IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Vitally important transfer window for the Manning / Tinnion era, but realistically who can we expect to leave / come in?

My Thoughts:

Outs: 

Matty James (pure fact at 32 will we offer him 2 year deal, which he could get at a lower champ / promotion chasing league 1                                       Bajic - Wants to play, fair enough let go     Andy King - City through and through but limited playing time, maybe coaching staff but seems to of gone quiet on that front since Pearson left. 
Mebude - No words other than Dire.          Harry Cornick - Try’s his best but not cut it unfortunately                                                 Ayman Benouros - LOAN (big injury needs a league 1 loan to prove his worth, huge talent though).                     Nakhi Wells - cash in if any takers, especially if Tinnion states 2 strikers coming in plus Conway and Palmer Houlden 

INCOMINGS - 

Twine if 2.5/3 mil max or new Number 10 

2 strikers 

Max Bird

Josh Stokes 

Joe Williams new contract 

anyone else?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

With Robert’s looking pretty decent I wouldn’t mind if we cashed in Pring for decent money.  Use the fund to strengthen up top 

Dunno about that, our squad is quite thin and you need 2 in each position ideally.

Trading in our best assets, prior FFP emergency notwithstanding shouldn't be a goer.

• Like 2

Fending off any potential interest in Max, Vyner, Dickie, Pring will be important. 

Hard to comment on midfield until we know about Jamo and Williams. Knight seemingly settling in further back. Bird coming in regardless is good news. King I’m confident will move on/into coaching.

Forward line is where the work is so should be an exciting summer. I can see Cornick and Wells being let go for cut price deals. Though seeing Manning talk about Nahki maybe he’ll want him around as an old head. Conway will be off I think. Stokes coming in but we’ve no idea if he’s viewed as first team from next season. Twine another question mark. One or two strikers earmarked as a target. Final third will be busy this summer!

Assuming we plan to continue with the 3-4-2-1, this is how I currently see the squad for next season.

Players that I've omitted are either those who I feel don't really have a role to play in the system (e.g. Bell), those who are out of contract and looking unlikely to be extended (e.g. Naismith), or those who I don't think are ready to be relied upon as a regular starter (e.g. Murphy).

I'm wanting 2 players we can rely upon per position.

A "?" essentially means "We're lacking someone to fill this role".

image.png.da1f704c9813e5c1a6bc9eca8eec4a2d.png

IMO, there are 2 big holes to fill in the starting 11:

• An attacking/creative midfielder
  • A new striker, assuming Conway will leave

I'd like to see us spend the vast majority of our budget for the summer on getting these 2 signings right.

Outside of that, I think there are a number of positions in which we need to add depth (i.e. a "second choice"). I'm happy for us to be shrewd with this, relying on young players we already have at the club (if they're ready), players who are out of contract, or lower league players who we feel can make a step up.  Those positions are:

• Another attacking midfielder (is Stokes/Benarous ready to fill this role?)
  • A RWB
  • A LWB
  • A CB
  • A GK

Obviously, this assumes no one (bar Conway) in the above squad is sold. Naturally, if other players were to be sold then they would need replacing too.

Edited by Supersonic Robin

We have a solid base on which to build. That has been bequeathed. A squad with a good mindset too.

We should not, I repeat not unless we can get great players for great value be looking at an overhaul IMO.

Hard work has been done pretty much between Summer 2021 and January 2023 to stabilise the FFP position- maybe Scott sale the final element.

Build on the base, lose as few key players as possible and look to retain James and Williams.

If Cornick and Wells are as poor as people say, will we find takers? Albeit I appreciate age isn't on the side of Wells.

Wouldn't be averse to us spending relatively big to build on the solid base.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Subtitle of thread needs to be “HIS PLAYERS”

Put simply, if you think Liam needs “His Players” then you should be recommending 5-6 incoming's - and starting ones. If you aren’t recommending that then the conclusion is he’s underperforming with a capable squad.

So, what side you going to fall on? Shit squad or poor manager.

There is no other option.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1

I think James will sign a one year extension. Williams will probably want more than we are willing to offer contract length wise. Can see him going to Bolton if they are promoted. Bird essentially replaces King so we would still be one short in the middle, Naismith able to step in if needed/can stay fit. Need some creativity in this area as well.

Centre back needed depending on Atkinson.

Wide areas I don’t think will be priority with Mehmeti, Sykes and Bell in there.

That leaves at least one striker, probably two. Wells won’t have the legs for another full season and Conway’s contract situation will probably mean he isn’t around next season.

Back up keeper to Max (this is a compliment as a few months ago I was calling for a Max replace!).

I would say a minimum of six players to hold our own next season. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Put simply, if you think Liam needs “His Players” then you should be recommending 5-6 incoming's - and starting ones. If you aren’t recommending that then the conclusion is he’s underperforming with a capable squad.

How about very average squad, with a very average manager?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Assuming we plan to continue with the 3-4-2-1, this is how I currently see the squad for next season.

Players that I've omitted are either those who I feel don't really have a role to play in the system (e.g. Bell), those who are out of contract and looking unlikely to be extended (e.g. Naismith), or those who I don't think are ready to be relied upon as a regular starter (e.g. Murphy).

I'm wanting 2 players we can rely upon per position.

A "?" essentially means "We're lacking someone to fill this role".

image.png.da1f704c9813e5c1a6bc9eca8eec4a2d.png

IMO, there are 2 big holes to fill in the starting 11:

• An attacking/creative midfielder
  • A new striker, assuming Conway will leave

I'd like to see us spend the vast majority of our budget for the summer on getting these 2 signings right.

Outside of that, I think there are a number of positions in which we need to add depth (i.e. a "second choice"). I'm happy for us to be shrewd with this, relying on young players we already have at the club (if they're ready), players who are out of contract, or lower league players who we feel can make a step up.  Those positions are:

• Another attacking midfielder (is Stokes/Benarous ready to fill this role?)
  • A RWB
  • A LWB
  • A CB
  • A GK

Obviously, this assumes no one (bar Conway) in the above squad is sold. Naturally, if other players were to be sold then they would need replacing too.

Naismith isn't out of contract - 1 year left.

I agree about not including him though! I'd sell this summer.

Sykes is one of our most consistent performers, one of the first names on the teamsheet. So for me he's not an understudy to anyone and certainly not to one of our most inconsistent performers.

Him, McCrorie and Tanner are sufficient numbers on the Right hand side, I would have thought - if we are continuing with a small squad.

For the same reason, we don't need a deputy for Dickie as him, Vyner, Atkinson and Roberts, with Tanner and Pring as emergency cover, should be enough numbers even with our wretched injury record. Roberts can also cover Pring. 

I don't think Bird hasn't signed for us to be an understudy either. I guess one of James or Williams will be allowed to leave - I'd go with you and keep James.

Which leaves the No.10 - the critical position to fill this summer it seems.

Well firstly - big ask, no pressure - but I'm not giving up on Benarous.

If we signed Twine or similar and Benarous was back to full fitness, that's your starting 10s. Mehmeti as cover but I have my doubts about him because the problem is not with his talent but what's between his ears.

Having said all that - we still can't be sure how Manning plans to line up - will it be 3 at the back or will it be 4 - will it be 2 no.10s or just 1? 

But whichever way he does line up, it seems we can be sure it will be a lone striker and at least 1 no.10. Which means there's one other puzzle to solve:

What to do with Sam Bell.

I find it hard to believe we'll jettison him just yet but where he fits into the above is a bit of a head scratcher. 

A striker to replace outgoing Conway, probably another one on top that’ll be the ‘physical 9’ from abroad. 

Bird is James’ replacement, another CM probably needed on top as King is off & Murphy probably won’t be fit for the start of the season and no one has any idea how good he actually is yet. 

Need another backup to replace Bajic. 

An AM that isn’t Twine as I would be amazed if he comes back. 

Other than that, I really can’t see too much happening unless we sell more of the Crown Jewels again. I genuinely believe January was the bulk of the bigger summer business. 

OK; the Board need to decide if City are a selling club and sell Max and a few others to leave and use their fees to keep the club going for another years or two. Alternately; we have the nucleus of a decent side here. Speculate to accumulate and buy in some top Champ level players and go for it.

If this season's promoted clubs decide to allow some first teamers to leave, we should at least have a look as hey are good enough to get promoted from this level.

As stated in the OP two strikers are required to capitalise on the balls we put into the area.

20 minutes ago, petehinton said:

A striker to replace outgoing Conway, probably another one on top that’ll be the ‘physical 9’ from abroad. 

Bird is James’ replacement, another CM probably needed on top as King is off & Murphy probably won’t be fit for the start of the season and no one has any idea how good he actually is yet. 

Need another backup to replace Bajic. 

An AM that isn’t Twine as I would be amazed if he comes back. 

Other than that, I really can’t see too much happening unless we sell more of the Crown Jewels again. I genuinely believe January was the bulk of the bigger summer business. 

The Technical Director seemed to hint that we were doing our business early. However, that business won't be anywhere near enough as it stands imo.

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Naismith isn't out of contract - 1 year left.

I agree about not including him though! I'd sell this summer.

Sykes is one of our most consistent performers, one of the first names on the teamsheet. So for me he's not an understudy to anyone and certainly not to one of our most inconsistent performers.

Him, McCrorie and Tanner are sufficient numbers on the Right hand side, I would have thought - if we are continuing with a small squad.

For the same reason, we don't need a deputy for Dickie as him, Vyner, Atkinson and Roberts, with Tanner and Pring as emergency cover, should be enough numbers even with our wretched injury record. Roberts can also cover Pring. 

I don't think Bird hasn't signed for us to be an understudy either. I guess one of James or Williams will be allowed to leave - I'd go with you and keep James.

Which leaves the No.10 - the critical position to fill this summer it seems.

Well firstly - big ask, no pressure - but I'm not giving up on Benarous.

If we signed Twine or similar and Benarous was back to full fitness, that's your starting 10s. Mehmeti as cover but I have my doubts about him because the problem is not with his talent but what's between his ears.

Having said all that - we still can't be sure how Manning plans to line up - will it be 3 at the back or will it be 4 - will it be 2 no.10s or just 1? 

But whichever way he does line up, it seems we can be sure it will be a lone striker and at least 1 no.10. Which means there's one other puzzle to solve:

What to do with Sam Bell.

I find it hard to believe we'll jettison him just yet but where he fits into the above is a bit of a head scratcher. 

Thanks for the heads up re Naismith. I think he's a decent player, but not sure where he'd fit in. We seem to have good numbers in CM, and he's not quite the right profile of CB for my liking (I'd prefer another strong aerially dominant CB a-la Dickie/Atkinson). Still, if he's under contract then I'm happy with him as an option at CB.

In terms of who starts and who's cover, that's not too important to me right now. I'm really just trying to get the "first 22" down. That being said:

• Agree Bird has likely come here to start, but also can't see James or Knight being dropped if they're available. Maybe a gradual phasing from James to Bird through the season?
  • Sykes vs Mehmeti is a tough one for me. I'm a much bigger Mehmeti fan than many on this forum. I think Mehmeti has performed well recently and is a slightly more natural fit for the creative AM role, but I think Sykes is a more consistent and reliable option. I'd be happy to start either.
  • For me, Sykes and Mehmeti are both miles ahead of Benarous. Given how little professional football Benarous has played and how long he's been injured for, I'd be slightly hesistant about even having Benarous as cover. Absolutely no idea what level he's at right now. Unfortunately, such major injury issues can really derail a player's progress.

In terms of cover in general, I like 2 players per position. Though we have a few players capable of covering multiple positions (e.g. Pring, Sykes, Tanner, etc), that starts looking very precarious once you pick up just a couple of injuries.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Both options by the sounds of today’s post match.  Which makes recruitment harder.

2 hours ago, Graham76 said:

With Robert’s looking pretty decent I wouldn’t mind if we cashed in Pring for decent money.  Use the fund to strengthen up top 

If Roberts plays in the back 3 or 4 (his best position) and Pring goes who will play left back / wingback?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We have a solid base on which to build. That has been bequeathed. A squad with a good mindset too.

We should not, I repeat not unless we can get great players for great value be looking at an overhaul IMO.

Hard work has been done pretty much between Summer 2021 and January 2023 to stabilise the FFP position- maybe Scott sale the final element.

Build on the base, lose as few key players as possible and look to retain James and Williams.

If Cornick and Wells are as poor as people say, will we find takers? Albeit I appreciate age isn't on the side of Wells.

Wouldn't be averse to us spending relatively big to build on the solid base.

I see no point in Cornick being in the squad, he adds nothing of any worth 

Conway, he can go and club need to get best possible deal as I don’t think he is they type of player that fits LMs plans and the way he wants to play

with Bird coming in and a likely starter with Knight in midfield then I think it’s a fine balance as to whether both James & Williams are given new deals but cover will be needed and I wonder if Brannigan will be prised away from Oxford 

where we have struggled and continue to is in attack, if Conway is sold then 2 forwards & a No10 are a must.

Certainly physically we have been lacking and need forwards who can compete and create more problems for defences. If we go for Twine as the 10 then I can see us spending a decent wedge in the summer 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham76 said:

We already have the funds. Why should we have to sell one of good young players that we have developed to fund strengthening the team.

plenty of champ standard players from teams who can potentially go down this season, and players won’t want to play in League 1 or even League 1 players looking to make the step up if there team fails in promotion. 

Sheff Weds - Ike Ugbo

Huddersfield - Jack Rudoni, Sorba Thomas, Alex Matos

Milwall - Billy Mitchell, Kevin Nisbet

Plymouth - Ryan Hardie, Bali Muamba

Jimmy Dunne caught my eye recently QPR, centre half out of contract in summer, worth a punt after seeing Dickie excel, good age too 26 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Fending off any potential interest in Max, Vyner, Dickie, Pring will be important. 

Hard to comment on midfield until we know about Jamo and Williams. Knight seemingly settling in further back. Bird coming in regardless is good news. King I’m confident will move on/into coaching.

Forward line is where the work is so should be an exciting summer. I can see Cornick and Wells being let go for cut price deals. Though seeing Manning talk about Nahki maybe he’ll want him around as an old head. Conway will be off I think. Stokes coming in but we’ve no idea if he’s viewed as first team from next season. Twine another question mark. One or two strikers earmarked as a target. Final third will be busy this summer!

wouldn’t be surprised to see Cornick link up with Ex boss Nathan Jones at Charlton - be going for a promotion push next season 

• Like 1

Well an interesting array of ideas and options. But surely BT, Crayon boy, and LM will know who they intend to sell and have the wanted newbies already lined up. But I just feel that lovely 'if' dynamic will play a big part in the transfer activities this summer. And the big one is if SL will free up the cash to trade in the relevent level of markets we need to be attracting players from.

I might get a season ticket for myself and grandsons next season. It could be fun to watch 

COYR 

3 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

wouldn’t be surprised to see Cornick link up with Ex boss Nathan Jones at Charlton - be going for a promotion push next season 

What about our promotion push ?

5 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

plenty of champ standard players from teams who can potentially go down this season, and players won’t want to play in League 1 or even League 1 players looking to make the step up if there team fails in promotion. 

Sheff Weds - Ike Ugbo

Huddersfield - Jack Rudoni, Sorba Thomas, Alex Matos

Milwall - Billy Mitchell, Kevin Nisbet

Plymouth - Ryan Hardie, Bali Muamba

Jimmy Dunne caught my eye recently QPR, centre half out of contract in summer, worth a punt after seeing Dickie excel, good age too 26 

Yep, add Viktor Johansen (Rotherham), Juninho Bacuna (Brum), etc to some of those above.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The Technical Director seemed to hint that we were doing our business early. However, that business won't be anywhere near enough as it stands imo.

“Doing our business early”. 

🤣🤣 They say that every bloody window and it’s only ever happened once. 
In 2014 when we got Wade Elliot, Mark Little, Korey Smith & Luke Freeman before the end of June, and swiftly followed by Wilbraham and Ayling a week later. 
We were all done and dusted by 8th July!  
It’s never happened since……..and it ain’t gonna happen this summer either, not with tweedle-dum and tweedle-dee doing the deals. 

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

In 2014 when we got Wade Elliot, Mark Little, Korey Smith & Luke Freeman before the end of June, and swiftly followed by Wilbraham and Ayling a week later. 
It’s never happened since……..and it ain’t gonna happen this summer either, not with tweedle-dum and tweedle-dee doing the deals. 

Last summer was decent too, McCrorie, Dickie and Roberts before end of June, Knight dragged into July.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I'm not in any doubt. Poor manager! He may be a good coach who can teach players to learn about moves and the technical side of football.

But one needs to be a manager who can organise a team to cope with all of the changes in tactics/personnel etc that opponents throw at us during a match. IMO, Manning is unable to manage a team when the opponents and their manager, change tactics several times during the ninety minutes.

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly. 

And as our Total Dipshit Teknikal Direkter talks nothing but self-preserving bullshit, there is slightly less than **** all chance of it happening this time.

• Like 2