IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

A striker to replace outgoing Conway, probably another one on top that’ll be the ‘physical 9’ from abroad. 

Bird is James’ replacement, another CM probably needed on top as King is off & Murphy probably won’t be fit for the start of the season and no one has any idea how good he actually is yet. 

Need another backup to replace Bajic. 

An AM that isn’t Twine as I would be amazed if he comes back. 

Other than that, I really can’t see too much happening unless we sell more of the Crown Jewels again. I genuinely believe January was the bulk of the bigger summer business. 

What is actually the matter with Murphy 

59 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I see no point in Cornick being in the squad, he adds nothing of any worth 

Conway, he can go and club need to get best possible deal as I don’t think he is they type of player that fits LMs plans and the way he wants to play

with Bird coming in and a likely starter with Knight in midfield then I think it’s a fine balance as to whether both James & Williams are given new deals but cover will be needed and I wonder if Brannigan will be prised away from Oxford 

where we have struggled and continue to is in attack, if Conway is sold then 2 forwards & a No10 are a must.

Certainly physically we have been lacking and need forwards who can compete and create more problems for defences. If we go for Twine as the 10 then I can see us spending a decent wedge in the summer 

Cornick of Luton, or did they see the best of him? Maybe he is a tradeable.

I mean that's great. If Manning and his plans aren't suited to Conway and vice versa, well it happens of course but it feels a waste and a misstep really. Not sure selling Conway is the answer..albeit if he definitely won't sign maybe there is a decision to be made.

Brannagan? I wouldn't be enthused personally, he strikes me of an age that isn't conducive to stepping up.

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

A striker to replace outgoing Conway, probably another one on top that’ll be the ‘physical 9’ from abroad. 

Bird is James’ replacement, another CM probably needed on top as King is off & Murphy probably won’t be fit for the start of the season and no one has any idea how good he actually is yet. 

Other than that, I really can’t see too much happening unless we sell more of the Crown Jewels again. I genuinely believe January was the bulk of the bigger summer business. 

Yep.

Bird is certainly the replacement for James or Williams. I’m still guessing one stays & that we don’t replace King because Benarous, Murphy & Stokes are all expected to be in or around the squad.

If we don’t sign Twine we need a 10, we already need one striker (2 as you say if Conway goes), plus a back up keeper, because the debate as to whether Max is no. 1 is well and truly over.

Leaving aside those (Bird, Stokes) we already know are on their way, that looks like a maximum of 4 to me.

Not looking forward to summer transfers because

1. BT will have too big a say, and Manning is inexperienced at this level 

2. We need a squad with greater depth, and can’t see that happening from what has been said 

3. Not impressed with last window, ie Stokes and Murphy, and, of course, Mebude

• Like 6

15 hours ago, redkev said:

What is actually the matter with Murphy 

Constant pain and stiffness in joints, can’t get in any run or flow of proper training. Nowhere near fit enough to be considered to even be in a u21 squad. But of course we won’t hear that from Tinnion. 

Pure speculation on my path, but it seems pretty well known that we passed on signing him in the summer, probably to do with this same problem. Scrap the manager and medical team who didn’t want to risk it, someone (Tinnion) wants to sign him so makes the call. Something like he has would be pretty clearly visible in the muscle and tendon scans done by a/the club doctor. 

Certainly looks like an egg on face move so far. But they will do what seems to be the Bristol City way atm: double down on covering it up with an explanation that makes no sense and everyone can see through. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

19 hours ago, HengroveReds said:

Vitally important transfer window for the Manning / Tinnion era, but realistically who can we expect to leave / come in?

My Thoughts:

Outs: 

Matty James (pure fact at 32 will we offer him 2 year deal, which he could get at a lower champ / promotion chasing league 1                                       Bajic - Wants to play, fair enough let go     Andy King - City through and through but limited playing time, maybe coaching staff but seems to of gone quiet on that front since Pearson left. 
Mebude - No words other than Dire.          Harry Cornick - Try’s his best but not cut it unfortunately                                                 Ayman Benouros - LOAN (big injury needs a league 1 loan to prove his worth, huge talent though).                     Nakhi Wells - cash in if any takers, especially if Tinnion states 2 strikers coming in plus Conway and Palmer Houlden 

INCOMINGS - 

Twine if 2.5/3 mil max or new Number 10 

2 strikers 

Max Bird

Josh Stokes 

Joe Williams new contract 

anyone else?

Please please pretty please can we list Mehmeti as an "out" also.

34 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Constant pain and stiffness in joints, can’t get in any run or flow of proper training. Nowhere near fit enough to be considered to even be in a u21 squad. But of course we won’t hear that from Tinnion. 

Pure speculation on my path, but it seems pretty well known that we passed on signing him in the summer, probably to do with this same problem. Scrap the manager and medical team who didn’t want to risk it, someone (Tinnion) wants to sign him so makes the call. Something like he has would be pretty clearly visible in the muscle and tendon scans done by a/the club doctor. 

Certainly looks like an egg on face move so far. But they will do what seems to be the Bristol City way atm: double down on covering it up with an explanation that makes no sense and everyone can see through. 

Looking like not one for the future then 🙈🤡

36 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Pure speculation on my path, but it seems pretty well known that we passed on signing him in the summer, probably to do with this same problem. 

I can see the logic: we bought Joe Williams & he gets majorly crocked. We do the same with McCrorie. However, at least with Murphy we know what's wrong with him before we buy him, so we're already prepared & not expecting to see him feature. #smartrecruitment

• Haha 6

18 hours ago, petehinton said:

You don't feel there's a chance James stays? 😩

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Thanks for sharing 👍

1 minute ago, mozo said:

You don't feel there's a chance James stays? 😩

Thanks for sharing 👍

I’d make getting James to sign a new deal an absolute priority. But I can’t see it happening. 

Will be a monumental loss. As big as losing Scott/Semenyo imo. 

• Like 18

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I’d make getting James to sign a new deal an absolute priority. But I can’t see it happening. 

It would certainly put a lot of pressure on Bird to come in and be a consistent performer.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, mozo said:

It would certainly put a lot of pressure on Bird to come in and be a consistent performer.

It also doesn’t improve us, is my view. At the very best, he comes in and is as good as James which would be truly excellent. But that’s about it. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, petehinton said:

It also doesn’t improve us, is my view. At the very best, he comes in and is as good as James which would be truly excellent. But that’s about it. 

It’s also the squad depth issue.

Unless Williams stays if James does go, we are then 2 senior midfielders down with only Max Bird currently lined up.

Worth pointing out as well that Andy King is widely expected not to be with us next season but he’s been in the match day squad 29/41 times already & with a subs bench that has included the likes of Knight-Lebel, Yeboah, Nelson, Mebude, Meerholz, Backwell & Araoye, none of whom have a single league start between them, that’s yet more experience lost.

Hopefully Benarous will be fit enough to be involved next season but you are taking a very big risk if you’re counting on that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Seem to be getting de ja vu from the Lee Johnson era, where we signed Rory Holden, touted best youngster in the Irish league at the time, now playing his trade in the Welsh leagues. 

Really hope it works for Murphy, hope the off field work puts him ahead and in his stride.  

Typical city board theme though praising and promising us fans he’s the next big thing before he even kicks a ball for us, must be hard for the kid only 18 moving country having setbacks and the board overhanging that pressure on his head. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

If James get a new contract then it means Manning has managed to persuade the club to do so. 
I know for a fact that Nige had disagreements with “the club” over renewing James’ contract. Nige wanted him, “the club” did not want him. 
This was one of the things that began numerous spats between Nige and “the club”. 
If Manning has managed to persuade “the club” to renew James then it makes an even further mockery of why they sacked Pearson. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

If James get a new contract then it means Manning has managed to persuade the club to do so. 
I know for a fact that Nige had disagreements with “the club” over renewing James’ contract. Nige wanted him, “the club” did not want him. 
This was one of the things that began numerous spats between Nige and “the club”. 
If Manning has managed to persuade “the club” to renew James then it makes an even further mockery of why they sacked Pearson. 

Or Manning wants him to too, but the club (Tinnion) still won’t allow it. Not sure what would be worse. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Or Manning wants him to too, but the club (Tinnion) still won’t allow it. Not sure what would be worse. 

Yep. Could go either way. All I know is that the James contract extension was definitely something that Nige and “the club” disagreed on. 

On 06/04/2024 at 19:06, Silvio Dante said:

Subtitle of thread needs to be “HIS PLAYERS”

Put simply, if you think Liam needs “His Players” then you should be recommending 5-6 incoming's - and starting ones. If you aren’t recommending that then the conclusion is he’s underperforming with a capable squad.

So, what side you going to fall on? Shit squad or poor manager.

There is no other option.

It’s as it always is with us imo, a negative cancelling out a positive. 

Like this season our very decent defence cancelled out by a below average attack. A slightly above average squad and a slightly below average manager. With a slightly above average manager we would’ve finished between 8-10th I think which was the goal/expectation a lot of people had. 

Sad that we can never seem to get both right at the same time! 

21/22: 7th best attack, 22nd best defence. 

Wait 1 season… 

23/24: 19th best attack, 4th best defence. 

I know we had to sell Semenyo for FFP and Scott wanted to leave but can’t help but imagine how this season could’ve gone if we kept both! 

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Yep. Could go either way. All I know is that the James contract extension was definitely something that Nige and “the club” disagreed on. 

Although wasn’t Nige happy to run the process to see what alternatives Tins and Sean could come up with…

…before dismissing them 🤣🤣🤣

On 06/04/2024 at 21:34, Mr Popodopolous said:

Cornick of Luton, or did they see the best of him? Maybe he is a tradeable.

I mean that's great. If Manning and his plans aren't suited to Conway and vice versa, well it happens of course but it feels a waste and a misstep really. Not sure selling Conway is the answer..albeit if he definitely won't sign maybe there is a decision to be made.

Brannagan? I wouldn't be enthused personally, he strikes me of an age that isn't conducive to stepping up.

Cornick is woeful. I love Nige but he was the worst signing of his era which in fairness on that whole was decent. I would trade Cornick, Mehmeti and Conway this summer and I also wouldn’t go in for Twine. That’s literally what we need, 4 new attacking options with pace, guile, creativity and power. We are such a boring side. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

14 hours ago, Harry said:

It won't look good either way. 
Manning wants James and gets him ? As you say , mockery .
Manning wants him but doesn't because JL & Tins disagree ? Might as well stop messing and make Jon manager and Tins assistant . 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

@Harry - do you think that this is purely linked to MJ being a “Pearson Player” - didn’t want to extend, knowing that NP wouldn’t be here beyond this season?

Now NP has gone - JL and BT want rid of any NP “people”?

Like many others have said, subject to terms, I’d like us to keep MJ as we are currently, a better team with him in the side…..will also allow Bird to settle in, if he is seen as MJ replacement long-term.

On 06/04/2024 at 17:53, HengroveReds said:

Vitally important transfer window for the Manning / Tinnion era, but realistically who can we expect to leave / come in?

My Thoughts:

Outs: 

Matty James (pure fact at 32 will we offer him 2 year deal, which he could get at a lower champ / promotion chasing league 1                                       Bajic - Wants to play, fair enough let go     Andy King - City through and through but limited playing time, maybe coaching staff but seems to of gone quiet on that front since Pearson left. 
Mebude - No words other than Dire.          Harry Cornick - Try’s his best but not cut it unfortunately                                                 Ayman Benouros - LOAN (big injury needs a league 1 loan to prove his worth, huge talent though).                     Nakhi Wells - cash in if any takers, especially if Tinnion states 2 strikers coming in plus Conway and Palmer Houlden 

INCOMINGS - 

Twine if 2.5/3 mil max or new Number 10 

2 strikers 

Max Bird

Josh Stokes 

Joe Williams new contract 

anyone else?

I would keep James. He impacts the team so much with his class and professionalism

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Cornick is woeful. I love Nige but he was the worst signing of his era which in fairness on that whole was decent. I would trade Cornick, Mehmeti and Conway this summer and I also wouldn’t go in for Twine. That’s literally what we need, 4 new attacking options with pace, guile, creativity and power. We are such a boring side. 

When we the last time Conway looked a threat. Where has his pace gone? Where has his aggression gone.

Head is probably more with his mate in Bournemouth but he is not in the same league.

• Like 2

On 06/04/2024 at 20:59, Harry said:

“Doing our business early”. 

🤣🤣 They say that every bloody window and it’s only ever happened once. 
In 2014 when we got Wade Elliot, Mark Little, Korey Smith & Luke Freeman before the end of June, and swiftly followed by Wilbraham and Ayling a week later. 
We were all done and dusted by 8th July!  
It’s never happened since……..and it ain’t gonna happen this summer either, not with tweedle-dum and tweedle-dee doing the deals. 

What a great window that was

14 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

When we the last time Conway looked a threat. Where has his pace gone? Where has his aggression gone.

Head is probably more with his mate in Bournemouth but he is not in the same league.

Looks pretty obvious he's off in the summer. If we know, I've no idea why he keeps starting games.

19 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I’m not sure that Conway has ever had aggression as part of his game and you’re absolutely right that he’s not in the same class as Scott or Semenyo. 

I seriously can’t see any other Championship club coming in for him let alone a PL outfit. If he go I can only see him going abroad.

23 hours ago, petehinton said:

To add to this, it’s his birthday today. Nothing of the usual birthday celebration post from the media team, told not to post anything….? 🤔🤔

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

To add to this, it’s his birthday today. Nothing of the usual birthday celebration post from the media team, told not to post anything….? 🤔🤔

Will get downsy to give him a birthday shout out at Half time Wednesday haha on behalf of OTIB haha

Edited by HengroveReds
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It’s also the squad depth issue.

Unless Williams stays if James does go, we are then 2 senior midfielders down with only Max Bird currently lined up.

Worth pointing out as well that Andy King is widely expected not to be with us next season but he’s been in the match day squad 29/41 times already & with a subs bench that has included the likes of Knight-Lebel, Yeboah, Nelson, Mebude, Meerholz, Backwell & Araoye, none of whom have a single league start between them, that’s yet more experience lost.

Hopefully Benarous will be fit enough to be involved next season but you are taking a very big risk if you’re counting on that.

Next season has the makings of a car crash at this rate.

An injury-prone squad light on numbers, lacking quality, lacking leaders who actually know what success looks like, coached by an inexperienced, negative, charisma-free robot, answering to a teknikal director who's one and only attempt at building a squad, in 2005, was a total failure. Meanwhile, an invisible owner has cut the purse strings and left his manchild, know nothing son in charge of the whole sorry mess.

What could possibly go wrong?   

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1