IGNORED

Most normal club

DaveInSA

Aren’t we?

In the past year.

-We’ve axed the CEO role and sacked the manager brought in to stabilise the club.

-Sacked all his back room team too.

-Employed a technical director with no qualifications for the job.

-Employed a young coach who isn’t willing to acknowledge that we don’t have the players to fit his style.

-Inso-doing we’ve created the least capable team to oversee the next building phase of the club.

-Also by doing the above introduced massive risk.

-Prioritised the U18 cup over the first team.

-Signed 2 players on loan, at vast expense, who have played between them about 150 minutes.

-Sold our best creative talent and not replaced him.

-Decided that a big number 9 target man would score more goals than Tommy Conway, who (checks notes), has been told to stand around the 18 yard area and wait for the ball to be delivered on a silver platter for him to smack in the net.

-Divulged live on radio Bristol, undisclosed transfer fees - thus tarnishing our reputation as a discreet transfer dealing club.

-Changed our playing style to one which doesn’t suit our players, not realised this, and are playing the dullest brand of football you could ever wish to see.

like I said. Normal club.

• Like 4
  • Flames 6
  • Robin 1
  • Facepalm 2

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t know enough about how other Championship clubs are run by their owners. I’m happy tho that we aren’t Watford………..:cool2:

Yeah who’d want to be Watford compared to us eh? Who wants to have been in the top flight this century anyway! 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Aren’t we?

In the past year.

-We’ve axed the CEO role and sacked the manager brought in to stabilise the club.

-Employed a young coach who isn’t willing to acknowledge that we don’t have the players to fit his style.

-Inso-doing we’ve created the least capable team to oversee the next building phase of the club.

-Signed 2 players on loan, at vast expense, who have played between them about 150 minutes.

-Decided that a big number 9 target man would score more goals than Tommy Conway, who (checks notes), has been told to stand around the 18 yard area and wait for the ball to be delivered on a silver platter for him to smack in the net.

-Divulged live on radio Bristol, undisclosed transfer fees - thus tarnishing our reputation as a discreet transfer dealing club.

-Changed our playing style to one which doesn’t suit our players, not realised this, and are playing the dullest brand of football you could ever wish to see.

Not sure there is a normal club these days .

So much short term thinking and PR disasters - we should know !

Edited by Markthehorn

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

Yeah who’d want to be Watford compared to us eh? Who wants to have been in the top flight this century anyway! 

If the Lansdowns changed managers every 5 mins as Watford do - how happy would we as fans be?

Just now, Robbored said:

If the Lansdowns changed managers every 5 mins as Watford do - how happy would we as fans be?

If it delivered the stated aim of the last 25 years then I couldn’t give a monkeys.   

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tbf our fans were quite happy to see Ismael go and wish he had gone earlier .

Same with previous managers too ( and not all 20 were sacked ..)

Actually don’t think too many have gone with much dissatisfaction from supporters but everyone is different obviously.

Rob Edwards in hindsight I guess.

Pearson of course although if this tweet is anything to go by maybe divided again .

I think the main crux with the owners is their recruitment policy and fact we seem to be back to square one.

Edited by Markthehorn
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Aren’t we?

In the past year.

Some I agree with.

Some I disagree with.

Some I agree with the basic fact but feel you've embellished a little.

But, the end of it all is that at times I quite envy fans of a club like say - Grimsby - who have a well run outfit that makes rational decisions. They aren't always the correct decisions when hindsight is applied, but Stockwood respects his fanbase enough to explain them clearly and openly.

It says a lot that at times I'd much rather be in the League 2 relegation battle than where we are.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Some I agree with.

Some I disagree with.

Some I agree with the basic fact but feel you've embellished a little.

But, the end of it all is that at times I quite envy fans of a club like say - Grimsby - who have a well run outfit that makes rational decisions. They aren't always the correct decisions when hindsight is applied, but Stockwood respects his fanbase enough to explain them clearly and openly.

It says a lot that at times I'd much rather be in the League 2 relegation battle than where we are.

I'm with you on Stockwood. He comes across well in his occasional columns for the Guardian. I can't imagine anybody from our club writing such intelligent and thought provoking stuff.

What I like most about him though are the admirable values he has, a rare thing among football club owners. An important element for me to be proud of my club is its values. That was a key reason why I liked Gould, Pearson and his coaches and Rennie.

I don't see positive values in the club now, which is deeply depressing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

Tbf our fans were quite happy to see Ismael go and wish he had gone earlier .

Same with previous managers too ( and not all 20 were sacked ..)

Actually don’t think too many have gone with much dissatisfaction from supporters but everyone is different obviously.

Rob Edwards in hindsight I guess.

Pearson of course although if this tweet is anything to go by maybe divided again .

I think the main crux with the owners is their recruitment policy and fact we seem to be back to square one.

I would say (well I would wouldn't I) Watford could do worse.

If not promoted a bit of cost cutting maybe needed? Albeit it doesn't seem to be a disaster like what he inherited here.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would say (well I would wouldn't I) Watford could do worse.

If not promoted a bit of cost cutting maybe needed? Albeit it doesn't seem to be a disaster like what he inherited here.

We did a lot of that last summer .

Cut the wage bill and got some money but we didn’t recruit particularly well to replace who left .

Likes of Tom Ince and Jamal Lewis have been very disappointing.

Jake Livermore probably been the only success which says it all !

Been a common theme for the past 2/3 seasons .

Edited by Markthehorn

2 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

We did a lot of that last summer .

Cut the wage bill and got some money but we didn’t recruit particularly well to replace who left .

Likes of Tom Ince and Jamal Lewis have been very disappointing.

Jake Livermore probably been the only success which says it all !

Been a common theme for the past 2/3 seasons .

Yeah propping well but a swing from Parachute Payments to Solidarity Payments is huge albeit the £23m pre tax Profit stands in good stead for FFP. Kamara sale and loan back was investigated too iirc from a Fair Value perspective.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I just posted this in another thread...being different, doing it our own way or ' Maverick ' is our way. 

It's actually part of our values set out on Bristol Sport website 🤷

Our Values

Collaborative: As part of a wider group always remember our sporting partners and our community.

Honest: To do the right thing – always with integrity and honesty.

Ambitious: We never settle for second best. Engage, excite and entertain.

Maverick: To be bold and challenge the norm. To have confidence in doing it our own way.

Progressive: To be innovative in pushing for what’s possible. Breaking new ground and constantly evolving to be world class

• Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

In my experience organisations come up with statements of values as bolierplating and rarely actually live by them.

I wonder if the club ever reviews how it's doing against those alleged values. The discussion around integrity and honesty would be an interesting one for sure.

As to innovative, I'm not sure "we should copy Brighton/Brentford/Luton..." qualifies. Nor does "ooh, look, that club over there has a fashionable, modern young coach, let's get one of those".

Still, learning on the job and all that.

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I just posted this in another thread...being different, doing it our own way or ' Maverick ' is our way. 

It's actually part of our values set out on Bristol Sport website 🤷

Our Values

Collaborative: As part of a wider group always remember our sporting partners and our community.

Honest: To do the right thing – always with integrity and honesty.

Ambitious: We never settle for second best. Engage, excite and entertain.

Maverick: To be bold and challenge the norm. To have confidence in doing it our own way.

Progressive: To be innovative in pushing for what’s possible. Breaking new ground and constantly evolving to be world class

BS values.