. Mind you, if Weds have watched our game v QPR, they might opt to play exactly like they did!

• Like 1

I think lessons will be learned from QPR and we will up our game today.

Away from home might suit us - if Wednesday have a go, which they need to, we have the ability to punish them and win well.

If we're dragged into another scrappy game, it's coming down to that one moment where someone on either team takes a chance for 1-0 either way.

As others have said, would be good to see us control more of the game today too.

Edited by Alessandro
28 minutes ago, Offside said:

Today surely has to be a better performance from City than in the QPR game, where we got so many basics wrong. 

Well, that is what everybody felt after our awful performance at Birmingham, having just beaten Watford 1-4. We then played even worse to lose at home to Millwall!  So nothing to suggest Manning learns quickly!

18 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Well, that is what everybody felt after our awful performance at Birmingham, having just beaten Watford 1-4. We then played even worse to lose at home to Millwall!  So nothing to suggest Manning learns quickly!

I thought that was more so so, point at Birmingham we don't often get that. Had Pring followed in quick and hard on one of the Mehmeti chances perhaps we score and win.

Millwall at home was dreadful however.