IGNORED

Points per game and League table since Manning took charge

4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

They're betting the farm on "He needs the summer to get his own players in". 

He does deserve time and he does deserve his own players but there's a lot of evidence this season to make you wonder whether even that is the answer.

I fear we won't enjoy finding out. 

Own players? I thought he was just the head coach and following a project? The odds we get loads of HIS players in the summer is pretty slim.. and if he does then i think alot of fans will be a bit anoyed they didnt back the manager last summer and wasted this season 🤔... 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Exactly, although there is still time for manning to be less badder in a direct comparison on these stats adjusted for season end. I can’t see sky covering the race for mid table anytime soon tbh

We're failing and regressing- if you can't see it well..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yes true - and Pearson had longer to work with the players

He did get longer AG, but to be brutally honest, it appears the longer ‘time on the grass’ Liam gets, the worse the players become.  It’s a very worrying trend for me and is why I’ve got little optimism that LM is likely to turn it round.

Definitely hope I’m wrong and he improves very quickly, or it’ll will be a very uncomfortable end of the season for us.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

He did get longer AG, but to be brutally honest, it appears the longer ‘time on the grass’ Liam gets, the worse the players become.  It’s a very worrying trend for me and is why I’ve got little optimism that LM is likely to turn it round.

Definitely hope I’m wrong and he improves very quickly, or it’ll will be a very uncomfortable end of the season for us.

That's a fair opinion, though i think we looked really good against Ipswich

3 hours ago, Capman said:

I don’t recall him saying he would not accept a new contract? In fact just the opposite. There was no need to change and the consequences for that change rest with those who made it. 
I certainly do not agree that things were ‘going sour’. In fact my view is that without this change we would still be in contention for the playoffs. 

There was uncertainty over Pearsons future and a lot of talk about friction between Nige and the board in fairness . HOWEVER , replacing Nige with a rookie based on bugger all was insane ! We have tanked under Manning and I just don’t see any way we’d have performed so badly under Pearson ! 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

If we stay up , it’ll thanks to the form under Pearson and nothing to do with Manning . 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We're failing and regressing- if you can't see it well..

My comment was clearly tongue in cheek regarding the battle for manning and Pearson to be desperately average.

what the answer is, I do not know.

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

That's a fair opinion, though i think we looked really good against Ipswich

In what way did you think we were really good?  I’m not saying we were shit, but keen to understand what others saw in Tuesday’s performance that is getting such praise.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In what way did you think we were really good?  I’m not saying we were shit, but keen to understand what others saw in Tuesday’s performance that is getting such praise.

Well, we scored two goals away to a high-flying team, led twice, made Ipswich look ordinary for all of the first half, and generally worked really hard

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'll keep it brief. As we recall we were 4 points off the playoffs, 11th place. 1.4 PPG, 40% win ratio and 10 above the drop the day that Manning took charge.

Since then and some sites you can pull the table out between specific dates...

The day Manning took over.

Screenshot_20240308-124035_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f9b59b778d4192cdd8756dbcab44e598.jpg

Our record under his tenure.

Screenshot_20240308-123914_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a5cbe40b0b8997a337996dfd56444b50.jpg

Huge regression.

You are becoming more repetitive and excruciatingly boring.

Getover:

1) Nigeywigey

2) Yourself

• Confused 1
  • Robin 1
  • Facepalm 6

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

Yeah we lost at home to them as well, back in October

OMG!!! Not a ******* gen!

With half the squad out injured, a 17yo making his debut in defence and a bench completely full of kids!

We played bloody well considering (remember the ball rolling along the line?).

Played well but lost, just like Tuesday BUT WITH FAR FEWER AVAILABLE FIT PLAYERS!

Jeeez...

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

You are becoming more repetitive and excruciatingly boring.

Getover:

1) Nigeywigey

2) Yourself

The numbers don't lie, those who like to spin out the new regime and how it is superior, how we are better off- well that's another matter..

That said it doesn't apply to all but some more than others very much so.. 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

OMG!!! Not a ******* gen!

With half the squad out injured, a 17yo making his debut in defence and a bench completely full of kids!

We played bloody well considering (remember the ball rolling along the line?).

Played well but lost, just like Tuesday BUT WITH FAR FEWER AVAILABLE FIT PLAYERS!

Jeeez...

Who was the 17 year old making his debut in defence?

I'd argue that the available players were very similar in both games

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not so much the defenders of Manning, but those who rubbish NP and seem to be brainwashed.

Are they on the payroll or something?

i dont think they ever met him or fully understood just how hard he was working to turn things around here.  the uphill struggle for the first 2 years before we approached the top of the hill, then to actually get us over that hill with no investment and start kicking on. either that or they simply couldnt accept his persona.

some people just cant see it or will not accept he was a better fit for a clueless set up without him than the rabble we have now..

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The numbers don't lie, those who like to spin out the new regime and how it is superior, how we are better off- well that's another matter..

That said it doesn't apply to all but some more than others very much so.

Perhaps you are right although I genuinely struggle to think of posters who think that.

Perhaps you could also put the names where your mouth is and we can check their comments? It won't take me long so just give me the names and I'll do the rest for you.

4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But football ain't mathematics!

Correct. But good teams tend to win more, bad teams tend to lose more and middling teams tend to be inconsistent. 

3 hours ago, Slack Bladder said:

I like this theory. If only we could win our first five games. Then we should win the league without dropping a point.

Of course, but we’re not taking a 5 game sample; it’s a 15 game sample. 

After 1 match, some teams will have 3 points and some 0 points. 
Would you expect that same 3 point gap between top and bottom after 15 games? Of course not. The gaps will gradually grow as the season progresses. 

In the 15 game example given, we were 18 points behind Leicester. 
Do you expect us to still be only 18 points behind Leicester after 36 games? If so then we’d be on 63 points. That’s 19 better than we are now. 
We’d be 5th. 

If that is your expectation then great. 

Truth is, the gap between teams will gradually grow as the season progresses. So a 4 point gap after 15 games will likely be a 8 point gap after 30 games. 
It’s just plain logic. 

Unless we had some crazy run of form, which for an inconsistent team like ours is highly unlikely, then I’d probably expected us to only be around 3 or 4 points better off than we are now. 

So yes, we have certainly regressed, but it’s not to a drastic level, it’s about 3 or 4 points worse off than we were after 15 games. 

By the way, I’ve nailed my colours to the mast - I don’t want Manning here any more. So again this isn’t a defence of him. But it’s just logic that over a reasonable block of games, most teams will probably consistently hit around about a similar number of points. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2

Except we haven't have we.

If we were going at the same rate we would have 50 points. 1.4 x 21.

The level has been regressed, perhaps it isn't dramatic but I dunno do the Maths.

We also tend to look less cohesive and certain players seem less assured or consistent which is disappointing if not worrying.

We are 7th bottom since Manning took charge.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Correct. But good teams tend to win more, bad teams tend to lose more and middling teams tend to be inconsistent.

Thanks for that H!

And seeing as we're the inconsistent type, I very much doubt our first 15 set of results would be replicated by the second or third set of results. Otherwise we wouldn't be inconsistent! Thereby negating your theory, surely?

Anyhoo, onwards and sideways. Hope you're keeping well 👍 Here's to putting the jacks back in their box on Sunday.

Up the City!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

So yes, we have certainly regressed, but it’s not to a drastic level, it’s about 3 or 4 points worse off than we were after 15 games. 

I think with all these things it’s down to two things:

• direction of travel
  • speed of travel

maybe a third thing:

• likelihood of changing direction.

I’m not gonna add my numbers to it, everyone else has done a fine job in adding their way of looking at it…and I’ve not seen anyone making stuff up / getting their numbers wrong (conveniently or not).  Everyone has a slightly different take on it.

But I’ll just add this to show why I’m worried:

image.png.dfeee28d152fdfc24595dfd97b6e0418.png

I still don’t think we’ll go down, but it shows that (maybe) we had our “bounce” and speed of regression isn’t gonna continue at a consistent rate…because it’s coming from an up-point.

+++++

Just get me 3 points on Sunday…take some pressure off.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

However Wednesday look better than us

They do on their pitch playing their way.

Fair play to Leeds, they’ve played well tonight.  I think if they hadn’t it might’ve been one for us to be staring more at the league table.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Who was the 17 year old making his debut in defence?

I'd argue that the available players were very similar in both games

I apologise, that was the Cardiff away game. Around that time the number of injuries were confusing game per game.

Home to Ipswich it was obviously much easier as we were only without.... Tanner, McCrorie, Naismith, Vyner, James, Wells and Conway (from memory).

There may well have been more.... anyone? I actually believe it was 9?

The player availability was far worse for Pearson than Manning. FACT!

• Like 1