IGNORED

Huddersfield Town at home match thread

28 minutes ago, KegCity said:

They’ve been poor together since they started as a pairing. Both good individually just need someone to progress with the ball alongside them.

Playing James and Williams in central midfield in a 3-4-3 formation and shunting Knight out to the right forward position was bizarre. It didn’t work and we only looked any better when Knight went back into midfield as he at least looks to take and pass the ball forward. James and Williams were safety first, creativity zero today.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 3
19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Mixed bag, pathetic dive to try & win a penalty but it stuck to him, he certainly looked to pass to a team mate if they were in a better position (TC didn’t) & whilst he wasn’t a massive goal threat, as I said to you this morning, he’s the type we need.

Like Koroma too, who often scores against us.

These are low budget options & unlike say a punt on a lad from Ligue 2 or Belgium, at least they have experience of the league.

Koroma has been on my list for a while, first came on my radar at Orient.  Had a really bad injury a few seasons back.

19 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Twine was awful today. When he wasn’t giving the ball away, he was weak in possession, wasting opportunities and generally just really poor. If I was a scout watching him today, I would have had nothing positive to report. Contrast the Huddersfield no. 8 Jack Rodoni who was awesome, should have scored, and set up their goal. I would pay £5 million for him over Twine as younger and more potential.

Now you’re talking! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Was their undoing today.

Thought Rebecca Welch was superb (watching on RTV), got all the yellow cards spot on.  Was the penalty an easy decision?

Bugs me when refs fail to add on any time / enough time when stoppages occur in injury time.  They made subs, had injuries, etc.  quite right that game went into 100th minute.  A ref who applied the new laws that others have forgotten.  What was the view of her performance from those of you at AG?

I think I'd give her a 7/10. Not sure about the pen. Was disappointed to hear a few misogynistic comments and anti-ref chants (Huddersfield) which I think a man would not have got in a similar situation. Some of the players seemed to be antagonistic toward her, especially the Huddersfield players at the end. I hope she gave them what for.

The first half was as bad as it’s ever been under Manning, a full on return to the pre-International break cat shit football we’ve endured.

Second half was improved and I thought we were worthy of a late goal to get the draw.

The whole game was lack lustre but fair play to the lads for keeping the unbeaten run going. 

Haven’t  looked at post-match comments , however, I’ve just got back from the game and we were dreadful, static, playing each other into trouble, no movement/options, as always giving the ball away or going backwards from our throw ins, little attacking threat. 

Huddersfield  fans must be completely gutted to not come away with three points, they were by far the better team.

Well , talk about after the Lord Mayors show .

2nd best across the pitch, 2nd to every ball , 2nd to the loose ball and created virtually nothing.

We could have made one change and kept virtually the same team and shape as Vs Blackburn, but like the ghost of Lee Johnson was overseeing the game ,we chose to shuffle the entire pack .

We were awful in the first half, but no changes until that magical 60 minutes has come and gone , ever !

I know Williams got a knock , but he seemed ok so I wonder why he came off and not James who had a stinker .

Let's not kid ourselves , that should have been two or three nil. not a draw. 

Having to start a game with no recognised CB is really unlucky , but we didn't need to set up like that , and we sure didn't need a manager to stand hands in pockets and watch it passively .

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Well , talk about after the Lord Mayors show .

2nd best across the pitch, 2nd to every ball , 2nd to the loose ball and created virtually nothing.

We could have made one change and kept virtually the same team and shape as Vs Blackburn, but like the ghost of Lee Johnson was overseeing the game ,we chose to shuffle the entire pack .

We were awful in the first half, but no changes until that magical 60 minutes has come and gone , ever !

I know Williams got a knock , but he seemed ok so I wonder why he came off and not James who had a stinker .

Let's not kid ourselves , that should have been two or three nil. not a draw. 

Having to start a game with no recognised CB is really unlucky , but we didn't need to set up like that , and we sure didn't need a manager to stand hands in pockets and watch it passively .

Let’s get this straight, we have “no recognised CB” in your words, yet you expect us to play the same formation as Wednesday….which would’ve required an extra CB…..nice work mate.

Edited by Nescot
2 minutes ago, Nescot said:

Let’s get this straight, we have “no recognised CB” in your words, yet you expect us to play the same formation as Wednesday….which would’ve required an extra CB…..nice work mate.

We had one "recognised CB" Vs Blackburn .

With Vyner out we had none, but we could have played JKL an academy player and CB . 

That would have meant the same set up with one change, let me know if I've lost you mate.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
7 minutes ago, Nescot said:

We could have played the exact same formation as Wednesday night and not play so many players in less favourable positions 

• Flames 4
1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I think I'd give her a 7/10. Not sure about the pen. Was disappointed to hear a few misogynistic comments and anti-ref chants (Huddersfield) which I think a man would not have got in a similar situation. Some of the players seemed to be antagonistic toward her, especially the Huddersfield players at the end. I hope she gave them what for.

After the award of the pen, Hudd supporters were singing “the referee’s a w*****”, which I think is unlikely. 

Edited by Rudolf Hucker
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Or...5 points from the first 6 games. 

Seems like a poor start to me.

His whole reign has been periods and streaks good and bad in the League.

1 win, 5 points from 5...

...3 wins, 10 points from Games 6-10.

2 points from the next 5, no goals in 3.

2 wins, followed by 4 successive losses in the next 6.

14 points from the next 7.

Seems a bit shit or bust, all or nothing. The performances are another issue. Some steady regression and certainly in relation to xG.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd say Manning needs 2 more wins minimum to get to something like parity.

Hopefully we can press high as a starting point, like elements of the Leicester, Plymouth, Blackburn games- we are a better side when we take a positive intent based approach.

Yeah, I said before this game he needed 7 more points, and that's 1 ticked off. 

If I had to predict, I'd assume we'll lose to Norwich, beat Rotherham and anything is possible last match.

But... who bloody knows with City!?

I'd like 64 points, but if we finish on 61/62 I won't cry about it. Ultimately it really doesn't matter.

Regards pressing high, we did for the most part today, albeit more selectively. I think Manning wants a more selective high press, but I'm not sure if the players are comfortable with that.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Haven’t  looked at post-match comments , however, I’ve just got back from the game and we were dreadful, static, playing each other into trouble, no movement/options, as always giving the ball away or going backwards from our throw ins, little attacking threat. 

Huddersfield  fans must be completely gutted to not come away with three points, they were by far the better team.

What's your agenda? 

OK; six hours later and looking back.

Yes a disappointing result, but the big positive for me was that having a conceded late in the game, the heads didn't drop as they would have a few weeks back. Instead they went looking for and got a goal back. Deserved or not, that was another point in the bag that a month ago we wouldn't have.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Is this really how pathetically reactionary we are going to be now? One disappointing draw after a decent run of form and a 5-0 win in midweek?

I was Manning out when we on an extended poor run. But our form has been much improved over the past few weeks. We are a mid-table squad doing mid-table things. Will we win games we don’t expect to and lose some we expect to win. Our league position is about par for the squad.

We can’t constantly keep changing manager without really strong justification. Right now I don’t think that strong justification is there, and Manning needs time - and the summer - to see what he can really do.

His football is unbelievably boring.

you want another season watching this borefest ?

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Why won't you cry about it? 

I will be. Standing still/regressing is not acceptable. 

Because if we missed out on what I think is par by just the 2/3 points that's a pretty fine margin.

It would be a bit fussy to then turn around and say we'd convincingly underachieved.

If we lose the last three games it looks a bit worse and I'd not be content with that.

We only today had it confirmed that we can't be promoted this season. So we're not a million miles off, but I appreciate that you had higher expectations than me. 

Edited by mozo
47 minutes ago, mozo said:

Because if we missed out on what I think is par by just the 2/3 points that's a pretty fine margin.

It would be a bit fussy to then turn around and say we'd convincingly underachieved.

If we lose the last three games it looks a bit worse and I'd not be content with that.

We only today had it confirmed that we can't be promoted this season. So we're not a million miles off, but I appreciate that you had higher expectations than me. 

No doubt your expectations at the start of the season were higher than they are now. 

In all fairness having both of this season's centre backs missing made a huge difference. With that makeshift back three they were always going to be tentative & safety first and that set the tempo for a largely uninspiring game. Huddersfield looked dangerous, had more tenacity which meant they were on the front foot and were pretty solid across the park. More than once I saw Tanner either caught the wrong side of their central striker (No.7) or just not strong enough to impose himself on him. When we applied a bit of tempo you could see that unsettled them a little. Rudoni was their best player, shame we couldn't sign him when the opportunity arose.

Hopefully both centre backs will be back next week.

• Like 2

Well thanks to the moaners on here after checking the forum at 5.55 yesterday it was pretty obvious we are rubbish, Manning out, and all the other expletives that was the result of another home defeat from a bottom 3 side.  Now I take defeats like this badly, bin radio Bris, Gas won anyway, was in a real mood, hate losing... Flicking through youtube this morning I tried to avoid all things football and in particular City, but there it was highlights and we didn't lose🎅..

Gone early on here again you lot.....always believe is the mantra isn't it?

3 pens in two games...World gone mad.

• Confused 1