IGNORED

Lee Trundle - Under the Cosh

3 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

Robbored doesn’t like facts, it’s probably his memory in old age to be fair, everyone starts to forget the truth. 

He knows the facts, he just can’t accept that they’re true

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely right Kid - a one trick pony who suffered from ‘little man’s’  syndrome and his man management style eventually got him sacked.

A one trick pony, but is our best manager since dicks.

Not bad a bad trick i'd say!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

If anything, all this video shows, was Trundle's attitude stank, had no respect for the club. He enjoyed being the big man in league one, and wasted himself here. He can say that he didn't take to Johnson etc, but the fact is, he knows he didn't want to graft, work hard for his place, and when he didn't get his way, threw his toys out the pram. Yes, he was a good player, but he took the royal out of us. 

For me he's another Tomlin...

Didn't make the most of considerable talent at his disposal.

• Admin

Trundle wanted to be inspired by his manager not to go on a bender in Magaluf 4 days before the season began.

The largest pay contract of his career wasn't enough inspiration to be professional.

Although, I suppose to his credit, he seems to now accept his attitude was wrong.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Trundle wanted to be inspired by his manager not to go on a bender in Magaluf 4 days before the season began.

The largest pay contract of his career wasn't enough inspiration to be professional.

Although, I suppose to his credit, he seems to now accept his attitude was wrong.

I also think, on Gary Johnson's part - he was signing a player, who had never really been that proffessional and who didnt really fit the team he was coming into.

1 hour ago, Super said:

He'll dispute that and say Danny Wilson!

I know. A manager who had a ridiculous team and couldnt get out of league one 🤣

Edited by Riaz
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Super said:

He'll dispute that and say Danny Wilson!

I would definitely dispute it.

Of all the players I spoke with during GJs reign not one had anything positive to say about him. Much of that was down to nepotism and LJ starting ahead of far better players and GJ running the club like a family corner shop.

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Of all the players I spoke with during GJs reign not one had anything positive to say about him. Much of that was down to nepotism and LJ starting ahead of far better players and GJ running the club like a family corner shop.

I’m sure his son had something positive to say about him.

Id be equally sure that players who signed for him at both Yeovil and City such as McIndoe, Jevons, Williams etc had positive things to say about him or they wouldn’t have signed for him again.

And had you watched the playoff season properly you’d have noted that our run of poor form that cost us promotion coincided exactly with LJ being injured. And as a group of professionals the team would have known that and appreciated his value to the team, even if your blind grudge doesn’t.

Recently you’ve fabricated a conversation with Colin Sexstone. Considering the above I’d say it’s safe you’ve fabricated these conversations as well.

Where are these players Robbo? Are they in the room with you now?

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 7
  • Flames 2

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Problem is you aren't exactly a reliable, unbiased source of information on this because GJ humiliated you.

Of course there were some players that had an axe to grind with GJ, like Cole Skuse because LJ started ahead of him, but generally GJ built a squad with great team spirit which was often more than the sum of its parts.

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Had he beaten Hull, he could have ran it like a supermarket

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Problem is you aren't exactly a reliable, unbiased source of information on this because GJ humiliated you.

Of course there were some players that had an axe to grind with GJ, like Cole Skuse because LJ started ahead of him, but generally GJ built a squad with great team spirit which was often more than the sum of its parts.

:rofl2br:

David Noble was another.

But hey……it was 20 odd years ago and plenty of water under the bridge since then.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Whilst I accept that it's become fashionable for players to do these pod interviews as LT has done, the stories are all told long after the event when all concerned have moved on or retired.

I just don't believe that players would slag off their current manager to a fan , and not just one player but every player you spoke to? 

It's obvious bullshit and made up to fit your agenda. Everyone can see it.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Trundle smacks of a Steve Lansdown vanity signing. 

My recollection is having managed to get promotion with a strike force of free transfers (Jevons & Showunmi) we were shocked at the wage demand disparity with L1.

We went for 2 strikers (it might well have been Leon Best & Luke Varney, but not 100%, it was a long time ago now) & other clubs blew us out of the water & so very late in the summer we signed Trundle who was already 30 (31 that October) & had never played at that level.

He wasn’t quite good enough in truth & clearly his attitude wasn’t the best, but rather than a vanity signing I think we simply underestimated the gap.

Sensational season though, his contribution to it was minor but I’ll never forget the Palace goal.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Sensational season though, his contribution to it was minor but I’ll never forget the Palace goal.

Two distinct recollections from that era - the Freddie Sears ‘ghost’ goal that clearly went in but bounced straight out off the metal bar holding the net down that wasn’t given - made worse when GJ would not allow City to award Palace a walk through goal. Simon Jordon has since referred to it several time on Talk Sport and that in the boardroom he threw coffee over SL after the match.

The other was the stunning David Noble screamer at Selhurst Park,  two distinct memories both against Palace.

Edited by Robbored

48 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My recollection is having managed to get promotion with a strike force of free transfers (Jevons & Showunmi) we were shocked at the wage demand disparity with L1.

We went for 2 strikers (it might well have been Leon Best & Luke Varney, but not 100%, it was a long time ago now) & other clubs blew us out of the water & so very late in the summer we signed Trundle who was already 30 (31 that October) & had never played at that level.

He wasn’t quite good enough in truth & clearly his attitude wasn’t the best, but rather than a vanity signing I think we simply underestimated the gap.

His transfer fee probably paid itself back with that goal against Palace.

He scored a good one up at Carrow Road too which I was right behind. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

His transfer fee probably paid itself back with that goal against Palace.

He scored a good one up at Carrow Road too which I was right behind. 

Early in the season he got a double against Scunthorpe (one was a brilliant lob) & that was our first league win.

Definitely kickstarted a great start, we only lost once until November.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

If anything, all this video shows, was Trundle's attitude stank, had no respect for the club. He enjoyed being the big man in league one, and wasted himself here. He can say that he didn't take to Johnson etc, but the fact is, he knows he didn't want to graft, work hard for his place, and when he didn't get his way, threw his toys out the pram. Yes, he was a good player, but he took the royal out of us. 

Agree with this,  he loved showing off his skills on Soccer AM, think it was the "showboat".. and he always appeared on this part of the show while playing for Swansea.  Expected that just to continue when he signed for BC and to score loads of goals but he was asked to be a team player when he preferred to be the main man.  Clearly lacking in pace going by his own words and unwilling to take his hat off in training as he never heads the ball?!  It is sad to see that he never did anything after leaving us and ended up moving to Neath.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

He got the sack because he turned us into to a team that was going down. Losing 6 nil to Cardiff should have been the end of him here. 

Losing a play off final isn't a success. Getting us into the Championship was granted. 

A team that was going down?

When he was sacked we were 15th and 7 points clear of relegation with 9 games left. Our form wasn't great, but there was little chance of relegation.

In fact, if all you can say about his tenure here is that he was taking us to league one, that speaks volumes. 

As for getting us promoted being 'granted', that's clearly rubbish. We'd spent the last 7 seasons in league one and had finished 9th the season before. Perhaps we were one of the favourites, but league one at that stage was known for having very few stand out sides. There was nothing granted whatsoever about us getting promotion, and nobody expected what followed the season after

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

If he can take a sinking ship destined for league 2, and within 2 and a bit years have them one game away from the promised land, he can run a corner shop for me any day of the week. The bloke was a winner. If he told a ew players a few home truths and it got to them, it says more about them. His approach got the best out of players who had never achieved anything at that level before. If anything, the only problem was we ended up going after players who thought they were bigger than the club, and they wouldn't take to his style and ethos. 

You may not like him, and you're entitled to do so, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to ignore, belittle and brush under the carpet what he achieved with players that when he landed at our club looked league two players in waiting, is comical to say the least. 

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

28 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Agree with this,  he loved showing off his skills on Soccer AM, think it was the "showboat".. and he always appeared on this part of the show while playing for Swansea.  Expected that just to continue when he signed for BC and to score loads of goals but he was asked to be a team player when he preferred to be the main man.  Clearly lacking in pace going by his own words and unwilling to take his hat off in training as he never heads the ball?!  It is sad to see that he never did anything after leaving us and ended up moving to Neath.  

I agree with this overall. 

Despite his flaws I liked Trundle when he was here, and he did admit in the interview several times that his attitude was wrong and that Johnson despite his flaws actually achieved a lot. He probably wasn't quite fit enough for this level and the defenders are a lot sharper. He scored a 3 crackers I'll never forget though. 

I also think people bashing Gary Johnson for his man management would have a very different reaction if Famara  Diedhiou or Nicky Maynard said that they had refused to take off their hats in training as they didn't fancy heading the ball, and also admitted they got pissed up before the start of the new season. 

Edited by Rebounder
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

So…

By that logic can I deduce that you will be happy with Liam Mannings performance this season and stop calling for him to be sacked? After all, by that logic the progress Nige was making is no more a success than Liam will deliver come May, and even if Liam had delivered the fabled top six, it wouldn’t matter without promotion as that would be no more of a success than finishing 20th.

The truth is that success is relative and depends on the base and resource. By that measure, GJ was a success as he outperformed his resource level in that first season. Same way as if Luton stay in the prem it will be a success, if Plymouth stay in the championship season one it will be a success. 

Its relative.

Losing is not a success in my opinion. 

You can be content with what you have achieved but to consider losing to be a success is tinpot. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3

26 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

A team that was going down?

When he was sacked we were 15th and 7 points clear of relegation with 9 games left. Our form wasn't great, but there was little chance of relegation.

In fact, if all you can say about his tenure here is that he was taking us to league one, that speaks volumes. 

As for getting us promoted being 'granted', that's clearly rubbish. We'd spent the last 7 seasons in league one and had finished 9th the season before. Perhaps we were one of the favourites, but league one at that stage was known for having very few stand out sides. There was nothing granted whatsoever about us getting promotion, and nobody expected what followed the season after

We would have gone down that season or the season after if he would have stayed. He didn't build a legacy here. The team he had built was not very good and things had turned toxic. 

That was maybe poorly worded by me, what I meant was him getting us out of league one was a success, granted. 

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Losing is not a success in my opinion. 

You can be content with what you have achieved but to consider losing to be a success is tinpot. 

So the only successful managers are the ones who win the Premier League (or respective first divisions) then?

Would you say Rob Edwards has been a success at Luton?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We would have gone down that season or the season after if he would have stayed. He didn't build a legacy here. The team he had built was not very good and things had turned toxic. 

That was maybe poorly worded by me, what I meant was him getting us out of league one was a success, granted. 

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion. 

When he left he had us closer to 8th than relegation, things weren't as rosy as they were a few years earlier, but we weren't looking down the barrel of relegation by that stage.

Regardless of whatever happened by the end of his tenure, he's the best manager the clubs had since Alan Dicks, his success up until 2009 highlights that

Edited by JBFC II
  • Like 2

Just now, JBFC II said:

So the only successful managers are the ones who win the Premier League (or respective first divisions) then?

Would you say Rob Edwards has been a success at Luton?

Youre taking this conversation off in a different direction. 

Staying in the premier league and earning an extra 100+ million is a success. 

The Premier league is a different beast to the Championship. 

But the reality is if you lose the Championship play off final the outcome is the same of finishing midtable, another season in the Championship. 

• Confused 2
  • Facepalm 1