IGNORED

Are we the dullest club in the country?

20 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Surely the dull teams are those who are rarely promoted or have any cup runs.

Teams like Mansfield, Rotherham, Chester City / Chester.

1 divisional title in 69 years, 5 promotions since 1976, last FA cup 6th round appearance in 1974 and a run in the league cup about once every 25 years. Can we point fingers?

5 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

1 divisional title in 69 years, 5 promotions since 1976, last FA cup 6th round appearance in 1974 and a run in the league cup about once every 25 years. Can we point fingers?

Those Man City and Man Utd cup games we had are exciting by anyone's standards.

What have Mansfield fans had to cheer about?

(Cue @Kid in the Riot telling me that they won the European Cup last year!)

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I saw them beat us at Wembley. They last made the FA Cup 6th round in 1969. Beat Leeds over two matches in the cup (we always bang on about that). Put Rovers out of the league.

Given they are a pin ***** of a club compared to us, they've done quite well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I saw them beat us at Wembley. They last made the FA Cup 6th round in 1969. Beat Leeds over two matches in the cup (we always bang on about that). Put Rovers out of the league.

Given they are a pin ***** of a club compared to us, they've done quite well.

I'm giving up now :farmer:

• Robin 1

39 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Believe me, being a Chester fan in the last 25 years or so certainly couldn't be described as dull, although not always for the right reasons.

Just look at the players we sign to understand why it is so boring to be a City fan. When did we last splash any cash on an exciting young goal scoring striker?

Last time I can recall a signing anything like that was Famara. OK he wasn't a world beater but at least the anticipation was there he might be another Kodjia.

Fact is Steve won't spend the money and wages required to get these kind of players in. The plan is to get them cheap from the academy. No ambition, no exciting new strikers to get you off your seat. All stems from Lansdown I'm afraid.

Edited by robin_unreliant
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Malago said:

True, but 15 of the last 17 have been in tier 2.

But that's part of the point, isn't it? How many of those 15 seasons can be described as exciting? 

We've progressed, very slowly. And there hasn't been much to shout about, and certainly no period of sustained success. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

But that's part of the point, isn't it? How many of those 15 seasons can be described as exciting? 

We've progressed, very slowly. And there hasn't been much to shout about, and certainly no period of sustained success. 

Sustained is the key. 2008 aside, on the rare occasions we've had a good season, within 10 games of the next you know it's all gone down the toilet again.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The joke is both were in the fourth tier more recently than us too.

Swansea as late as 2005.

And worse than that, Swansea came within a game of dropping out of the League altogether in 2003. I was at their game against Hull at the Vetch in 2003 which they won to stay up (I was at Uni in Swansea at the time). Of course, both clubs have since surpassed our achievements.

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Supposed it depends on the timescales in question.

10-15 years ago we’d have bit peoples hands off to be a “boring Championship club”. all through my growing up we were a league 1 club with the occasional season in division 1 / championship.

Id say there’s many worse clubs to follow than us - and a few that wish they still existed

Genuine question - which club has been worse to follow than us of the last 40 years in terms of achievement versus expectation and potential?

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

In absolute terms that’s true. But equally I don’t think those clubs have the same potential or expectation for success because they are a lot smaller than us. “Dull” might not be the best word, but I think we are perhaps the most consistently underwhelming. Which is, in itself, pretty dull.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

And worse than that, Swansea came within a game of dropping out of the League altogether in 2003. I was at their game against Hull at the Vetch in 2003 which they won to stay up (I was at Uni in Swansea at the time). Of course, both clubs have since surpassed our achievements.

Like us, both Swansea and Hull got important infrastructure or elements of it in place well before us.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The population of Mansfield is 108k. If as looks likely they make it to League 1 this season, I’d say that trumps anything we’ve achieved in the last 40 years relative to the size of the club. Even just being consistently in League 2 is pretty decent for town half the size of Swindon.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Like us, both Swansea and Hull got important infrastructure or elements of it in place well before us.

They did, although Swansea were in the Premier League within six years of their new ground opening. The redevelopment of Ashton Gate was finished 8 years ago…and we’re no closer.

9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

They did, although Swansea were in the Premier League within six years of their new ground opening. The redevelopment of Ashton Gate was finished 8 years ago…and we’re no closer.

Easier then. No FFP albeit Swansea weren't major spenders. I'm not saying it is the sole reason, they had a good string of managers.and a strong philosophy. The gap was lower.

Us getting to the new ground was merely catching up to a fair few clubs at the level albeit Luton are the big counterpoint there. Training Ground is decent.

We made a huge error sacking NP and his team, Alexander feeling he couldn't push us on here. We are now a shitshow.

• Like 1

The one advantage of supporting dull City is that every 20-30 years there is a really good season which results in promotion. Whether or not it’s worth putting up with the stuff in between is open to debate 

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Rovers 

Definitely worse in absolute terms and have generally been below us in the league. But I would say the potential and expectation is less - from the outside at least. They are probably a bit closer to par than we are given their awful infrastructure, lack of billionaire owner, and the nomadic years.

Basically, football in Bristol is just a bit of a shitshow all round.

Edited by ChippenhamRed

7 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Turning 40 last year really put into perspective just how little City has given me over the years. Four decades of bouncing between the second and third tiers for a club our size is just so depressing. One notable cup run.

I look at fans of other clubs and I’m jealous of the journeys they have been on. Swansea made their way through the leagues and played in Europe. Luton have made it all the way from lowly divisions. Huddersfield, Blackpool, Barnsley, Bournemouth and even Swindon have tasted top flight football. Bradford, Portsmouth and Cardiff have all made it to a cup final. Some of these clubs have suffered since, but at least they’ve had genuinely exciting periods.

I actually think we must be one of the dullest clubs to support in the entire league. I think you could reasonably say that City fans of my generation have seen the least achievement against potential and expectation of ANY set of fans in the entire country. I’m really fed up with it!

Is there any club out there more dull than us when you consider size and potential?

I think actually we’re fairly exciting - granted, success is rare.. but it’s not boring. I’d much rather support City than Arsenal/Spurs/Palace/Everton.. actually an awful lot of Prem sides. Even Man City.. despite all the success I imagine it feels a bit hollow.

I think it must be fun to support Liverpool under Klopp.. Rangers upon returning to the SPL.. Villa under Emery and initially Newcastle under current regime..  and smaller team that gets to the prem against the odds (Luton, Swansea).. I think on this front we’re ok. Our failure is always augmented by the idea that, theoretically, we could be a pretty big club with our catchment area.

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm not sure having brief spells in the top flight in the last 30 years makes a club "not dull".

Reading are a dull club in a dull town with a dull stadium and could yet drop into the bottom division. 

What we are, is the consistently most underperforming club in the land, given some of the advantages we should have. 

Exactly - a club like Reading or Watford; with very little identity, would be boring.

Likewise a Fulham or Burnley; yo-yo club who’s best aspiration realistically is survival or lower-mid table prem. Like being in eternal purgatory. It must be worse to support a club that has a ceiling.. for example, Watford (barring huge investment) can only get so big. We’ve got the luxury, perhaps a curse, of being in a relatively unique situation of being a massively under achieving club relative to our catchment area.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’d much rather support City than Arsenal/Spurs/Palace/Everton..

Really?! Blimey.  To each their own but for European trips and the memories made alone I’d take any of them (bar palace who I don’t think have been there any time recently - even then you’d be getting better away day experiences and at least winning when you get relegated). 

• Like 1