IGNORED

Does Nige read OTIB?

JP Hampton

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

10 defeats in 13 or something wasn't it when Holden left? 6 defeats in a row? 

But we were still mid-table when he was sacked 13th, though the omens weren't good. It's pure speculation to say we would have gone down if we had not appointed NP though. 

8 minutes ago, pillred said:

But we were still mid-table when he was sacked 13th, though the omens weren't good. It's pure speculation to say we would have gone down if we had not appointed NP though. 

It's my opinion that we were going down, hence the sacking. 

Nige came in and got us enough results for us to stay up. Maybe someone else could have got us enough points too, who knows but that sort of view just seems to be done to down play the job Nige did. 

But ultimately it was Nige that kept us up and I find it quite bizarre how people refuse to give him credit for keeping us up. 

I didn't like LJ, im quite happy to give him credit tho for keeping us up and then progressing us. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We see some bonkers, random, irrelevant threads on here, this was just a simple one enquiring on a former manager, who left us at a point he not well.  I’ve seen plenty worse threads.

Absolutely but it was pretty obvious what it was going to turn into.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

I said the performances were comedic.

I really didn't find losing or the performances comedic but that's just a personal view. 

50 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Liam Manning better start getting things together I’d guess then ?

Yes, I agree. But the decision on his future (in the absence of sustained progress) is not mine or yours to make and I don't take dismissals personally- you should try it!

48 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

I will though be honest when we play shit.

I suspect that for you- it depends who's in charge

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yes, I agree. But the decision on his future (in the absence of sustained progress) is not mine or yours to make and I don't take dismissals personally- you should try it!

Personally

What are you actually on about ?

For me it’s an opinion, and clear opinion,  quite simple ,about the job someone did for my Club , something that you always strongly claim is what you are all about ..... 

The fact that affected me personally because I really enjoyed what I was seeing , 

( in terms of health and revamp of the Club,  for what I regarded as a crucial period ) maybe makes it personal

If so I’m quite happy with that 

You wanted him binned after 9 months

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I really didn't find losing or the performances comedic but that's just a personal view. 

I suspect that for you- it depends who's in charge

So... Still no comments about the last 2 performances?

Really not surprising.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

A simple thing for Manning & Co to solve.

Deliver positive, productive, entertaining football culminating in victories, and everyone will forget why Pearson was unceremoniously got rid of.

Sadly there are many that never will

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I remember Kalas’s interview too.  What did he call it - creeping death or something like that.

The irony of this thread is that we all have our opinions, we all have our biases, but some don’t like to look in the mirror.  I bloody loved Nige, thought he was doing a good job, but brilliant, but importantly I could see the direction of travel.  That might cloud my thoughts on something / someone different, it’s why I’m taking the approach I am with Manning, trying not to let bias creep in.

For me, it's always about the muppets in charge.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's my opinion that we were going down, hence the sacking. 

Nige came in and got us enough results for us to stay up. Maybe someone else could have got us enough points too, who knows but that sort of view just seems to be done to down play the job Nige did. 

But ultimately it was Nige that kept us up and I find it quite bizarre how people refuse to give him credit for keeping us up. 

I didn't like LJ, im quite happy to give him credit tho for keeping us up and then progressing us. 

With respect, when Holden was sacked we had 39 points from 30 games and were closer to the play offs than the relegation zone.  After he was sacked, we took 12 points from our remaining 16 games (W3 D3 L10), including 0 wins, 3 draws and 7 defeats in our last ten games.

I’m not saying there shouldn’t have been a change of manager, Holden was after all on a poor run of six defeats in all competitions, but the notion that Pearson saved us from relegation is far-fetched in the extreme.  Only 44 points were needed to avoid relegation that season and we already had 39 when Holden was sacked so we actually only needed 5 more points to be safe.   What happened was that our position deteriorated considerably after Holden was sacked, but thankfully not enough to see us relegated.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Actually what was comedy gold was our performances against QPR and Sheffield Wednesday.

Funny how you made no comment about those games.

We all hope things improve (we are all city fans after all), but things need to improve very quickly or the crowd will turn.

Big day Saturday me thinks

@phantom please tell me what you find so funny in this post?

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

With respect, when Holden was sacked we had 39 points from 30 games and were closer to the play offs than the relegation zone.  After he was sacked, we took 12 points from our remaining 16 games (W3 D3 L10), including 0 wins, 3 draws and 7 defeats in our last ten games.

I’m not saying there shouldn’t have been a change of manager, Holden was after all on a poor run of six defeats in all competitions, but the notion that Pearson saved us from relegation is far-fetched in the extreme.  Only 44 points were needed to avoid relegation that season and we already had 39 when Holden was sacked so we actually only needed 5 more points to be safe.   What happened was that our position deteriorated considerably after Holden was sacked, but thankfully not enough to see us relegated.  

So without those 3 wins, we'd have been relegated. 

So therefore as Pearson won us those 3 games, he saved us from relegation. 

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Sadly? I don't think we, as fans, should forget the way the sacking was handled. Unless you're happy being lied to of course.

Of course not, but we have been here before and sadly will no doubt be there again in the future

It's months now since Pearson was wrongly (in my opinion) got rid of, but I don't understand why people can't move on?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

So without those 3 wins, we'd have been relegated. 

So therefore as Pearson won us those 3 games, he saved us from relegation. 

I think , with the wrong appointment , the season after was the more dangerous one Gull with the alarm bells

There was some immediate need for some stabilising but it was deeper than that looking forward

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Most of the very pro Nige stuff would not have happened if some stupid posters hadn't tried to be sarcastic and made it into an anti Pearson thread.

Sorry if some people worry about a past employees health....

@italian dave. I posted this earlier in the thread but it didn't stop people changing the rational for the thread in the first place did it?

2 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

@italian dave. I posted this earlier in the thread but it didn't stop people changing the rational for the thread in the first place did it?

It just happened that your post was the one that I picked on to respond to. It wasn’t personal, and apologies if it came across that way.

But I would still suggest that you - and others - have a choice about continuing the tone and direction of the thread. You could have said something about whether we’ve heard from NP, or about his health, and not about the past two games.

Its not like there aren’t a couple of dozen threads already that have been started explicitly to talk about the last two games 😂😂

12 hours ago, Leabrook said:

If you think I work for BS you are very wrong. Anti Tinnion, anti Jon Lansdown.  Willing to give Manning time.  Hardly screams BS employee does it! 

If not BS then an attention seeker.

Well done.

Thread would probably have fizzled out without your witty intervention.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Hull had been relegated from a better position than we were in at the time Holden got sacked.

We were absolutely heading in one direction, which fortunately was stalled for a while with the wins at Boro and Swansea. Two matches we would’ve got zero from the way things were going with Holden.

Pearsons real achievement was keeping us in the Championship the following season when you consider the finances. The fact we never really looked in danger either is remarkable. 

With Pearson in charge we may not have quite had enough to finish in the top 6 but I also wasn’t worried about relegation. Next season could be interesting, let’s hope it’s for the right reasons eh? Not sure I’m too confident at the moment.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 12

4 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Hull had been relegated from a better position than we were in at the time Holden got sacked.

We were absolutely heading in one direction, which fortunately was stalled for a while with the wins at Boro and Swansea. Two matches we would’ve got zero from the way things were going with Holden.

Pearsons real achievement was keeping us in the Championship the following season when you consider the finances. The fact we never really looked in danger either is remarkable. 

With Pearson in charge we may not have quite had enough to finish in the top 6 but I also wasn’t worried about relegation. Next season could be interesting, let’s hope it’s for the right reasons eh? Not sure I’m too confident at the moment.

🔥🔥🔥 BOOM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Absolutely but it was pretty obvious what it was going to turn into.

It is a discussion forum though Super.  It’s a sad day when someone can ask a valid question about the health of a very recent and popular manager, only to get piled on by the usual suspects of the NP out gang?

I can respect, though not understand their massive dislike of the bloke.  That said, if they dislike him so much, why not ignore the thread and leave it for those who respect him.

I suppose this is just a symptom of the world now.  You can’t just not like something, but you have to browbeat every ****** that has a different viewpoint than you and if you can’t beat them into submission, you try to get them cancelled.

I think some people need to remind themselves what adult, respectful  behaviour looks like!

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I see similarities between what Sean O'Driscoll was asked to do, and what Nigel Pearson was asked. Both were asked to save us from the downward slope, and at the same time go through a cost cutting exercise as the coffers were bare.

At no time during the season NP took over (or the following season) we're we ever really close to relegation. In hindsight he kept us comfortably above relegation working with the players he had at his disposal.

All the while, he was trimming the fat, and slowly and gradually improving us. We went from a long ball\target man style of football by playing the ball up to Chris Martin to slowly transforming into a counter attacking side.

Before he left us, I was starting to see the shoots of him trying to turn us more into a possession based side, but he was aware that we didn't have those players available at the time, hence why he was so disappointed to lose Alex Scott and not have a replacement come in. Even NP back in the day said things weren't progressing as quickly as he would've liked - but he was aware of the trajectory the team was on. In fact no, not just the team, but the club as a whole.

In comparison, we went down with a whimper under Sean O'Driscoll (and previously the same with Derrick McInnes) - so I cannot understate how good a job NP did for us.

I'm happy to give Manning his chance, and he started off alright-ish. I could see a pattern of play, and how everyone knew what their jobs were coming out of defence, being patient by recycling play when options weren't on, when to press, and when to go long with that killer ball. However, the last two games, we've lost our way - tbh, I thought the first half of QPR was ok - by the second half, and the substitutes he brought on didn't change our approach at all, it was more of the same but with lesser players.

I agree to extent what a few people have been saying. We lack that plan B under Manning, it's just a case of "we'll play my way, and my way only", and he just makes like for like changes. The only time I've seen a change from that approach was a few weeks ago, when he reverted to two back up top midway through a game, was it Coventry away?? Sam Bell being injured is gonna impact us massively, as he's the only one with lightening pace (Mebude aside) who can really scare the opposition.

I think someone mentioned on another thread. We've had our best results when we've played 4 at the back, and so LM needs to get back to that, and to play fit players - without the stating the obvious too much !!

• Like 6
  • Flames 4

Thanks….not.  I just typed a long reply to @The Dolman Pragmatist and the thread gets closed whilst it gets cleaned, so I lose my post.

The essence of it was that you look to much at results and league tables, and ignore the context of the situation.

When we beat Brum 3-0 in game 36 of that season we were 13 points off of 6th and 13 points off of 22nd.  Nige basically started the rebuild.  He started working out who he wanted to stay, who he didn’t, who he could get rid of beyond the OOC players.  He experimented.  That was his plan.  The CEO was of course “running towards adversity”!

We had a manager who didn’t give a toss about his own PPG, but one who knew the dangers ahead in 2021-22 season.

But if you want to ignore that, that’s fine.

+++++

OTIBers don’t need to come onto a thread a try to trash him every chance they get.  Show some f++king respect for a bloke who put this club back on the right track.  We’ve got some snide posters on here.

• Like 9
  • Flames 9