IGNORED

Front foot

NickJ

2 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

You don’t think Sykes and Roberts changed the game then? 

And you don’t think Sykes should start right wing over Harry cornick? Or that knight shouldn’t be a false 10 with 2 strikers on the pitch? Or that Roberts for Pring after an hour was handed on a plate after Tuesday, or King to come on? 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness Cornick did well enough on Tuesday to keep his place.

He didn’t really get much chance in a poor team performance at the point he came off.  I felt sorry for him.

The sad thing is...Cornick is being played for his defensive contribution on the right, rather than his striking ability. Says it all imo.

• Like 5

Our best performances under manning have all come from games in which motivating the players was a formality, cup games live on tv, under the lights on tv v top sides in the league (barring Leeds who outclassed us). That makes my mind up that those results were not down to “time on the grass” at the HPC, or clever tactics, but our most talented players taking ownership and making things happen. Manning, seemingly, cannot demand/get this from them via his leadership style - makes me believe he is out of his depth. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, wasn’t trying to second guess Manning, and as you say he seems to try to counter out opponent rather than impose our game on them.

Hmmm.... 

...who does that remind you of, Dave? 🤔

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, NickJ said:

My arse.

Never been so bored.

I was thinking what is the opposite of High Press?  No Press whatsoever.

Cunning of Swansea to deploy that forcefield that meant we couldn't tackle them in their half and needed to stand about 30ft distant of their defence. They obviously "let the shield" down for about 10 minutes in the second, when we had our three little attacks which led to a goal.

Seriously, though, quite agree.  It was anti-football.

Luckily Swansea were even worse and couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.  I might have to wait many years before I see another side who manage to give away a throw in trying to take a short corner. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Which is a step backwards imo . Seems a negative thing to do 

Yes, in his post-match interview, his first thought was his “block”.  

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

Hmmm.... 

...who does that remind you of, Dave? 🤔

Please don’t!  

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I was thinking what is the opposite of High Press?  No Press whatsoever.

Cunning of Swansea to deploy that forcefield that meant we couldn't tackle them in their half and needed to stand about 30ft distant of their defence. They obviously "let the shield" down for about 10 minutes in the second, when we had our three little attacks which led to a goal.

Seriously, though, quite agree.  It was anti-football.

Luckily Swansea were even worse and couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.  I might have to wait many years before I see another side who manage to give away a throw in trying to take a short corner. 

Yep, pure block.

It was training session / no contact stuff…this is how we shape-shift across the pitch.

We didn’t even go 424 like pre-Ipswich, but 442 again.

IMG_2731.thumb.jpeg.b1d8d2f8833de73a964dc769d0caf0fa.jpeg

Swansea keeper or Grimes helping to allow their CBs to split.  Imagine knowing exactly how Luke Williams would play but not being able to come up with anything better than this!

That was my biggest frustration.

And apologies to the Lansdown stand after 35 mins when I got too “emotional” and shouted at Manning to do something.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Please don’t!  

Yep, pure block.

It was training session / no contact stuff…this is how we shape-shift across the pitch.

Swansea keeper or Grimes helping to allow their CBs to split.  Imagine knowing exactly how Luke Williams would play but not being able to come up with anything better than this!

And apologies to the Lansdown stand after 35 mins when I got too “emotional” and shouted at Manning to do something.

You shouted ‘do something’ Dave? Steady on there chief 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Please don’t!  

Yep, pure block.

The question is did he get emotional after you shouted at him 😂 

Thought the first half especially was quite sleep inducing.

Delighted with the win and clean sheet, but it will count for nothing if we cannot start to build on it in respect of performances.

Otoh as we knew in November, winning games can buy time to implement new ideas- perhaps ideas that build on the solid base and try to improve areas that aren't so strong.

3 hours ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Our best performances under manning have all come from games in which motivating the players was a formality, cup games live on tv, under the lights on tv v top sides in the league (barring Leeds who outclassed us). That makes my mind up that those results were not down to “time on the grass” at the HPC, or clever tactics, but our most talented players taking ownership and making things happen. Manning, seemingly, cannot demand/get this from them via his leadership style - makes me believe he is out of his depth. 

Having heard his press conferences would Manning inspire you?

Nope thought not and I can’t see him inspiring the players either. Instead it would seem that he overloads them with information, rather than setting up a team of players playing in their best positions and in a formation that best suits them, then encouraging them to play their natural game.

Not so much “coached” as inhibited!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

We were constantly on the front foot mid week

We really weren’t.  For most of the first half we were back foot, blocking, let’s contain Ipswich mode.  Even the head coach said that.

Youre being swayed by the fact that we went ahead twice, and did play some better stuff in the second half for a spell.

Edited by Davefevs

4th equal best defence in terms of goals conceded. 6th equal worst attack in terms of goals scored. You can see where the problems lie and it’s not at the back. We are not a front foot team as set up by Manning and we struggle to make goal-scoring chances.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

4th equal best defence in terms of goals conceded. 6th equal worst attack in terms of goals scored. You can see where the problems lie and it’s not at the back. We are not a front foot team as set up by Manning and we struggle to make goal-scoring chances.

I've had a look at some relatively basic stats.

Dead middling once an average of all 4 taken.

Shots For

15th

Shots Conceded/Against

11th

XG For

18th

XG Against

10th

Non Penalty XG For

19th

Non Penalty XG Against

8th

That tells a story. Literally 13th-14th range.

I should also add our Penalties against is certainly high relative to our XG and or Shots Against. The Dickie one v Watford was gift-wrapped. The Southampton one was inconsequential.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've had a look at some relatively basic stats.

Dead middling once an average of all 4 taken.

Shots For

15th

Shots Conceded/Against

11th

XG For

18th

XG Against

10th

Non Penalty XG For

19th

Non Penalty XG Against

8th

That tells a story. Literally 13th-14th range.

I should also add our Penalties against is certainly high relative to our XG and or Shots Against. The Dickie one v Watford was gift-wrapped. The Southampton one was inconsequential.

image.thumb.png.ddf6847d49dc7791c28dc839d1431e74.png

fill her boots!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Your stats defo more advanced, I was using a slightly more basic Model- FBRef.

Doesn't split by manager either and metrics definitely feel like they've worsened of late.

If you go to:

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/08/championship-stats-2023-24-opta/

you’ll see the latest data which I source every game.  I run a delta process to split the per game stuff.

Possession style:

image.png.622df81556784cdd891704541feded51.png

Press / Block style:

image.png.06b520b1568782c5bd779a835b375f2d.png

Chances for:

image.png.6fd4ae657d3b41ed220b04815745adbc.png

Chances against:

image.png.7a0d932a7efa646cfbbc4e6d770d6515.png

Shot trends:

image.png.e35c2d0b12b7037a939460881f235e66.png

• Thanks 1