IGNORED

Ipswich Town away match thread

1 hour ago, Tim Monaghan said:

This is nothing to do with Manning tonight, sorry. You can say that about the last 2 results, but this one’s on the players. Gutless and weak. 

Did we watch the same game? yes we gave the game away a bit at the end, but lack of desire or effort could not be directed at the players, we matched them for most of the game in the end it came down to us lacking the confidence to see the game out. I'm disappointed yet frustrated at how close we came to actually getting a result that very few on here gave us a chance of getting. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, phantom said:

Thankfully we can't point the finger at him tonight 

We gave it a good go but let down by individual mistakes 

I'd be asking the players where the effort like that tonight has been the past few games 

Let's hope this version of City turn up on Sunday 

Results business I'm afraid. Only Rotherham have less points from the last 10 games. Not good enough. 

• Like 4

Oddschecker has our relegation odds shortening from 66-1 to 50-1 after tonight. So still long odds, and hard to see all thosr teams climbing above us to send us down. I think we'll stay up.

But, for 2023-24, on a points per game basis, we're doing worse under Liam Manning than under Nigel Pearson and with less cause for optimism now than we had in November 2023 under Nige. Depressing stuff indeed.

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They're overachieving wildly. Crest of a wave, perfect storm.

They stay down and I hope they do, they will be less turbo-charged next year. Sure of it.

A miles better squad than yours though!

For what it is worth, Manning did a proper job on us tonight up until we made the quadruple change which totally changed the game. You contained us as well as anyone has at PR this season. 

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, lenred said:

I said they are a League 1 squad with a few key additions. If I’d put a ‘League 1 promotion winning squad’ would that make it better? I thought that was obvious but evidently not! It’s what they are.  It’s factual.  

True, but they’ve definitely got something about them as a collective, and pace too. The generally accepted view was that they’d fall away just after Xmas, if anything they’ve got stronger.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

For what it is worth, Manning did a proper job on us tonight up until we made the quadruple change which totally changed the game. You contained us as well as anyone has at PR this season. 

Avoiding a lot of injuries assists, momentum etc. Luongo and Morsy are solid Championship players nothing more. They are not a 3 points off 2/3 of a PL squad type level.

Hirst e.g. bit like Szmodics, season of his life. Pick a few players and you can add.

Travis again depth as a decent midfielder nothing more. Outperforming the baseline level, a number of players in peak years etc.

Davis is very, very good. I don't mean this rudely but a lot of the individuals in the Ipswich squad aren't star, flashy names.

Partly that and partly depth IMO, again 7 or 8 injured..Ipswich I bet if I look through I will see a lot of ever or quite close to ever present.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Avoiding a lot of injuries assists, momentum etc. Luongo and Morsy are solid Championship players nothing more. They are not a 3 points off 2/3 of a PL squad type level.

Hirst e.g. bit like Szmodics, season of his life. Pick a few players and you can add.

Travis again depth as a decent midfielder nothing more. Outperforming the baseline level, a number of players in peak years etc.

We can say what we like about their squad but every one of us would swap our season for theirs

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Literally none of your players would start for us though. And I am not even trying to be provocative!

Just now, Dan11 said:

Literally none of your players would start for us though. And I am not even trying to be provocative!

Fortunate wirh injuries is on3 factor, riding crest of a wave is another. Excellent unit a third.

Few of your club owned players individually are ones who people look at and go wow stellar. Like I said in my edited post, Davis perhaps but the rest who can say. Moore too but will he be permanent? Time will tell.

Morsy and Luongo as top 2 contending Championship midfielders when 3 of the strongest most established sides drop in a while is a major moon shot.

Your depth is okay but nothing spectacular.

despite being beaten you should be proud of your team tonight for making us work for that victory.    City came within 10 minutes of taking three points from a long trip from one side of the country to the other against the division's form team and 6 wins in succession before your visit.     In fairness we do concede more than we should but it's compensated by an efficient strike rate and goals from just about all areas of the team.     All the same there's never any divine right to victory and you made it tough for us but obviously delighted to win it and move closer to a return to the top level for first time since 2002.   (Yes, it's really been that long)

There's no guarantee we'll make it though, Leeds and LCFC both won tonight too which is a shame but at least it's competitive up there if nothing else.     Nearly a full capacity at Portman Road for a midweek game, something that just wouldn't have happened only a few years back with a different manager or set of players. Take this opportunity to applaud all and any Robins fans who made the long trip over from the West for this evening game.      Yes you're obviously disappointed with the score but showed glimpses tonight that there could be something left in the season if you put the same initiative and determination into future games you displayed here and with us.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Southend Blue said:

despite being beaten you should be proud of your team tonight for making us work for that victory.    City came within 10 minutes of taking three points from a long trip from one side of the country to the other against the division's form team and 6 wins in succession before your visit.     In fairness we do concede more than we should but it's compensated by an efficient strike rate and goals from just about all areas of the team.     All the same there's never any divine right to victory and you made it tough for us but obviously delighted to win it and move closer to a return to the top level for first time since 2002.   (Yes, it's really been that long)

There's no guarantee we'll make it though, Leeds and LCFC both won tonight too which is a shame but at least it's competitive up there if nothing else.     Nearly a full capacity at Portman Road for a midweek game, something that just wouldn't have happened only a few years back with a different manager or set of players. Take this opportunity to applaud all and any Robins fans who made the long trip over from the West for this evening game.      Yes you're obviously disappointed with the score but showed glimpses tonight that there could be something left in the season if you put the same initiative and determination into future games you displayed here and with us.  

Thanks.

But nah... we're ****ed. From top to bottom. 

But especially the top.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Southend Blue said:

With all due respect mate, there is nothing in this world that would convince me we should be proud of nearly beating Ipswich Town.

Man City or Liverpool, maybe. Ipswich Town, not in a million years!

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
19 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

check out Real Madrid mind 🤣. We should absolutely not be proud for making a team in the same league as us “work for a win” 

get over yourself you bellends 

Just reply to the above and then around about call it a night

Thing is Ivan, if this game and result had occurred some 4 or 5 years ago I'd be inclined to agree with you.    But things are different now.    We're a team on the up and club name revigorated from the disasters of recent seasons.    Maybe it will all go back to shit before any rejuvenation has the chance to take place again, maybe McKenna could be lured away at end of season, maybe the squad we have right now will be broken up in a short time, maybe some giant sea monster will emerge from the North Sea and take up residence at Portman Road and we'll all be forced to stage match days in Christchurch Park, until any or all of these things occur, you just can't tell.

Point is, as someone who gets to follow and see just about each and every score and game involving my club throughout each passing year or season I'd like to feel I possess a right or validation in saying this is (right now at least) a club name you can take a certain pride in.   Neutrals or rival fans can't or won't quite understand it and that's fair enough but the truth is we've come such a long way in such a short space of time.    In fact it's something almost unparalleled in our history.    Only 2 years, 30 months back fans thought a possible fall into League Two would occur as then owner Evans was single-handedly destroying everything good about us and sending the club name on a collision course with disaster.

I don't necessarily believe in deities, a higher power than mankind or heavenly intervention but from somewhere, something good came along and all the pieces are starting to fall into place.    All right we're not the teams you mention and could never make such a comparison (Manchester City incidentally were nothing before the Arabs came in and turned them from a mediocre club side into title challengers and all on the basis of obscene investment and available funding, while teams like us and lower league can only watch on and not do a thing about it) but from my own club's perspective and witness of not only tonight but last couple of seasons, there's a resilience and will to succeed there that simply hasn't been in place going back over twenty years.

I know some fans here will still choose to criticise us win lose or draw because of the Mark Ashton connection and I say again it's unfortunate and regrettable that one individual has to cause friction or discontent within the respective fanbase but those honest enough will or should accept we're a team or club name making it's way back on a more positive route.    Between 2007 - 2020/21 this team was out of it, a mess, in total disarray - but finally on the verge of giving something back to the fans, at least for the years spent in question where at times you felt like giving up.    If or when we get promoted to the premier league, first time in 22 years, we will have earned it because of not only this season but the one before (100 goals, almost as many points in League One)   We could return straight away and only be back for 1 year, but for now, and I'm sure I speak for all Town fans, we're just enjoying this spell while it lasts and taking pleasure in something that has been very few and far between going back to 2006.   

You try to find the rights words but happy with that.    It's a fair and honest assessment from a fan that's seen more bad times than good but can't really offer much more than that for this visit.    Goodnight.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

If Ipswich 2023/2024 are like Bristol City 2007/2008 then fair play to them, a team greater than the sum of their parts with a shrewd coach who can grind out wins like last night, or blow teams away.

It wasn’t that long ago Morsy was getting abused by Ipswich fans (every club has their share of these fans…) in league one and now he’s on the brink of the PL.

Just proves that while parachute payments are a major factor in getting promoted from this league, just occasionally a team will gel together and upset the odds.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, TV Tom said:

It helps when you can bring on the type of quality subs that they have

And it hurts even more when the sub who was very influential was a player we released, some time ago I grant you, but he was once on our books.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dan11 said:

I don't agree , not as a squad if all were fully fit. You seem to have more depth and better options, but again some of that could be due to what we have available.  You have the same feel to me as our lot in 2008 , riding the crest of a wave after promotion and getting the best from what you have. That's no bad thing . Back then we seemed to dig out results , fins ways of winning and momentum played a big part in that . 
Not sure I'd put you on the same level as Leicester , Southampton and Leeds,  but you have a chance of splitting them up . We ended up dropping off and in the playoffs , be interesting to see how you finish the season.

As for stopping you play, look at our results against sides that try and play against us , the Southampton game was a prime example where we took our chances at the right time. Odd goal defeats at Leeds , Leicester and S'hmpton , and 0-1 against Leeds ( best side I've seen this year by some way. 
2 stand out moments last night. At 1-0 , Wells misses a gilt edge chance to make it 2. Then conceding seconds after retaking the lead. All if's and but's , but big moments change games.

7 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

We can say what we like about their squad but every one of us would swap our season for theirs

No one can argue with that.

6 minutes ago, Offside said:

Gutted to lose so late on, especially after being 2-1 up and the. The penalty save. But at least by the sounds of it we out in a much better performance. 

We desperately need to start picking points up, though. 

We were us. Against sides that come out at us we have a chance, limit space , try and win the ball and cause them problems. Same last night .  
I have no doubt against sides sitting in we will revert to type. Huff , Puff and not have a clue without the space to play in.

One thing that stands out and has been mentioned, our fitness seems to have dropped off. However bad we've been , we have ran and ran until the end. One game a week recently and they look leggier that they did during that 7 in 21 days.

Players playing that don't look fit , players looking frustrated and moaning at each other. Not a good look and something we've not seen for some time. 

Not sure Manning has the answer, not confident our Board has either. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, TV Tom said:

It would of been mad to take Pring off, Burns in that form is a handful for anyone, oh to have the riches Ipswich have in attack and that’s with Broadbent and Hurst being injured 

I think we should have kept him on and brought on Roberts.

• Like 1

I’ve just seen the goals back and terrible defending:

Goal 1- Dickie has to deal with the ball to Burns but either was too slow or thought Pring would deal with it.

Goal 2 - TGH let’s man get across him & basically switched off. Smallest player on pitch scores with a header.

Goal 3 - McCrorie loses first header against a smaller opponent was first mistake then clearly Sykes doesn’t track runner.

I know you can analyse ever goal conceded but the three yesterday were so avoidable & frustrating. 

• Like 1

On the fitness issue, they all looked like pocket dynamos. A number of modest height, but real physical ‘units’, tough and solid. 

Are they being baulked up by the same fitness coaches Mark Ashton employed here? If so, what the hell was going on up the HPC to produce our team of injury prone lightweights! 

8 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I’ve just seen the goals back and terrible defending:

Goal 1- Dickie has to deal with the ball to Burns but either was too slow or thought Pring would deal with it.

Goal 2 - TGH let’s man get across him & basically switched off. Smallest player on pitch scores with a header.

Goal 3 - McCrorie loses first header against a smaller opponent was first mistake then clearly Sykes doesn’t track runner.

I know you can analyse ever goal conceded but the three yesterday were so avoidable & frustrating. 

Goal 1 : I think the camera angle makes it look a little closer to Dickie , but I take your point. I think he may have thought with Pring's position he had it under control. Pring is outpaced and out muscled , but it does look like Rob could have cleared from the photo.

Screenshot2024-03-06at08_34_21.png.f02a2245f30c640cb7b4f6ac016048da.png

Goal 2 : Again I see what you mean , but I think it's a great delivery. Just beats the front man and at pace. If the delivery is slightly different he doesn't score, sadly it was spot on.

Screenshot2024-03-06at08_38_57.png.8c8bb2510594cc5085d86de39c75f5a4.png

Goal 3 : He is actually in line with the rest of the MF when he chases back. He does get there and forces the guy back , another day maybe gets a block in.  McCrorie should do better on the header .

Screenshot2024-03-06at08_42_41.png.2a045a47abb51b58bbaa935274b5b192.png

Back in position pretty much.

Screenshot2024-03-06at08_46_31.png.f43f9f49900ece4c8bd1b45f3566d483.png

Little bit of luck and Dickie gets better connection on either of the 2 he tries to clear , or the cross is 6" out and we get something from the game . All if's and but's and small margins. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

True, but they’ve definitely got something about them as a collective, and pace too. The generally accepted view was that they’d fall away just after Xmas, if anything they’ve got stronger.

Must admit I was very much in that camp.  Guess that shows that I thought their league 1 squad would falter!  Have to say chapeau to them atm, as massively annoying as that is. Still hope they fall away to play offs.   Ashton in the Prem will be unbearable!   

9 hours ago, pillred said:

Did we watch the same game? yes we gave the game away a bit at the end, but lack of desire or effort could not be directed at the players, we matched them for most of the game in the end it came down to us lacking the confidence to see the game out. I'm disappointed yet frustrated at how close we came to actually getting a result that very few on here gave us a chance of getting. 

Ipswich didn’t nick it in extra time, they came back twice and did the job during the 90 minutes.

46 minutes ago, GrumpyGit said:

Ipswich didn’t nick it in extra time, they came back twice and did the job during the 90 minutes.

I know that, but we were winning with 15 to go and up till then I thought the game was evenly matched, we ultimately only actually lost it in the last few minutes of normal time. A draw would have been a fairer result based on the game I watched, which is a result few expected as a thrashing was mentioned in a fair few posts.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Goal 1 : I think the camera angle makes it look a little closer to Dickie , but I take your point. I think he may have thought with Pring's position he had it under control. Pring is outpaced and out muscled , but it does look like Rob could have cleared from the photo.

Screenshot2024-03-06at08_34_21.png.f02a2245f30c640cb7b4f6ac016048da.png

Goal 2 : Again I see what you mean , but I think it's a great delivery. Just beats the front man and at pace. If the delivery is slightly different he doesn't score, sadly it was spot on.

Screenshot2024-03-06at08_38_57.png.8c8bb2510594cc5085d86de39c75f5a4.png

Goal 3 : He is actually in line with the rest of the MF when he chases back. He does get there and forces the guy back , another day maybe gets a block in.  McCrorie should do better on the header .

Screenshot2024-03-06at08_42_41.png.2a045a47abb51b58bbaa935274b5b192.png

Back in position pretty much.

Screenshot2024-03-06at08_46_31.png.f43f9f49900ece4c8bd1b45f3566d483.png

Little bit of luck and Dickie gets better connection on either of the 2 he tries to clear , or the cross is 6" out and we get something from the game . All if's and but's and small margins. 

Thanks for this and that first goal makes it unbelievable that Dickie didn’t deal with it.