IGNORED

Wells

JAWS

Whatever he is now or isn’t, I’ve never stopped marvelling at his attitude though.
 There were times during NP’s time here, when he wasn’t played much if at all and similarly to now, wasn’t getting full games, yet I never saw him reacting badly or not trying. 

He could be forgiven for being a bit negative in his attitude, yet I remember reading an article on him a few years ago and he couldn’t have spoken better about being at Bristol City and about what a great manager NP was, which really pleasantly surprised me, given what was happening to him at the time. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Personally I wouldn't waste any money on a "back up player"

So what you doing then?

Paying up the last year of his contract?

Then presumably signing a replacement for him, Conway (definitely off) & Cornick (probably so).

This isn’t Football Manager, any attempt to move him on will cost more than honouring the last year of his deal.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JAWS said:

What was up with him yesterday? I was urging LM to bring TC off as he looked knackered but Wells looked like he'd been on the p*ss! So lethargic and disinterested. I couldn't have blamed LM if he had subbed him & much as it pains me, HC's energy would've been more effective at that late stage.

I think you mean uninterested....sir

• Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

I think you will find that 'disinterested' can have the meaning he intends.

Cambridge Dictionary

having      no personal involvement or receiving no personal advantage, and therefore free to act fairly:
a disinterested observer/judgment
a piece of disinterested advice
Note:
  • Disinterested is sometimes used to mean not interested, but many people consider this use to be incorrect. Compare uninterested.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, PortInTheMorning said:

Cambridge Dictionary

having      no personal involvement or receiving no personal advantage, and therefore free to act fairly:
a disinterested observer/judgment
a piece of disinterested advice
Note:
  • Disinterested is sometimes used to mean not interested, but many people consider this use to be incorrect. Compare uninterested.

Although language pedants would have you believe that 'many people' consider it to be incorrect, the reality is that most people don't give a fig. From the same page of the Cambridge dictionary...

disinterested adjective (NOT INTERESTED)

not interested:
Unlike most boys his age, he was totally disinterested in cars or girls.

(Definition of disinterested from the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary © Ca

Incidentally, you will no doubt be aware that the two words have changed meaning over the years and that for a true traditionalist, they mean the opposite to that which you would have us believe.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

Although language pedants would have you believe that 'many people' consider it to be incorrect, the reality is that most people don't give a fig. From the same page of the Cambridge dictionary...

disinterested adjective (NOT INTERESTED)

not interested:
Unlike most boys his age, he was totally disinterested in cars or girls.

(Definition of disinterested from the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary © Ca

Incidentally, you will no doubt be aware that the two words have changed meaning over the years and that for a true traditionalist, they mean the opposite to that which you would have us believe.

Are you American? That is quoted from the American section of the dictionary.

• Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, JAWS said:

What was up with him yesterday? I was urging LM to bring TC off as he looked knackered but Wells looked like he'd been on the p*ss! So lethargic and disinterested. I couldn't have blamed LM if he had subbed him & much as it pains me, HC's energy would've been more effective at that late stage.

TC looks knackered because he is playing as a lone striker, if TC and Wells were on the pitch together at the same time (instead of being subbed for the other)  like they were last season then that would relieve the load on TC 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aipearcey said:

Thought that he must’ve been Ill after the match. When the players going around clapping, he was hunched over and looked totally ruined.

Yeah noticed a couple of players go up to him checking if he was ok

Certainly not uninterested or disinterested today.

Important winning goal & looked very lively when he came on.

140th League goal of his career.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 12

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Certainly not uninterested or disinterested today.

Important winning goal & looked very lively when he came on.

140th League goal of his career.

I'd go as far as to say he was interested - in scoring. As tbf he always is. 

• Like 1

On 31/03/2024 at 19:06, PortInTheMorning said:

Are you American? That is quoted from the American section of the dictionary.

Sorry, I was distracted by De Ronde van Vlaanderen on Sunday and was too hungover yesterday to respond.

I am not American and hadn't noticed that it was in the American section. How careless of me. Nevertheless, this is not a question of British English versus American English. The oldest meaning of "disinterested" is that which you ascribe to "uninterested" (See Oxford English Dictionary (2nd ed., 1989), “disinterested,”) and is still a perfectly valid meaning of the word, albeit frowned upon by the verbally discriminating. Given that there was no ambiguity (cf. "the barrister is disinterested in the proceedings.") I really don't see your issue with the original poster's usage, particularly on a football forum containing far more heinous grammatical faux pas.

• Like 2

I think he’s lost a yard of pace which makes a difference to his game, where he would be able to turn and get in front of the defender to go through on goal, invariably he’s having to physically battle for the ball. The Leicester game was a really good example of that. That’s not to say he’s finished but it does remove one of his strengths.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Top pro who must question his move to our club. 

I'm not so sure on that.

He was obviously having a good season on loan at QPR when he joined but he was nonetheless at a parent club that didn't want him and we offered him a permanent move. Since then, he's had spells in and out the team but he has played more games than he's missed and his managers seem to find him positive, happy and settled. 

I'm sure any striker wants to be first on the team sheet and banging in 20 goals a season but the move to Burnley did not work out for him at all and QPR moved for him on loan a second time rather than signing him permanently. I suspect he doesn't see the move as a disaster. 

• Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

56 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

I think he’s lost a yard of pace which makes a difference to his game, where he would be able to turn and get in front of the defender to go through on goal, invariably he’s having to physically battle for the ball. The Leicester game was a really good example of that. That’s not to say he’s finished but it does remove one of his strengths.

Personally i think we need an upgrade, he's a very likeable guy and i hope he proves me wrong next season, will be interesting to see which strikers we sign in the summer particularly if Conway leaves as expected, there are big question marks over all our current strikers for various reasons (too young, too old, too crap)

4 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Personally i think we need an upgrade, he's a very likeable guy and i hope he proves me wrong next season, will be interesting to see which strikers we sign in the summer particularly if Conway leaves as expected, there are big question marks over all our current strikers for various reasons (too young, too old, too crap)

A decent CF is apparently a priority in the summer window.

its been really frustrating when City get into decent crossing positions with no ‘presence’ in the box.

None of City’s current forwards are crap Tom - they’re all victims of Mannings style of play which frequently provides poor supply.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A decent CF is apparently a priority in the summer window.

its been really frustrating when City get into decent crossing positions with no ‘presence’ in the box.

None of City’s current forwards are crap Tom - they’re all victims of Mannings style of play which frequently provides poor supply.

Perhaps Crap is too strong a word, to be honest our supply to the strikers has been an on-going problem for quite a while, luckily we have the 4th best defence in the league 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colemanballs said:

Sorry, I was distracted by De Ronde van Vlaanderen on Sunday and was too hungover yesterday to respond.

I am not American and hadn't noticed that it was in the American section. How careless of me. Nevertheless, this is not a question of British English versus American English. The oldest meaning of "disinterested" is that which you ascribe to "uninterested" (See Oxford English Dictionary (2nd ed., 1989), “disinterested,”) and is still a perfectly valid meaning of the word, albeit frowned upon by the verbally discriminating. Given that there was no ambiguity (cf. "the barrister is disinterested in the proceedings.") I really don't see your issue with the original poster's usage, particularly on a football forum containing far more heinous grammatical faux pas.

We are football fans, not interested in this sort of rubbish.. grow a pair and stop your petty rubbish 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Colemanballs said:

Thanks. Yes I didn't (did not) realise it was University Challenge 😁

• Like 1