IGNORED

Shirt?

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You might not have liked the design of the previous home shirt. But the quality, fit, finish and colours of the Hummel shirts were a world apart from the utter crap Oneil are producing for us - and we’re still being charged the same price.

The sooner we bin off this market stall standard crap the better. We look so amateur.

The quality really showed when we played Leeds. Our shorts looked dirty grey and flimsy compared to theirs.

I really liked the style and quality of the Hummel kit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, real_bristol said:

Bayern Munich 1985-90. Just has to be with the adidas three stripes and originals logo IMO. Our red though, I think theirs is darker. 

Home: red with white stripes

Away: white with red stripes

Third: Purple with lime stripes

Something like this:

https://www.footballshirtculture.com/vintage-football-shirts/bayern-munich-1987-88-adidas-home-shirt.html

yes that looks cool. Simple, means business 

2 hours ago, Antman said:

there must be a strong designer out there who knows their stuff

Take a look at the Robe De Kappa range , some are great, some wild but they have raised the Venezia profile.

robedikappaveneziafootballshirts-GoogleSearch.jpeg.thumb.png.e6c38fb454885a406d840b0f26dbc85c.png

some would cause a riot on here 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Take a look at the Robe De Kappa range , some are great, some wild but they have raised the Venezia profile.

robedikappaveneziafootballshirts-GoogleSearch.jpeg.thumb.png.e6c38fb454885a406d840b0f26dbc85c.png

some would cause a riot on here 🤣

I always liked the Kappa shirts of the Italians #Tottilovespineapple

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I took a trip down Google's memory lane as I wondered when we last had no mention of anything retro or similar. I make it 2017/18.

23/24 - for the second home kit in a row we went straight up retro "The red and white pinstripe shirt, which was inspired by the 1989/90 'Hirerite' kit..."

22/23 - straight retro home kit "City has turned back the clock for the 2022/23 home shirt with a 1950s-style kit for its men’s and women’s teams."

21/22 - nod, nod, nod with "‘One for the Bristol City’ is printed on the inner back hem and B.C.F.C. features on the back of the neck – both of which are a nod to when the club crest previously appeared centrally on a playing shirt."

20/21 - no nods, but a big tribute as "City have launched their new 2020/21 home shirt which pays tribute to the Ashton Gate Eight."

2019/20 - was a special year as this was the season we had the mash up 125 year kit "Including nine different kits dating back to the club’s 1894 birthdate...". A kit now notable for being what we wore in our final game prior to the Covid-19 shutdown.

We also did a cringe-inducing April fool's joke where we announced that "Inspired by City’s 1909 FA Cup final kit, the club will wear a bold blue coloured away shirt next season." 

2018/19 - home kit was "original", but this season it was the away kit that did the nodding with "...the return of the crest featuring a Robin perched on a football in front of the iconic Clifton Suspension Bridge. It hints at the kit of the late 1980s, an era which saw City lift the Football League Trophy in 1986, followed by promotion from the old Third Division in 1989."

2017/18 - first season I can see where there was no nodding, no tribute, no retro.

2017/18 was a pin stripe remake of the 86 kit

Not sure 21/22 is really a retro, all 3 kits were new styles.

All the adidas and puma shirts were fairly original designs, and tbf so were most of the Bristol Sport ones - 17/18 actually the exception in being retro.

Since then retro has had a comeback all across the board so can see why the club have done it but I agree I'd like to see something more modern next time.

I’d quite like them to let Jon Lansdown off the leash and use his creative genius honed at fever pitch to devise the most hated kit possible. 

Onyego as sponsor, Robin badge in LGBT colours, made by O’Neills, font in comic sans.. would really like to see what he’d come up with

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1

We complained about the Bristol Sport kits, but they were halcyon days compared to O'Neills (the promotion year kits were a thing of beauty - the colour schemes of those three should be our defaults most years).

If not O'Neill's then who?  I'd love to see us back in Umbro

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’d quite like them to let Jon Lansdown off the leash and use his creative genius honed at fever pitch to devise the most hated kit possible. 

Onyego as sponsor, Robin badge in LGBT colours, made by O’Neills, font in comic sans.. would really like to see what he’d come up with

You know an element of our fanbase would still be falling over themselves to get it

5 hours ago, Antman said:

Do you recall the 'NIBOR' shirt brand - another example of one of the many doom loops we are so effortlessly capable of getting into. (money saving exercise by the club at the time)

as with so much with BCFC it comes down to the quality of decision making at senior management level, and we all know Steve doesn't like a challenge so we have inexperienced and seemingly inept people in positions of decision making. (not power) and then there's Jon...

I agree entirely about the 'retro' thing - are we not capable of finding a contemporary kit design that also translates into the leisure wear?

and while we all know kit manufacturers are more than happy to appear to reinvent the wheel in order to up their sales (Burnley wet look anyone?) there must be a strong designer out there who knows their stuff.

ONeils seem to trying to break into the mainstream Football market having got the Irish stuff and some rugby under their wing but look at their catalogue, its a sea of indifference and a lot just looks cheap and nasty (our yellow shirts for example, how can you get a colour wrong?)

I think we all want better, but have no one at the club we can hand on heart say is capable of delivering. kind of sad that.

Someone at the club would have approved that yellow colour. These things don’t “just get made”. And if the colour in production came out as different to the standard, then the club would have negotiated a discount and taken the stock or they would have had the opportunity to cancel the order. Happens all the time in retail - it’s standard terms.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Someone at the club would have approved that yellow colour. These things don’t “just get made”. And if the colour in production came out as different to the standard, then the club would have negotiated a discount and taken the stock or they would have had the opportunity to cancel the order. Happens all the time in retail - it’s standard terms.

The faded yellow look is consistent with the shirt it was supposed to hark back to wasn't it?  The 1989 version wasn't a bright yellow either (I had one it was my first City shirt)

Bristol City Away football shirt 1988 - 1990. Sponsored by ...

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

2017/18 was a pin stripe remake of the 86 kit

+

11 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

We had pin stripes 17/18 as a nod didn't we?

If we did, then I couldn't find an express mention by the club that those stripes were a rethink/nod/reimagining of any prior kit.

There are ultimately only so many designs you can do with "mostly red and a bit of white" on a kit. Add in FA kit regulations and other factors and repeat or similar designs are inevitable. I focussed on looking for instances where the club had expressly said the design was "retro" in some way.

Here's the press release from 2017 https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/new-home-kit-for-201718-revealed/

Not sure 21/22 is really a retro, all 3 kits were new styles.

I didn't say they were specifically "retro", but they did lean on historic elements in their marketing, and the marketing uses this term "a nod" to past kits.

All the adidas and puma shirts were fairly original designs, and tbf so were most of the Bristol Sport ones - 17/18 actually the exception in being retro.

Yes. I was just trying to find the last season where we didn't have any kind of retro/nod/reimagined element. 

I did not conduct a forensic or exhaustive review of our kits. I googled a bit whilst having breakfast. My methodology was not perfect.

Since then retro has had a comeback all across the board so can see why the club have done it but I agree I'd like to see something more modern next time.

Yeh 80s/90s retro is en vogue because people (like me) who were young then now have disposable income and decision making power coupled with a powerful nostalgia and desire to relive their halcyon days.

Jon, if you're reading this then announce a red and white tie-dye kit with neon trim now you coward!

Edited by ExiledAjax

2 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

The faded yellow look is consistent with the shirt it was supposed to hark back to wasn't it?  The 1989 version wasn't a bright yellow either (I had one it was my first City shirt)

I don't like the faded, washed out look of any colour. Maybe it sends me a subliminal message of tiredness or worn out or something, sort of a Sunday pub team kit that hasn't changed for 10 seasons. Much prefer a strong tone of almost any colour, sends the right messages to my brain, even luminous colours like Arsenal's stripy away kit.

5 hours ago, jambodinho said:

Malaga CF released their 120th anniversary shirt this morning and it’s sold out in no time. Looks great 

IMG_9200.png

That is lovely. Might have to add it to my collection when I head there in the summer.

Recently purchased this beauty (which wouldn't look out of place as a City away shirt):

image.png

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

3 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Ha. This was probably one of my last. Loved it though. I like the new version as well, apart from the badge obviously. 

30 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Would love it to not be O’neills. It’s just such poor quality.

I don't buy the kits, so I can't comment on quality, but I must say the yellow kit looks cheap. However, I do like the current black kit.

• Like 1

40% off the yellow kit being advertised last night. Wonder how many of them they ever sold? Can't say I remember seeing many.

Hope for everyone's sake the club just play it safe this year - no "nods to tradition", no "homages to the past", no "celebrations" of this or that. Call me a cynic. 

Just a good quality red shirt please. Too much to ask?

Probably end up with something from the Zak Vyner range.

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I don't buy the kits, so I can't comment on quality, but I must say the yellow kit looks cheap. However, I do like the current black kit.

Against Leeds our shorts looked dirty grey and nylony. I did order the black away shirt but returned it because of the quality of the cut and fabric. 
I just wish the players looked smarter in their kit, including the warm up stuff and the coaches stuff. 
The range is so disjointed with the aqua black training gear that doesn’t ‘fit in’