IGNORED

Do You Give Him Help?

Picking up on something @headhunter said on the pod re Ward, Benny etc and at times the need for help, particularly when adapting to a new level.

It’s now accepted that in a lot of ways Liam is struggling. Badly. In such a circumstance the “third way” can be to bring in someone from outside in order to assist. If you look at our managerial team (including Tinnion) there is nobody who has managed at this level successfully, or played above League One consistently. In short, there’s nobody who really, really knows the game and how it works.

So, on the assumption the board don’t want rid of Liam, would this be an acceptable third way? And who would it be (please don’t say Nige) - and most importantly of all, because I have my doubts, would Liam accept it?

• Like 3

If he needs/gets help he’s done. He shouldn’t be managing at this level if he isn’t completely ready and it would make the decision makers at our club look even more foolish. If that’s possible.

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Picking up on something @headhunter said on the pod re Ward, Benny etc and at times the need for help, particularly when adapting to a new level.

It’s now accepted that in a lot of ways Liam is struggling. Badly. In such a circumstance the “third way” can be to bring in someone from outside in order to assist. If you look at our managerial team (including Tinnion) there is nobody who has managed at this level successfully, or played above League One consistently. In short, there’s nobody who really, really knows the game and how it works.

So, on the assumption the board don’t want rid of Liam, would this be an acceptable third way? And who would it be (please don’t say Nige) - and most importantly of all, because I have my doubts, would Liam accept it?

It would be an admission of failiure in appointing him and acknowledging that Tinnion isnt up to the task.

Honesty and humility not a strongpoint for the Lansdowns so cant see it personally.

More likely to bumble on as we are and trust we stay up.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

In all seriousness, I like the idea but intrigued to know what role you would be thinking? Outside of a DoF or a second coach what role exists at that level?

It is probably an experienced second coach - our structure rules out a DoF as that treads on Tinnions toes. To be fair you can call it what you want though. If you asked (for example, not suggesting) Joe Jordan to come in as a consultant his title doesn’t matter - it’s what he brings to the table.

One of the (many) issues I think Liam has is that he’s blinded by the process - and the book he’s read is the same one “Hoggy” has read. So I think he needs a different viewpoint, to see what the book doesn’t tell him. Major caveat here is that I think he believes in the process so much that he may not show willingness to take it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It is probably an experienced second coach - our structure rules out a DoF as that treads on Tinnions toes. To be fair you can call it what you want though. If you asked (for example, not suggesting) Joe Jordan to come in as a consultant his title doesn’t matter - it’s what he brings to the table.

One of the (many) issues I think Liam has is that he’s blinded by the process - and the book he’s read is the same one “Hoggy” has read. So I think he needs a different viewpoint, to see what the book doesn’t tell him. Major caveat here is that I think he believes in the process so much that he may not show willingness to take it.

Says it all for me. He is just so so rigid and stuck on the process.  Also it’s him and ‘Hoggie’ against the world it seems.  They are the team. Can’t see that dynamic being broken up easily if at all.   

Edited by lenred
Typo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I would say we need a manager, not another coach. A tactician. I don't know who exactly. 

Early this morning I was thinking of Wilbs. 

Edited by exAtyeoMax

I wouldn't be supeised if SL/JL were struggling with this and whether to seek additional help or pray he can get us to the end of the season and safety and then review. I think they would be concerned about how bringing help in/changing the structure would make their decision process look appointing him in the first place.

People often suggested the same for Lee. I always wondered that in that case, what exactly are they bringing to the table?

Is it just a demotion to coach in all but name? If so, then what's the point - I'd just ditch them and get someone in to replace them rather than attempting to paper over the cracks (and then have another payoff in 6 months when that doesn't work either!)

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Just now, robin_unreliant said:

Don't you think Tinnion already sees himself as that experienced older head that is 'helping'? I suspect the club does.

Yep and that is part of the problem. It irritates me when they show the training on you tube and Tinnion is stood on the touch line. Tinnion shouldn’t be anywhere near the first team IMO

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

People often suggested the same for Lee. I always wondered that in that case, what exactly are they bringing to the table?

Is it just a demotion to coach in all but name? If so, then what's the point - I'd just ditch them and get someone in to replace them rather than attempting to paper over the cracks (and then have another payoff in 6 months when that doesn't work either!)

Don’t get me wrong - that’s my preference! I actually think in a lot of ways Liam needs an external viewpoint more than Lee did. At least Lee would try different things.

The microsome of Liam was when you looked to the bench on 59 minutes on Saturday and saw the subs stripping off. It’s become so predictable it’s a parody.

• Like 1

I've never known a leader who focuses only on theory, concepts and soundbites who has been successful.

What LM lacks is charisma, gravitas and authority and he can't be 'helped' with those. 

All the great managers and coaches possess those qualities to motivate and drive the squad.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 2

I can't see that working, it will be at odds to how he wants to set up and play.

We have a squad that is comfortably mid table quality. 

And here in lies the problem, as JL and BT think with better coaching they should be pushing for the play offs. 

NP played to our squads strengths. He achieved a slow upward curve of mid table stability. 

LM is trying a system that doesn't play to our strengths. That imo, is why we are on a downward spiral. 

Also...imo, he struggles when we have a plethora of fit players to choose from. Often picking the wrong players and system against opposition. Too much change. 

Now he wants us to go back to basics 🙈🤷

It's jumbled coaching imo. 

Better he leaves. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

50 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Nige

King & James have extensive knowledge of a higher standard, could they be of any help?.

Not that I believe for one minute that LM would consider asking.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I agree I think he does need a bigger backroom staff with more experience.