IGNORED

Ayman Benarous

Malago

4 hours ago, Gratz260689 said:

Doubt it, we’re paying his wages, I guess it’s all down to weather we seem to think he’s fit or not which he clearly ain’t at the moment!! 

We’re ‘borrowing’ him for a set period of time. Burnley will have involvement with his injury and rehabilitation, as we will with any player we have out on loan. There will be a requirement of some sort for us to keep them involved.

• Like 2

I hope when he is fit he's given time and not expected to be Scott Mk2. Apart from being different players he will probably take time to get up to full speed. While he did show some promise , and there was kicking the guys boot away , I hope the expectation isn't too high. He's had 11 games,  7 starts ,and completed only 2 90s .

Looking forward to seeing him back and I hope it's long term this time , kid deserves it. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Arrghh, what a nightmare, whatever we are doing, its ruining him.

Really easy to say mindless stuff this.

He has played 45 minutes twice for the 21s now with a lengthy gap between games.

What exactly we are supposed to do when 2 ACLs has meant that after all this time he appears unable to play more than half a game without doing his hamstring, I have no idea. Do you?

Terrible for him but sometimes it makes absolutely no difference what plan you have if a player has an injury he cannot overcome.

• Like 10

Probably somewhere on this forum, somebody has a list of player contract expiry dates. When does his current deal expire? 

Hard to make a judgment on a player who has such severe injuries and never plays. 

As @SecretSamsays above. The damage down the line could be a lot worse. Cheesley was before by time but for the younger group, he retired at 23 due to a severe injury. I know technology, medical care, rehab etc has advanced a lot, but sometimes the body just doesn't / can't work. Ayman is not far off that age. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ayman’s contract runs until summer 2025.

So it that ACL x2 and hamstring x2 now? If so, he'll have his work cut out to build the robustness needed for Championship football.

I guess he at least can repair, recover and then do a full summer programme with a PT to configure his body for the best possible chance of getting through a tough pre-season.

Then one year to prove himself.

Let's face it, Ayman will most likely have to start again a lower level, which is a real shame.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

So it that ACL x2 and hamstring x2 now? If so, he'll have his work cut out to build the robustness needed for Championship football.

I guess he at least can repair, recover and then do a full summer programme with a PT to configure his body for the best possible chance of getting through a tough pre-season.

Then one year to prove himself.

Let's face it, Ayman will most likely have to start again a lower level, which is a real shame.

Think it’s 3 hamstrings now, not that it matters.

My only hope is that it is indeed a full pre-season that’s needed to “cure” him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Really easy to say mindless stuff this.

He has played 45 minutes twice for the 21s now with a lengthy gap between games.

What exactly we are supposed to do when 2 ACLs has meant that after all this time he appears unable to play more than half a game without doing his hamstring, I have no idea. Do you?

Terrible for him but sometimes it makes absolutely no difference what plan you have if a player has an injury he cannot overcome.

Manning just came out and said they were looking to carry out an investigation into it didnt he? For the whole club, not just for one player, he’s obviously mindless too compared to your all encompassing knowledge of everything.

As someone who has suffered 3 ACL/PCL (2 in right 1 in left and a re-rupture in the final stages of recovery as he did) which forced me to call it a day at an academy at 20, I can tell you this, its a unfortunate domino effect and we can say or blame the medical department but drawing from own experiences with it, if or when complications and setbacks happen they will just happen; the trauma to that part of the body makes it unpredictable and will never recover.

Depending on how he had his repairs (There is various methods depending on the individuals needs). He will continue to suffer hamstring injuries as they are the most common and potentially further knee complications (tendonitis will be one) and will have to manage that along with his playing time for the rest of his playing career additionally that will also be impacted by how significant the potential acceleration of knee osteoarthritis could be in his situation.

He will suffer a shift in performance in areas of his game which is to no fault of his own. I would have realistic expectations of him never being the "same" player. 

Edited by CityFarAndWide
  • Like 17

6 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Manning just came out and said they were looking to carry out an investigation into it didnt he? For the whole club, not just for one player, he’s obviously mindless too compared to your all encompassing knowledge of everything.

You implied above that the club were doing something wrong in his case.

Ayman’s ACLs both occurred during the Rennie era, a bloke whose medical experience stands up to scrutiny compared to anyone in the game.

Since he left the club has understandably been incredibly cautious with Ayman, as I said he’s played half of 2 games but cannot stay fit.

Really interested in what you think we should have done differently in his case.

The review is understandable in light of Atkinson & to an extent Naismith, I don’t see the connection with Ayman at all.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

This is overdue, too many players going down injured, most of not from matches.

• Hmmm 1

Unfortunately, some players have promising careers shattered because they are prone to injury. Christian Ribeiro springs to mind. Great player but constantly suffered long term injuries which is why we had to let him go.

Went on to play for Scunthorpe and Exeter but his time at those clubs was also stifled through picking up injuries keeping him out for long periods until he retired early due to a knee injury.

Sadly, I think Ayman's career will follow a similar trajectory, poor lad. As CityFarAndWide says above, he won't be the same player having himself had to call it a day very early due to this domino effect. 

• Robin 1

To add some balance , apparently hamstring problems after ACL surgery is fairly common. Hamstring pain is common and I read part of a report that said ...

Persistent hamstring contracture ( shortening or hardening of muscles) after ACLR is associated with an increased risk of subsequent Cyclops syndrome.

Cyclops syndrome is caused by a scar tissue nodule adjacent to the tibial tunnel of the anterior cruciate ligament graft after surgery. These lesions result in pain and loss of extension with impingement of the lesion.

There is also no difference from a study, between age, gender , time of injury or proportion of professional athletes .

No good news in there, but at least it's necessarily not down to being injury prone or bad post op care. 

@spudski I also read that if they did use part of the Hamstring, it can grow back shorter, which you would think could cause problems stretching or twisting.

• Like 1

Just now, 1960maaan said:

To add some balance , apparently hamstring problems after ACL surgery is fairly common. Hamstring pain is common and I read part of a report that said ...

Persistent hamstring contracture ( shortening or hardening of muscles) after ACLR is associated with an increased risk of subsequent Cyclops syndrome.

Cyclops syndrome is caused by a scar tissue nodule adjacent to the tibial tunnel of the anterior cruciate ligament graft after surgery. These lesions result in pain and loss of extension with impingement of the lesion.

There is also no difference from a study, between age, gender , time of injury or proportion of professional athletes .

No good news in there, but at least it's necessarily not down to being injury prone or bad post op care. 

@spudski I also read that if they did use part of the Hamstring, it can grow back shorter, which you would think could cause problems stretching or twisting.

I've heard the same. I also know people who've had the operation and had hamstring issues afterwards. Cycling makes it worse apparently.

53 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Can’t remember who initially said there was going to be a review (BT, JL, etc???) but when quizzed on it LM basically said Del Bonsu was asking around a few of his mates in the game.

Not really a review is it?

49 minutes ago, CityFarAndWide said:

As someone who has suffered 3 ACL/PCL (2 in right 1 in left and a re-rupture in the final stages of recovery as he did) which forced me to call it a day at an academy at 20, I can tell you this, its a unfortunate domino effect and we can say or blame the medical department but drawing from own experiences with it, if or when complications and setbacks happen they will just happen; the trauma to that part of the body makes it unpredictable and will never recover.

Depending on how he had his repairs (There is various methods depending on the individuals needs). He will continue to suffer hamstring injuries as they are the most common and potentially further knee complications (tendonitis will be one) and will have to manage that along with his playing time for the rest of his playing career additionally that will also be impacted by how significant the potential acceleration of knee osteoarthritis could be in his situation.

He will suffer a shift in performance in areas of his game which is to no fault of his own. I would have realistic expectations of him never being the "same" player. 

I feel your pain.

Did mine back in the day when they tended to use patella tendon graft instead, but I wasn’t a pro.  But most of the guys I know who did their ACL and used a hamstring graft had hamstring issues afterwards.  I had a load of cartilage removed at the same time and they said the biggest issue was getting the tension right to support a slightly different set up of the knee.  I had numerous set backs, fluid, my opposite knee overcompensating.  I reckon I played about 3 games after coming back where I played without anything “in my head” let alone a bit if pain.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Bloody hell, I'm not sure he'll be able to spot a pass when he's got Cyclops Syndrome... 

Realy feel for the lad. Hope with the summer break he will reach a leval of fitness so we can send him out on loan to a national league or div 2 team for six months. If he gets throuhgh that ok. Get  him bak, play him and then deside about a new contact or not.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I've heard the same. I also know people who've had the operation and had hamstring issues afterwards. Cycling makes it worse apparently.

Not that I was ever fast enough to pull my hamstring & it is common practice to use those fibres. When I had mine done they used some of the patella tendon which is in the kneecap . This was 20 years ago though . Do worry about the lads future in the game now. 

• Like 1