IGNORED

The silent majority

I've generally kept quiet and supported Manning, though I never wanted Pearson sacked.

There seems a general acceptance from the people around me who are not vocal that this is not working and unfortunately it isn't going  to.

A really poor appointment by the people the above him. The club is in dissaray, this has been covered up by points earned earlier in the season. God help us if this the future. 

• Like 13

24 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

OP is exactly where I am, I would have him here next season in any circumstance bar actual relegation (won’t happen).

But I think he’s gonna need a steady influx of wins spread over the final 8 games as his position is becoming borderline untenable. I don’t remember the fan base being this vocally against even Dean Holden, and performances under him were significantly worse than they are now.

Holden era was unique because none of the games were played in front of crowds.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

What worries me is that although he is clearly not up to the job you seem to be willing to let him spend our transfer money in the summer. 

Can see us throwing a lot of money at the problem in the summer to try to make it work as those in charge try to save face and we’ll be back to square one like where we were after COVID. I would love Manning to prove us all wrong and make us successful and there are lots of reasons to suggest he may be able to do this but there are equally as many reasons to suggest he won’t.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I've generally kept quiet and supported Manning, though I never wanted Pearson sacked.

There seems a general acceptance from the people around me who are not vocal that this is not working and unfortunately it isn't going  to.

A really poor appointment by the people the above him. The club is in dissaray, this has been covered up by points earned earlier in the season. God help us if this the future. 

I have never felt as low or, what is worse, as disinterested in what is going on. I’ve loved the fact that a local man is the owner of our football club. In 50+ years I’ve seen it all. Stood in the enclosure when Whitehead took us to the promised land, stood twenty years later when we were away at Brentford shouting that we want a change; highs and lows and many in between! Highs and lows and I’ve not even mentioned the early 80s. 
However we have turned it round on many occasions and I’ve always felt we could do it again. Not now, though.
I won’t forget what  Steve and Maggie have done for our club but this has become beyond a joke. I’m not laughing and despite all the Top Six and we beat Southampton jokes, I don’t believe anyone else is laughing either. I fukking hated Tiny Pulis and sometimes found LJ’ s sh1t hard to take but fukk me, Manning is a total waste of space. He feels nothing for our club and he has no idea how to engage with the media, with us or indeed, the players. 
I loved Tinman as a player but the very fact that he is where he is shows how the Lansdowns and he don’t have a clue. 
There is only one way for this not to end disastrously (in League 1 and potentially beneath the Gas) is for a total total change from the top down. 
Until that happens, I’m out!

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

The irony here is we all cite TP as the comparison low point and yet he went on to become a very successful PL manager - who actually played a dull style that suited his players.

We mustn’t overlook that Manning is front and centre of the season ticket renewal advertisement- this was a clear statement from the Board.

All this talk about low attendance in the next game overlooks it’s mates rates and we should be near to capacity no matter what ghe silent majority might think!

Key part of this being pulis played a style that SUITED his players

Manning is willingly ignoring all logic and persisting with what ever the **** he deems as his style with players clearly not suited and you can’t replace a whole squad overnight 

Another key point made is he has no rapport with the fans at all and he comes across as though he doesn’t need one and fans are an inconvenience. I personally have never outright disliked a head coach/ manager as much as him

Sod days were abysmal but at least he had some track record where you could at least see why the board appointed him….seriously what the **** has this guy done to warrant a championship job??

• Like 6

1 hour ago, The Humble Realist said:

Am I alone in thinking I'm in the silent majority that are pretty fed up with the current situation, unhappy at how the Pearson situation was handled BUT completely willing to wait til next season to judge manning (where he WILL be judged from game 1 onwards)?

Theres a lot of noise about manning out etc but do most fans feel like me ?

Not looking to knock anyones opinion (2024 has been dreadful and masked from looking even worse by the FA cup), just sometimes the loudest voices portray a larger sentiment than the reality. 

I get it , but tbh it’s a massive gamble . He seems to have no man management skills imo . The squad with the right manager needs tweaks . With manning it needs a massive overhaul. If 5 games into next season he gets sacked then it’s another new man with somebody else’s squad. Better to get someone in now to evaluate the players , get his playing style into them & sign where needed. Otherwise it’s another season lost. 
not that it will happen 

• Like 3

No idea if I count as silent, or a majority. Under manning, to date, the football has been pretty awful to watch, slow, predictable, and not adjusted to compensate for the many weaknesses in the squad. We don’t have anyone who is good as a lone striker, and no idea why we are playing Knight in a forward, nondescript role.

He might come good, but equally, if he left tomorrow, I wouldn’t be sorry. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

All this talk about low attendance in the next game overlooks it’s mates rates and we should be near to capacity no matter what ghe silent majority might think!

It will be a big attendance because it’s Bank Holiday. Lose that game and then let’s see what the attendances are against Blackburn and Huddersfield which will be a much fairer reflection.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

Portrays himself as intelligent. I’m increasingly unsure. He’s, no doubt, well read on coaching but where’s the emotional intelligence and where’s the passion, the love of the game for the game…. Not the wretched process. 

Absolutely. It’s clear that Manning has certain personal characteristics / tendencies (another thread suggests OCD) but clearly is not comfortable communicating and dealing with emotion.

He talks about wanting to take the emotion out of the way that the game is played, but the one emotion that has clearly been lost is confidence. Confidence makes a huge difference to performances and results. And the lack of it has adversely affected our players and the results in the past 2 months.

And of course the majority of supporters have now lost confidence in both Manning and the club owners. Just like trust that will be very difficult to win back.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Ashtongreight said:

I’m pretty much with you, my concern is if we ditch him now who’s going to replace him?,  and more importantly that person is going to be chosen by the same people that chose Manning. It’s a horrible situation we’re in and I really can’t see a way out of it.

We’ve some how got to hope that the board don’t double down on their stupid strategy.  This group of players and this club needs a strong manager, not an up and coming head coach. That’s the only way we’ve ever been successful. So…. manning out and LJ in is my prediction (heaven help us!!!) 

Edited by Mendip City
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've read a few responses on this thread suggesting that we are safe from relegation, so we should give him the summer (and our money) and see how we start next season. 

It's desperate times when you have to rely on other teams not to pick up any points to claim that you are safe from relegation. 

This wasn't the situation first half of the season.

We have got worse. He needs to go. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Honestly, I don’t think you’re on your own…. but I think you’re in the minority. Quite a small minority, I’d think. When you get away support booing and mocking the team - it’s bad. 

Just said similar on another thread. Lose the away fans and you are toast. 

2 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Root cause of this is the Lansdowns…. However Manning is doing himself no favours. No rapport with the fans and not playing a brand of football us fans want or understand. He needs to change dramatically or we (fans) will win, eventually. 

He has probably been told that we are just plebs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Some people continue to say OTIB doesn’t speak for the majority of City fans which is true of course,but I speak to friends who are not on here and all feel the same,I expect you are in the minority but it doesn’t make you wrong 

It does in a way, because it is a cross section. 

The way they dress it up, everyone on here has one opinion, and the rest have a different one. 

It really doesn't work that way.

2 hours ago, Ashtongreight said:

I’m pretty much with you, my concern is if we ditch him now who’s going to replace him?,  and more importantly that person is going to be chosen by the same people that chose Manning. It’s a horrible situation we’re in and I really can’t see a way out of it.

You need to ask yourself if even they could choose anyone worse.

1 hour ago, Mr Chappers said:

No idea if I count as silent, or a majority. Under manning, to date, the football has been pretty awful to watch, slow, predictable, and not adjusted to compensate for the many weaknesses in the squad. We don’t have anyone who is good as a lone striker, and no idea why we are playing Knight in a forward, nondescript role.

He might come good, but equally, if he left tomorrow, I wouldn’t be sorry. 

Just going on your last sentence . I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s going to come good . He hasn’t improved us at all . In fact he made us regress 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slack Bladder said:

Have you ever noticed, no other team comes knocking on Lansdown's door to try and poach one of our managers.

Words you never hear in other boardrooms " **** me Bristol City have a great manager! Let's try and prise him away"

Funny really. 

They wouldn't say 'no'.

I clearly remember the Sunday afternoon when I learned Pearson had been relieved of his duties - I felt in total shock was very angry.

I, like many, had watched as Pearson kept a steady hand on the wheel, slowly turning our fortunes around with next to no budget. Building us up from the financial ruins left behind by Covid, LJ and Mark Ashton. He turned us from a team of no hopers to a team of plucky underdogs with the potential for so much more.

Even given the injustice of Pearson's dismisal, I hoped, against all logical reason, that the board had got it right with Manning's appointment and reserved judgement until he'd been given a fair crack of the whip. However, it seems we've regressed beyond all recognition and those in power will be too stubborn to admit their mistake. 

I really hope I'm wrong but I don't see this ending prettily. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Your view is the correct approach but I’ve a horrible feeling this won’t work out regardless. I’d pull the trigger now. One of my biggest concerns is that he’s building no rapport with the fan base and being stubborn beyond all belief. 

This is Bristol City and he must produce something Bristol City supporters want and understand…. if he doesn’t flex there will be only one winner. 

This.. I've said for weeks he doesn't get the club or it's supporters.  We like to be entertained and we want to see 100% effort, passion and in your face football and we're seeing none of it.

He's removed the passion and emotion from the players and most of the supporters too, pretty good going in 20 odd matches! 

He's completely out of his depth and letting him and Tinnion waste more money isn't the answer! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, RackCity said:

I clearly remember the Sunday afternoon when I learned Pearson had been relieved of his duties - I felt in total shock was very angry.

I, like many, had watched as Pearson kept a steady hand on the wheel, slowly turning our fortunes around with next to no budget. Building us up from the financial ruins left behind by Covid, LJ and Mark Ashton. He turned us from a team of no hopers to a team of plucky underdogs with the potential for so much more.

Even given the injustice of Pearson's dismisal, I hoped, against all logical reason, that the board had got it right with Manning's appointment and reserved judgement until he'd been given a fair crack of the whip. However, it seems we've regressed beyond all recognition and those in power will be too stubborn to admit their mistake. 

I really hope I'm wrong but I don't see this ending prettily. 

And these are your key words.

Any group of people that can be so absolutely ****witted to rip up all that Pearson was building after lifting them out of their own soiled nappy, just because he wouldn't tolerate their 'baby cries' clearly aren't capable of choosing the next babysitter.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

Completely agree. IMO way too soon to judge Manning. He came in mid season with only a Jan window to make changes.

Fans knew our squad was a midtable side and laughed when Tinnion said it should be competing for promotion, but now are loosing their minds because the team isn’t living up to the claims of Tinnion which they never believed in the first place! 

Fans need to give him a fair crack. Give Manning a preseason and an opportunity to shape a squad and see how we go. 

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 3

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Holden era was unique because none of the games were played in front of crowds.

Wont be that unique if we keep Liam in charge for much longer!

The Holden era was interesting because what it did was mean although nobody was attending games, everyone was watching them. If you go back 5 years, although streams existed you didn’t get the huge influx of people flying VPN. It’s rare now that a game isn’t watched by the vast majority of the fanbase and that creates its own pressure.

Without VPNs or streams yesterday you’re reliant on the Bristol Post view (said we controlled first half) or what is said on Radio Bristol.

5-6 years ago Liam could have hid being poor for longer. Now it becomes apparent all the quicker as everyone has more evidence. Pick your poison as to whether in Liams words it’s reflective of “society wanting immediate results” and a bad thing or a good thing as it weeds out the incompetence quicker.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SotonRed said:

Completely agree. IMO way too soon to judge Manning. He came in mid season with only a Jan window to make changes.

Fans knew our squad was a midtable side and laughed when Tinnion said it should be competing for promotion, but now are loosing their minds because the team isn’t living up to the claims of Tinnion which they never believed in the first place! 

Fans need to give him a fair crack. Give Manning a preseason and an opportunity to shape a squad and see how we go. 

Liam and Brian approve of this post. But even more, they love your username.

• Haha 9

I am yet (I think) to harshly criticise Manning on here.  I am concerned by him and some of his decisions.

My 💯 anger is Tinnion and Lansdown to the level that I want these two gone first and see what happens on the pitch after that before I give up on LM.

I feel he may have consistent voices in his ear who still believe they can manage at this level 🐍 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SotonRed said:

I don't get this, if he is visibly taking our current squad backwards i.e. taking mid table team and making them relegation fodder. Why would you give him time and money to bring in players just to lower there quality as well?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I don't get this, if he is visibly taking our current squad backwards i.e. taking mid table team and making them relegation fodder. Why would you give him time and money to bring in players just to lower there quality as well?

I agree-24 games is enough time imo to make a balanced judgement of this coach given the circumstances at the time of his appointment.