IGNORED

Shirt?

I think if it is going to be retro then go full retro rather than 10 to 15 years back.

The home kit will always be close to previous years, the away kit is where the wiggle room is obviously.

I would want strong colours, whatever they are, nothing that looks faded or washed out like this seasons yellow and green. That is why I liked the lime and purple.

I like this season's kit, although it's probably due to my era as it takes me back to the Jordan team of 1990. 

It does also make us look like forest though.

As a personal preference, I like round necks and hate collars. 

A round neck top of just red and white will always be my preference. No other colours, particularly black, as the last time we had black on the shirt we got relegated. As I knew we would as soon as I saw it. 🤣

Used to love the purple and lime for the away kit, but now it smacks too much of Tinnion. 😡

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The one thing I wonder is, do they have the same level of design ability as someone like Hummel or Castore , if not then that leaves the door open for Jon , which is worrying.

I think Jon wants the door to be open, unfortunately.

• Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I think it'll be a retro shirt, harking back to the 23/24 season, to commemorate the famous dumping of West Ham from the FA Cup.

I think this is the way to go, traditional is out dated. Claret and blue at home to celebrate beating West Ham. Red and white stripes, away, to commemorate demolishing Southampton by two, maybe three goals. Blue and white third kit with the dates of the Leicester win and narrow defeat at Ipswich embroidered into them. 
purple and lime tracksuits with celebrating BT image across the back. 

Job done, over to you Jon and I look forward to seeing the finished effort. 

• Like 2

It will be red and white, I don’t wear football shirts, so it doesn’t really bother me, but it would be nice if the next kit had just a bit of imagination to make it different 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I think this is the way to go, traditional is out dated. Claret and blue at home to celebrate beating West Ham. Red and white stripes, away, to commemorate demolishing Southampton by two, maybe three goals. Blue and white third kit with the dates of the Leicester win and narrow defeat at Ipswich embroidered into them. 
purple and lime tracksuits with celebrating BT image across the back. 

Job done, over to you Jon and I look forward to seeing the finished effort. 

Good, but you missed a variation on the blue and white third kit to commemorate City’s 1-0 FA Cup final defeat to Man Utd in 1909. 

IMG_5723.jpeg

10 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Good, but you missed a variation on the blue and white third kit to commemorate City’s 1-0 FA Cup final defeat to Man Utd in 1909. 

IMG_5723.jpeg

Good point. Next season is the 116th anniversary - surely worth celebrating! 😂

It’ll also be 45 years since we last played in the top flight…. Maybe one not to celebrate…. 

Edited by Mendip City

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

The one thing I wonder is, do they have the same level of design ability as someone like Hummel or Castore , if not then that leaves the door open for Jon , which is worrying.

Nutshell

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Jon and his crayons?

In all seriousness, it does remind me of a four-year-old bringing you a picture. 

"No!... it's NOT going on the fridge! I don't care if you ARE four. It's shit!!"

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nutshell

Jon is going to surprise us and reveal the new ONeils/ City / Robe De Kappa collaboration isn't he 🤣 * *

* * I would forgive him almost everything if he did , they are brilliant designers 😍 ***

*** Kappa , not ONeils 

3 minutes ago, glastored said:

For all those fans who love the purple and lime kit, would you still feel the same if the colours were reversed, with lime shirt and purple shorts?!

Nope. IMO The green works as an accent colour, but green shirts don't work.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, glastored said:

For all those fans who love the purple and lime kit, would you still feel the same if the colours were reversed, with lime shirt and purple shorts?!

No, as the shirts would blend in with the grass. I would, however, like the red & white kit reversed - i.e white shirts with red shorts. 

• Like 2

I wish they brought back the days where the kit was released before the end of the year, and you wear it on the last day of the season. 

The kit has surely already been designed 

• Like 1

Bayern Munich 1985-90. Just has to be with the adidas three stripes and originals logo IMO. Our red though, I think theirs is darker. 

Home: red with white stripes

Away: white with red stripes

Third: Purple with lime stripes

Something like this:

https://www.footballshirtculture.com/vintage-football-shirts/bayern-munich-1987-88-adidas-home-shirt.html

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I say you’re right.

Either some sort of version of the top flight one or the shirt that we wore when we beat Leeds in the FA cup would be ideal.

That having been said, I quite like our current one, far better than that Arsenal/ Rotherham abomination that preceded it.

You might not have liked the design of the previous home shirt. But the quality, fit, finish and colours of the Hummel shirts were a world apart from the utter crap Oneil are producing for us - and we’re still being charged the same price.

The sooner we bin off this market stall standard crap the better. We look so amateur.

• Like 3

How about for once we don’t go retro? What’s the point in harking back to previous periods in our history all the time…when our history is so limited in terms of success?

I’d like to see a classy, minimalist design, in a deep, vibrant red, with a great fit and good quality materials, made by a proper manufacturer and sold for a reasonable price that recognises that fans are not made of money during a cost of living crisis. No dicking about with the crest.

Too much to ask? Probably.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

49 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You might not have liked the design of the previous home shirt. But the quality, fit, finish and colours of the Hummel shirts were a world apart from the utter crap Oneil are producing for us - and we’re still being charged the same price.

The sooner we bin off this market stall standard crap the better. We look so amateur.

Fair enough.

I haven’t worn a football shirt in probably 25 years now.

I just think the white sleeves (which I appreciate we wore in the 50s) just isn’t what you would associate with us now.

Whoever makes the shirt it has to be predominantly red.

Personally I’d prefer a white away one with the third kit for when we play Stoke, Sunderland, Sheff U, Southampton as purple & lime.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

How about for once we don’t go retro? What’s the point in harking back to previous periods in our history all the time…when our history is so limited in terms of success?

I’d like to see a classy, minimalist design, in a deep, vibrant red, with a great fit and good quality materials, made by a proper manufacturer and sold for a reasonable price that recognises that fans are not made of money during a cost of living crisis. No dicking about with the crest.

Too much to ask? Probably.

I'll do one point at a time.

1) Retro ? .... Exactly what I said on page 1 , I'm bored with it now. Lets have a new design.

2) Design ? ....  I wonder how much freedom they would be given at ONeils to submit designs. Would Jon want to be in on it ? The rest they can do. The size , hard to please all the people i guess , but there's no reason ONeils can't do , minimalist , vibrant red and quality materials.

3) Cost ? ... the Club must set the cost as we have been more expensive than other Clubs using the same  manufacturers . I don't see that changing . If they sell 5,000 shirts at £50 ( £250,000 ) then reducing the cost by £10 ( 200,000 ) they would have to shift over another 1,000 shirts . They obviously don't think it works. 

My PoV is they are over priced for an average product that relies on the love of the Club over value for money.

4) Badge ? ...  Well , with luck Jon would have been aware of the feeling about that and would have learnt a valuable lesson and wouldn't make that mistake again.

5) Proper manufacturer ? ... As I put in my post, City ( Jon ) signed a multi year contract with ONeils . How many "multi" is I don't know , but I expect it's 2 years minimum , though IMO it implies 3 . I think we are with them for the coming season , but looking at the away , black kit , maybe they can come up with something good . I know that shirt has the logo from around 1974 , but if it was plain or patterned black it would be decent . 

I think much of what we have disliked of kits recently has been down to Jon Lansdown . The Robin , over reliance on Retro etc . I don't necessarily blame him for going with ONeils in the first place. They had to find someone to do shirts in about a tenth of the time it normally takes to design and supply shirts . But unless they held him to ransom , why sign a multi year deal with a fairly small supplier ? Then I would ask why let yourself be held to ransom when you would be one of their biggest customers ?  The answer is it was Jon L ! 

In short , most of it IS too much to ask.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'll do one point at a time.

1) Retro ? .... Exactly what I said on page 1 , I'm bored with it now. Lets have a new design.

2) Design ? ....  I wonder how much freedom they would be given at ONeils to submit designs. Would Jon want to be in on it ? The rest they can do. The size , hard to please all the people i guess , but there's no reason ONeils can't do , minimalist , vibrant red and quality materials.

3) Cost ? ... the Club must set the cost as we have been more expensive than other Clubs using the same  manufacturers . I don't see that changing . If they sell 5,000 shirts at £50 ( £250,000 ) then reducing the cost by £10 ( 200,000 ) they would have to shift over another 1,000 shirts . They obviously don't think it works. 

My PoV is they are over priced for an average product that relies on the love of the Club over value for money.

4) Badge ? ...  Well , with luck Jon would have been aware of the feeling about that and would have learnt a valuable lesson and wouldn't make that mistake again.

5) Proper manufacturer ? ... As I put in my post, City ( Jon ) signed a multi year contract with ONeils . How many "multi" is I don't know , but I expect it's 2 years minimum , though IMO it implies 3 . I think we are with them for the coming season , but looking at the away , black kit , maybe they can come up with something good . I know that shirt has the logo from around 1974 , but if it was plain or patterned black it would be decent . 

I think much of what we have disliked of kits recently has been down to Jon Lansdown . The Robin , over reliance on Retro etc . I don't necessarily blame him for going with ONeils in the first place. They had to find someone to do shirts in about a tenth of the time it normally takes to design and sully shirts . But unless they held him to ransom , why sign a multi year deal with a fairly small supplier ? Then I would ask why let yourself be held to ransom when you would be one of their biggest customers ?  The answer is it was Jon L ! 

In short , most of it IS to much to ask.

Do you recall the 'NIBOR' shirt brand - another example of one of the many doom loops we are so effortlessly capable of getting into. (money saving exercise by the club at the time)

as with so much with BCFC it comes down to the quality of decision making at senior management level, and we all know Steve doesn't like a challenge so we have inexperienced and seemingly inept people in positions of decision making. (not power) and then there's Jon...

I agree entirely about the 'retro' thing - are we not capable of finding a contemporary kit design that also translates into the leisure wear?

and while we all know kit manufacturers are more than happy to appear to reinvent the wheel in order to up their sales (Burnley wet look anyone?) there must be a strong designer out there who knows their stuff.

ONeils seem to trying to break into the mainstream Football market having got the Irish stuff and some rugby under their wing but look at their catalogue, its a sea of indifference and a lot just looks cheap and nasty (our yellow shirts for example, how can you get a colour wrong?)

I think we all want better, but have no one at the club we can hand on heart say is capable of delivering. kind of sad that.

• Like 1

For the away shirt I'd like purple with lime trim similar to Norwich away kit or Fiorentinas  and for home kit something similar to Ajax kit. But most importantly it must feature a recognisable robin in all its red breasted glory.

Edited by E.G.Red
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Retro ? .... Exactly what I said on page 1 , I'm bored with it now. Lets have a new design.

I took a trip down Google's memory lane as I wondered when we last had no mention of anything retro or similar. I make it 2017/18.

23/24 - for the second home kit in a row we went straight up retro "The red and white pinstripe shirt, which was inspired by the 1989/90 'Hirerite' kit..."

22/23 - straight retro home kit "City has turned back the clock for the 2022/23 home shirt with a 1950s-style kit for its men’s and women’s teams."

21/22 - nod, nod, nod with "‘One for the Bristol City’ is printed on the inner back hem and B.C.F.C. features on the back of the neck – both of which are a nod to when the club crest previously appeared centrally on a playing shirt."

20/21 - no nods, but a big tribute as "City have launched their new 2020/21 home shirt which pays tribute to the Ashton Gate Eight."

2019/20 - was a special year as this was the season we had the mash up 125 year kit "Including nine different kits dating back to the club’s 1894 birthdate...". A kit now notable for being what we wore in our final game prior to the Covid-19 shutdown.

We also did a cringe-inducing April fool's joke where we announced that "Inspired by City’s 1909 FA Cup final kit, the club will wear a bold blue coloured away shirt next season." 

2018/19 - home kit was "original", but this season it was the away kit that did the nodding with "...the return of the crest featuring a Robin perched on a football in front of the iconic Clifton Suspension Bridge. It hints at the kit of the late 1980s, an era which saw City lift the Football League Trophy in 1986, followed by promotion from the old Third Division in 1989."

2017/18 - first season I can see where there was no nodding, no tribute, no retro.

• Like 2