IGNORED

SOTC - Fans Panel (live now)

Davefevs

59 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The fact that Hadwin appeared according to posts here shocked by the guests outrage at where we are says everything about Radio Drivel sports department. If my memory serves the reporters Messrs Hoskin Brookman and Durden have been robbing a living along with Hadwin for years but it’s been highlighted exponentially since GT left. 

Brookman is the gas summariser so drivel is to be expected.

Hadwin and Durden imo. do a reasonable job considering neither are Bristolians but obviously won't have the same passion for City as they do the teams they support - Swindon and Portsmouth respectively iirc.

Ray is a long term City fan and he's growing on me, and all I know about Hoskin is I find him an annoying commentator.

In fact we've got Ray, Sims, Honor and Owers (despite his roots) all keen followers of City so as far as radio Bristol is concerned we've probably got more informed representation than ever before.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just checked.

Under  NP- 15 goals, 14 games.

Fleming- 1 goal, 1 game.

Manning- 28 goals, 23 games BUT 3 penalties and 1 own goal.

Weighted for that 24 from 23..about the same if not proportionally worse.

So penalties and own goals don't count now?

14 hours ago, Fuber said:

Pretty sure, just to flag, that 16 in 15 is 1.067pg....

Compared to Manning's 1.26, thats thats nearly 20% worse (0.18) is it not?

McKenna Appointed 16/12/2021;

Following 12 games - DWWLWWLWWDWD. 7W, 3D, 3L. As been stated previously.

image.gif.e096207bfecac66ba123716848961158.gif

2 losses. 

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed.

I'd sooner we keep Conway and see how we can build around.

Plus if it is a big physical number 9 we need, then that doesn't really feed into possession and quick play.

Putting aside the fact I'm pro keeping Conway and seeing how we can service him better and improve the side, the idea of a big physical sticker doesn't even (IMO) make that much sense strategically if we are recruiting to this plan.

Agree keep Conway. Wondering what type of player Langstaff is, just have a funny feeling that's who they are eyeing up.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Agree keep Conway. Wondering what type of player Langstaff is, just have a funny feeling that's who they are eyeing up.

Keep at what cost though? Clearly Conway hasn’t signed because the number isn’t high enough. But how high do you go for a striker that has 9 goals this season, 3 of which were penalties. Tinnion did say it was someone abroad they were eyeing up.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well yes but they're relatively rare events. By the same token we have conceded 2 own goals and 4 penalties under Manning. 5 actually but O'Leary saved it.

3 conceded 1 saved since Manning arrived.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Brookman is the gas summariser so drivel is to be expected.

Hadwin and Durden imo. do a reasonable job considering neither are Bristolians but obviously won't have the same passion for City as they do the teams they support - Swindon and Portsmouth respectively iirc.

Ray is a long term City fan and he's growing on me, and all I know about Hoskin is I find him an annoying commentator.

In fact we've got Ray, Sims, Honor and Owers (despite his roots) all keen followers of City so as far as radio Bristol is concerned we've probably got more informed representation than ever before.

I suspect most would put GT as the most informed Bristol football representative. So I can’t go along with that. He’s gone right?

None of any that have been mentioned are incisive with interviews and have been a bit rubbish for a long time, with GT holding it together for years!

How informed they are I will bow to your knowledge of the individuals, perhaps they can continue (as noted before) to up their journalism and interview abilities to match their informed status and get back the listeners(many of whom post here) they have lost!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CityReds said:

Keep at what cost though? Clearly Conway hasn’t signed because the number isn’t high enough. But how high do you go for a striker that has 9 goals this season, 3 of which were penalties. Tinnion did say it was someone abroad they were eyeing up.

Considering how economical with the truth they've been lately it's probably Seb returning from his loan in Wales.

Edited by Steve Watts
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, CityReds said:

Probably circa £3 million. But that is money you don't have anyway. Then factor in cost of new striker on higher wages. No guarantees that the striker Tinnion is hinting at will score more than 9 goals, particularly if playing Manningball.

Replace the coach, change the system, keep Tommy (yes you may have to let him go for nothing in 12 months), if he scores 9 or so between August and December you may get a fee for him in January.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Probably circa £3 million. But that is money you don't have anyway. Then factor in cost of new striker on higher wages. No guarantees that the striker Tinnion is hinting at will score more than 9 goals, particularly if playing Manningball.

Replace the coach, change the system, keep Tommy (yes you may have to let him go for nothing in 12 months), if he scores 9 or so between August and December you may get a fee for him in January.

He won't be free if he stays in England at the end of his contract (and technically not if he goes to a UEFA club either but far less compensation). If we keep him, it's in our interests to play to his strengths and get a goalscoring season out of him.

I know people hate Pearson vs Manning comparisons, but it's not really in doubt that Pearson created value in our players and I argue that Manning is actually devaluing them.

• Like 10
  • Flames 3

7 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I suspect most would put GT as the most informed Bristol football representative. So I can’t go along with that. He’s gone right?

None of any that have been mentioned are incisive with interviews and have been a bit rubbish for a long time, with GT holding it together for years!

How informed they are I will bow to your knowledge of the individuals, perhaps they can continue (as noted before) to up their journalism and interview abilities to match their informed status and get back the listeners(many of whom post here) they have lost!

GT became very accomplished although he was very Rovers biased initially for some time, regularly interviewing his old Rovers mates 'Ollie', 'Boris' Mehew etc and reliving their old dressing room in -jokes and chumminess, which was irritating, and it took him some years before he cut out that crap and emerged as the respected figure he eventually became among City fans.

Don't forget he left RB at one time to become assistant to Hollowhead at Rovers and had a bit of a nightmare in his early RB days with his OTT countdown to 'Judgment Day' before a Bristol derby which ended in serious trouble.

He certainly became a good interviewer and held SL to account, although I saw less evidence of probing questions towards Rovers!

Sims and Ray are long term fans and Owers and Honor previous long serving players who have genuinely strong feelings the club so I think we're better served than ever for City representation on RB, None of these are interviewers to compare with GT at his best when it comes to pushing awkward questions although I think Owers is definitely showing recent signs of getting there.

Hoskin, Durden and Hadwin all have to commentate and chat about Rovers just as much as the do City so they can't be partisan in any way even if one of the local clubs was in their blood (which they aren't) and as non Bristolians this suits them, as does having ex-City players with more knowledge and experience of the club to talk things over with.

They all let themselves down in my book by screaming about 'fantasic play by Rovers', 'brilliant goal by the gas', 'the Mem's rocking' etc none of which seem remotely possible to me but it's part of the job to appear excited and hype them up I suppose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

He won't be free if he stays in England at the end of his contract (and technically not if he goes to a UEFA club either but far less compensation). If we keep him, it's in our interests to play to his strengths and get a goalscoring season out of him.

I know people hate Pearson vs Manning comparisons, but it's not really in doubt that Pearson created value in our players and I argue that Manning is actually devaluing them.

Genuine question... Is that England or the UK... Because if it's the former then Rangers and Celtic may well be circling.

21 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Technically, but imo not meaningfully.

Pearson was on 16 in 15 this season; 1.14 p/g

Manning on 29 in 23; 1.26 p/g

It's really a very small difference considering you can't actually score part of a goal.

General shots against and shots on target against are basically the same. xG against is actually slightly better under Manning.

Edit: also, it is deteriorating under Manning. Over his first few games it did appear that we'd tightened up a little at the back, but it's gone downhill in recent games.

All very interesting statistics BUT, we are losing and it is very very boring

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CityReds said:

Someone Mannings work with before abroad perhaps. Pretty risky as we don't seem to do well with signings from abroad.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

GT became very accomplished although he was very Rovers biased initially for some time, regularly interviewing his old Rovers mates 'Ollie', 'Boris' Mehew etc and reliving their old dressing room in -jokes and chumminess, which was irritating, and it took him some years before he cut out that crap and emerged as the respected figure he eventually became among City fans.

Don't forget he left RB at one time to become assistant to Hollowhead at Rovers and had a bit of a nightmare in his early RB days with his OTT countdown to 'Judgment Day' before a Bristol derby which ended in serious trouble.

He certainly became a good interviewer and held SL to account, although I saw less evidence of probing questions towards Rovers!

Sims and Ray are long term fans and Owers and Honor previous long serving players who have genuinely strong feelings the club so I think we're better served than ever for City representation on RB, None of these are interviewers to compare with GT at his best when it comes to pushing awkward questions although I think Owers is definitely showing recent signs of getting there.

Hoskin, Durden and Hadwin all have to commentate and chat about Rovers just as much as the do City so they can't be partisan in any way even if one of the local clubs was in their blood (which they aren't) and as non Bristolians this suits them, as does having ex-City players with more knowledge and experience of the club to talk things over with.

They all let themselves down in my book by screaming about 'fantasic play by Rovers', 'brilliant goal by the gas', 'the Mem's rocking' etc none of which seem remotely possible to me but it's part of the job to appear excited and hype them up I suppose.

👍🏿 

I get so annoyed at the passionless stuff. The one guy in particular who is just so bloody condescending to supporters while being as probing as a jam donut!

• Like 1

Not going to go through the points made but finished listening and wanted to say very well done to@petehinton @ELJones and Del.   Didn’t agree with everything said, especially Del on a few bits, but it was all done in a grown up, sensible and most importantly passionate manner.  Good on you all.  The host was still far too protective of the hierarchy for my liking but again fair enough, he’s got a job to protect.  @Davefevs excellent at the end as well (notice the interviewer didn’t challenge your figures like he did earlier in the piece!) 

• Like 3

• Admin
4 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Genuine question... Is that England or the UK... Because if it's the former then Rangers and Celtic may well be circling.

England unfortunately. Manning’s Tommy probably does go to Glasgow. Nigel’s Tommy probably was Prem bound.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I’ve never understood why they’ve not gone down the route of having dedicated City and Rovers reporters like most stations of a similar size.

They’ve kept everything pretty comfortable for a long time now and, like much of BBC English Regions, are probably a bit guilty of the whole “we’re doing it this way because this is how we’ve always done it”.

That said, working in local radio sport is bloody difficult. People almost become trapped in it because there’s simply no pathway or route to a bigger/better level, and subsequently no turnover of staff, which personally I think is really unhealthy.

It’s basically the primary reason I got out of it within 18 months or so. I scratched the itch of commentating on Bristol City for the BBC - which was a bit of a dream come true - but sticking around wasn’t going to do much for my career.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lenred said:

Not going to go through the points made but finished listening and wanted to say very well done to@petehinton @ELJones and Del.   Didn’t agree with everything said, especially Del on a few bits, but it was all done in a grown up, sensible and most importantly passionate manner.  Good on you all.  The host was still far too protective of the hierarchy for my liking but again fair enough, he’s got a job to protect.  @Davefevs excellent at the end as well (notice the interviewer didn’t challenge your figures like he did earlier in the piece!) 

Think About It GIF by Identity
🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

On 26/03/2024 at 19:48, The Journalist said:

I’ve never understood why they’ve not gone down the route of having dedicated City and Rovers reporters like most stations of a similar size.

They’ve kept everything pretty comfortable for a long time now and, like much of BBC English Regions, are probably a bit guilty of the whole “we’re doing it this way because this is how we’ve always done it”.

That said, working in local radio sport is bloody difficult. People almost become trapped in it because there’s simply no pathway or route to a bigger/better level, and subsequently no turnover of staff, which personally I think is really unhealthy.

It’s basically the primary reason I got out of it within 18 months or so. I scratched the itch of commentating on Bristol City for the BBC - which was a bit of a dream come true - but sticking around wasn’t going to do much for my career.

In my youth each local club very much had it's own RB reporter - Herbie Gillam in City's case, and later on Phil Tottle was the long term City reporter and Colin 'massive Rovers following' Howlett did the gas for many years too.

Maybe that changed when GT took over. In your case although it must have been great to commentate on City iirc you were lumped with a lot of Rovers games too, which really can't have been much fun being such a keen City fan. Perhaps if you'd been offered doing City full time you may have been encouraged to hang around the local sports scene for a bit longer.

Note the likes of Herbie Gillam and Phil Tottle were not young men when they started their RB reporting and probably not particularly ambitious or keen to move on, or out of the area. More than happy to be known as the 'Bristol City reporter', though in PT's case he did the cricket in the summer too.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad