IGNORED

Tinnion on SotC

1960maaan

24 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Manning is an atrocious appointment. But I don't have anything against the bloke personally. He's far too boring to extract any such reaction. 

But he needs to go. Tinnion needs to go. 

But above and beyond all else, the Lansdowns need to go.

I wouldn't have an issue with the Lansdowns if JL was made Chairman of the Flyers and Fever Pitch but removed from BCFC Chairmanship, and Tinnion sacked. 

Appoint Mark Warburton to be Director of Football, Pearson as Manager, and appoint Gavin Marshall as Chairman as the only other current active Director on the board - https://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/bristol-sport-group-confirms-new-board-roles-for-kelly-and-marshall/. Horseman back in as Head of Youth Development. Let them then proceed to get on with it, plan for the rest of the season and the summer and kick on next season.

Don't interfere, just set the budgets (i.e. £5m limit plus player trading, use available wage budget after James, King, and other contracts finish, wage caps (if felt necessary to avoid an MA repeat) and aims. Step back. Don't leave it to two people completely under-qualified for the task at hand.

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

But thats the problem, the reality is no matter what he said those on here who are against BT / LM / JL /SL, will find fault and say why did he say that

I thought it was a fair interview with difficult questions at a difficult time for the club. He did not have to go on, but whatever he said is going to be twisted and taken apart on here.

Out of interest, assuming you’ve listened, what do you think has been twisted?  And if not twisted, but perhaps wrong assumption made (and not corrected), what wrong assumptions have been made?

By all means correct wrong assertions, but I’m interested in what you believe was twisted.

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Average of 25 is a young squad.  Only two squads in the Prem (Chelsea and Burnley) have an average age below 25.

B*gger 😂

Even if it is young I don't see why that should be used as an excuse for failure unless it's notably young and unless we know that young squads always fail. They don't. There's not a lot of correlation, let alone causation, between squad age and points.

It's a paper-thin excuse even if it is true (which it isn't).

I'm not angry with you. Sorry. Shouldn't get snappy.

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Did he actually say he thinks he's earned the right to be in the position he is in? Please tell me he didnt? 

He did.

I’ve been out at training post interview so haven’t really had chance to summarise my thoughts here until now.

There is an argument that he was showing passion for the club at stages, but the bottom line it was a very defensive performance. One of his first lines was almost giving his CV and how he can justify being in the job he’s in (30 years mentioned a few times) - immediate sign of being under pressure and he knows it.

As I said above, I didn’t have a huge issue on the where we’d want to be in a year (although it contradicts what was said on LMs appointment) - it was just poorly worded.

The double standards applied through the interview were astounding. The example of Coventry not being a comparable because they’d sold players and spent was staggering as we chose not to spend having had a similar windfall - which everyone has said is the issue. Similarly defending LM due to injuries when NP was sacked in those circumstances was gobsmacking.

He took a long time to confirm or deny if he was involved in appointing LM, instead going on a Segway around how players are recruited. I may have missed it but I don’t think he ever gave an absolute other than he was consulted (noting that IG has said he wasn’t involved), and the McKenna example was bizarre and has been proven to be incorrect. It makes me wonder what he thought he was getting - he just sees young coach with Ipswich links as opposed to looking at anything else - Manning is no more McKenna than he is Sam Allardyce.

The narrative he’s leaning into (as has Liam) of things being great post Southampton (did we beat them?) is tiresome as it disregards the league results between Watford and Boro. Things weren’t great - they were on a general regression.

The youth cup stuff about not playing them in the U21s was interesting but seemed to be both an attempt by Tinnion to own the success (I said we’re going to do this) and to give a wafer thin excuse for the poor bench. Bottom line is if Yeboah can go to Bath on loan and play in the youth cup then Joseph James (for example) can bench for first team and play youth cup.

As has been said, revealing the fees/transfer talk was interesting but unprofessional. The U21s on loan was pretty much as expected with the statement that for some their chance had gone (HWR, Idehen, possibly OTC)

Overall it came over as pretty tetchy, contradictory and a bit unprofessional. But lots of thanking the Lansdowns so on some ways job done!

• Like 5
  • Flames 4

What Tinnion failed to acknowledge was Pearson had us top 6 before a ball was even kicked this season!

I was planning on listening to this predictable nonsense at some point but it’s been so well summarised by many on here I no longer have to put myself through it. Thanks anyone who took one for the team!

Those of you who will continue to show blind faith in this shambles of a club, I hope you enjoy the ride. I’m getting off on this stop. Hoping to be back on when it passes back through, minus those pulling the strings currently.

Any recommendations for proper local football to watch on Saturday afternoons?

• Like 4
  • Flames 5

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

I wouldn't have an issue with the Lansdowns if JL was made Chairman of the Flyers and Fever Pitch but removed from BCFC Chairmanship, and Tinnion sacked. 

Appoint Mark Warburton to be Director of Football, Pearson as Manager, and appoint Gavin Marshall as Chairman as the only other current active Director on the board - https://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/bristol-sport-group-confirms-new-board-roles-for-kelly-and-marshall/. Horseman back in as Head of Youth Development. Let them then proceed to get on with it, plan for the rest of the season and the summer and kick on next season.

Don't interfere, just set the budgets (i.e. £5m limit plus player trading, use available wage budget after James, King, and other contracts finish, wage caps (if felt necessary to avoid an MA repeat) and aims. Step back. Don't leave it to two people completely under-qualified for the task at hand.

Perfectly sensible. 

And I live in a yellow ****ing submarine.

Interesting changing of goalposts by the club.  What a shock. 

They all got it so easy haven't they. All nice and cushy for them. 

Mid table is the very best we can realistically expect with these total clowns at the club. 

It's like they don't want to progress. Otherwise it hardly makes any sense to get rid of Pearson. 

Managed about 8 minutes and had to turn it off. What a load of shite.

We were never 3 points off the playoffs during that period, Boro are a ******* midtable team so we are they rubbing themselves silly over us beating them 2-1???

We do not have a young squad. By any stretch of the imagination. Rob Dickie wasn’t the oldest player on the pitch on Sunday. Cornick was (almost 29). These 2 will be our senior pros next year, not exactly a ‘woe is me’ statement is it. 

What a ******* moron. Let him back to running the academy or bridging the gap between 21s and first team, and appoint 2/3 people into senior first team ops roles. He is clearly out of depth and massively scrambling/making shit up to get himself out the shit, about a year into a job and absolutely rattled after shit hitting the fan for the first time. Not a good look. 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 10
  • Flames 5

19 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

How do you square away the basic factual mistakes he made? 

Disclosing transfer fees ok “as he’s learning”? 

I absolutely WILL find fault with what they say, because the 3 clowns running the show are taking the piss out of us.  I’ll also praise them if and when they get something right, which in my view has been a long time. 

We the fans are stakeholders of the club, regardless of the din view the hierarchy have on football fans. So dam right I’ll call out this twattery. If this forum is anything, it’s a place to vent. 

The only member of the goon show I will give a measure of patience to is the mood hoover Manning, because despite his dour demeanour he needs time to prove himself. For better or worse, we’ll see how that pans out. 

Manning will be given time, BUT the Lansdowns have had time and we as City fans have ended up here in what is fast becoming embarrassing. If change does not happen, Div 1 is staring this football club in the face next season.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

I’d agree about TC but better people than me accept it’s about lack of service. I think to be fare to Pring I don’t think you can say a shadow on last season. There was Interest in him early season and he was great up until his injury. 
  I agree players have to take some responsibility, but trying to explain why quite a few players are under performing, is difficult and seems to be more than individual player problems. 

No one said pring was underperforming after the west ham games, i think the work load has gradually caught up with him, and lads like vyner, dickie and knight too have put a lot into this season.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, redkev said:

But these two have been very poor this season , I’m not defending manning one bit , but TC wants out personally I still think he has much more to learn before he kicks on , pring looks a shadow of last season , surely some responsibility has to lie at the door of the players aswell , not everything is mannings fault ( though quite a lot is ) 

TC wants out because be never sees the ball., he never gets chances .. if he wanted to just run chasing something else, he'd appear on gladiator. He spent all his football life doing things to get to this stage, and now being told he's doing it all wrong and has to change (some pathway), by a manager who is learning on the job no less, and one who has a philosophy that plays to his weaknesses not his strengths 

LM has bought the worst out of TC, he'll leave and he'll score goals. I have never been fully convinced by TC yet, i mean his career is all ahead of him, but i do not blame him for wanting to leave.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Bottom line is if Yeboah can go to Bath on loan and play in the youth cup then Joseph James (for example) can bench for first team and play youth cup.

Just on this, I’ll say Yeboah missed the 2 Bath games before the youth cup game to allow him to be with the 18’s squad. Bath have obviously taken him on the knowledge of the youth cup factor and Jerry Gill was probably privately hoping we got knocked out as he’ll probably miss more in the run up to Man City game. 

Edited by Lrrr
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

"young squad". This is the average age of players used by each team this season. We're bang mid-table and some of the squads younger than ours are flying and older than us are going down to L1.

Screenshot_20240311-210429.png

That’s really interesting so Leeds and Southampton’s average, younger than ours 🤔

Just now, fisherrich said:

Manning will be given time, BUT the Lansdowns have had time and we as City fans have ended up here in what is fast becoming embarrassing. If change does not happen, Div 1 is staring this football club in the face next season.

It's nailed on. 

I'm convinced of it.

Try selling up then, Lansdown. 

Best take the best offer you can now.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Red from afar said:

I stick to my guns when I said early in the season, if they bought 2 or 3 decent solid players at this level in the summer in the right positions we'd be close to the playoffs, if not just inside. Nothing I've seen from the other teams below the top 4 (and maybe West Brom), has made me change my mind

They didn't have to be spectacular, just good pros who fitted our style of play. It was pure pettiness that stopped that happening and now they've set us back a couple of seasons again.

I'll take this one further. Assuming they just didn't like him, it could have gone;

'Nige wants 2/3 players for these positions, says they need strengthening', 'ok, what do you reckon', 'well, he's right. I think we should sign them. If it goes well, his contract is expiring anyway and we can replace him from a strong position. If it doesn't go well, we'll have a good excuse to replace him and the next guy will have a squad with sufficient depth to push on with'

Just a thought.

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

No one said pring was underperforming after the west ham games, i think the work load has gradually caught up with him, and lads like vyner, dickie and knight too have put a lot into this season.

But every team has the same workload? Why should we be any different? We should be able to cope with getting knocked out of the cup in the 4th round. It’s just not a viable excuse.  

Just now, Lrrr said:

Just on this, I’ll say Yeboah missed the 2 Bath games previous to the youth cup game to allow him to be with the 18’s squad. Bath have obviously taken him on the knowledge of the youth cup factor and Jerry Gill was probably privately hoping we got knocked out as he’ll probably miss more in the run up to Man City game. 

FFS- don't let facts get in the way of the narrative- you'll get in big trubble.

23 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You do realise, BT could be the greatest orator going and what ever he said would be turned and used against him on here, 

Come on mate, we aren’t predisposed to dislike Tinnion. For eff’s sake he’s in recent memory’s one of our stalwarts from the playing days, he did get that goal at anfield, he did give us those memories and we all do and did want him to do well. No one, absolutely no one, from day zero could have wanted him to fail. And he took the plaudits for the academy and we were happy to heap praise on him. 

The tide has turned though again, just as it did when he was manager, and it’s not because he’s a bloody victim, it’s because he’s the wrong man in the wrong role and that’s the beginning middle and end of the story. 

Edited by 38MC
  • Like 12
  • Flames 2

Just finished listening to it on catch-up. I deliberately haven't read any of the comments on here before doing so and tried to approach it with as open a mind as I could.

The presenter did a better job than I was expecting. Not in Twentyman's league and there were some obvious follow-up questions that weren't asked, but it certainly wasn't the soft touch interview that I think we all feared and he didn't give him an easy ride.

Tinnion did not come across well, to put it mildly. I don't doubt that he cares deeply about the club and is trying to do his best, but he was defensive, occasionally bordering on snappy and bore all the hallmarks of somebody who deep down knows that he's been promoted beyond his capabilities despite the protestations to the contrary, and I think he is feeling the pressure.

That doesn't mean I disagree with everything he said and there were some useful bits in there, but the general tone was one of contradictions and goalpost shifting.

It sounds like Manning is going nowhere soon, but would anybody be that shocked if they had another change of heart? Of course that call may come from above Brian, depending on how much interest SL is showing.

• Like 14
  • Flames 2