IGNORED

The silent majority

The current situation isn’t anywhere near as bad as it’s been over the decades. I compare things to when City fell down the divisions in the early 80s to the point where attendance were as low as 5-6k. The times back then were truly grim. I remember one attendance of around 4K. 

Since the arrival of Davidson and then Lansdown the club gradually recovered and have become an established Championship club.

However expectations have now become more demanding and the owners and us fans all want the same thing - a successful club that we can be proud of and to become established in the PL . Everything in place. A decent stadium, the new training facilities at the HPC but getting there is the hard part as we all know. 

The current unrest is largely down to getting rid of Nige and the flimsy explanation given and then the appointment of Manning who many of us had never heard of. That said despite him looking out of his depth at Championship level we have to get behind him and hope that one more win or three draws will guarantee survival - I doubt it’ll come on Friday tho.

Another three points and we can truly relax and see what happens in the summer window followed by a full preseason going in to the next campaign. Manning won’t be able to whinge about “no time on the grass’ after preseason.

Lets see this disappointing season out and go into the next campaign with more optimism.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 7

12 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Honestly, I don’t think you’re on your own…. but I think you’re in the minority. Quite a small minority, I’d think. When you get away support booing and mocking the team - it’s bad. 

Agreed. OTIB and some callers on RB are the place where I see or hear support for Manning TBH, so in my view yes it’s a minority. Appreciate others may experience it the opposite of that, but as this post says, if you lose the away fans and you have home fans fighting each other in ground, it’s got really, really bad. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

Am I alone in thinking I'm in the silent majority that are pretty fed up with the current situation, unhappy at how the Pearson situation was handled BUT completely willing to wait til next season to judge manning (where he WILL be judged from game 1 onwards)?

Theres a lot of noise about manning out etc but do most fans feel like me ?

Not looking to knock anyones opinion (2024 has been dreadful and masked from looking even worse by the FA cup), just sometimes the loudest voices portray a larger sentiment than the reality. 

Proof of the pudding will be home attendances after Leicester, which has cheap tickets available.

Plus SC sales of course.

32 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

There is absolutely no way that the majority want to stick with Manning.

I can’t comment for the ‘majority’ but no matter how much whinging and complaining that we do it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. I learnt thru experience many managers ago that the best approach for me is no adopt a philosophical attitude - it is what it is……..:dunno:

I’d be absolutely amazed if Manning isn’t our manager come the start of next season.

We also need to remember that we otib posters are a small percentage of Citys fanbase and whilst the views on here probably reflect the general feeling amongst the fans our impact is minimal on the powers that be.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I can’t comment for the ‘majority’ but no matter how much whinging and complaining that we do it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. I learnt thru experience many managers ago that the best approach for me is no adopt a philosophical attitude - it is what it is……..:dunno:

That's quite a claim considering your personal vendetta about Gary Johnson - which clearly still exists.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’d be absolutely amazed if Manning isn’t our manager come the start of next season.

We also need to remember that we otib posters are a small percentage of Citys fanbase and whilst the views on here probably reflect the general feeling amongst the fans our impact is minimal on the powers that be.

It doesn't matter if it's minimal or not, this isn't change.org - it's a place for people to exchange ideas.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andrew_V1 said:

Key part of this being pulis played a style that SUITED his players

I'm really not having all this revisionism nonsense in regard to comparisons to Pulis. 

Pulis brought in injured journeyman  and under his contract he profited from the sale of players.   He was ex-gas and struggles to hide his contempt for anything Bristol City.  He was totally out for himself.   His football didn't suit OUR players, but it suited the shite he brought in.  We played much better after he was sacked and we dropped the his journeymen and played our youth.

I was more than willing to give Manning a chance, and defended his right to have a chance at doing the job when I felt he was undeservedly taking flak for the decisions of those above him. 

Given the circumstances in which he came in, I don't think he has ever been given the benefit of the doubt in anything he has done or said.  

Manning is proving hard to like, but  Pulis was hard not to hate.  I still hate the bloke.   I'm not swayed by his success either.  There are lots of successful people in this world that are ******* horrible individuals and have no redeeming qualities. 

That said Manning isn't filling me with any confidence as time has gone on.  The friends I go to the game with are more fed up than angry.  None of us are the types that boo players off or call for managers to be sacked.   I don't think he'll be sacked before next season, simply because I don't think the hierarchy are ready to admit their failings.   

11 hours ago, Andrew_V1 said:

Edited by Red Skin
  • Like 4

I really don't want to risk having him in charge next season. He'll bring in players over the summer. 

Does anyone really want to risk playing like this season under him, and then find we need to sack him during next, appoint someone else and start the merry go round again? 

Get him gone, get someone in at the end of this season, and get a full summer training under him in place. 

I can't go through this shit again next season. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Red Skin said:

I'm really not having all this revisionism nonsense in regard to comparisons to Pulis. 

Pulis brought in injured journeyman  and under his contract he profited from the sale of players.   He was ex-gas and struggles to hide his contempt for anything Bristol City.  He was totally out for himself.   His football didn't suit OUR players, but it suited the shite he brought in.  We played much better after he was sacked and we dropped the his journeymen and played our youth.

I was more than willing to give Manning a chance, and defended his right to have a chance at doing the job when I felt he was undeservedly taking flak for the decisions of those above him. 

Given the circumstances in which he came in, I don't think he has ever been given the benefit of the doubt in anything he has done or said.  

Manning is proving hard to like, but  Pulis was hard not to hate.  I still hate the bloke.   I'm not swayed by his success either.  There are lots of successful people in this world that are ******* horrible individuals and have no redeeming qualities. 

That said Manning isn't filling me with any confidence as time has gone on.  The friends I go to the game with are more fed up than angry.  None of us are the types that boo players off or call for managers to be sacked.   I don't think he'll be sacked before next season, simply because I don't think the hierarchy are ready to admit their failings.   

I wasn’t referring to pulis time with us…..

Like him or loathe him he achieved far more in the game after his spell with us than this no mark ever will

2 hours ago, SotonRed said:

Fans knew our squad was a midtable side and laughed when Tinnion said it should be competing for promotion, but now are loosing their minds because the team isn’t living up to the claims of Tinnion which they never believed in the first place! 

If we all know our squad is a mid table side why is this manager only capable of winning 12 points from 15 games?

That isn’t mid table is it? That’s relegation, every season, without fail.

Edited by bearded_red

3 minutes ago, Andrew_V1 said:

I wasn’t referring to pulis time with us…..

Like him or loathe him he achieved far more in the game after his spell with us than this no mark ever will

Fair enough, that wasn't clear to me.  Other posters were comparing Manning's spell with Pulis' and in my view they aren't in the same league.  

I'm not interested at success by any means, so I'll pass on Pulis. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I really don't want to risk having him in charge next season. He'll bring in players over the summer. 

Does anyone really want to risk playing like this season under him, and then find we need to sack him during next, appoint someone else and start the merry go round again? 

Get him gone, get someone in at the end of this season, and get a full summer training under him in place. 

I can't go through this shit again next season. 

It won’t happen Spudski.

After sacking Nige and the criticism the hierarchy received they won’t want more egg on their faces by sacking Manning.

Remember how long SL gave LJ after more than one dreadful run of poor results?

3 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

If we all know our squad is a mid table side why is this manger only capable of winning 12 points from 15 games?

That isn’t mid table is it? That’s relegation, every season, without fail.

We haven’t got 12 points from our last 15 games? We have 15 putting us 19th in the league - so not in the bottom three. 

From my perspective we’ve remained midtable since LM arrived and I expected no different. 
When Pearson was sacked we were 15th in the league and now we a sitting in 14th. So granted, not a massive improvement, but for me no reason to call for his head at this stage. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fisherrich said:

God knows what Harry Dolman would make of this football club today. Shambolic.

If social media had existed in the sixties, a section of the fans would have been screaming for Harry Dolman to sell up as we fought off relegation from the second tier several times.

At least the Lansdowns (as far as we know) haven’t resorted to some of Harry Dolman’s more - ahem - unorthodox business practices…

2 minutes ago, SotonRed said:

We haven’t got 12 points from our last 15 games? We have 15 putting us 19th in the league - so not in the bottom three. 

From my perspective we’ve remained midtable since LM arrived and I expected no different. 
When Pearson was sacked we were 15th in the league and now we a sitting in 14th. So granted, not a massive improvement, but for me no reason to call for his head at this stage. 

Have you watched the football ? Stop chatting bollocks . The players clearly are not having him & even the away fans have turned . He’s a dead man walking & rightly so 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It won’t happen Spudski.

After sacking Nige and the criticism the hierarchy received they won’t want more egg on their faces by sacking Manning.

Remember how long SL gave LJ after more than one dreadful run of poor results?

If season tickets are poor, and he continues losing then I can't see it RR.

LJ never lost the fans this quickly. Plus he and his family are close to the Lansdowns.

2 minutes ago, SotonRed said:

Apologies, my mistake 12 points from 14. 15 points from 15 is still a point a game, over a season that’s relegation. Relegation form from a third of the season with a mid table squad.

5 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Apologies, my mistake 12 points from 14. 15 points from 15 is still a point a game, over a season that’s relegation. Relegation form from a third of the season with a mid table squad.

You’d of actually stayed up with 1 point per game in 7 of the last 10 seasons, but that’s by the by. 

You’ve decided to take his worst run of results to make your point in what is, to me, still too small of a sample size to judge him fairly. 

12 hours ago, stortfordred said:

I have never felt as low or, what is worse, as disinterested in what is going on. I’ve loved the fact that a local man is the owner of our football club. In 50+ years I’ve seen it all. Stood in the enclosure when Whitehead took us to the promised land, stood twenty years later when we were away at Brentford shouting that we want a change; highs and lows and many in between! Highs and lows and I’ve not even mentioned the early 80s. 
However we have turned it round on many occasions and I’ve always felt we could do it again. Not now, though.
I won’t forget what  Steve and Maggie have done for our club but this has become beyond a joke. I’m not laughing and despite all the Top Six and we beat Southampton jokes, I don’t believe anyone else is laughing either. I fukking hated Tiny Pulis and sometimes found LJ’ s sh1t hard to take but fukk me, Manning is a total waste of space. He feels nothing for our club and he has no idea how to engage with the media, with us or indeed, the players. 
I loved Tinman as a player but the very fact that he is where he is shows how the Lansdowns and he don’t have a clue. 
There is only one way for this not to end disastrously (in League 1 and potentially beneath the Gas) is for a total total change from the top down. 
Until that happens, I’m out!

That's the post of the day..Spot on fella

13 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Have you watched the football ? Stop chatting bollocks . The players clearly are not having him & even the away fans have turned . He’s a dead man walking & rightly so 

Yes I have. We’ve been consistently inconsistent and often played better against top half teams.

Sorry that you are offended I have a different point of view to you. Who’d of thought you’d find that on a forum! 

• Robin 1