IGNORED

Points per game and League table since Manning took charge

Posted (edited)

Dunno whether the very latest table will be fully up however 1.28 PPG and 36% Win Ratio is a) Improving and b) Back to the levels of NP at time of sacking.

We could surpass 59 points, albeit one game at a time. Passing 60, perhaps even hitting 63-65 could be possible.

There are still significant shortcomings above Manning in respect of the hierarchy.

For comparison Manning has now hit the same levels as NP in respect of points from respective games. Under NP we either had +3 from 14 or +5 but NP and Fleming took us to +5.

For comparison 2, Sunderland, Norwich, Stoke Away yielded 4 points and Blackburn, Huddersfield, Rotherham 7 last year.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Dunno whether the very latest table will he fully up however 1.28 PPG and 36% Win Ratio is a) Improving and b) Back to the levels of NP at time of sacking.

We could surpass 59 points, albeit one game at a time. Passing 60, perhaps even hitting 63-65 could be possible.

There are still significant shortcomings above Manning in respect of the hierarchy.

For comparison Manning has now hit the same levels as NP in respect of points from respective games. Under NP we either had +3 from 14 or +5 but NP and Fleming took us to +5.

For comparison 2, Sunderland, Norwich, Stoke Away yielded 4 points and Blackburn, Huddersfield, Rotherham 7 last year.

Thanks for the update mate 👍

I think it's fair to say that we expected that Pearson's ppg would have improved when injured players came back to fitness. Although I do think in hindsight we overestimated the impact that some players, such as McCrorie and Conway would make to our form. 

Manning has also had a difficult time with injuries. McCrorie came back and Tanner got injured. Sykes, all of a sudden a talisman for us, gets injured. Twine joins on loan and immediately gets injured. James and Williams at the same time etc etc.

I think the cup games were very impressive and mitigate the lack of improvement on the league form.

We're where I thought we might be in the league.

So, all in all, Manning has been fine.

That's my assessment so far; he's doing fine. Not saying he's done great as that would be am exaggeration, but he's clearly not as clueless and pathetic as much of the bile on social media has stated.

It would be lovely for all of us to see a strong end to the season now, just end on a relatively high note and get is us all exciting for next season...

...before the inevitable disappointment 🤣

• Like 4

And.... this is still Nige's team.

Let Manning bring in a few of his own players in the summer and then we can start to judge him properly.

The over the top criticism he has received has been unfair in my opinion.

I understand that many fans were unhappy with the way Nige was removed, but that was not Mannings fault. He is the manager of our football club and he deserves our support.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

And.... this is still Nige's team.

Let Manning bring in a few of his own players in the summer and then we can start to judge him properly.

The over the top criticism he has received has been unfair in my opinion.

I understand that many fans were unhappy with the way Nige was removed, but that was not Mannings fault. He is the manager of our football club and he deserves our support.

I agree on one level, absolutely most of the last 2 games have been much better. Performance and intent v Leicester was so different compared to the Swansea game especially. Plymouth had a flurry early on today but we got into it gradually and credit to Manning for the changes.

Manning will have brought some more time for sure, the hierarchy are a big issue in truth...He will likely be here come what may post season but the last 6 games are important to help to paint pictures, build confidence...it's too early to say we have turned the corner, that Manning is clearly the man but these are useful steps.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The table seems to have updated. Remember Leeds v Hull is still ongoing, Leicester v Southampton, Southampton v Preston both postponed, Coventry v Hull too.

Screenshot_20240401-213519_Chrome.thumb.jpg.10b00674de7ce2e5d8cd4abceafc57fa.jpg

14th. 9/25, 32 pts from 25..midtable or thereabouts.

19th, 22nd and 24th in that table to play at Home.

Good analysis. I am interested in this data and fair shout for keeping it rolling but at the end of the day, it's very much the same team apart from Twine, so mid table results are inevitable. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Good analysis. I am interested in this data and fair shout for keeping it rolling but at the end of the day, it's very much the same team apart from Twine, so mid table results are inevitable. 

I feel we could have done a bit better. Less injuries, perhaps less of an inevitable element of mid-season transition, with 2 slumps..there was the 1 win, 5 points from 6 games at the start too.

The element of chopping and changing hoping some mud sticks when pressure was on.

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Dunno whether the very latest table will be fully up however 1.28 PPG and 36% Win Ratio is a) Improving and b) Back to the levels of NP at time of sacking.

Thanks for sharing- it will be interesting to see how this ends up at the end of the season

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

36 points from 27 is it ? = 1.33PPG

And collectively 57 points from 42 = 1.35PPG

?????

As previously mentioned, it's the same squad (minus Twine) which is why the stats are so similar.

• Like 1

I just hope our recruitment team (which is not Liam, it's more Tins as we know) gets it right in the summer and we have a right go next season.

Some may get excited about our latest run. I'm not as oh boy, it was desperately needed to keep Liam in a job. We are where we are.

Same players, same results. Over to you now Brian to give Liam what he needs to improve...

• Like 6

We are trending in the right direction now, improving.

36 pts 27 games..1.33 PPG.

10 wins in those 27...37.04%.

Screenshot_20240410-232320_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e68e6bc10800fa84183d419120da733b.jpg

A positive GD in the period is also a useful indicator.

Not getting carried away but certainly some positive indicators of late. When we press more we are a better side.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We are trending in the right direction now, improving.

36 pts 27 games..1.33 PPG.

10 wins in those 27...37.04%.

Screenshot_20240410-232320_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e68e6bc10800fa84183d419120da733b.jpg

A positive GD in the period is also a useful indicator.

Not getting carried away but certainly some positive indicators of late. When we press more we are a better side.

I think he stills needs us to pick up another 7 points this season 

• Like 2

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd hope we go for 9 but 7 would suffice yes.

We usually lose at Norwich but if we are in one of our decent runs.win the next 2 Home Games then perhaps we can go to Stoke and send them down.

Calm yourself! After Southampton (there I said it lol) we all got excited about the upcoming games against QPR and Wednesday and promptly capitulated. Let’s not jinx anything 😂

Once more we remain bumping along the middle under Manning.

Screenshot_20240414-014004_Chrome.thumb.jpg.12b207deed53fa9d562b358896dedb73.jpg

Not a disaster but no great leap forward thusfar. 2 wins in the last year of 3 and we more or less claw back to parity.

Absolutely better than the strategic picture going into the Swansea game and even arguably the March International break but it has a ceiling to date.

Still improving in respect of the position but remember Sheffield Wednesday play tomorrow and tbis is prior to the game QPR are currently playing.

QPR v Preston currently 1-0 to the hosts so heading to 11th. Possibly 2 or 3 points light on where we might be.

However performances out of the last 6 such as Leicester, Blackburn, Norwich and even in some ways Plymouth are reasons for some positivity.

Screenshot_20240420-182858_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6d6fae6bd14677406e172dc823875891.jpg

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Still improving in respect of the position but remember Sheffield Wednesday play tomorrow and tbis is prior to the game QPR are currently playing.

QPR v Preston currently 1-0 to the hosts so heading to 11th. Possibly 2 or 3 points light on where we might be.

However performances out of the last 6 such as Leicester, Blackburn, Norwich and even in some ways Plymouth are reasons for some positivity.

¹

You would hope we could bag 4 more points and that record would be acceptable. 

1 minute ago, mozo said:

You would hope we could bag 4 more points and that record would be acceptable. 

4 more points would be reasonable, being s bit greedy 6 but yes 4 will be aok- it will maintain the level.

We have had two especially poor runs under Manning, maybe 2 especially poor and 1 suspect. Otoh this is a strong run, so too was the run in December of 10/4 and 2 wins gave us an opening in mid February..then alas.

Really interesting one, taking into account the injuries and our relatively small squad in the first place can we expect much more? 1.3-1.4 points per game  is probably just behind playoff pace and we’ve had obvious chances to pick up more which we’ve squandered. 

I know people like to bring up the “top 6 squad comments” and the board should be held accountable for making them but i don’t think that should be hung over LMs head. For his first season at this level, on just a points basis I actually think that’s quite good, disregarding the actual football being played which will be more subjective. 

At this stage I feel he’s earnt the opportunity to show what he can do after a full pre season and some of his own signings. With Naismith, Atkinson, Benarous, Bell, Bird and stokes plus a couple of real quality signings i’m quietly optimistic about next season. In saying that we will undoubtedly finish 11th 😂

Edited by George Rs
  • Flames 1

Posted (edited)

We're doing okay now IMO, sometimes sketchy sequences of performances and or results especially 5he latter can occur when you make a mid-season change and the new man has his own ideas.

That is priced in to an extent, the last 6 games has had 3, perhaps even 4 performances I suspect most are happy with.

The real hit was that 2ne run just after the Middlesbrough and Southampton wins, an unexpected lease of life for the season- far from an easy League but you can afford one ropey one, perhaps 1 and a bit but..yet had we scored first v say QPR and Cardiff and perhaps we do win one or both.

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

4 more points would be reasonable, being s bit greedy 6 but yes 4 will be aok- it will maintain the level.

We have had two especially poor runs under Manning, maybe 2 especially poor and 1 suspect. Otoh this is a strong run, so too was the run in December of 10/4 and 2 wins gave us an opening in mid February..then alas.

4 more points would mean we finish the season with a 2ppg average from the last 8 matches, which is a strong finish, and something to build on next season. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

A few of us heard he was told he had to get 12 points from the last 8 games to keep his job.

He’s managed it in 6, fair play to him.

Indeed.

Sat here tonight, not that it really matters, I think he’s earned the chance to take us into the summer.  How big of me! 😉

To explain (all imho), I think there’s been enough from the turn in performances since Easter to think we aren’t gonna revert to the turgid stuff that for me was more the norm than the Southampton / FA Cup games / performances.

There are still some concerns, but if we carry on with the bit more intent shown, taking opportunities to win the ball high-up for example then I think Leicester, Blackburn and today are more representative of how we will play than Sunderland on reflection.  I think playing Knight deeper is more the causation than Twine which is correlation.  I felt Knight did an admirable job playing the role he did, but he’s much more effective for the team playing from a deeper role.

So, I’m out of “sack Manning” territory.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed.

Sat here tonight, not that it really matters, I think he’s earned the chance to take us into the summer.  How big of me! 😉

To explain (all imho), I think there’s been enough from the turn in performances since Easter to think we aren’t gonna revert to the turgid stuff that for me was more the norm than the Southampton / FA Cup games / performances.

There are still some concerns, but if we carry on with the bit more intent shown, taking opportunities to win the ball high-up for example then I think Leicester, Blackburn and today are more representative of how we will play than Sunderland on reflection.  I think playing Knight deeper is more the causation than Twine which is correlation.  I felt Knight did an admirable job playing the role he did, but he’s much more effective for the team playing from a deeper role.

So, I’m out of “sack Manning” territory.

I love this post Dave :worship2:

All aboard Mozo's Happy Clappy Bus! :city:

Next stop: Misplaced Optimism Parkway. :whistle: