IGNORED

Ipswich Town away match thread

17 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Look it was a better performance but how can we fall apart like that with 10 to go. It was poor overall, could have ended 4 or 5 easily. So Bristol City to save a pen then concede an OG mins later. 

Hardly poor overall.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I give him credit for playing to the teams strengths, playing to what this team was built for. 

However he failed to react to the changes and that's why we lost. 

Yep and funny enough it's not a new thing for them to do should of reacted.

13 minutes ago, lenred said:

Not sure if I count but he should’ve brought Roberts on for Pring at least.   He was injured as it was.   He looked ******. And Burns had him on toast almost immediately when he came on.  Needed changing.  

Just cannot understand it. Pring carrying a knock and Anis looked knackered, kept both on for 90 despite Burns constantly looking dangerous down that side.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Sky love in with teams like Ipswich

Hurts but it’s currently very much deserved.   They’ve changed the game and should’ve won 4/2 from 1/2 down.  And they’ve turned games around consistently with superb game management and man management…….

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

Burns did the frightening but both goals conceded on the right as result of McCrorie going walkabout and Sykes not being fit.

Yes, I was thinking McCrorie would be an upgrade on Tanner, but on the last couple of displays you would have to say Tanner is a MUCH better defender at RB than McCrorie is.

• Like 5

Cam hadn't played 90 mins since Leeds over a month ago. Just a couple of matches ago he looked so not match fit I thought it would be a while before he had to play a whole match. He should have been subbed or at least that side shored up with some help.

• Like 3

City struggled against the deep block that both QPR and Cardiff employed and Manning couldn’t fathom out a way to break it down.

City adopted a high block tonight and kept Ipswich in their own half first 45 and The Tractor Boys  struggled to have any impact. Second half was different with Ipswich utilising both wings with pace and that’s why it was far more exciting to watch.

All that said it was a much better performance against a team in the promotion race. 
With the Jacks at AG on Sunday Manning has to ‘work on the grass’ to work out a way of nullifying a deep block which undoubtedly the Jacks will employ - I won’t be holding my breath tho.

• Like 1
Just now, TV Tom said:

You don’t judge a whole game on the last ten minutes, of course we are going to come under pressure away from home against the team second in the league and unbeaten at home for six month’s, overall I thought we deserved a draw at least, we made Ipswich look very ordinary for the vast majority of the game

One might say we made them look ordinary, others could say they played within themselves until the quadruple sub. One praises us, one critiques them. Depends on the side of fence you sit on because it’s impossible to prove. 

My take on it - for those that care.

Manning's problem is that he can nail the setup like he did today - and its great.

•  Played Knight alongside Wells for the front-two press (this needed to have been done much earlier as a general change of his setup and not just tonight).

• Against an open team, who we always do favourably against, but especially when using more of a press.

• Triggered the press weel in correct transition phases when they played into their pockets (Davis, Taunzebe, Luongo, Morsy).

• Pushed McCrorie and Pring high to pin them back when in possession, and forced them to start transitions from deeper meaning easier to close in the space in behind with their players pinned (see point three).

Credit for all of that. But he struggles when opposition adapt - Cardiff did it Saturday after 25 minutes, Sheffield Wednesday did it after half time not that we were in that game at all, Ipswich did it using subs on the 61st (Hamadi, Burns, inparticular). Its the fact that Manning doesnt adjust quick enough, hes looking for evidence of problems before correcting them instead of anticipating said problems (Pring's fitness, TGH struggling second half defensively) which then lead directly to the goals we concede. Its happened in almost every game that we get worse after half time. The in-game management just isnt there, and nor is the motivation and previous character we had, like after that second equaliser - heads drop; add on he's already blamed players directly at least three times individually or generally in press conferences and being younger players they're goign to be more prone to drips in form, they need encouragement, not just critique granted that we can't speak for what goes on in training but performances of said younger players have not been good for a while (Conway, Bell, TGH, etc).

Its not a sustainable situation, and ultimately the performance matters little if we don't get at least a point out of games like that.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, lenred said:

Hurts but it’s currently very much deserved.   They’ve changed the game and should’ve won 4/2 from 1/2 down.  And they’ve turned games around consistently with superb game management and man management…….

It helps when you can bring on the type of quality subs that they have

• Like 2

Have to say, second half was a complete reversal of the first. From boring to thrilling, proper game of football.

Definitely can’t fault the effort or work rate, there’s no sign of “lost dressing rooms” out there tonight.

A bit of naivety / sloppy defending and possible lack of change to react cost us?

Their 4 subs completely changed them, brought on some quality and really troubled us especially Burns.

I think in isolation you’d walk away and say we have it a go, but in the run of form it’s another defeat. I don’t want to say Swansea is “must win” but if we don’t, when will we?

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Yes, I was thinking McCrorie would be an upgrade on Tanner, but on the last couple of displays you would have to say Tanner is a MUCH better defender at RB than McCrorie is.

Yes people moaned about George banging on about him not getting forward but now we look weaker defensively and apart from tonight we haven’t been troubling the score board

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

Just cannot understand it. Pring carrying a knock and Anis looked knackered, kept both on for 90 despite Burns constantly looking dangerous down that side.

The obvious replacements on that side would have been Mebude and Roberts, not sure that really would have strengthened. I think we have to look at the defending generally, Burns just caused the panic.  you give a team like that a head of steam and they’ll go for it, 28 points including tonight from being behind in games is staggering.

7 minutes ago, lenred said:

One of the reasons we have our new man in charge was to improve the fitness wasn’t it.   What a joke that’s turned out to be!!  

I’d love to see some stats to see whether I’m right in thinking that we aren’t looking as fit, but since I posted it earlier people seem to be agreeing.

could that be done to the change of style now that it’s more possession based and slow 

3 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

It helps when you can bring on the type of quality subs that they have

That’s a whole different debate which I cannot be arsed with tonight, but just to say they are a league 1 squad with a few key additions.   It’s not an excuse.   

My immediate reaction - a better performance but another defeat. Having led twice we were ultimately undone by some weak defending and an inability to create any chances when chasing the game. If NWs effort had gone in it might have been a different outcome. 

Watched it with two Ipswich fans, which was interesting for a couple of reasons (1) it was available on Ipswich Town TV, not sure how they can show it while Robins TV couldn’t (2) they were genuinely astonished by how many of our throw ins went directly to an Ipswich player!

5 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Absolutely, McCrorie is better up the pitch, but does not convince as a right back regardless of whether he thinks that’s his best position, he’s not the quickest and then gets caught out of position meaning that someone has to cover. A half fit Sykes is not the answer there… I’d be starting Tanner if fit

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

If you watch McCrorie, he’s very frustrated. Very often having to gesture to other players where they should be for very simple stuff. Either that or he’s getting forward, only to discover that no one else has got forward too.

Tanner is the better defender but, as we all know, is always looking to play back.

20 minutes ago, George Rs said:

What really annoys me is if we played like that against any of the last 3 we probably would’ve won them all, or at least got points. 

And it happens over and over. Why on earth can we only play better than average against the better teams? 

Because we are forced to play the way the previous manager set us up?