IGNORED

Are we the dullest club in the country?

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This is our 40th season spent consecutively in tiers 2 and 3.

21 seasons in tier 2 and 19 in tier 3.

Doing maths in my head I couldn’t work out if we’d done 40 or about to complete our 40th.

I do know I’ve been there the whole way and it is some record. You can look at many other similar size clubs but just look at our neighbours over the bridge, both Cardiff and Swansea have had top flight football and Wembley cup finals and Swansea even Europe for winning their final.

Why can’t we ever have nice things? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Glen hump said:

If that’s dull I’ll take it all day long ‘ how is winning a major trophy’ European away days and playing prem football dull ‘ really confused.

Then be confused. I find Birmingham City as dull as can be. One of few teams I will not watch on sky. You can love them all you like.

Just now, Nomad said:

Then be confused. I find Birmingham City as dull as can be. One of few teams I will not watch on sky. You can love them all you like.

Don’t love them’ just can’t see huw there dull with what they’ve achieved.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm not sure having brief spells in the top flight in the last 30 years makes a club "not dull".

Reading are a dull club in a dull town with a dull stadium and could yet drop into the bottom division. 

What we are, is the consistently most underperforming club in the land, given some of the advantages we should have. 

Be that as it may, Reading fans have had a much more interesting ride than we’ve had. Two Premier League promotions, a play off final, and an FA Cup semi final at Wembley.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Be that as it may, Reading fans have had a much more interesting ride than we’ve had. Two Premier League promotions, a play off final, and an FA Cup semi final at Wembley.

Some of the most boring games I've watched have been premier league clashes or internationals. Some of the best games I've watched have been non-league - Bath City beating Torquay 4-3. Wells City beating Burnham to take the Somerset Senior Cup. 

Higher level might mean higher skill but it doesn't necessary mean more exciting football. Cotts (and Danny Wilson) probably delivered some of the most exciting football at AG in recent years, but at third tier level.

That doesn't mean we should give up the dream of a return to the top flight and meekly accept possible relegation in order to be "a big fish in a small pond".

But it does mean, it would be nice if we played exciting football as well as at least maintaining our Championship status. We're a dull side currently, but that doesn't make us a dull club.

Underperforming is the word. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Doing maths in my head I couldn’t work out if we’d done 40 or about to complete our 40th.

I do know I’ve been there the whole way and it is some record. You can look at many other similar size clubs but just look at our neighbours over the bridge, both Cardiff and Swansea have had top flight football and Wembley cup finals and Swansea even Europe for winning their final.

Why can’t we ever have nice things? 

The joke is both were in the fourth tier more recently than us too.

Swansea as late as 2005.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Reading are a dull club but that season they won the Championship with 100 and whatever points, crikey, that was something 

Supposed it depends on the timescales in question.

10-15 years ago we’d have bit peoples hands off to be a “boring Championship club”. all through my growing up we were a league 1 club with the occasional season in division 1 / championship.

Id say there’s many worse clubs to follow than us - and a few that wish they still existed

• Like 2

For me Luton is the example that compares most interestingly with us. Top flight football, winning the league cup (and runners up), relegation, vast points reduction, non league, back up the leagues to the Prem and may well survive. If someone told me in advance that would be our journey, I’d take it, albeit when they exited the league system it was probably less fun. Despite the horror of relegation, suspect a lot of us found 75/76, 83/84, 89/90, 97/98, 06/07 and 14/15 amongst our most enjoyable seasons. 

3 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

For me Luton is the example that compares most interestingly with us. Top flight football, winning the league cup (and runners up), relegation, vast points reduction, non league, back up the leagues to the Prem and may well survive. If someone told me in advance that would be our journey, I’d take it, albeit when they exited the league system it was probably less fun. Despite the horror of relegation, suspect a lot of us found 75/76, 83/84, 89/90, 97/98, 06/07 and 14/15 amongst our most enjoyable seasons. 

Yes but - as I remarked to a companion when they beat us at home early in Gary J's reign - however well they do, whatever they celebrate, it won't mask the unspeakable sadness of having to live in Luton....

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This is our 40th season spent consecutively in tiers 2 and 3.

21 seasons in tier 2 and 19 in tier 3.

The thing with this is, following on from the post I just made, is that I think 14 of the last 16 have been in the championship, but before that it was only 6 out of 23.

Thats progress. It’s almost like saying Palace are a boring Premier league club. Again, they’d have bit your hand off for that in the late 90s

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The joke is both were in the fourth tier more recently than us too.

Swansea as late as 2005.

Both got some off-field infrastructure in order more quickly than us, Cardiff moved into new ground in 2009, it helped plus three money, Swansea 2005 plus they had their excellent unfeasibly decent succession planning managerial wise.

Jackett-Martinez-Sousa-Rodgers-Laudrup

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Both got some off-field infrastructure in order more quickly than us, Cardiff moved into new ground in 2009, it helped plus three money, Swansea 2005 plus they had their excellent unfeasibly decent succession planning managerial wise.

Jackett-Martinez-Sousa-Rodgers-Laudrup

Swansea also managed to get theirs virtually for free, not a corrupt use of EU funding at all, oh no.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/european-commission-asks-swansea-council-6457757.amp

Edited by GrahamC

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Swansea also managed to get theirs virtually for free, not a corrupt use of EU funding at all, oh no.

Thanks, I wasn't fully aware of the Funding Structure there. I know they didn't fund it entirely themselves. Wow shall have to read up on that.

This isn't the sole reason for our relative lack of progress, far from it but it does seem that our Local Authority work very much against us compared to others. 

Wales specific aside, I wonder if Aston Villa getting their HS2 money in such a timely manner was entirely on the level oh yes..

...It does seem ours work against us though, both Bristol and North Somerset.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

We're pretty close. I'd say we're almost certainly the dullest club in the top 2 divisions.

Personally I believe this because 99% of the time when I'm asked who I support, and I say "Bristol City" I'm met with silence. A blank face. An "oh right...where are you this season?". Unless the person I'm speaking to is particularly versed in the travails of EFL clubs they just have nothing to say. 

I just find that other fans of football just have...nothing to say about this club. We're not hated, we're not respected, our stadium isn't famous, we've very few nationally notable ex-players, we're neither remembered or loved.

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

The thing with this is, following on from the post I just made, is that I think 14 of the last 16 have been in the championship, but before that it was only 6 out of 23.

Thats progress. It’s almost like saying Palace are a boring Premier league club. Again, they’d have bit your hand off for that in the late 90s

It’s progress of a sort but it’s not exactly maximising the potential. And in reality it’s only getting us back to where we were in the late 60s and 70s, without actually achieving promotion. It’s certainly not success and I’m sorry but celebrating winning 5th round FA Cup ties 50 and 30 years ago does look really tinpot, whoever they were against, and the kind of thing I can’t imagine any other Championship club doing, especially as quite a few have won the thing or been in the final in living memory. While our best in living memory is the 6th round, something even Plymouth have bettered in the past 40 years!

Edited by Dr Balls

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

We're pretty close. I'd say we're almost certainly the dullest club in the top 2 divisions.

Personally I believe this because 99% of the time when I'm asked who I support, and I say "Bristol City" I'm met with silence. A blank face. An "oh right...where are you this season?". Unless the person I'm speaking to is particularly versed in the travails of EFL clubs they just have nothing to say. 

I just find that other fans of football just have...nothing to say about this club. We're not hated, we're not respected, our stadium isn't famous, we've very few nationally notable ex-players, we're neither remembered or loved.

Yes, I worked in London with an older woman who was very into her football.

She could never remember whether I supported Bristol City or Rovers because she knew nothing about either team, from shirt colours down.

I was surprised by this but as we are way out west and have had little national impact then maybe I should not have been.

She was always very nice about it and didn't ever have a go, but genuinely could not differentiate between the two Bristol clubs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

This is true, but then most fans say things like "I'm a Liverpool fan from Essex" or "I'm a Man U fan from Bedford" etc. I'd rather have the delightful self-conferred sense of superiority that comes from supporting your local club - no matter how shit they are.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

This is true, but then most fans say things like "I'm a Liverpool fan from Essex" or "I'm a Man U fan from Bedford" etc. I'd rather have the delightful self-conferred sense of superiority that comes from supporting your local club - no matter how shit they are.

You usually get yeah but who’s your prem club 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

True, true, the plastics that support the top teams will never care about us, just as they don't really care about the other 14 teams in their own division*. But I work/have worked with fans of Sheffield Wednesday, Brentford, Wolves, QPR, Southend, Leicester, Preston, Forest, Leeds, Sunderland, Birmingham, Villa, WBA, and on and on. I'm sure we all have similar lists.

Many show some interest in us if we're in the same division, but what is there to say really? 

"Oh yeh weren't you in the 1909 FA Cup final?"

"Oh yeh you've won the Football League Trophy 3 times haven't you!"

No one knows this stuff and I don't blame them. There's just not a lot to know really. 

It's why I'd taken a season, just one season, in the premier league. It's pathetic really but I'd love just 12 months where a lot of people cared about us - even if all they cared about was how many goals they'd stick past O'Leary.

*Unusually, the exception that I find to this rule are older fans of Man City. They do tend to have an appreciation for the "joy" of supporting a relatively unsuccessful and unglamorous lower division side.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 4