IGNORED

BBC explains City yoof policy

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The academy is credited with Alex Scott in that piece which we all know isn’t valid.  Good to hear the work going into Knight-Lebel.  

But how many minutes has he actually played!?

• Flames 1

"This has been a long process, this hasn't happened overnight. This probably started with Brian Tinnion, who is now our technical director," Bristol City player pathway manager Trevor Challis told BBC Sport.

Its just so transparent.

It says we want to be a Cat 1 academy but both Jon Lansdown and Tinnion have said we haven’t. They just get a consistent message on anything.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Alot of puff pieces coming out all of a sudden, its as if the club knows they f'd and are now running damage limitation

You want to quell the unrest instead of running puff pieces in the media do better by the fans please

They could have easily run this same piece with Blackburn.

Just 'happens' to be a focus on us, written by the BBC editorial author for the West of England (Sophie Hurcom covers some of our game write ups) who happens to have contact with the club via BBC Bristol.

It's a fluff piece. About the one topic I don't doubt Tinnion's knowledge of.

Ultimately doesn't mean alot when we're sliding down the table in a nothing season with Conway likely to leave for prospective pennies in the summer.

Edited by Fuber

It been a long standing ambition of SL to have a squad made up with a combination of youth and experience that’s capable holding its own in the Championship and pushing for the promised land. This article shows that much of ambition is being fulfilled- apart from the ultimate ambition of reaching the PL.

Let’s not forget that Tinnion played an impressive part in developing and raising the profile of our academy and maybe his elevation into his current position is a reward for his efforts. I really don’t think that he deserves all the shit that he gets on here.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

It been a long standing ambition of SL to have a squad made up with a combination of youth and experience that’s capable holding its own in the Championship and pushing for the promised land. This article shows that much of ambition is being fulfilled- apart from the ultimate ambition of reaching the PL.

Let’s not forget that Tinnion played an impressive part in developing and raising the profile of our academy and maybe his elevation into his current position is a reward for his efforts. I really don’t think that he deserves all the shit that he gets on here.

I'd didn't have an issue with Tinnion heading up the academy.

But as I pointed out onto he 2024 record thread - none of the players in the first team over the last years (Bell, Conway, O'Leary, Vyner, Reid, Bryan) aside from Scott (SL/Dale Vance), and Semenyo are attributable to him. As he was head of player recruitment up until Probert left, he only became director (officially) then (https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/tinnion-appointed-academy-director/)

He should not be both Technical Director and Academy Director - end of story.

• Like 5
  • Flames 3

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

if that was the case, they should have made him assistant td under someone who knows what they are doing so he could learn from it before jumping into the deep end

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

57 minutes ago, westonred said:

The trouble is we dont see the benefits of the Academy as soon as a player is good enough we sell 

Our past Business model and subsequent failings of said Business Model rather forced our hand with a number of these.

The rest now is Pring, Conway and maybe others if they attract interest. We don't have to sell for FFP reasons.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Still think it's dubious to credit the academy with Semenyo, Scott and Pring. All were in it for a short time but they're hardly academy "produced". 

Narrative narrative narrative 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, westonred said:

The trouble is we dont see the benefits of the Academy as soon as a player is good enough we sell them

If they are sold for good fees, the cash can be used to build the squad and to keep us within FFP limits. It is a vital part of our club.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Still think it's dubious to credit the academy with Semenyo, Scott and Pring. All were in it for a short time but they're hardly academy "produced". 

Yeah, whilst you can’t pick everyone up at 8 years of age, there’s probably some qualification we as fans add to this to give a truer sense of “produced” isn’t there?

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

If they are sold for good fees, the cash can be used to build the squad and to keep us within FFP limits. It is a vital part of our club.

I bet if you looked at the cost of our academy in the last 10 years or so and the transfer fees received, it would show a better return than the “buy to sell” strategy.  Not saying we should therefore abandon buy to sell, but we should challenge / critique its success (lack of) and ask why we’ve not done very well in this respect.

1 hour ago, westonred said:

The trouble is we dont see the benefits of the Academy as soon as a player is good enough we sell them

Which should be an issue as long as we recruit well enough - as to whether BT can spot a (not-youth) player is a different story.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I bet if you looked at the cost of our academy in the last 10 years or so and the transfer fees received, it would show a better return than the “buy to sell” strategy.  Not saying we should therefore abandon buy to sell, but we should challenge / critique its success (lack of) and ask why we’ve not done very well in this respect.

I would expect that the wages paid to youth products will be lower as well. Win win!  All we lose is experience and know how, and that has to be bought in.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agreed Dave.

We shouldn't go back to buy to sell (IMO). Exception not rule.

It was a product of its time, It was ultimately unsuccessful in so far as we didn't go up and we ended up in a mess..NP rightly called it bonkers.

That was what alarmed me more than a possible slowdown in spending when SL rambled on about nest eggs. A possible revisiting of that.

• Flames 1

As noted, a bit of a puff piece.

The 30% thing I think has to be put in context - nobody expects 2-3 players to break through to consistent first team players every year but there has to be a point where, similar to not classing them as “young” players, they’re not lumped in with academy players to prove a point. Max O’Leary is 10 years older than Ephraim Yeboah for example and is nearer 30 than 20, as is Zak.

It’s fine pointing to Tommy, Sam as academy and proof things are working - or have been and were under Pearson. And it’s also true to say there’s been an intent to not play players to focus on the youth cup which has impacted the pathway. But I’m not sure that - collectively - it can be argued for players coming through the academy in the last five years that this season we’re a massive outlier from the norm.

1 hour ago, johnbytheriver said:

A lot of this is down to Nige! 

I'm glad Nigel did get a mention/credit. He certainly worked hard not only bringing young players into the First team but encouraging the First team to go down to the HPC.  

Edited by E.G.Red
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I am going to err on the side of positivity here and say that most pro success stories depend on a player moving around a bit to other clubs whether on loan or permanent moves. It is part of how they develop and mature as players and people.

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Completely agree.  Who has actually came through the academy and either played a lot of games or been sold for good money?

O’Leary

Kelly

Bryan

Reid

Vyner

Cant think of anyone else.  Is 5 a good return over the period of Tinnion’s involvement? Hard to say