IGNORED

Are we the dullest club in the country?

Turning 40 last year really put into perspective just how little City has given me over the years. Four decades of bouncing between the second and third tiers for a club our size is just so depressing. One notable cup run.

I look at fans of other clubs and I’m jealous of the journeys they have been on. Swansea made their way through the leagues and played in Europe. Luton have made it all the way from lowly divisions. Huddersfield, Blackpool, Barnsley, Bournemouth and even Swindon have tasted top flight football. Bradford, Portsmouth and Cardiff have all made it to a cup final. Some of these clubs have suffered since, but at least they’ve had genuinely exciting periods.

I actually think we must be one of the dullest clubs to support in the entire league. I think you could reasonably say that City fans of my generation have seen the least achievement against potential and expectation of ANY set of fans in the entire country. I’m really fed up with it!

Is there any club out there more dull than us when you consider size and potential?

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 2
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Turning 40 last year really put into perspective just how little City has given me over the years. Four decades of bouncing between the second and third tiers for a club our size is just so depressing. One notable cup run.

I look at fans of other clubs and I’m jealous of the journeys they have been on. Swansea made their way through the leagues and played in Europe. Luton have made it all the way from lowly divisions. Huddersfield, Blackpool, Barnsley, Bournemouth and even Swindon have tasted top flight football. Bradford, Portsmouth and Cardiff have all made it to a cup final. Some of these clubs have suffered since, but at least they’ve had genuinely exciting periods.

I actually think we must be one of the dullest clubs to support in the entire league. I think you could reasonably say that City fans of my generation have seen the least achievement against potential and expectation of ANY set of fans in the entire country. I’m really fed up with it!

Is there any club out there more dull than us when you consider size and potential?

Trust in the behaviours. Manningball will get us to the promised land.

You might be right, under GJ and Cotts it was exciting for a bit. A play off final isn't something to sniffed at, and how can you forget all the Johnstone's Paint Trophy wins!!!

Edited by DaveF

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

I look at fans of other clubs and I’m jealous of the journeys they have been on. Swansea made their way through the leagues and played in Europe. Luton have made it all the way from lowly divisions. Huddersfield, Blackpool, Barnsley, Bournemouth and even Swindon have tasted top flight football. Bradford, Portsmouth and Cardiff have all made it to a cup final.

Not so much the dullest but absolutely one of the most underperforming and least unsuccessful given the potential. That many supporters are happy that we have become an established second tier club backs up that poor record leading to very limited ambitions.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yea bristol roverzz

• Like 1

I’ve said a few times on here before’ I’ve worked all over the country and talked to loads of other clubs fans most just see us as a bit of a nothing club’ you get the odd few who rated us a premier league for hooliganism back in the day .

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

I'm not sure having brief spells in the top flight in the last 30 years makes a club "not dull".

Reading are a dull club in a dull town with a dull stadium and could yet drop into the bottom division. 

What we are, is the consistently most underperforming club in the land, given some of the advantages we should have. 

• Like 15

It's the dullest roller coaster in the world. No dips or peaks, just a slow boring circle. 

I remember as a teenager watching Coventry, Luton and Oxford in the top flight and winning major cups and thinking, I wonder what that feels like, I'm sure we'll get there one day. What a joke. 

Enjoy your day at Wembley Coventry. Maybe one day you could tell us how to do it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We are the reincarnated version of Ipswich under Mick McCarthy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

We are the reincarnated version of Ipswich under Mick McCarthy 

Worse.

If you look at Ipswich's wage bill and transfer spend in McCarthy's last couple of years, it was bottom 3.

He was doing a good job keeping them midtable each season.

To prove my point Adam Webster was on £4.5pw there and we near enough trebled his wages. 

• Like 10

I know this is basically pouring salt in our wounds but we've obviously won whatever the League 1/2 cup is called these days a few times. For that reason, I suspect there are teams in League 1 or 2 that have slightly duller histories but I struggle to think of teams in the Championship who have the same combination of underwhelming history and lack of promotion/relegation drama. That said, worth being careful what we wish for. It's probably more exciting being a League One/Championship Yo-Yo club but I'd rather not go back to it. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Not half as dull as your posts.

51 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I have always thought that being an Everton fan must be incredibly dull.

Absolutely, biggest “nothing” club going in my opinion…..their fans are a bunch of dullards as well, they seem to think they are massive with a great fanbase just because they are from Liverpool.

14 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Not half as dull as your posts.

The Daily Show Reaction GIF by Comedy Central

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think the fact that our club deems it fit to celebrate early round cup wins from 50 and 30 years ago like we actually did something incredible (an actual kit launch ffs) tells us everything we need to know about what we currently are as a club and have been for the last 30 odd years.   It’s stale, it’s stagnant and as you say it’s dull. We really really need new impetus at the top and badly, coupled with people who have proper footballing smarts and nouse.   The amateurs leading our club just need to leave the room as soon as possible.   

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, lenred said:

I think the fact that our club deems it fit to celebrate early round cup wins from 50 and 30 years ago like we actually did something incredible (an actual kit launch ffs) tells us everything we need to know about what we currently are as a club and have been for the last 30 odd years.   It’s stale, it’s stagnant and as you say it’s dull. We really really need new impetus at the top and badly, coupled with people who have proper footballing smarts and nouse.   The amateurs leading our club just need to leave the room as soon as possible.   

Boom

1 hour ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I have always thought that being an Everton fan must be incredibly dull.

It is, my brother supports them but even their battles in my lifetime have been more interesting than our own. 

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

It is, my brother supports them but even their battles in my lifetime have been more interesting than our own. 

At least we've had play offs and promotions. All they've had is relentless mediocrity, albeit at the top level.

16 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Preston are pretty dull and like us have spent a long time in the same two divisions, not quite as long as us though.

Approaching 40 years in those same two middle divisions must be close to a record 

This is our 40th season spent consecutively in tiers 2 and 3.

21 seasons in tier 2 and 19 in tier 3.

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Colby-Tit said:

At least we've had play offs and promotions. All they've had is relentless mediocrity, albeit at the top level.

In my lifetime of watching football they've fought relegation, won the FA Cup, had an FA Cup final, they've never lost their place in the top flight meaning they've had many of a game against the best talent in the Premier League and caused many upsets, they've played European football etc

We've in turn had a semi finals in the mickey mouse Cup, yo-yoed a bit between leagues and our most exciting thing was winning league one and a paint trophy. I'd still say Everton have been more entertaining to watch overall in my lifetime. 

• Like 2