IGNORED

Lee Trundle - Under the Cosh

9 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

There's probably a lot more that he could have said about GJ

I thought that too. He was honest to a point and referenced some examples; although in some of those he sounded a bit unprofessional, something Trundle recognises with hindsight. Despite a clear fallout with GJ he did recognise he was successful. 

I remember hearing the hat story around the time it happened and that summed up my opinion of GJ’s management style. It worked in the lower leagues, but he couldn’t manage the better players’ egos. His boy is cut from the same cloth. Both awful man managers. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 3

38 minutes ago, tin said:

I remember hearing the hat story around the time it happened and that summed up my opinion of GJ’s management style. It worked in the lower leagues, but he couldn’t manage the better players’ egos. His boy is cut from the same cloth. Both awful man managers. 

Now you’ve gone and done it.

• Haha 4

I think a major issue LJ has is that he's neither 1 thing or another. He wants to be the progressive forward thinking manager that measures grass, utilises drones & learns from other high performance industries. However the apple rarely falls far from the tree & he can't resist lobbing hand grenades into the dressing room when things go awry.

If you think what GJ achieved then it's really hard to be critical of him. Yes his approach has a ceiling but lest not forget he got Yeovil to the Championship - that's akin to getting Luton to the Prem.

I have no idea why, but it always felt to me that GJ falling out with Basso was the pivotal point after which he/we never recovered.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tin said:

hmmm.... our most successful manager since dicks... maybe it wasnt his strong point. But he's did better than every other city manager in my time.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

I think a major issue LJ has is that he's neither 1 thing or another. He wants to be the progressive forward thinking manager that measures grass, utilises drones & learns from other high performance industries. However the apple rarely falls far from the tree & he can't resist lobbing hand grenades into the dressing room when things go awry.

If you think what GJ achieved then it's really hard to be critical of him. Yes his approach has a ceiling but lest not forget he got Yeovil to the Championship - that's akin to getting Luton to the Prem.

I have no idea why, but it always felt to me that GJ falling out with Basso was the pivotal point after which he/we never recovered.

Totally agree!

3 hours ago, tin said:

GJ's team finished in it's highest position since the 70s and never finished out of the top 10 in the championship once we got here, so he couldn't of been a bad man manager as that just wouldn't of happened, we've not got back to that level since his sacking

Limited yes, poor absolutely not

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, tin said:

Despite turning down an approach from Derby County in the summer of 2005, Johnson became Bristol City's target when their manager Brian Tinnion resigned that September. Yeovil agreed compensation terms and he became City's manager on 26 September 2005. Despite their lowly position of 22nd in the table, City's fortunes turned around under Johnson and a great run of form in the second half of the season saw them in play-off contention, eventually finishing ninth after a run of 55 points from 36 games.

Johnson won the League One Manager of the Month award for April 2006. After a 2006–07 season (including an 18 match unbeaten run), Johnson won the award again in March 2007 after successfully guiding his side to 16 points from seven games the previous month. This had set Bristol City in a good spot to contend for automatic promotion, which they sealed on 5 May 2007 with a 3–1 home win over Rotherham on the last day of the season.

On 6 September 2007, Gary Johnson and assistant Keith Millen both signed 2+12-year contract extensions keeping them at the club until 2010.

In the 2007–08 season, he kept Bristol City in the top six of the Championship for almost the entire season and in the top two for a long time; the team were the surprise package of the season. Bristol City eventually lost the play-off final to Hull City at Wembley and were not promoted to the Premiership. Johnson made his players stay on the pitch after the match and watch the Hull City players celebrate as a motivational experience for the next campaign.

In the summer before the 2008–09 season, he broke the club record for a transfer fee in signing 21-year-old Nicky Maynard from Crewe Alexandra for £2.25 million.

Bristol City's once-famous chant of 'Johnson says bounce around the ground' was inspired by Gary Johnson who was quoted to saying in an interview before a league game that he wanted the fans bouncing around.

In September 2008, Johnson signed a new five-year contract with Bristol City, to keep him at the club until 2013.[3] The club ended the season with another top ten finish and on 18 March 2010, with the club comfortably in mid table, the club issued a statement that Johnson had "left his post as manager of Bristol City by mutual consent"

• Robin 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, The Batman said:

My colleague came in to work this morning and told me he'd listened to this. He asked me about Ivan sproule so I'm guessing he got a mention somewhere.

Great era for City around this time. 

He said he's one of the quickest players he's seen

And that he couldnt keep up 🤣

Edited by Riaz

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

He said he's one of the quickest players he's seen

And that he couldnt keep up 🤣

I showed him the Southampton goal where he pelted by the defenders when the keeper went up for a corner. As pacey players go in my city supporting lifetime, very few would have been faster than he. 

Anyway, back on Trundle, loved watching him play, even at Swansea with all the tricks, flicks etc. Just something different back in the day. Delighted when we signed him. One would assume he spent most of his career in lower leagues (league 1 and below) bar his time with us? Even when he went on loan to Leeds, they were division below us at the time. 

8 minutes ago, The Batman said:

I showed him the Southampton goal where he pelted by the defenders when the keeper went up for a corner. As pacey players go in my city supporting lifetime, very few would have been faster than he. 

Anyway, back on Trundle, loved watching him play, even at Swansea with all the tricks, flicks etc. Just something different back in the day. Delighted when we signed him. One would assume he spent most of his career in lower leagues (league 1 and below) bar his time with us? Even when he went on loan to Leeds, they were division below us at the time. 

Correct, other than when he returned to Swansea on loan from us, they were Championship at the time.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tin said:

my coffee is now on the floor. DO you know how long it takes a turtle to make a coffee? Took us from deep dodo in league 1, to one game from the promised land. multiple top half finishes! and then there is getting Yeovil to the championship. Humans, honestly. it is true what that say, live long enough and every hero becomes a villain; note how this did not happen to the teenage mutant ninja turtles, heroes for life, no drama. us turtles have class!

how did I do? we are playing a game about who can post most ridiculously, right?

Edited by The turtle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Now you’ve gone and done it.

Well, it is an international break! 😅

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Can't agree that Gary was an "awful" man manager. You don't squeeze what he did out of a limited group of players, taking them to the top end of the Championship if your man management skills are poor.

His methods were old school and I agree had a ceiling, much in the same way someone like Cotterill did.

If we're looking at who maximised the potential of their careers, then let's not forget Gary made the most of his, but there's a reason Lee Trundle certainly didn't. 

Awful may have been harsh, but you know from back then I thought he should’ve gone long before he did. 

7 hours ago, Riaz said:

hmmm.... our most successful manager since dicks... maybe it wasnt his strong point. But he's did better than every other city manager in my time.

No doubt he did well, but most successful manager since Dicks?! How do you define that? 

For me, I judge it on silverware and Cotts gets that accolade for winning a league title and a cup. 

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

GJ's team finished in it's highest position since the 70s and never finished out of the top 10 in the championship once we got here, so he couldn't of been a bad man manager as that just wouldn't of happened, we've not got back to that level since his sacking

Limited yes, poor absolutely not

Fair comment, Gumbo. 

Edited by tin

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

The biggest issue I have with GJ is the mess he left when he went.

He did exactly the same at Yeovil second time round.

Zero foundations. 

You could argue that at Yeovil he actually smashed the foundations in.......................

56 minutes ago, tin said:

No doubt he did well, but most successful manager since Dicks?! How do you define that? 

For me, I judge it on silverware and Cotts gets that accolade for winning a league title and a cup. 

I could not disagree more.

League one we are a massive club. Championship is where we are tested. 

21st in the champ is better than any finish in league one. 

And we saw Cotts struggle in the championship. 

Even when things were bad under GJ we were still usually top half of the table 

• Like 6