IGNORED

Liam Pre Cardiff

Silvio Dante

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think here we have transgressed from what is possible under any "Tecknikal Director" to the realm of what is likely under the current incumbent. From the little I know of Tinnion I think I agree with you that he tends to ruthlessness only when pushed to do so by threat to his own position. I don't think such a threat will come from within the club this season and so I suspect we will stick with Manning through to the summer, at which point we are effectively with him until such time as a top end finish looks unlikely. With the CEO role extinguished Tinnion's only bosses on the football side of things are the shareholders, and they seem content at this moment. Fan pressure or grumbling or bed sheets will do the square root of **** all.

I agree with the bit in bold above because any fool can do that.

Not to tread over old ground but Pearson's departure was an acceleration of the inevitable. As such I don't see much relevance in any possible "sabotage". He was going. It was only a matter of time. Edit: In. My. Opinion.

As to your final part; yes, there's a quandary. I feel like I lean to what I voted for in your poll: stick, back, and assess early next season. Perhaps this makes me the fool that I refer to above.

However, I think that Manning's target style of football gives us a better chance of promotion than the alternative that we have discussed. This does mean major backing in the summer (not quite a rebuild, but a realignment certainly). We have discussed the merits of these options.

I reserve the right to reassess after the next few matches.

Genuine question, because I really don't follow other teams much at all, but what teams have been promoted from the Championship in the last 10 years playing that brand of football without the benefit of parachute payments?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

Genuine question, because I really don't follow other teams much at all, but what teams have been promoted from the Championship in the last 10 years playing that brand of football without the benefit of parachute payments?

Here’s one I prepared earlier!

image.png.07169e4698244ff8ec222532d329c75d.png

This is since we’ve been back up in tier 2, and 2016/17 was the year of increased PPs, virtually doubling in their worth.

Dark Green - straight back up

Light Green - promoted with PPs

You can decide on team style, but I think there are other angles too.

• Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is since we’ve been back up in tier 2, and 2016/17 was the year of increased PPs, virtually doubling in their worth.

@Colemanballs - old Spreadsheet Boy has come to our rescue (thanks SB). Honestly I'm not going to pretend I accurately recall the precise degree to which each of these teams is or isn't similar to "Manning's preferred style". But based on what I do remember I guess looking at that list you're going to conclude that the answer to your question is "very few".

However, because I am of the opinion - and this may be tinpot - that actually targeting promotion is a flawed aim for our club I would actually tweak your question to something more like "How many non-parachute clubs have managed to finish between 3rd and 6th playing a style similar to that which Manning prefers." I think that's the aim when we sit down in July each season, as that then gives us a chance of promotion.

I suspect that if we saw that spreadsheet we might say that there is a bit of a chance.

There's a couple of supplementary questions as well imo (do I have to keep saying "in my opinion" or can it just be taken as read across every post?):

1. How many have finished top 6/been promoted playing "the other guy's style" we have played this season?
  2. Is it feasible/likely that we can move to any other style - including the general styles you see represented in Fev's table - within the timeframe we have (6 months as I said in my chat with @Silvio Dante earlier in the thread.

The answers to those questions (which I hypothesise are 1) not many, and 2) no) should influence the considerations one has when deciding which style we should invest in - which is the overriding question this thread is currently exploring.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

There's a couple of supplementary questions as well imo (do I have to keep saying "in my opinion" or can it just betaken as read across every post?):

Yeah, I’m never sure.  I tend to use it when I’m on the opposite side of the argument that can’t be fact based.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

Excellent thread this. 

It is, isn’t it? (I may be biased). Hasn’t descended into hyperbole and ranting and is a pretty measured discussion of where we are and the concerns. A part of me says that when you’ve got to that stage and the rantings removed that it’s really time to worry. Good work by all concerned, particularly @Davefevs @ExiledAjax, @Sheltons Army @exAtyeoMax (has to be included) and even @Harry (for making me get the full quote!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Robin 2

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, I’m never sure.  I tend to use it when I’m on the opposite side of the argument that can’t be fact based.

I am aware that I can be definitive when I mean to state an opinion or something that is merely likely rather than certain. It's a flaw of my communication style.

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

It is, isn’t it? (I may be biased). Hasn’t descended into hyperbole and ranting and is a pretty measured discussion of where we are and the concerns. A part of me says that when you’ve got to that stage and the rantings removed that it’s really time to worry. Good work by all concerned, particularly @Davefevs @ExiledAjax, @Sheltons Army @exAtyeoMax (has to be included) and even @Harry (for making me get the full quote!)

Too kind as always.

And don't fear. I'm sure the hyperbole and ranting will reappear with a vengeance at approximately 11:30 tomorrow when the team sheet comes out.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought this might be useful context / cross-ref, not the answer though.

image.png.5d24ab480ee8762cf8e25ebf9fc5bc94.png

my biggest Q is WTAF are Stoke playing at!

I guess Stoke are this season's odd team. The old "what on earth are you doing there" squad. Realistically they should really be switched with Cardiff. See PNE at the other end.

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought this might be useful context / cross-ref, not the answer though.

image.png.5d24ab480ee8762cf8e25ebf9fc5bc94.png

my biggest Q is WTAF are Stoke playing at!

Cardiff don’t come out of that graph very well do they!

City 0-1 Cardiff

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I am aware that I can be definitive when I mean to state an opinion or something that is merely likely rather than certain. It's a flaw of my communication style.

Bloody hell, if you’ve got a flaw in your comms style, I might have to stop posting! 😮

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hocca said:

Cardiff don’t come out of that graph very well do they!

City 0-1 Cardiff

That top 4 though!!!  You can ignore the red scores for Saints and Leicester because of their obvious style.

@Cowshed thought you might like to see the relative ranking of Ipswich?

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The issue now for me, is what do I judge him on?

Just imagine he gets us back on track / improves us playing more of the Nige brand of football.  He’s only doing that to get him to the summer, when he’s gonna toss it in the bin, and recruit to go back to his way.  Why not be open-minded about what works and what didn’t.  And what if we regress further?

Surely, this was the time to stick to his plan, with no fear (little fear) of playoffs or relegation.

Following on from yesterday’s press conference where is his critical analysis of his own approach / method / style.

As others have said, playing the type of football he wants to play generally requires a PP budget.  We won’t ever have that until we get relegated from the PL (see the problem)!

This has turned into a pivotal two or three games because of yesterday.

That really bothers me Dave. He is in self preservation mode and is now at the point of doing what's best for Liam Manning. Of course we are beneficiaries of if Liam Manning does well then Bristol City do well but I just don't like that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

Needs 3 points from the next 3 games absolute minimum IMHO. Less than that and I think the trigger will be pulled as we'd likely be 5 points or so off bottom going into games against WBA and Leicester.

I don't think there is any scenario in which LM gets the sack this season. I base that on my feeling that we are very unlikely to get relegated. If we did though, presumably he'd go at that point.

46 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Too kind as always.

And don't fear. I'm sure the hyperbole and ranting will reappear with a vengeance at approximately 11:30 tomorrow when the team sheet comes out.

I know what you mean.

I'll be crying inside as soon as I see Anis Mehmeti is in the starting line up.

And then remark that COD was twice the player (and we were generally glad to see the back of him).

I might even conjecture that Harry Cornick would do a better job out of position on the left, before going on a rant about playing two up top.

Oh well.

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bloody hell, if you’ve got a flaw in your comms style, I might have to stop posting! 😮

Not just you Dave, we'd have to shut the forum down! Ah well, it was fun while it lasted. 😯

10 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I know what you mean.

And then remark that COD was twice the player (and we were generally glad to see the back of him).

I might even conjecture that Harry Cornick would do a better job out of position on the left, before going on a rant about playing two up top.

Oh well.

Team for tomorrow:

O’Leary

McCrorie Vyner Dickie Pring

Williams James

Knight

Sykes Wells Conway

what I think LM will pick 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Team for tomorrow:

O’Leary

Williams James

Knight

Sykes Wells Conway

Id be happy with that but Wells to miss out and Cornick to start for me. Part of me wonders if we play the left wide inverted, could Robert’s and Pring be our left side with one pushed further forward.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I know what you mean.

Oh well.

I wouldn’t normally have a drink before midday, but if Anis starts I may need a Natch before the game.

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Team for tomorrow:

O’Leary

Williams James

Knight

Sykes Wells Conway

Assuming James is fit - if not TGH alongside Williams.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Team for tomorrow:

O’Leary

Williams James

Knight

Sykes Wells Conway

I think he's gonna go 3/5 at the back. Wouldn't surprise me if we saw Naismith in the starting line up. I hope not, but LM is desperate. 

I think he's gonna set us up to not lose. 

• Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Brentford and Bielsa's Leeds?

Probably about it..Huddersfield and Sheffield United were quite enterprising but in a different way.

On 29/02/2024 at 16:28, Silvio Dante said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/liam-mannings-severnside-derby-press-conference/

Just a few highlights:

- Says he didn’t get it right tactically against QPR

- Against Sheffield was more around the basics and didn’t see much wrong with the gameplan. Team got too emotional and weren’t controlled

- “It makes me laugh because 12 days ago everything was great”

- Wouldn’t change any of his processes or the way he works

- Thinks he has had to adapt because of the players but didn’t say much specific

- Believes prior to the last two games there was only one poor performance out of 20

- Thinks some fatigue from the period just got through

- Can give all the information to the players but they need to step up on pitch

- Delighted with Dickie/Vyner generally and wouldn’t focus on last week

- Stokes looking good in training- Murphy some way off and likely to be pre season next year “You’ll need to speak to the medical team”

- Naismith in squad, Twine out, James a doubt

The bloke is so far out of his depth he has no idea and is saving face. 

Sack Pearson all you like, but at least replace him with someone tacticly ept, inspiring/motivational and/or realistic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Team for tomorrow:

O’Leary

Williams James

Knight

Sykes Wells Conway

Considering the comments that I've seen since the Wednesday match, not there or even listening to Radio Bristol, the two full backs should be Tanner and Roberts.

And I'll bet that he doesn't play two strikers.

And how we need a midfielder who can make penetrating passes. How about Naismith instead of James or Williams?

Anyway my pessimistic mind tells me that it will be another home defeat. Cheerful sod aren't I.

• Like 1

On 29/02/2024 at 16:28, Silvio Dante said:

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Team for tomorrow:

O’Leary

Williams James

Knight

Sykes Wells Conway

Looks a very well structures counter attacking NP team in a 4-5-1 defence vs 4-3-3 attack style team