IGNORED

Sykes

Super

Don't want this to sound as a negative but wasn't overly impressed with him again last night. Is he carrying an injury? His form on the whole since he arrived has been very good but seems to have been struggling for a while now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Don't want this to sound as a negative but wasn't overly impressed with him again last night. Is he carrying an injury? His form on the whole since he arrived has been very good but seems to have been struggling for a while now.

Last night - Earns the penalty

Plymouth - Involved in the goal

Leicester - Sets up a goal

I didn’t see Sunderland but in three games of the last four he’s had a goal involvement, and as two of those were 1-0 I’d say he’s been key. Not our best performer last night but off the bench against both Leicester and Plymouth I thought he was very good.

So, disagree 🙂

• Like 13

I think it's a bit mad that he's become a crucial player for us already, and maybe that expectation is a bit high.

He's not playing at his absolute best atm but I'm sure he'll get back to it. 

Thought he was disappointing last night but thought he was excellent at Plymouth so swings and roundabouts like most of our team.  Don’t think he’s done enough to stay in the team after last night & fully expect Memehti & Twine to play in behind if we persist with 3 at the back.

• Like 1

Aye. Sykes, Twine, Conway, Wells and Mehmeti were awful last night..

Strange thread imo. Sykes has made a massive difference in the recent great form, starting from when he came on against Swansea to break the losing trend

• Like 3

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Poor on the ball, assist aside.  Very good off the ball.  

Good summary.  Yes, a bit wasteful with it, but really found lots of space and gave good options.  Not sure what he was trying to achieve on his 1v1?

On Saturday, I thought him, Pring and Twine looked like they were going through the motions.  I was very interested to see them last night.  Saturday was a one-off.  Sykes has had a few one-offs this season, but generally he’s been pretty important to us.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Poor on the ball, assist aside.  Very good off the ball.  

McCrorie got frustrated with him a few times last night. He was very good i thought.

Edited by Super
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good summary.  Yes, a bit wasteful with it, but really found lots of space and gave good options.  Not sure what he was trying to achieve on his 1v1?

On Saturday, I thought him, Pring and Twine looked like they were going through the motions.  I was very interested to see them last night.  Saturday was a one-off.  Sykes has had a few one-offs this season, but generally he’s been pretty important to us.

I think he tried to do a "Iheanacho" (disallowed goal the other week) and discovered he doesn't have the talent...............

• Haha 1

I think we played very well as a unit - you don't really criticise anyone much after a result like that. Vyner made a couple of howlers in the game, but Blackburn couldn't make much of them. But, like Syksey, he played his part in the win and overall, he's a positive, as ever. 

• Like 1

Not at his best night, but for a squad that basically relies on the same 17 players to play in all the games, he’s been a decent contributor this season.

Certainly should have scored from Twine’s sublime pass, but if he was going to pick a game to miss a sitter then one we win 5-0 is a decent choice.

• Like 1

I think he goes into  the summer with one season remaining of his contract.  It will be interesting to see if the club offers him something this summer or lets him run his contract down.  I get the impression, and it’s my personal opinion, that he thinks he’s better than he actually is.  I see him as an average championship player and can’t see there being a long queue of clubs desperate to sign him.   Happy to see him resign, but won’t be a disaster if he doesn’t.

Edited by Malago

6 minutes ago, Malago said:

I think he goes into  the summer with one season remaining of his contract.  It will be interesting to see if the club offers him something this summer or lets him run his contract down.  I get the impression, and it’s my personal opinion, that he thinks he’s better than he actually is.  I see him as an average championship player and can’t see there being a long queue of clubs desperate to sign him.   Happy to see him resign, but won’t be a disaster if he doesn’t.

I spoke to one of the NP coaching staff about Sykes and he said that they made a point of bigging him up because the player was too modest, and maybe didn't realise he had the potential to play in in the Premier League. 

• Hmmm 1

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think we played very well as a unit - you don't really criticise anyone much after a result like that. Vyner made a couple of howlers in the game, but Blackburn couldn't make much of them. But, like Syksey, he played his part in the win and overall, he's a positive, as ever. 

Interesting you pick out those two. Like everyone sitting around me, i think the players have looked far more 'on-it' and 'intelligent' since Liam came in. However, these two are important exceptions; i think Vyner was brilliant under Pearson and Skyes was at his most dangerous then rather than since October. In Zak's defense one of Liam's great tactics last night was to play the long ball against a suspect defence and several paid off- two didnt but that's the nature of a higher risk, longer pass. As you say, no strong criticism last night - especially the manager's subs! 3 goals and an assist in short time

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Interesting you pick out those two. Like everyone sitting around me, i think the players have looked far more 'on-it' and 'intelligent' since Liam came in. However, these two are important exceptions; i think Vyner was brilliant under Pearson and Skyes was at his most dangerous then rather than since October. In Zak's defense one of Liam's great tactics last night was to play the long ball against a suspect defence and several paid off- two didnt but that's the nature of a higher risk, longer pass. As you say, no strong criticism last night - especially the manager's subs! 3 goals and an assist in short time

Hi Mrs Manning - Liam will be home for tea in a minute!

• Haha 5
  • Facepalm 2

26 minutes ago, mozo said:

I spoke to one of the NP coaching staff about Sykes and he said that they made a point of bigging him up because the player was too modest, and maybe didn't realise he had the potential to play in in the Premier League. 

I’ve said this to other city fans I know. Given his versatility and his athleticism , if he was a few years younger I also think he’d be in with a shout of Premier league.

2 minutes ago, Tony Tootle said:

I’ve said this to other city fans I know. Given his versatility and his athleticism , if he was a few years younger I also think he’d be in with a shout of Premier league.

Even if he can't get there, he should absolutely be aiming to hit those levels. That what Nige and Co were trying get out of him I'd imagine. He's one that needs a carrot not a stick perhaps.

• Like 2

Agree with OP. On the whole he hasn't done as well since coming back from injury, though he is contributing to goals so that's a positive.  I always thought one of the No 10 roles would suit him (certainly more so than Knight) as he can spot a pass and he's one of our better finishers.  Quick too.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Davefevs will be interesting to see what happens with Sykes in the summer.

Entering the last year of his contract and probably not unreasonably asking for a better deal that what he arrived on from Oxford. He'll have other suitors in the Championship as well of course.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him move on rather than lose him for free at the end of the season. I don't want that of course, but he's an established international player now with no bad stats in the division over 2 seasons, he'll expect a decent deal no doubt.

Edited by NcnsBcfc

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Phlegm?

He loves Syco 

25 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

@Davefevs will be interesting to see what happens with Sykes in the summer.

Entering the last year of his contract and probably not unreasonably asking for a better deal that what he arrived on from Oxford. He'll have other suitors in the Championship as well of course.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him move on rather than lose him for free at the end of the season. I don't want that of course, but he's an established international player now with no bad stats in the division over 2 seasons, he'll expect a decent deal no doubt.

Got a year option.  Would imagine club would want to extend him anyway, but have that to fall back on in short term.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Got a year option.  Would imagine club would want to extend him anyway, but have that to fall back on in short term.

Sykes is an excellent Championship player who in my view goes under the radar and the club would be crazy not to offer him an extended deal. He’d get into any of the top Championship clubs, one of only  two other City players that would.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Sykes is an excellent Championship player who in my view goes under the radar and the club would be crazy not to offer him an extended deal. He’d get into any of the top Championship clubs, one of only  two other City players that would.

I like him but there is no way he would get into the Leeds or Leicester starting 11!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We’ll have agree to disagree Tone………:dunno:

I’m interested - who are you dropping from Leeds for Sykes - Gnoto, James, Summerville, Gray? (Without checking I’ll wager all have had a bigger impact) albeit with much better team mates, but that is my point?

4 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I’m interested - who are you dropping from Leeds for Sykes - Gnoto, James, Summerville, Gray? (Without checking I’ll wager all have had a bigger impact) albeit with much better team mates, but that is my point?

I don’t pay too much attention to opponents players on a match by match basis. Obviously I’m aware of the better known players like Vardy, Szmodics and et el.

As I posted previously imv Sykes is underrated by many fans including City fans.

11 hours ago, Roe said:

Aye. Sykes, Twine, Conway, Wells and Mehmeti were awful last night..

Strange thread imo. Sykes has made a massive difference in the recent great form, starting from when he came on against Swansea to break the losing trend

Il say one thing when hes not playing we dont half miss him

• Like 1