IGNORED

Are we the dullest club in the country?

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Really?! Blimey.  To each their own but for European trips and the memories made alone I’d take any of them (bar palace who I don’t think have been there any time recently - even then you’d be getting better away day experiences and at least winning when you get relegated). 

I’m only saying those clubs because I imagine the novelty of European away days has probably worn off for Arsenal/Spurs fans - ok, Everton admittedly is a bit different.. but you get my point. Clubs that can always predict where or whereabouts they’ll be in the table and what they’ll achieve.

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think actually we’re fairly exciting - granted, success is rare.. but it’s not boring. I’d much rather support City than Arsenal/Spurs/Palace/Everton.. actually an awful lot of Prem sides. Even Man City.. despite all the success I imagine it feels a bit hollow.

I think it must be fun to support Liverpool under Klopp.. Rangers upon returning to the SPL.. Villa under Emery and initially Newcastle under current regime..  and smaller team that gets to the prem against the odds (Luton, Swansea).. I think on this front we’re ok. Our failure is always augmented by the idea that, theoretically, we could be a pretty big club with our catchment area.

Arsenal?! That's a ballsy shout. Sure things went stale in the latter Wenger years, but christ I bet their fans have had some amazing times over the past 30 years. 

• Like 2

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

I’m only saying those clubs because I imagine the novelty of European away days has probably worn off for Arsenal/Spurs fans - ok, Everton admittedly is a bit different.. but you get my point. Clubs that can always predict where or whereabouts they’ll be in the table and what they’ll achieve.

Fair enough.  Give me looking forward to Champions League finals, top 4 finishes, serious title tilts, semis at Wembley, cup finals and cup wins etc etc any day. I disagree massively but like I said fair play to you. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Arsenal?! That's a ballsy shout. Sure things went stale in the latter Wenger years, but christ I bet their fans have had some amazing times over the past 30 years. 

I’m not so sure - I feel like the club culture at Arsenal has been infiltrated by the reactionary YouTuber generation which has cheapened it. Highbury was a proper stadium, but the Emirates (like the Etihad) epitomises a soulless bowl.

Personally i’d find it very boring to support them. This season being an outlier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Fair enough.  Give me looking forward to Champions League finals, top 4 finishes, serious title tilts, semis at Wembley, cup finals and cup wins etc etc any day. I disagree massively but like I said fair play to you. 

It’s all relative though - Arsenal are expected to achieve those things. We aren’t - thus, in my view, it would be more satisfying to support a club like ours with everything to achieve than support a club where - given the invincibles season - that’s probably as good as it’ll ever be.

Saying that though, generally winning must be fun. Regardless of 2016, I imagine supporting Leicester this season is fun.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s all relative though - Arsenal are expected to achieve those things. We aren’t - thus, in my view, it would be more satisfying to support a club like ours with everything to achieve than support a club where - given the invincibles season - that’s probably as good as it’ll ever be.

Saying that though, generally winning must be fun. Regardless of 2016, I imagine supporting Leicester this season is fun.

Sorry but that sounds crazy to me. Everything to achieve? If you reckon we’ll be in a Champions League quarter final and top of the premier league at any time before every contributor to this forum curls their toes up, I’ll have a pint of what you’re on. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’m not so sure - I feel like the club culture at Arsenal has been infiltrated by the reactionary YouTuber generation which has cheapened it. Highbury was a proper stadium, but the Emirates (like the Etihad) epitomises a soulless bowl.

Personally i’d find it very boring to support them. This season being an outlier.

I guess it depends what kind of supporter you are as well.

As someone that did lots of England away games and counts those days as some of the best of my life, I find the idea that a lifetime of Middlesbrough and Rotherham away being comparable to regular European trips to Camp Nou and Westfalenstadion, absolutely absurd.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Not so much the dullest but absolutely one of the most underperforming and least unsuccessful given the potential. That many supporters are happy that we have become an established second tier club backs up that poor record leading to very limited ambitions.

Totally agree . So many fans seem to view the Championship as the pinnacle of achievement and that staying there with no hope of success is somehow enjoyable . It’s a sport and everyone involved in sport as either a fan or a player surely wants to experience the highs of success and I really can’t fathom how mediocrity is so popular with some . 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Surely for us '76-'80 was as good as its ever going to get.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I guess it depends what kind of supporter you are as well.

As someone that did lots of England away games and counts those days as some of the best of my life, I find the idea that a lifetime of Middlesbrough and Rotherham away being comparable to regular European trips to Camp Nou and Westfalenstadion, absolutely absurd.

5 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Sorry but that sounds crazy to me. Everything to achieve? If you reckon we’ll be in a Champions League quarter final and top of the premier league at any time before every contributor to this forum curls their toes up, I’ll have a pint of what you’re on. 

very well, I think differently. 

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm not sure having brief spells in the top flight in the last 30 years makes a club "not dull".

Reading are a dull club in a dull town with a dull stadium and could yet drop into the bottom division. 

What we are, is the consistently most underperforming club in the land, given some of the advantages we should have. 

maybe a brief spell in the top flight doesn't make you 'not dull', but it's the journey to get there and the promotion(s) before it that I envy...

I've had a season ticket 12 or 13 years and the highlight was promotion from L1 (and the cup run under LJ). One and a half seasons out of 12. Meh.

7 hours ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I have always thought that being an Everton fan must be incredibly dull.

Maybe, but the relegation scraps in recent years have perhaps proved otherwise. 

Give that a watch if you get a few spare

Especially when it gets to the spirt of the blues part (2:05)

Edited by OliOTIB

‘Excitement’ is a tough thing to pin down in football. For example a relegation battle is exciting because it’s horrible, you’re nervous for every game and every point is vital. But if I offered anyone on here an on the spot 10 point deduction for City and therefore a relegation battle, can’t imagine many take it! 

Excitement by way of winning honours is easier to measure as the internet contains records of absolutely everything of note ever won. And in terms of our current 23 league rivals, we fall low on that list. No majors, only one second division league title way back in the early 1900’s! 

The League 1 clubs are more where we land in that regard, I think we’d probably be top 8 or so against those clubs. 4 titles at that level is bettered only by Argyle I believe. 

I did once see a ‘yo-yo club comparison’ that looked at all League clubs and counted how many times they had changed division, but can’t find it now. Rotherham for example, rarely a dull moment. Battling for promotion one season, survival the next and so on and so on. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

My family are Arsenal season ticket holders and believe me were begging people to take tickets until the last couple of years. Arsenal fans dislike Wenger these days, totally blame him for years of failure and running the club as a CEO, not manager. The atmosphere there now is electric, North London Forever as a song which premiered on All or Nothing from Arteta, has become their YNWA. Something special going on there and they will for me dominate English football again with the quality they have and age of squad but mainly togetherness of fans, management. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85

40 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Middlesbrough just exude dullness.

FA Cup finalists, Premier League promotions, Ravanelli, Juninho, Emerson.

They might exude dullness and I wouldn’t want to live there, but they’ve seen a lot more excitement in the past few decades than we have.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

One of my favourite authors on sports geography/sociology, John Bale, refers to them as "concrete sports saucers" which I think must be the best description for these stadiums going today.

3 hours ago, DolmanGaz said:

maybe a brief spell in the top flight doesn't make you 'not dull', but it's the journey to get there and the promotion(s) before it that I envy...

I've had a season ticket 12 or 13 years and the highlight was promotion from L1 (and the cup run under LJ). One and a half seasons out of 12. Meh.

Being an old fart I remember our Division One days!

It has to be Plymouth or us although they had a couple of flirtations with relegation to non-league recently but have never played top flight football.

Palace have always struck me as a pointless club and have also never won anything of note. A bit like us but usually one league higher. Even just briefly trying to remember anything exciting about them and the only things that came to mind were the FA Cup Semi Final v Liverpool in 1990 and the Cantona Kung-Fu incident!

Edited by fgrsimon

10 hours ago, trickydickiecardigan said:

Dull ? what do you expect from a bunch of accountants..,. think they should take up lion taming much more exciting!

Only if they wear hats that light up and say Lion tamer on them.

20 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Turning 40 last year really put into perspective just how little City has given me over the years. Four decades of bouncing between the second and third tiers for a club our size is just so depressing. One notable cup run.

I look at fans of other clubs and I’m jealous of the journeys they have been on. Swansea made their way through the leagues and played in Europe. Luton have made it all the way from lowly divisions. Huddersfield, Blackpool, Barnsley, Bournemouth and even Swindon have tasted top flight football. Bradford, Portsmouth and Cardiff have all made it to a cup final. Some of these clubs have suffered since, but at least they’ve had genuinely exciting periods.

I actually think we must be one of the dullest clubs to support in the entire league. I think you could reasonably say that City fans of my generation have seen the least achievement against potential and expectation of ANY set of fans in the entire country. I’m really fed up with it!

Is there any club out there more dull than us when you consider size and potential?

No.There isn’t. In my case it’s 58 years , with only two notable seasons.

The way I look at it is that I have a wonderful wife , lovely kids and now grandsons, good health and am financially comfortable in retirement . It’s been a good life, but no one gets it all , so if there is going to be a f@#k up in my life , better City than any of the above ☝️ 

COYRs, and please don’t flog off what little talent we have left in the summer. See you all in August 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

The blood and thunder of football is reduced to a cold and calculated chess match, almost literally, given the opposition player (in this case City) is effectively waiting to make their move depending on where the player (in this case West Brom) choose to play the ball. Real-life Subbuteo, in a way.

By
James PiercySports Editor

08:28, 17 MAR 2024

WTF