IGNORED

Tinnion Speaks!

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair, yeah we had to make them work for it and we wholly failed to do so.

Vs QPR relative to the opposition, thought their lead was against the run of play a bit but the triple substition wow did we collapse thereafter, our shape, cohesion. Chaos and in a negative sense.

Since Mr Manning has come in we have started turning backward when a ball forward was a better option. The players seem obsessed with not being the one blamed for losing the football. Thus we are turgid. 

I’m not really sure what Manningball amounts to except keep the ball as long as you can before you inevitably lose it. Teams love playing us because we play football in front of them until they can break. It’s simply speaking……rubbish. 

The utter nonsense I was reading a few months ago that you could see the improvements in some areas was the stuff of nightmares. It’s as if some were trying to convince each other that they were as smart as Mr Manning. 😂 

Newsflash he’s not that smart. Thats why two clubs in the bottom three beat us. Cardiff knew they only had to score once. The guy at Ipswich changed things in a way that Mr Manning could only dream of. 

So here are we both taking part in threads hoping the bottom teams get beaten 😂 

You know none of that is aimed at you as we obviously respect each others posts and I know your views on Manning! But I just needed a rant. 

The Emperor needs new clothes for tomorrow that’s for sure. 👍🏿 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, Natchfever said:

Inherited.

The academy now has been at a level of organisation and performance that its not been that in probably for ever, to say that it hasn’t improved under the guidance of tinnion, regardless of what you might think of him now, is disingenuous 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Joseph James - Weimann talked him through the whole game.

Which was brilliant, but reduced our offensive play down that side.

I remember being proud of the display and upset that Cardiff got a second.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Stewart’s legs had gone but at least he did want to be here.

Bridges completely took the piss, seen out clubbing after games when he was “injured”. Waster.

Tinnion’s signings were largely disastrous, Alex Russell was decent & a proper manager (GJ) turned Orr into an outstanding RB, Tinnion would never have done that.

‘Largely disastrous’

Despite signing Steve Brooker for a bargain 225k and pairing him alongside Lita - 45 goals between them in 2004/05.

Also fast tracked David Cotterill through the academy who we sold to Wigan for 2m in 2005, and also gave Scott Goldbourne his chance.

Orr, Russell, and the underrated Heffernan as well.

This thread should be called Brian Revisionism    

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

The academy now has been at a level of organisation and performance that its not been that in probably for ever, to say that it hasn’t improved under the guidance of tinnion, regardless of what you might think of him now, is disingenuous 

BT because academy director in October 2021, before that it was Gary Probert. Scott, Semenyo, etc were already part of the first team squad.

Not saying he doesn't deserve credit for work there but nowhere near enough to see him promoted to where he is now...

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

How long ? 

Genuine question as I thought the fella poached away delivered the current batch of first teamers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RSW8 said:

What’s the complete and utter obsession with this Southampton game? We won and played well, that’s why the fans were happy that night. That’s what football is all about about, watching your team win and play well. But it was one win for gods sake. Need to get their heads out of their backsides and address the current position instead of all this ‘everyone was happy when we beat Southampton’ nonsense. 

We’ll probably release the shirt we played in that night in 30 years time by the sounds of it. 

I don’t know what’s more frustrating the interview itself or the feeling of frustration that I knew they’d come out trying to spin a yard around positive progress. We will remain in the doldrums until Tinnion is suitably replaced. 

1 minute ago, The Humble Realist said:

Criticise tinnions post playing career all you like 

Thanks. I will. He manoeuvred his way into a managerial job he was totally out of his depth in and took a side who were in the playoffs to a desperate state within 15 months. That record should have ruled him out of any job in football at a senior level, let alone a higher ranked job at a higher level where he showed no aptitude to deserve it and only got it once more due to politicking as opposed to anything else.

The man’s not just incompetent. Hes delusional. And rampantly egotistical.

I could say more, but again, thanks for the invite

1 minute ago, The Humble Realist said:

but in regards to his playing career comments like 'dining off 1 goal in 1994' either never saw his playing career for us or are talking rubbish.

I watched all of Tinnions time at the club. He wouldn’t touch my best ever side. A large number of appearances for a club does not make a club “legend” - it makes, when that player is spending the majority of that time at league one, them an average or below average footballer. He may not have wanted to move for “personal” reasons but the fact remains he was a limited player. Great left foot, very one paced. Poor in the tackle. Dont confuse time served and time well paid for with being a great player.

Like it or not, without that one goal he’s a footnote. And without it, he in no way weasels his way back into a job he can’t do.

• Like 10
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, AG City said:

‘Largely disastrous’

Despite signing Steve Brooker for a bargain 225k and pairing him alongside Lita - 45 goals between them in 2004/05.

Also fast tracked David Cotterill through the academy who we sold to Wigan for 2m in 2005, and also gave Scott Goldbourne his chance.

Orr, Russell, and the underrated Heffernan as well.

This thread should be called Brian Revisionism    

Matt Heywood, Grant Smith, Dave Partridge, Tony ******* Dinning, Jamie Smith, Bridges, Mark Goodfellow, Joe Keith,  I notice you don’t mention any of them?

As has been said took over a side that made the playoffs two years running under Wilson & didn’t.

The next season saw us hammered 7-1 by Swansea, totally out of his depth.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Matt Heywood, Grant Smith, Dave Partridge, Tony ******* Dinning, Jamie Smith, Bridges, Mark Goodfellow, Joe Keith,  I notice you don’t mention any of them?

As has been said took over a side that made the playoffs two years running under Wilson & didn’t.

The next season saw us hammered 7-1 by Swansea, totally out of his depth.

Goodfellow was under Wilson?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Humble Realist said:

Criticise tinnions post playing career all you like but in regards to his playing career comments like 'dining off 1 goal in 1994' either never saw his playing career for us or are talking rubbish.

Yep, and this is where it moves beyond genuine, legitimate criticism of his current work to just inventing stuff to slag him off about. That's not right.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Because he's still living off 1 goal in 1994, he has nothing else

Yeah this is a bit far. As a player he was so much more than that, and he has been responsible for the improvement of our academy. He’s got a number of strikes in the negative column, but yeah this statement is so wide of the mark.

I honestly believe, can only believe, he’s been sent out to do this interview because he’s off. 

He’s been absolutely silent and M.I.A for too long. On the back of a very bad run of very bad performances, I really think the puppet master (SL) in the background, has said get BT out there because anything other than 3 points on Sunday he and LM are on their way. 

It is too weird to hear from him now at this point… and I will say I’ve said quite some times I thought tomorrow would be the end of the road for him and Manning. This stinks too much from me as the board saying ‘get out there and appease the fans’ whilst in the background thinking ‘that’s him gone too’. 

BT in his naivety probably thinks he’s been sent out to give LM the dreaded ‘vote of confidence’ from the board level, but doesn’t realise he’s actually been sent out because he will be blamed for backing him and they both go. 

It seems pretty bloody blatant to me. 

Edited by 38MC
  • Hmmm 1

It's become default for many to have a go at Tinnion for everything ranging from recruitment to global warming. Some of it is far too aggressive and personal. It's easy to do that online when the same name-calling wouldn't be said face to face, at least I'd hope not.   I understand the context and I was disappointed when Pearson, Fleming and Rennie were sacked.  But Tinnion has done a great job for the Club in many ways from his playing career to developing academy players and, out of the heat of the moment, I think a bit of balance is useful.  

Loans

Loaning developing players is the right policy. It's advocated and put into practice by Tinnion and Nige was against it.  The loans were the making of Pring, Vyner and Semenyo.  As for Yeboah he's a good prospect but was too raw for Championship football and that's not surprising at 17. A loan is the best move.  Nige was reluctant to loan players out and I think that was wrong.  That said, I liked his approach to only loaning players in if there was a chance they would become permanent signings.  I think that approach is continuing although I agree Mebude was not what we needed and I suspect that was a Manning rather than Tinnion initiative.

The academy

The way Tinnion has run the academy has been impressive and we witnessed the fruits of that with so many academy players coming through and the success of the under-18s last week.

Recruitment

Recruitment,  I think he is doing a decent job here within the restrictions he is under. Stokes and Murphy look great prospects.  He was in for Ali Al-Hamadi and Finn Azaz and missed out. He can't be blamed for that. We got Twine on loan late in the day which was the best option under the circumstances.  These all look exciting attack-minded players within the market we are looking at. We have also picked up Bird who looks a great prospect.   I do think Tinnion can spot a player and I like his approach to focusing on emerging talent with flair rather than the LJ clubs in the bag policy.

Playing career

To say Tinnion wasn't a terrific player for us for so many years is just making up stuff to meet a hate-filled agenda. Anyone who watched him in the 2002 -2003 season ping pin-point passes from left midfield to Murray to cut in from the right and onto knows that. A lot of the 26 goals scored by Scott in that season were down to Tins. 

Current role

Has he made a mistake in his managerial selection?  Quite possibly, but it is too early to judge.  Tinnion wanted front-foot attacking football and got a build from the back, possession-based coach for a squad that isn't suited to that approach.  I was in the Manning out camp after the style of the losses (aside from Ipswich) as I can be as fickle as any other fan but, looking at things more dispassionately, I think we will be safe this year, recruit well in the summer and have a decent season next year.  I think Manning is a bit more flexible than I thought and it looks like he will start with both Conway and Wells v Swansea.  A bit late in the day admittedly.

Next season

We do need a goal-scoring number 9 (as Tinnion has identified) and there are big decisions to be made on Williams, James and King.  Along with Weiman's departure the loss of these senior pros if they go needs careful planning whether they choose to retain (unlikely) or replace. They have been great role models for the younger players and James is missed in results and performance when he is unavailable. I know the arguments on why it's unlikely, but I think it's essential King is added to the first-team coaching staff.  From the interviews, he gets a lot of praise from Manning so I wouldn't rule it out.  Richard Gould was a big loss and someone of his ilk rather than Gavin Marshall to support Tins would be a good move. I don't see that happening but I still think that a few of us (me included) might be eating humble pie next season in terms of playing success.

• Hmmm 1

10 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

Criticise tinnions post playing career all you like but in regards to his playing career comments like 'dining off 1 goal in 1994' either never saw his playing career for us or are talking rubbish.

Hes not a legend either which I see trotted out regularly like thats an excuse for him being promoted way beyond his capabilities.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thanks. I will. He manoeuvred his way into a managerial job he was totally out of his depth in and took a side who were in the playoffs to a desperate state within 15 months. That record should have ruled him out of any job in football at a senior level, let alone a higher ranked job at a higher level where he showed no aptitude to deserve it and only got it once more due to politicking as opposed to anything else.

I watched all of Tinnions time at the club. He wouldn’t touch my best ever side. A large number of appearances for a club does not make a club “legend” - it makes, when that player is spending the majority of that time at league one, them an average or below average footballer. He may not have wanted to move for “personal” reasons but the fact remains he was a limited player. Great left foot, very one paced. Poor in the tackle. Dont confuse time served and time well paid for with being a great player.

Like it or not, without that one goal he’s a footnote. And without it, he in no way weasels his way back into a job he can’t do.

Poor in the tackle or frightened of a tackle?

11 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

Saw his career, a 3rd division midfielder who like to ping a long ball to the flank,

Then stabbed Wilson in the back to get the managers job

Rightly sacked

Came back to the club stabbed various people in the back to get promoted to finally settling Pearson in the back to bring in manning

The man has tainted any legacy he had at this club

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Saw his career, a 3rd division midfielder who like to ping a long ball to the flank,

Then stabbed Wilson in the back to get the managers job

Rightly sacked

Came back to the club stabbed various people in the back to get promoted to finally settling Pearson in the back to bring in manning

The man has tainted any legacy he had at this club

27 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Hes not a legend either which I see trotted out regularly like thats an excuse for him being promoted way beyond his capabilities.

He was a good player for us, but also lacked ambition you could argue, comfortable in local area, nice place to play football, same as nice comfy job in playing retirement. This is part of the problem Nige was trying to sort, remember him saying what a strange club we were. Forest Green wanted him and that is the level.

11 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Exactly. He was hardly bloody Pirlo in the middle like some portray him. He was also blessed with bloody good front foot, fast wingers that he could sit deep and play for them to run on too rather than playing precision, to foot, football.

I don’t ever really remember him being linked with a move away from us or to a bigger club, which I think says a lot. 

Edited by 38MC
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Because he's still living off 1 goal in 1994, he has nothing else

Ridiculous comment.  

BT (the player) was a legend (in footballing terms) for this club and always will be. 

Appreciate there are strong feelings about him now in his current role but that's out of order.

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I say this as someone who’s spent the past few months nodding along in agreement to pretty much everything you’ve posted - to describe a player with more than 500 appearances for our club and a genuine trier as a “footnote” is slightly pathetic.

Like you, I think the current position he holds is a joke. After a truly disastrous spell as manager why we thought promoting him to the level above that was a good idea heaven knows. It’s very “us”.

Incompetent, delusional and rampantly egotistical? By all means. We’ll be better off when he’s no longer in his current post.

But let’s not discredit that argument by pretending his playing career was a “footnote”.

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

47 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I say this as someone who’s spent the past few months nodding along in agreement to pretty much everything you’ve posted - to describe a player with more than 500 appearances for our club and a genuine trier as a “footnote” is slightly pathetic.

Like you, I think the current position he holds is a joke. After a truly disastrous spell as manager why we thought promoting him to the level above that was a good idea heaven knows. It’s very “us”.

Incompetent, delusional and rampantly egotistical? By all means. We’ll be better off when he’s no longer in his current post.

But let’s not discredit that argument by pretending his playing career was a “footnote”.

Acknowledged. Probably the wrong word - broader point is I don’t really consider him a legend - he was a decent enough league one player who stayed either because that was his level or because he was comfortable. I don’t think he gets elevated to “legend” status without that goal which I think is the point I was slightly clumsily trying to make.

(There is a broader conversation of what constitutes a club “legend” which this probably isn’t the place for!)

• Like 3