IGNORED

Cardiff home

weepywall

8 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

When we still had terraced ends to fill. Sure we took more  every where. No one seemed so bothered by the exact number then. Pod made it easier.

I remember when PotD and Seats collided for the first time.
First game of the season I think it was, away to Wolves , who had a new stand open and we were in the seats on the side. They sold tickets ( which we had)  but it was also PotD . Not sure what they expected but over 4,000 of us turned up and some ticket holders turned away . 

Just thinking , Cardiff was probably my 2nd home game . August 1970 we won 1-0 , for some reason we went on the Open End. 

Suffice to say I think they were breaking records for arrests, around 100  I think , and it was much harder to get arrested back then . 

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

For me I care as much about losing to Cardiff as I would Sheffield Wednesday. There was a lot of violence between the two sets of fans years ago, but I just think we're trying to force a 'derby' by coining it with Severnside. 

It’s England and Wales. Two big Cities side by side.

I enjoy them, they’re very good games to have I think. Especially as the blue few are effin useless in this City.

Edited by Lew-T
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

It’s England and Wales. Two big Cities side by side.

I enjoy them, they’re very good games to have I think. Especially as the blue few are effin useless in this City.

I just find it a real struggle to see it as a derby from my pov. Something changed about Cardiff when they left Ninian Park and changed their badge and kit to red.

Bristol City vs Cardiff in the 2000s was light years ahead of what it is now.

• Like 2

Just now, 2015 said:

I just find it a real struggle to see it as a derby from my pov. Something changed about Cardiff when they left Ninian Park and changed their badge and kit to red.

Bristol City vs Cardiff in the 2000s was light years ahead of what it is now.

I would say that for a game to be considered a proper derby you need to have a crossover of fans who live in the same area, work together etc. As England and Wales are pretty separate I don't think it was ever really the case here, if you lived/worked in Cardiff then it would probably have a derby feel but that's going to be a minority of fans. Severnside derby is a label I don't really go along with although can see why the club or someone like sky like to use it to hype it up, the game is still a good rivalry compared to what we have in the rest of the division and hoping there is another good atmosphere on Sat like the game last season.

9 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

I would say that for a game to be considered a proper derby you need to have a crossover of fans who live in the same area, work together etc. As England and Wales are pretty separate I don't think it was ever really the case here, if you lived/worked in Cardiff then it would probably have a derby feel but that's going to be a minority of fans. Severnside derby is a label I don't really go along with although can see why the club or someone like sky like to use it to hype it up, the game is still a good rivalry compared to what we have in the rest of the division and hoping there is another good atmosphere on Sat like the game last season.

This is exactly why I don't consider it much to be a derby. I do not know a single Cardiff fan but know of tonnes of Rovers or Swindon where i'm from and they all are bitter towards us.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just thinking , Cardiff was probably my 2nd home game . August 1970 we won 1-0 , for some reason we went on the Open End. 

Suffice to say I think they were breaking records for arrests, around 100  I think , and it was much harder to get arrested back then . 

Gerry Sharpe, last minute ?

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

I see you are in Teignmouth and our train stops there on Saturday which is the one that gets in to BTM at about 10:15. You are welcome to a can of Natch if you are on the same train.

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I’ve now got to pop into work first thing so will be on the next train or drive.

Fingers crossed we have a good day. COYR

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baba Yaga said:

Having lived in Cardiff it's a big one for me.

Got a mate coming over from Pontcanna for this one - converting him from a neutral to a City fan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

Growing up in a time there were very few Clubs and Pubs shut at 10-pm.  When I started going in Town for a night out coaches of Welsh would come over and the fights were a regular thing. It's about the same distance as Swindon and the nearest Championship Club. Add the England V Wales thing then it does have a lot of things that make it a Derby. Bloody hell Plymouth was always fed to us as a derby match when they are abut the same distance as Brum . 

I get those that don't think it's a real one, but it's as close as we've had for getting on for 25 years. 
TBH I prefer this to the one we used to have , bad enough seeing what they think without the games .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 2015 said:

This is exactly why I don't consider it much to be a derby. I do not know a single Cardiff fan but know of tonnes of Rovers or Swindon where i'm from and they all are bitter towards us.

Quite a few Cardiff fans at my company and a lesser number of Swansea fans. Come to Bristol to work but live in either Newport or Cardiff as its cheaper. 

8 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Quite a few Cardiff fans at my company and a lesser number of Swansea fans. Come to Bristol to work but live in either Newport or Cardiff as its cheaper. 

I worked with at least 1 Cardiff fan also at an old company. Not sure about the others..Not that many City or Rovers fans either though, certainly not as their primary side.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous