IGNORED

“Moving S82”

20 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Been done to death on here but the locating of fans after the renovation was handled extremely poorly by the club.

That was the golden opportunity to really make the South stand a proper home end. The middle two or three blocks should have been made unreserved seating like the old EE was and familys and people who want to sit in silence (seems like the vast majority in the SS from what i've seen) should never have been located there in the first place. 

Vast majority in the ground tbf. 

The football on display is a factor but the current location of s82 doesn’t make creating an atmosphere impossible. Not in the slightest. I could sit here and rattle off games where the atmospheres been very good as easily as people can rattle off games where it’s been nonexistent. 

If you sit in the singing section, call yourself section 82 and have the arrogance to demand to be relocated at the expense of other season ticket holders at least prove you deserve it. You choose to sit in the “singing section” so fking sing imo. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

A&S police dictate that the Atyeo is allocated to away fans for safely reasons. The Atyeo provides easy access/exiting and enables the police to manage away fans far more easily.

Its extremely unlikely that that will ever change.

Where are you quoting this from?

Never heard this before and wouldn't explain why we have done it for cup matches in the past

• Like 1

The utter idiocy of the idea of switching the Home End to the newly covered Open End all those years ago really got on my nerves. I remember attending a supporters club meeting in London at the time and was pretty annoyed. 

The thought Sags were on the EE in that awful cup for failure still rankles. 

However the idea that there is no Home End at all is much worse. We play so often toward an empty stand. While offering the likes of <name club here> the ability to simultaneously play towards the away support could only happen at bloody Bristol City. 

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

Never heard this before and wouldn't explain why we have done it for cup matches in the past

See linked thread. He claims Colin Sexstone told him 25 years ago. He’s been called out that it’s nonsense before but keeps posting it as if it’s fact.

Just odd.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

I’m not quoting from anywhere - it was the reason I was given by the late Colin Sextone when I was directly involved in the SC&T.

Granted - that was a few years ago but doubt that A&S police have not moved the goalposts since. I can only assume that cup games must be exempt - that said if City drew either Welsh clubs they’d be allocated the entire Atyeo Stand.

Not too sure I should be posting this, as I would be one of the fans severely affected by this suggestion, but here goes nevertheless.

Next season, if we have a home cup match in the league cup, how about making the whole of South South unreserved seating - still guarantee season ticket holders can get a ticket in that stand, but make it unreserved. The likelihood is that the game won't be a sell out, so we should be able to absorb the 10% less tickets available.

It might just be the ideal test bed to see if there's a demand for unreserved seating in that stand?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m not quoting from anywhere - it was the reason I was given by the late Colin Sextone when I was directly involved in the SC&T.

Granted - that was a few years ago but doubt that A&S police have not moved the goalposts since. I can only assume that cup games must be exempt - that said if City drew either Welsh clubs they’d be allocated the entire Atyeo Stand.

By the entire Atyeo Stand you mean the much reduced capacity?

It is now 3.4k, it once was 4.2k..it's never been satisfactorily explained that.

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think there is a valid point here. I’d like more people to sing and there to be more of an atmosphere but there is an underlying tone of “we in Section 82 are the REAL supporters and all the other season ticket holders matter less than us”, which I find a little ugly.

And this is the problem with people (incorrectly) referring to blocks S25-27 as Section 82. (Not an attack on you @LondonBristolian)

It paints us (S82) in a certain light, which is inaccurate. And prompts these sort of opinions/responses - which I completely understand - and which generally will only have a negative effect on peoples perception of 'us'. As a result of people's actions/words which are often not at all reflective of our views/opinions.

So, for absolute clarity (although others have kindly already pointed out earlier in this thread, and others), Section 82 is a fairly small (<20) group of supporters who have season tickets in the above blocks. We don't speak for "the blocks" we speak for ourselves. And I can assure you that the 'petition', was absolutely not set up by us. And we do not hold ourselves in any higher regard than anyone else, within these blocks - or anywhere else in the ground.

On the topic itself, as @phantom has already eloquently stated. The SC&T (and others) are in dialogue with the relevant parties, as to the options which may/may not be available in terms of the expansion of safe standing within AG. 

So those who are of the opinion that a wider area of safe standing (and the perceived improvement in the atmosphere which that may bring) can be comforted in the knowledge that these conversations are taking place.

Edited by James
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, George Rs said:

The football on display is a factor but the current location of s82 doesn’t make creating an atmosphere impossible. Not in the slightest. I could sit here and rattle off games where the atmospheres been very good as easily as people can rattle off games where it’s been nonexistent. 

If you sit in the singing section, call yourself section 82 and have the arrogance to demand to be relocated at the expense of other season ticket holders at least prove you deserve it. You choose to sit in the “singing section” so fking sing imo. 

Going back to the point , I’m pretty sure the actual lads within section 82 haven’t demanded to be relocated ? 

(just spotted James has put up a post explaining from the groups position)

Edited by Wedontplayinblue
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

And as you’ve been told multiple times before, you said you had that conversation 25 years ago. When away fans were housed in the East End. Where they stayed until the ground redevelopment. And when they moved during that Sexstone wasn’t even at the club.

In fact, during the entire duration of Sexstones time at the club (2001-2012) away fans were never at the Atyeo end of the ground.

So, I think it’s fair to say that conversation - or at least how you frame it - never happened.

I know you like trolling. Thats fine. But just stop lying when it can be factually proven as incorrect as above.

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Why on earth do you say that, unless it is to spend the entire game antagonising them ?

No not at all, but I do think it improves the atmosphere when the two sets of more vocal fans are close to each other. Leicester away for example has the has a set up like this and the atmosphere was great, no trouble whatsoever. I agree the people who stand there giving it "come on then" all game are embarrassing but that's not what I was getting at.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Happy Farmer said:

You can sing from any seat I do s21 just saying

This is true however football being as it is, standing fans congregated together does tend to assist. 

On a basic level seating is sedentary, standing lends itself to singing and chanting more IMO.

54 minutes ago, Robbored said:

None of that makes any sense when you live in reality. 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, James said:

And this is the problem with people (incorrectly) referring to blocks S25-27 as Section 82. (Not an attack on you @LondonBristolian)

It paints us (S82) in a certain light, which is inaccurate. And prompts these sort of opinions/responses - which I completely understand - and which generally will only have a negative effect on peoples perception of 'us'. As a result of people's actions/words which are often not at all reflective of our views/opinions.

So, for absolute clarity (although others have kindly already pointed out earlier in this thread, and others), Section 82 is a fairly small (<20) group of supporters who have season tickets in the above blocks. We don't speak for "the blocks" we speak for ourselves. And I can assure you that the 'petition', was absolutely not set up by us. And we do not hold ourselves in any higher regard than anyone else, within these blocks - or anywhere else in the ground.

On the topic itself, as @phantom has already eloquently stated. The SC&T (and others) are in dialogue with the relevant parties, as to the options which may/may not be available in terms of the expansion of safe standing within AG. 

So those who are of the opinion that a wider area of safe standing (and the perceived improvement in the atmosphere which that may bring) can be comforted in the knowledge that these conversations are taking place.

You *****.

What a charming young man.

Eloquent.

Articulate.

Nice to Mum and Gran.

But standards need to be maintained.

Your post has had a teensy weensy edit.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

And as you’ve been told multiple times before, you said you had that conversation 25 years ago. When away fans were housed in the East End. Where they stayed until the ground redevelopment. And when they moved during that Sexstone wasn’t even at the club.

In fact, during the entire duration of Sexstones time at the club (2001-2012) away fans were never at the Atyeo end of the ground.

So, I think it’s fair to say that conversation - or at least how you frame it - never happened.

I know you like trolling. Thats fine. But just stop lying when it can be factually proven as incorrect as above.

Silvio - I’m not getting into a spat about what I was told (or not told according to you) all those years ago.

I’m sure you remember before the Atyeo was built away fans were generally housed in the old open end for the same reason - because of the easy exiting onto Ashton Rd post match which simplifies the police duties. 

Nothing has changed in that regard.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

However the idea that there is no Home End at all is much worse. We play so often toward an empty stand. While offering the likes of <name club here> the ability to simultaneously play towards the away support could only happen at bloody Bristol City. 

There is a home end - the South Stand - surely? Plus the amount of time we pass the ball sideways we're more often kicking towards the Lansdown or Dolman stands anyway. 

This whole "standing creates a better atmosphere" is a myth anyway. Equally, atmosphere only really matters to the fans, not the players. 

45 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

There is a home end - the South Stand - surely? Plus the amount of time we pass the ball sideways we're more often kicking towards the Lansdown or Dolman stands anyway. 

This whole "standing creates a better atmosphere" is a myth anyway. Equally, atmosphere only really matters to the fans, not the players. 

Superb. I agree under Mr Manning the home end is the Dolman/Lansdown stand. 

Regarding the South Stand. It’s infuriating that the area behind the goal has huge open spaces unless we happen to be playing Leeds or West Ham. That really is the crux of the matter. How many other clubs have their most vociferous supporters tucked up in the corner and for damn good reason?

I simply don’t agree about “standing creates a better atmosphere is a myth” It’s simply not true. There is a reason you stand to sing a hymn or an anthem or any song. You breathe better and your voice casts further than sitting as your lungs are all bunched up thus ratcheting up the atmosphere. 

The Taylor report  and all seating stadia was designed to ratchet down the atmosphere and stop the crushes. However these days are over 35 years on and there is significant difference in football and life in general. 

I don’t know you and have no idea about you. However did you stand on The EE between 72 and 81? And if so do you really believe the atmosphere was not better?

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

19 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Superb. I agree under Mr Manning the home end is the Dolman/Lansdown stand. 

Regarding the South Stand. It’s infuriating that the area behind the goal has huge open spaces unless we happen to be playing Leeds or West Ham. That really is the crux of the matter. How many other clubs have their most vociferous supporters tucked up in the corner and for damn good reason?

I simply don’t agree about “standing creates a better atmosphere is a myth” It’s simply not true. There is a reason you stand to sing a hymn or an anthem or any song. You breathe better and your voice casts further than sitting as your lungs are all bunched up thus ratcheting up the atmosphere. 

The Taylor report  and all seating stadia was designed to ratchet down the atmosphere and stop the crushes. However these days are over 35 years on and there is significant difference in football and life in general. 

I don’t know you and have no idea about you. However did you stand on The EE between 72 and 81? And if so do you really believe the atmosphere was not better?

Even the Lansdown has a decent ratio of empty seats tbh. Some games more than others, it varies.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Even the Lansdown has a decent ratio of empty seats tbh. Some games more than others, it varies.

As established. Under Manning The Lansdown is the alternative home end, so almost as infuriating! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

As established. Under Manning The Lansdown is the alternative home end, so almost as infuriating! 

Indeed. The tunnel being thete isn't great either, tunnel behind the goal is always preferable IMO.

As to the other stuff I tend to agree. Of course standing fans are more likely to sing, chant, shout be vocal. Obvious I'd say, and of course a positive atmosphere, a noisy one lifts a team.

Likewise a healthy away allocation in a good place (even more so when not reciprocated) gives that side an advantage and lifts the away side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James said:

Excellent post. Thanks for your considered response.

20 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

They need to do something atmosphere is shite and has been for years.

Personally I'd put standing in the whole of the SS and have the whole lot unreserved.

You'd upset some but it might drive more back. 

Atmospheres at nearly every ground surface n the country is shite compared to years ago , it’s just how it is , don’t think Ashton gate is any worse or better than anywhere else , it will have good days and bad days ,results and performances will go along way to creating the atmosphere and I’m afraid our home performances haven’t been up to much for a while now , 

Proof is in the pudding = Southampton decent performance decent atmosphere 

Man Utd = superb performance superb atmosphere and so on 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, redkev said:

Atmospheres at nearly every ground surface n the country is shite compared to years ago , it’s just how it is , don’t think Ashton gate is any worse or better than anywhere else , it will have good days and bad days ,results and performances will go along way to creating the atmosphere and I’m afraid our home performances haven’t been up to much for a while now , 

I'm sorry but I disagree with that. We're not even a top 40 fan base. There are loads of British teams still making a din. We've become to entitled, to comfortable... dare I say it, to middle class. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Club could do more. Better located, bigger Safe Standing area, perhaps Downsy less of a presence, the music faded a bit 10 before kick-off, making it less of a Grand Day Out for the away fans.

Dunno what I think of reading the away side first either albeit maybe that is best judged, maybe it's a me issue.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Certainly would help to extend the standing area across the South Stand . Standing and a better atmosphere go hand in hand IMO, nobody i know or myself included want to sit and watch football.

That’s fine for those who can stand for the length of a match. 

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Club could bo a bit more. Bettrr located, bigger Safe Standing area, perhaps Downsy less of a presence, the music faced a bit 10 before kick-off, making it less of a Grand Day Out for the away fans.

Dunno what I think of reading the away side first either albeit maybe that is best judged, maybe it's a me issue.

It doesn’t matter a great deal where fans are located within any stadium. Redkev is spot when he pointed out that atmosphere is generated by what fans see on the pitch. Poor play = crap atmosphere and the exact opposite applies.

That was a concept that LJ just couldn’t understand and even complained post match about it…….ummm…..…..:cool2:

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

17 hours ago, George Rs said:

What makes you think section 82 want to move?

I think its others asking to move the section 82 

who by the way try their hardest to make a atmosphere full credit to them 

• Flames 1

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

You were never part of the trust as it wasn’t formed then, you were chairman of the supporters club for a while. 

If you want to lie to make up facts, you need to make it believable. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1